• 425 replies
Bracketology
« on: December 16, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Not in field of 68

Not in last 4 out

Not in next 4 out.

Time for our guys to get to work!

Marquette, Creighton, Nova, and G-Town round out the big east.

jr49

Re: Bracketology
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 06:35:47 PM »

Not in field of 68

Not in last 4 out

Not in next 4 out.

Thats what I been sayin. Some here think all is dandy. Time grows short in a hurry when we not winning. I for one sick of other fans looking forward to selection Sunday. I really thought we were good enough this year so a loss to Penn. St. hurting our chances hanging on. Time for bullshit is over. Kids gotta run off 8 in a row, then they allowed to lose one game. Go Storm.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 06:46:35 PM »

Not in field of 68

Not in last 4 out

Not in next 4 out.

Thats what I been sayin. Some here think all is dandy. Time grows short in a hurry when we not winning. I for one sick of other fans looking forward to selection Sunday. I really thought we were good enough this year so a loss to Penn. St. hurting our chances hanging on. Time for bullshit is over. Kids gotta run off 8 in a row, then they allowed to lose one game. Go Storm.
We have no bad losses, including Penn State, who is ranked 70th on KenPom (Cuse is 7th, Wisconsin is 8th). 

Even if we beat Penn State, we would still need to go, at worst, 10-8 in conference with a nice conference win or two on the resume.  To be safe, 12-6 would do the trick.  I'm not sure we are up to the task, but after yesterday's game, we are certainly capable of it. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 06:47:23 PM by Gray Chudney »

boo3

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:54:49 PM »
 relax guys...it will come down to the BE.   Getting worked up now is pointless.  This isn't news.

We have the potential and ability to win the BE regular season and or the BE tournament.   

Moose

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 07:06:56 PM »
I was going to start a thread but I'll leave that HNK :)

We are 1 game behind pace.  In theory losses to Wisconsin and Cuse were expected.  Were they blowout as some here probably expected?  No.  And clearly with both teams in the Top 5 those are not a big deal.  The PSU loss is the setback.  Beating Cuse would have rectified that loss and more most likely but alas it didn't happen.

3 more non conference games remain (SF, Youngstown, Columbia) until BE starts and another sandwiched in January (Dartmouth).  Win those 4 as SJU should and they are 10-3 out of conference.

11-7 in the BE 'should' in theory be enough provided you don't lose first round of BE tourney.  That would be 22-11.  How do you get to 11?  Well DePaul and Hall 'should' be sweeps.  That is 4.  You have 7 more home games and 7 more road games to win 7 games.  Well within reason.
Remember who broke the Slice news

hnk

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 07:18:13 PM »
Moose this a retread of an old thread...belongs in a thrift shop....but fwiw, I think we can beat a few more other teams twice.....providence is decimated.....if we can steal another away game we could beat that team twice....and there is really no one who should beat us twice....that would take us to 12 and 6.....before we get to the Big East tourney....of course we have to beat frisco first...maybe u should start a thread on that...i would but I'm tired of starting them...

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 07:22:53 PM »

Not in field of 68

Not in last 4 out

Not in next 4 out.

I think this is BS. We are #41 in RPI right now and #17 in SOS according to ESPN.  We have NO bad losses (although we have no very good wins either).  Tell me what team was the last to be left out with a 41 rpi and 17 SOS?

There are 11 teams from lower conferences ahead of us on the SOS rankings that simply will not be able to keep up.  According to ESPN, every Big East team but SH is in the top 91 in RPI.  The schools immediately behind us are also from lesser conferences.  We have three non-conference games left and one is against #99 RPI Youngstown State.  Our RPI will be solid, our SOS will be excellent and these guys will be playing their best ball late.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 07:24:22 PM by Marillac »

hnk

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 07:29:27 PM »
Agree...we just have to  take care of business and keep improving.

DFF6

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 07:42:04 PM »
While it sucked losing to Cuse, and we gave away a W against Penn St., fact is,  if we win our next 6 games, including away games against Xavier and Gtown, and a home game against Nova on Jan 11, we will likely be ranked somewhere in the teens at the end of that run.  Yes, our margin for error is smaller without a signature OCC win, but still plenty of time to make some noise.

TONYD3

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 08:13:40 PM »
We also have no good wins

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 08:26:41 PM »
If Penn State is the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the Big 10 as has been projected, that will go down as a "bad loss" on the resume.

The clock is definitely officially ticking in terms of getting quality wins on the resume.  Right now, the Big East as a whole isnt strong at all.  Only team at the moment that would be a really nice look on the "good wins" side is Villanova.  I think we need to split the Nova/Marq/Gtown/Creighton series.  And really we should try to get  1 or so of those on the road. 

