LONGWOOD - Game Discussion

• 179 replies

paultzman

Re: LONGWOOD - Game Discussion
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »
@QSJUHoops: St. John's big three scorers this year - Harrison, Sampson, Greene - a combined 8-35 tonight. Not a recipe #sjubb can afford in most games.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2013, 08:59:17 PM »
Still not worried yet....this is not College football SJU does not get penalized if we win by 20 or by 5. As long as we keep winning we are still heading in the right direction.

The sky is not falling until the sky is falling.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2013, 09:00:23 PM »
Here's a positive (sorry guys):  their defense was excellent, albeit against Longwood.  Especially in the 2nd half.

« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2013, 09:03:44 PM »
2nd half was the best half we've played so far.

« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2013, 09:05:02 PM »
Just a  tidbit. When Brown  played Longwood on their court with Longwoods leading scorer in the game, Brown led by 17 at the half .  Penn State beat Longwood by almost 40 and let's just say that Longwood ( especially playing without t,heir leading scorer ) is not a force to be reckoned with.  After watching this game can you honestly say that we are in a team in the right direction or perhaps Longwood has a few more under performing NBA players then we do?

Also, since when is 24 points "almost 40"?

Actually we are both wrong.  The score was 93-67, they lost by 26, but that was with their leading scorer playing.

« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2013, 09:06:48 PM »
Just a  tidbit. When Brown  played Longwood on their court with Longwoods leading scorer in the game, Brown led by 17 at the half .  Penn State beat Longwood by almost 40 and let's just say that Longwood ( especially playing without t,heir leading scorer ) is not a force to be reckoned with.  After watching this game can you honestly say that we are in a team in the right direction or perhaps Longwood has a few more under performing NBA players then we do?

Also, since when is 24 points "almost 40"?

Actually we are both wrong.  The score was 93-67, they lost by 26, but that was with their leading scorer playing.

Well we won by almost 30, so not too bad.

« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »
30 is the new 40.  Or something like that.

paultzman

« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2013, 09:10:45 PM »
Jordan had 8 points, four assists and two steals.  Give him the ball Lav.

« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2013, 09:15:09 PM »
I agree, Branch brings very little upside. I wonder do the coaches tell the PGs not to penetrate and dish?

« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2013, 09:17:58 PM »
Need to trim down rotation.  Harrison will be be better as season progresses.  If this team is going to be successful at all he needs to be their go to guy and not disappear.  Definitely concerned with Sampson forcing shots and looking soft on defense.  Jordan's passing certainly one of the few positives you can take from this game.  The kid needs to play big minutes.  The one problem I have with him is that his body language on bench was poor.  Not rehashing d' s eyeroll but kid looks to be uninterested.  Hope I am wrong but the drama may not be over.

« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2013, 09:19:58 PM »
Branch was alright.

It is all about the O right now.  They are not consistently hitting from the outside and Sanchez needs to find a niche.

I honestly believe when it comes together they are going to be very tough.

paultzman

« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2013, 09:25:55 PM »
Hopefully staff can get Karr untracked soon.  He had a solid Frosh season, but seems out of sync.  At this point he needs to be more selective on his shots, pass the rock when doubled,or in bad position,and give defense a sniff. He should be our best player. Without him consistently contributing we are in trouble.

« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2013, 09:28:24 PM »
Hopefully staff can get Karr untracked soon.  He had a solid Frosh season, but seems out of sync.  At this point he needs to be more selective on his shots, pass the rock when doubled,or in bad position,and give defense a sniff. He should be our best player. Without him consistently contributing we are in trouble.

Again another reason I am not that worried.  He missed a lot of chippies tonight.

They just need to explode on a team and see if that doesn't have everything fall into place.

This weekend would be a good start.

« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2013, 09:30:14 PM »

Didn't get to see the game - how many minutes did he get? Was he a primary piece of the offense?

« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2013, 09:38:10 PM »
He made a few passes that we have not seen  here at sju since Omar.  Definitely not kidd, but good enough to play right away and make an impact.  Was expecting more of a combo guard, but kid has tons of potential running offense and playing good defense if he is focused.

paultzman

« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2013, 09:39:04 PM »
Hmm

@NYPost_Brazille: Lavin: "I really like this team, I likes the flexibility, we can play in different ways." #sjubb

@Kieran_Lynch: "That’s a good sign as a coach when you have a team that can’t throw the ball in the ocean and is still winning games." Lavin #sjubb
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:45:34 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2013, 09:43:08 PM »
@QSJUHoops: Lavin: "I really feel like this is a late-January, early-February team. But will it happen? Who knows? It's the mystery of coaching." #sjubb

« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2013, 09:43:46 PM »
Huh?

@NYPost_Brazille: Lavin: "I really like this team, I likes the flexibility, we can play in different ways." #sjubb

He's right the problem is not playing styles and flexibility the problem is knocking down shots.  It is not like they are taking 3's where they are being guarded tightly or are off balance.  They are just not ringing the bell.

paultzman

« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2013, 09:50:25 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Jordan returns as St. John’s tops Longwood http://t.co/ICurAO7nwI #sjubb

Poison

« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2013, 09:50:55 PM »
Sampson and Sanchez need to man up. You get the ball under the basket, you go up with it. You're gonna get hit, and you're gonna get hit hard. Then you get up and shoot free throws. Then you do again on the next possession.

Here's some advice for both of them. Watch old game tape of Ty Grant. Neither of those guys will sniff the league until they start playing like a BE frontcourt player should play. I'm inclined to put both of them on the bench if they keep this crap up.