Villanova Discussion

• 256 replies

pmg911

Re: Villanova Discussion
« Reply #240 on: January 12, 2014, 08:10:13 AM »
34 % from the field it's not the coaching. The players are missing lay up after lay up. If anything, this team is letting the coach down.

Dom Pointer is player with no role. He plays super hard but has no position. He can't shoot or handle and he is too small to play the 3 or 4. He killed us yesterday

Foad

« Reply #241 on: January 12, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
it's not the coaching ... if anything this team is letting the coach down.

« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2014, 09:42:15 AM »
Frustrating game to be at. I thought the coaching staff and players (with a couple exceptions) did a good job in this one. They guarded the three well - in general defense was good. The refs called it tight, and most of sju's fouls weren't because they were out of position or got beat.

On offense, ball movement was good with Jordan in the game. If Harrison/hooper/pointer (I'm in the minority that doesn't hate dom's outside shot) hit 2 more of the wide open threes they were given... Or if someone converted a few of the many missed layups... It was just one if those games where a lot breaks wrong on offense.

I'm over the poor rebounding. It's just a weakness of this personnel, but the blocks and steals make up for the possessions.

Play and coaching this game were encouraging. I still think this is an NCAA team this year (though I've only missed 3 games: penn state, gtown, and Xavier, so maybe I don't know how bad things can get).

pmg911

« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2014, 10:04:46 AM »

You can say a lot about me but I am not a cool aid drinker.

The guys on the court are the ones taking  & missing about 65% of the shots. You can say what ever you like but that's on the players.

Is the coaching the best, NO but it would look at a lot better if wecould manage maybe 42 -  44% from the floor. I don't think that is too much to ask from Div I basketball players

« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2014, 10:16:59 AM »

The guys on the court are the ones taking  & missing about 65% of the shots. You can say what ever you like but that's on the players.

Is the coaching the best, NO but it would look at a lot better if wecould manage maybe 42 -  44% from the floor. I don't think that is too much to ask from Div I basketball players

I'm personally a big fan of D'lo, but it also can't be ignored how poorly he has played in big games this season.  6-19 against Syracuse.  7-20 against Xavier.  1-12 against Georgetown.  4-13 against Villanova.  I do feel for the guy because there are times our offense just stands around waiting for him to do it for them.  That being said, it can't be ignored that he hasn't stepped up in big games this year.

Foad

« Reply #245 on: January 12, 2014, 10:19:51 AM »

We'd manage 40 percent from the floor if we didn't run an offense that revolved around Dom Pointer and Phil Greene creating their own shots.

« Reply #246 on: January 12, 2014, 10:21:37 AM »
We have to win the conference tourney for a NCAA bid at this point

Not so.  We have to go 11 - 7 in conference or 10 - 8 with a conf. tournament win or two.  It's possible.  We're going to have a 3 - 3 conference record in a couple of weeks.

I wish I lived in the same world you do. 10-8 entering the BET doesn't even have us sniffing an at large bid

If we beat Dartmouth we were 10 - 3 non-conf.  10 - 8 conference brings us to 20 - 11.  Two BE tourn. wins would render us 22 - 12 on the season.

22 - 12 doesn't dance?

SJU is currently a team w/o any signature wins.  They lost their 2 big OOC games (Wisconsin and Syracuse) and even lost to a mediocre Penn State team.  That was the risk they took by not adding a few more legitimate games.

If they want to make the NCAA Tournament, they need to knock off some legitimate teams in conference play.  Beating a team like DePaul or Seton Hall twice is not going to get it done.  You need to beat teams like Xavier, Georgetown, Villanova, and Creighton to have a shot.  And frankly, it's going to be difficult to do that considering how poor they are playing right now.

