Head Coaching Job

• 44 replies

Poison

Head Coaching Job
« on: January 15, 2014, 12:44:46 AM »
While I don't expect Lavin to get canned, should it happen, we'll need a new coach. But who?

We might have had a shot at Fran McCaffrey, but that ship has sailed. It seems like every few years, a real gem comes out of the MAAC or the CAA. McCaffrey is the latest. It's on us for not giving him the credit he deserved. We went for the name, like NY teams like to do.

goredmen

Re: Head Coaching Job
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 01:09:49 AM »
Something tells me that on the off chance we have a head coaching vacancy this offseason that the administration would consider Tommy Amaker. Now I know he didn't have many fans around these parts and I am not advocating for him in any way but I think they would consider him for a few reasons.

- He's doing great at Harvard, a tough place to win, won an NCAA game last year and are a legit threat to win 1 or 2 tournament games this year.

- He's had success in this area taking SHU to the sweet 16 and bringing in the #2 recruiting class there in 2000.

- He's a clean cut no baggage guy

- He could revive the series with Duke

- And last but not least he's got name recognition

Again I'm not saying I want him to be the next coach but would you really put it past this administration to hire him due to his recent success

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:15:17 AM »
Amakar? Ew that's as bad as when al skinner almost came here. I'll pass

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:42:01 AM »
I want a coach that is going to gt us back as a perennial ncaa team.  be that Lavin or someone else.  tired of watching selection sunday with no interest.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 02:03:27 AM »
Wouldn't mind Archie Miller of Dayton. All his players seem to be able to handle, shoot and pass, they move the ball and play pretty smart.

Tiger

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 06:08:43 AM »
what would it take to get Shaka or someone with that kind of reputation?  It's not happening but just curious.

Is Ben Howland still looking for work?

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 06:22:48 AM »
Does Greg McDermott have another son 4 years younger than Doug?

desco80

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 07:13:37 AM »
Orlando Antigua,  for those of you who don't know... he's a Bronx guy, went to St Raymonds, was a McDonalds AA and played for the Gauchos.   Then he played at Pitt.   He started his coaching career as an assistant under Jamie Dixon, then went to Memphis.  Now he's Calipari's lead assistant, and top recruiter at Kentucky, and the current Head Coach of the Dominican National Team.

I really think he's perfect.  A young guy from nyc who's hungry, and is already extremely well-known on the recruiting circuit.  Every HS kid in the country gets excited when this guy is at his game.  He's probably the only candidate who could out recruit Lavin.   

Do I know how good of an in-game coach he is?  No.   BUt I know he played the game at a high level, so he's already got that on his side.
But otherwise that;'s what the hiring process is for.  Call Dixon, call Cal, ask around about him, and see what he says in his interviews.   
They say the new Giants Offensive Coordinator brought two notebooks of ideas for what he wanted to run into his interview with Coughlin, Reese and Marra.   

But my search would start with Antigua

And oh yea, the guy got shot in the head as a HS player and went through some other rough times; his biography says his family was homeless at one point while he was in HS and he had to hold things together.     This is a guy players can relate to.   The exact opposite of a snake-oil salesman.   
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:20:59 AM by desco80 »

gman

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 07:26:06 AM »
No one is leaving a good situation to come here. No retreads please. Our best bet is a young like masiello.

lihoop

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 07:50:30 AM »
bring on John Buck from LuHi as an assistant

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 08:06:45 AM »
Amakar? Ew that's as bad as when al skinner almost came here. I'll pass

this comment has a terrible tone whether intentional or not...

paultzman

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 08:15:36 AM »
When or if Lavin goes back to Coast, I hope we avoid getting a retread. Get someone with successful HC experience, sound work ethic, recruiting ability & X&O capability. For what we are, a chance on a riser like Dan Hurley, Masiello or Pitino's son ( although he may have better job now) would seem a risk with a likely positive outcome.

