New Head Coach?

• 80 replies

paultzman

Re: New Head Coach?
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 06:10:41 PM »
I think everyone knows my choice, I think we strike while we can with Antigua.   
He checks off all but 1 box in my book:   young & hungry, nyc guy, former player, hard worker, great recruiter, NBA ties, good pedigree from the Dixon and Calipari coaching trees, been on the sidelines for Final Fours and NCs,  can relate to players etc.  He's done all he can as an assistant, it's his time now.

If a guy like that goes to a midmajor and wins 20 games for a year or two, then he becomes too expensive for us and ends up replacing Pitino or Billy Donovan at a dream job. 

But truthfully there are several guys on this list that need to be interviewed and could end up being excellent choices.

He is the last guy I would pick.

If you think he is the reason all these kids are going to Kentucky, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn

Last guy?   I'd be interested to hear why you think that, you usually have a well reasoned opinion. 

Do I think he's the only reason they go to UK?  Of course not.   But he's one of the best known assistants in the country.  And you know full well that he's the one out on the trail building relationships with these kids from the time they enter HS.   I think he connects with kids well, and he's bid his time under coaches that know how to run a program.   Plus I think coming home to NY would be appealing to him. 
Is he a can't-miss type candidate?  No.   But I think it's a good fit.

You think he'd bring his brother in as an asst? He obviously has strong ties to the CHSAA and other NYC schools. I'd be all for a hire that does what Norm was brought here to do and keep the NYC talent home. If we get a majority of the best NYC players we'd have a solid program

I didn't even think of that. 
Oliver might be getting the boot anyway when Tiny starts at the Hall, right?   
But I'm sure Antigua would have a number of NY connections he could turn to as assistants.   He worked with Slice a lot at Pitt right?
I'm sure he could easily fill out a staff that would hit the ground running.

No more nepotism.  I had my fill with Jarvis :)

Haha.  I couldn't believe someone put Mikey Jr as an option in one of the polls.
So tell me, because I really don't know, what was Maisello's reputation at Louisville?  Is he credited with landing the metro ny/nj kids like Samuels and Sosa?   Game prep?   

http://www.gocards.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/steve_masiello_224731.html

desco80

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 06:30:31 PM »
I woudn't go with Orlando Antigua.  IF Lavin were to go after this season (which I doubt would happen unless he chose to resign/retire) then I think you give it to a coach thats had a team before that can provide this group with structure and a good work ethic and you try to have success with the returning group and build off of that. 

To me, that guy would either be Steve Masiello or Danny Hurley.  Ben Howland definitely intrigues me though.  The one thing Lavin has done here is raise the profile of the St. John's job and has proven that the way to have success here with the current recruiting landscape is to recruit NATIONALLY to St. John's and not just locally. 

My only worry with Masiello/Hurley would be that they would get caught in the trap of focusing mainly on Tri-state area kids, and thats just not the way to have success here IMO.  However I think those guys are both highly structured, can coach into a true up-and-down, hardnosed style with this current group and can build off of success in year 1.

There is plenty of talent in the tri-state area where if you can essentially corner the market you will have a VERY good program year after year. I never understood how people bought into the myth that theres not enough talent in this area anymore

I don't mind recruiting outside of NY, but I think it's important to get the local studs.  You build a sense of community and grow the fan base when local heroes play for their hometown.   Mullin, Jayson, Malik, Felipe, Ron .. I'm sorry but my memory only goes back to 1990 or so, but obviously there are other examples. 
Do you need the NYC kids to win?  No.  You can win with Harrison and Sampson etc.
But you can't tell me there wouldn't be more fannies in the seats at MSG if Kemba, Lance, or even KA stayed home.
And the fan base and attendance is something we always bitch about... and that's a way to address it.
Not priority #1, but it's something to keep in mind. 

ras

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »
I  think recruiting nationally is good. Winning puts fannies in the seats. Didn't Norm have a lot of NY players?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:36:41 PM by ras »

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 06:48:14 PM »
I woudn't go with Orlando Antigua.  IF Lavin were to go after this season (which I doubt would happen unless he chose to resign/retire) then I think you give it to a coach thats had a team before that can provide this group with structure and a good work ethic and you try to have success with the returning group and build off of that. 

To me, that guy would either be Steve Masiello or Danny Hurley.  Ben Howland definitely intrigues me though.  The one thing Lavin has done here is raise the profile of the St. John's job and has proven that the way to have success here with the current recruiting landscape is to recruit NATIONALLY to St. John's and not just locally. 