TONYD3

« Reply #247 on: January 12, 2014, 10:24:54 AM »
Pmg- I agree with some of your points, but I don't understand a lot of them. I see what hooper does well and see what pointer can't do. But they have practiced together for two years. I have to think they are put in situations where they are constantly compeating. With all pointers issues I still have to think that he dominates hooper in practice. I wish dom was more skilled . He is more skilled then obekpa. I think he is a better defender then obekpa.
We lost. I think Sampson deserves more of the blame. Not only did he miss layups . He plays stupid. Look where he catches the ball in the low post. Instead of having an angle to use the backboard, he catches the ball behind the basket

cjfish

« Reply #248 on: January 12, 2014, 11:13:50 AM »
Poor coaching is the primary problem with this team.  Defense is usually excellent.  Offense is a joke.  Yes, they need more outside shooting but, with hooper, dlo and, to a lesser extent greene, it is not too bad.  Ball movement is awful, primarily because of poor spacing.  Except of Sampson and Obekpa there are few screens and almost none off the ball.  Proper spacing and ball movement are integral to a good offense and this team gets an F.   Jordan could be great but so far he is merely penetrating schoolyard style.  This will not work consistently.  They need to get hot the next 5 games which should be all wins but, the way the offense looks, they are likely to lose several

Moose

« Reply #249 on: January 12, 2014, 12:15:42 PM »

I'm personally a big fan of D'lo, but it also can't be ignored how poorly he has played in big games this season.  6-19 against Syracuse.  7-20 against Xavier.  1-12 against Georgetown.  4-13 against Villanova.  I do feel for the guy because there are times our offense just stands around waiting for him to do it for them.  That being said, it can't be ignored that he hasn't stepped up in big games this year.

And yet he still led all scorers yesterday.
Jay Z I have 99 problems, but Dee isn't one.
WASJU said what I have been thinking for awhile.  I'm a huge Dee supporter.  BUT he is the perfect Robin to a Batman.  It's clear he can still get you 20 ppg but it might not look pretty.  Nobody else has stepped up to be a consistent scoring threat so its just like last year where he is scoring but having rough shooting days.  Gtown he was dreadful.  I didn't think he was bad yesterday at all.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2014, 12:46:15 PM »

Not so.  We have to go 11 - 7 in conference or 10 - 8 with a conf. tournament win or two.  It's possible.  We're going to have a 3 - 3 conference record in a couple of weeks.

I wish I lived in the same world you do. 10-8 entering the BET doesn't even have us sniffing an at large bid

If we beat Dartmouth we were 10 - 3 non-conf.  10 - 8 conference brings us to 20 - 11.  Two BE tourn. wins would render us 22 - 12 on the season.

22 - 12 doesn't dance?

Not unless we beat nova at nova and in the conference tourney and pick up a couple of wins against Creighton. But if that happens and we still end up 22-12 that means we are going to lose some games we aren't supposed to lose which would hurt.

Last year UVA was 21-11 with an 11-7 ACC record with wins over Duke, UNC and Wisconsin and they didn't make it

Bear with me.  I'm still getting adjusted to the Big East lite.

P.S. To sir with love and the triangle had very poor outings yesterday.  I was most disappointed.

Marillac

« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2014, 06:57:33 PM »

We'd manage 40 percent from the floor if we didn't run an offense that revolved around Dom Pointer and Phil Greene creating their own shots.

It drives me nuts. 

Marillac

« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2014, 07:51:26 PM »

22 - 12 doesn't dance?

Not unless we beat nova at nova and in the conference tourney and pick up a couple of wins against Creighton. But if that happens and we still end up 22-12 that means we are going to lose some games we aren't supposed to lose which would hurt.

Last year UVA was 21-11 with an 11-7 ACC record with wins over Duke, UNC and Wisconsin and they didn't make it

P.S. To sir with love and the triangle had very poor outings yesterday.  I was most disappointed.

No need to get adjusted.   21 wins would get us in.  UVA had a 76 RPI, lost to  5-win Old Dominion, lost six other games teams ranked over 100 in the RPI, and had an OOC strength of schedule ranked 299.  None of that applies to us.