The big issue is who would select the coach. Our AD is not the guy. I dread search committees, but if it appens by end of season, that may be our only option.  If Lavin remains another year & still falters, hopefully a new President & AD will be in place to make the best choice.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:18:03 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 09:06:23 AM »
Lavin will not get fired. Lavin should not get fired! Norm was given 6 years, then Lavin should be given at least 10 years. Now Lavin quitting would not shock me. However if he leaves after a season where we go say 13-18 or something like that then he would probably never get another coaching job if that is what he chooses to do.

A more likely scenerio is a couple kids transfer after this season thus shortening the rotations for Lavin by necessity. With less tinkering to do and a senior laden team Lavin gets the team into the tourney. After next season I could then see Lavin walking off into the sunset, but at least the next coach would be taking over a tourney team, albeit one that would be in rebuilding mode.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:32:04 AM by we are sju »

paultzman

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 09:17:48 AM »
Lavin will not get fired. Lavin should not get fired! Norm was given 6 years, then Lavin should be given at least 10 years. Now Lavin quitting would not shock me. However if he leaves after a season where we go say 13-18 or something like that then he would probbaly never get another coaching job if that is what he chooses to do.

A more likely scenerio is a couple kids transfer after this season thus shortening the rotations for Lavin by necessity. With less tinkering to do and a senior laden team Lavin gets the team into the tourney. After next season I could then see Lavin walking off into the sunset, but at least the next coach would be taking over a tourney team, albeit one that would be in rebuilding mode.

Agree he won't be fired, but could choose to leave. If that plays out, the new coach will probably have a sparse roster after next season,  if my instincts about a less than stellar 14 & 15 recruiting haul are correct. Clearly, if season is not turned around, that will not be a positive in getting Briscoes & Diallos of the world. Not "doomed", but perhaps on heels of new rebuilding plan. It just feels there is something very strange going on here or maybe I am overreacting.

Moose

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 09:20:32 AM »
Lavin will not get fired. Lavin should not get fired! Norm was given 6 years, then Lavin should be given at least 10 years. Now Lavin quitting would not shock me. However if he leaves after a season where we go say 13-18 or something like that then he would probbaly never get another coaching job if that is what he chooses to do.

Agree he won't be fired, but could choose to leave. If that plays out, the new coach will probably have a sparse roster after next season,  if my instincts about a less than stellar 14 & 15 recruiting haul are correct. Clearly, if season is not turned around, that will not be a positive in getting Briscoes & Diallos of the world. Not "doomed", but perhaps on heels of new rebuilding plan. It just feels there is something very strange going on here or maybe I am overreacting.

Haven't seen Doomed in awhile.
I need to check on the status of my trademark there.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 09:34:21 AM »

I am not saying this is what is happening and obviously I do not follow UNC like I do ST John's, but this season on the surface sort of does remind me of Matt Doherty's last year at UNC.

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 09:41:53 AM »

I am not saying this is what is happening and obviously I do not follow UNC like I do ST John's, but this season on the surface sort of does remind me of Matt Doherty's last year at UNC.
Just the surface.  Coaches are polar opposites. 

paultzman

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 09:44:14 AM »

Interesting  thought. NC powerful alum/donor base was critical component of that outcome. Man, should he have stayed at ND, where basketball expectations are significantly less.

desco80

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 09:45:47 AM »

I dont want to be a troll, but do you know who could come in tomorrow and still land Briscoe and Diallo?  Orlando A

I have two pet peeves regarding sju: give Branch an opportunity to play nearly a full game; and make Antigua a canidate in the next coaching search, whenever that may be.

Moose

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 09:48:58 AM »

I dont want to be a troll, but do you know who could come in tomorrow and still land Briscoe and Diallo?  Orlando A

I have two pet peeves regarding sju: give Branch an opportunity to play nearly a full game; and make Antigua a canidate in the next coaching search, whenever that may be.

You are really on the Antigua bandwagon, huh?

No head coaching experience.  I don't want to go down that path again.  (And no I don't count whatever he has done with Dominican National Team)
Remember who broke the Slice news