We are @ Gtown and home vs. Nova back-to-back in the beginning of January.  Lav can say we'll be "playing our best basketball by February" but if we can't get either of those, we could be in trouble.  No trying to be pessimistic, just saying theres limited margin for error at this point because there simply arent many "sexy" teams or wins on our schedule left.  We're definitely playing much better, though, and I do think we are more talented top-to-bottom than any team in the conference.  The time is now.   
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 08:33:45 PM »
If Penn State is the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the Big 10 as has been projected, that will go down as a "bad loss" on the resume.

The clock is definitely officially ticking in terms of getting quality wins on the resume.  Right now, the Big East as a whole isnt strong at all.  Only team at the moment that would be a really nice look on the "good wins" side is Villanova.  I think we need to split the Nova/Marq/Gtown/Creighton series.  And really we should try to get  1 or so of those on the road. 

We are @ Gtown and home vs. Nova back-to-back in the beginning of January.  Lav can say we'll be "playing our best basketball by February" but if we can't get either of those, we could be in trouble.  No trying to be pessimistic, just saying theres limited margin for error at this point because there simply arent many "sexy" teams or wins on our schedule left.  We're definitely playing much better, though, and I do think we are more talented top-to-bottom than any team in the conference.  The time is now.   

No excuse to be swept by anyone in this conference  Split with most,sweep a handful, and we are in business. 

goredmen

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 10:59:23 PM »
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. On this date in 2010 we were 5-3 with losses to St Mary's, St Bonaventure and Fordham and our best win was over Arizona State who was the Depaul of the Pac 10 at the time. That was shaping up to be a horrible resume for a bubble team. We wound up being a 6 seed that year as we all remember.

While there's a chance we will be a bubble team and all of these games in November and December will have been extremely important, its far more likely that we won't be on the bubble one way or the other. We can finish 1st or 2nd in the league and go to the conference championship game or we can finish 6th and lose in the quarters and not everything in between necessarily puts us on the bubble. There's still three months of basketball left to be played before our resume hits the desk of the selection committee.

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 11:47:06 PM »

Not in field of 68

Not in last 4 out

Not in next 4 out.

I think this is BS. We are #41 in RPI right now and #17 in SOS according to ESPN.  We have NO bad losses (although we have no very good wins either).  Tell me what team was the last to be left out with a 41 rpi and 17 SOS?

There are 11 teams from lower conferences ahead of us on the SOS rankings that simply will not be able to keep up.  According to ESPN, every Big East team but SH is in the top 91 in RPI.  The schools immediately behind us are also from lesser conferences.  We have three non-conference games left and one is against #99 RPI Youngstown State.  Our RPI will be solid, our SOS will be excellent and these guys will be playing their best ball late.

There are no moral victories.  Sooner or later, you have to start winning games against Wisconsin or Syracuse to get considered for the tournament.

St. John's doesn't belong in the tournament picture right now ... but that can easily change if they start winning some games soon in the Big East.

desco80

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 07:04:55 AM »
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. On this date in 2010 we were 5-3 with losses to St Mary's, St Bonaventure and Fordham and our best win was over Arizona State who was the Depaul of the Pac 10 at the time. That was shaping up to be a horrible resume for a bubble team. We wound up being a 6 seed that year as we all remember.

While there's a chance we will be a bubble team and all of these games in November and December will have been extremely important, its far more likely that we won't be on the bubble one way or the other. We can finish 1st or 2nd in the league and go to the conference championship game or we can finish 6th and lose in the quarters and not everything in between necessarily puts us on the bubble. There's still three months of basketball left to be played before our resume hits the desk of the selection committee.

The big difference is that year we still had 8 games left against ranked opponents.   

paultzman

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 07:36:50 AM »
It's tough start to BE season with Xavier & GT on the road, followed by Nova at home. In my opinion, we need to grab one of road games and hold serve against Nova to get some momentum. When folks note we can beat anybody in BE, I must say, with exception of DePaul, we could lose to anyone. The talent is there to win eleven or twelve games, but the mindset must be strong each and every night. I am not as confident as many that we will become a solid road team, but I tend to worry. Please let's not dig a hole early and drop the two road games and go into Nova game pressing. Start strong, gain confidence and contend for title.

pmg911

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 08:01:34 AM »

Marquette, Creighton & Gtown were/are all over rated...   I think we are better than all of them...

Nova was underrated but I also think we can match up with them fairly well...

I think we finish the year Top 3 in the league...

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 10:33:13 AM »
We better end up top three...otherwise it's the NIT for us.

At some point, the team has to decide not to mail in 25 minutes per game.  With 40 minutes of effort, they could beat anyone.

CC

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 11:19:35 AM »

Not in field of 68

Not in last 4 out

Not in next 4 out.

How is it BS, this guy nails almost every team picked every year.

Foad

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 12:29:55 PM »
How is it BS, this guy nails almost every team picked every year.

He has three teams from NY state getting in but not us. That's bogus man. We're NY's team.