My only worry with Masiello/Hurley would be that they would get caught in the trap of focusing mainly on Tri-state area kids, and thats just not the way to have success here IMO.  However I think those guys are both highly structured, can coach into a true up-and-down, hardnosed style with this current group and can build off of success in year 1.

There is plenty of talent in the tri-state area where if you can essentially corner the market you will have a VERY good program year after year. I never understood how people bought into the myth that theres not enough talent in this area anymore

Because there are so many schools that come into NY/NJ to recruit that its nearly impossible to "corner the market" in this area. 
Instead the search should be for elite prospects from around the country (and world) that can be lured to New York City and playing at MSG.  Steve Lavin's tenure has shown that there are plenty of good prospects from around the nation that are interested in coming to play in NYC.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

desco80

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 07:19:44 PM »
I  think recruiti3ng nationally is good. Windin puts fannies in the seats. Didn't Norm have a lot of NY players?

Yea, but Norm didnt sign the guys people saw in the Daily News or Newsday... the Jason Frasers and Lances.
People can relate and attach a narrative to the local guys they've been hearing about. 
 It doesn't make u win anymore than an equally ranked kid from another state... but I do think it builds the fan base.

LJSA

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 10:46:10 PM »
He checks off all but 1 box in my book:   young & hungry, nyc guy, former player, hard worker, great recruiter, NBA ties, good pedigree from the Dixon and Calipari coaching trees, been on the sidelines for Final Fours and NCs,  can relate to players etc.  He's done all he can as an assistant, it's his time now.

If a guy like that goes to a midmajor and wins 20 games for a year or two, then he becomes too expensive for us and ends up replacing Pitino or Billy Donovan at a dream job. 

But truthfully there are several guys on this list that need to be interviewed and could end up being excellent choices.

If you think he is the reason all these kids are going to Kentucky, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn

I may be getting hi confused with someone else, maybe his own brother, but I could swear reading things about Antigua being a bad guy... Sorry I don't have more... Maybe someone else could shed light.. Maybe I'm dead wrong.

Zero interest in him..   Lavin is the coach and will remain so until he decides.

I believe his brother is the one that Parrom punched.

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 11:42:07 PM »

Last guy?   I'd be interested to hear why you think that, you usually have a well reasoned opinion. 

Do I think he's the only reason they go to UK?  Of course not.   But he's one of the best known assistants in the country.  And you know full well that he's the one out on the trail building relationships with these kids from the time they enter HS.   I think he connects with kids well, and he's bid his time under coaches that know how to run a program.   Plus I think coming home to NY would be appealing to him. 

You think he'd bring his brother in as an asst? He obviously has strong ties to the CHSAA and other NYC schools. I'd be all for a hire that does what Norm was brought here to do and keep the NYC talent home. If we get a majority of the best NYC players we'd have a solid program

But I'm sure Antigua would have a number of NY connections he could turn to as assistants.   He worked with Slice a lot at Pitt right?

Haha.  I couldn't believe someone put Mikey Jr as an option in one of the polls.
So tell me, because I really don't know, what was Maisello's reputation at Louisville?  Is he credited with landing the metro ny/nj kids like Samuels and Sosa?   Game prep?   

Gotta say I like what I have read about this Masiello character. Think he likes to press?

Moose

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 08:28:10 AM »

Gotta say I like what I have read about this Masiello character. Think he likes to press?

His teams press.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 08:45:51 AM »

His teams press.

Sense you will be giving us a lot of  Mas observations this season Moose.  :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:46:56 AM by paultzman »

Moose

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 08:50:54 AM »

His teams press.

Sense you will be giving us a lot of  Mas observations this season Moose.  :)

Unfortunately I'm actually not going to make it to their game tonight.  But my friend will and will report back.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 10:39:50 AM »
Wow, cannot believe the results of this poll. I keep reading that Lavin is a great recruiter and he has made the program relevant again so we should keep him. What about winning games, shouldn't that be the most important thing. We are 39-43 in the last two and a half seasons, but woo-hoo we have a lot of top 100 recruits. Nothing I have seen this season leads me to believe that he will be a better coach/teacher if we keep him around longer. Give me wins, I don't care what the rank of the high school players are that do it, just win.

desco80

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 11:01:19 AM »
Wow, cannot believe the results of this poll. I keep reading that Lavin is a great recruiter and he has made the program relevant again so we should keep him. What about winning games, shouldn't that be the most important thing. We are 39-43 in the last two and a half seasons, but woo-hoo we have a lot of top 100 recruits. Nothing I have seen this season leads me to believe that he will be a better coach/teacher if we keep him around longer. Give me wins, I don't care what the rank of the high school players are that do it, just win.