21 wins would give us an RPI in the 30s and our SOS is very strong. I think people are overestimating the RPI effect of playing in a  top-heavy conference (Syracuse, Louisville, etc) while underestimating the RPI effect having fewer weak teams (no USF, Rutgers, 12/13 versions of Depaul, SH, SJU, Prov). 

« Reply #253 on: January 12, 2014, 08:16:12 PM »
I still think Dom is too hesitant at times. I know he is not a great ball handler etc etc but when he gets the ball in the halfcourt he is just too damn indecisive for my liking. I would like to see him slash and have the ability to do a floater/pull up of just take it hard to the tin. Of course this is so much easier said than done.

He has done this sporadically over his time here and he just makes everyone better when that happens.

goredmen

« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2014, 08:26:10 PM »

22 - 12 doesn't dance?

No need to get adjusted.   21 wins would get us in.  UVA had a 76 RPI, lost to  5-win Old Dominion, lost six other games teams ranked over 100 in the RPI, and had an OOC strength of schedule ranked 299.  None of that applies to us.

21 wins would give us an RPI in the 30s and our SOS is very strong. I think people are overestimating the RPI effect of playing in a  top-heavy conference (Syracuse, Louisville, etc) while underestimating the RPI effect having fewer weak teams (no USF, Rutgers, 12/13 versions of Depaul, SH, SJU, Prov). 

I disagree. I think 21 wins gets us a 1 or 2 seed in the NIT. 21 wins wont mean much if only 1 or 2 of them are noteworthy. The best win possible from here on out is a win in the BET over Villanova because we sure arent going to beat them in Philly. After that Creighton at home  (They will probably be around a 5 seed) and Xavier (probably somewhere between a 7 and 9 seed). Even if we pick up 3 wins against those teams those arent wins that will knock the socks off of the selection committee. There have been teams with 21 or 22 wins who have had far better wins than that by selection sunday that havent made it.

This will most likely be a moot argument anyway as nothing suggests that we can win 21 games this year. Games that we thought should be automatic  (@Depaul, @SHU, @Providence) are now toss ups at best

Marillac

« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2014, 08:46:26 PM »

22 - 12 doesn't dance?

I disagree. I think 21 wins gets us a 1 or 2 seed in the NIT. 21 wins wont mean much if only 1 or 2 of them are noteworthy. The best win possible from here on out is a win in the BET over Villanova because we sure arent going to beat them in Philly. After that Creighton at home  (They will probably be around a 5 seed) and Xavier (probably somewhere between a 7 and 9 seed). Even if we pick up 3 wins against those teams those arent wins that will knock the socks off of the selection committee. There have been teams with 21 or 22 wins who have had far better wins than that by selection sunday that havent made it.

This will most likely be a moot argument anyway as nothing suggests that we can win 21 games this year. Games that we thought should be automatic  (@Depaul, @SHU, @Providence) are now toss ups at best

The team with the lowest RPI to be left out from a major conference was Cincinnati at 40 in 2006.  They were 21-12, 8-8 in conference and ended the season losing three out of four.  That was before the tournament expanded to 68 and during a two-year period where the RPI was not as heavily factored as it is currently.  21 will get us in. 

We'd be 11-7 in the third highest ranked conference in the RPI, have a very strong SOS and solid RPI, played three top ten teams close, and we would have closed the season on a 12-4 run. 

goredmen

« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2014, 08:59:49 PM »

22 - 12 doesn't dance?

The team with the lowest RPI to be left out from a major conference was Cincinnati at 40 in 2006.  They were 21-12, 8-8 in conference and ended the season losing three out of four.  That was before the tournament expanded to 68 and during a two-year period where the RPI was not as heavily factored as it is currently.  21 will get us in. 

We'd be 11-7 in the third highest ranked conference in the RPI, have a very strong SOS and solid RPI, played three top ten teams close, and we would have closed the season on a 12-4 run. 

Maybe you are right. However our "good wins" category might be the weakest of any bubble team to make it in recent years