74% of fans don't want Steve Lavin coaching the team next year.  That seems about right to me.   You'll never get 100% agreement, there always the guys  that sniffed glue as children.   

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 11:28:28 AM »
Time for some out-of-the-box thinking.
Metta World Peace's contract with the Knicks will soon be up.  :)

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 11:44:18 AM »
Sorry, that is a better way to look at it. I was amazed that Lavin had the most individual votes.
Quote from: desco80 link=topic=8476.msg185603#msg185603 .
[/quote
74% of fans don't want Steve Lavin coaching the team next year.  That seems about right to me.   You'll never get 100% agreement, there always the guys  that sniffed glue as children.   

desco80

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 11:55:16 AM »
As much as we all say that there's no chance the University will fire Lavin after this season, the truth is that it's hard to ignore that it would be the perfect opportunity to bring in a new coach.   The new coach would be in a position to suceed
- Like 2010 the coach would be inheriting a veteran team, that with some tweaking, could win next year.
- He also would have something of nucleus going forward (Sampson, Obekpa, Jordan).
- And if it's somebody recruits already know, then we won't have to 100% give up on the 2015 class because it's still more than a year away.  Those targets like Diallo and Briscoe could still be landed by the right guy.
- Not to mention Lavin would be coming back as a lame duck.

Also, a coaching change may stem any transfers that could happen.   Nobody wants to sit out a year, so if the players new right after the year that X was coming, that might hold the fort.

Either way, someway somehow the move should be made after this season.   I know it's not the SJU way, but prolonging it would be setting the next coach up for failure.

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »
Glad no one has brought up Pecora. Fordham getting pasted again (by St Louis)...undisciplined bunch of chuckers. Severe, despite his gaudy point totals, is not a great player. Probably made a good college choice as he wouldn't start outside of Fordham

Johnny23

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 06:29:26 PM »

That's one of the most appealing reasons to get one of them, mainly Hurley. Not only could he get all of those NJ and NYC stars who go to the power programs but his name holds national cache as well.

There are too many good players in the tri-state for St. John's not to bank on at least a few of them every year. Those kids also bring a hardnosed style of hoops that this program seems to be missing at the moment.

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 11:29:08 PM »

That's one of the most appealing reasons to get one of them, mainly Hurley. Not only could he get all of those NJ and NYC stars who go to the power programs but his name holds national cache as well.

There are too many good players in the tri-state for St. John's not to bank on at least a few of them every year. Those kids also bring a hardnosed style of hoops that this program seems to be missing at the moment.

Hurley would get ALL of them??  As in more than 50%?? Uhhhh no.  The Metro-area gets so raided by so many schools that no one can really get "all" or more than 50% of them.  Of those prospects that JUST want to stay in the area, there are 3 programs that all vie for them (SHU, Rutgers, St Johns).  And I really doubt that kids from around the country know who Danny Hurley is.  You think elite prospects from Michigan know who he is??  Or Florida?? Or the West Coast?? Hellll no.

You have now seen many coaches fall into the trap of just relying on recruiting the Metro area and fail.  Steve Lavin has been successful as a recruiter because he realizes that NYC is a destination for those not from this area. 

This is not like the old basketball scene in the 60's, 70's and 80's.  You can't just rely on area kids anymore.  This is part of the archaic thinking that will put St John's back in a recruiting rut, fighting it out for kids in an already watered-down market. 

This is why I think Bruce Pearl really fits the bill.  He has remained relevant while being out of coaching by being in television.  He was also a ridiculously colorful personality as a coach and showing a kid a clip of Pearl painting his chest for womens basketball games gives him some cool points.  Bruce Pearl is much more nationally recognized than Danny Hurley.

Pearl has also dealt with very similar rosters as ours at Tennessee, so I think he would step in and give this returning group an identity pretty quickly. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 11:36:54 PM »
I worry about Pearl's past issues.  I also think that the painting of the chest is a turnoff for a school like St. John's.  I love Seth Greenberg but I'm still a Lavin backer.

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 11:47:55 PM »
A guy painting his chest is actually EXACTLY what this comatose fanbase needs.  Carnesecca Arena is often dead and THAT is the type of personality that can quickly fill it up with students and young energy and make it a tough place for opponents to play.  That guy completely energizes a fanbase.  As for his past issues, it is understandable for that to be a worry but the guy has done his time in purgatory.