New Head Coach?

• 80 replies
Re: New Head Coach?
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 11:50:45 PM »
I don't disagree about the excitement that he might bring but that is not what the St. John's administration is looking for.  Also, they won't touch anyone with a sketchy past...and I don't blame them.

goredmen

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 11:57:37 PM »
I woudn't go with Orlando Antigua.  IF Lavin were to go after this season (which I doubt would happen unless he chose to resign/retire) then I think you give it to a coach thats had a team before that can provide this group with structure and a good work ethic and you try to have success with the returning group and build off of that. 

To me, that guy would either be Steve Masiello or Danny Hurley.  Ben Howland definitely intrigues me though.  The one thing Lavin has done here is raise the profile of the St. John's job and has proven that the way to have success here with the current recruiting landscape is to recruit NATIONALLY to St. John's and not just locally. 

My only worry with Masiello/Hurley would be that they would get caught in the trap of focusing mainly on Tri-state area kids, and thats just not the way to have success here IMO.  However I think those guys are both highly structured, can coach into a true up-and-down, hardnosed style with this current group and can build off of success in year 1.

That's one of the most appealing reasons to get one of them, mainly Hurley. Not only could he get all of those NJ and NYC stars who go to the power programs but his name holds national cache as well.

There are too many good players in the tri-state for St. John's not to bank on at least a few of them every year. Those kids also bring a hardnosed style of hoops that this program seems to be missing at the moment.

Hurley would get ALL of them??  As in more than 50%?? Uhhhh no.  The Metro-area gets so raided by so many schools that no one can really get "all" or more than 50% of them.  Of those prospects that JUST want to stay in the area, there are 3 programs that all vie for them (SHU, Rutgers, St Johns).  And I really doubt that kids from around the country know who Danny Hurley is.  You think elite prospects from Michigan know who he is??  Or Florida?? Or the West Coast?? Hellll no.

You have now seen many coaches fall into the trap of just relying on recruiting the Metro area and fail.  Steve Lavin has been successful as a recruiter because he realizes that NYC is a destination for those not from this area. 

This is not like the old basketball scene in the 60's, 70's and 80's.  You can't just rely on area kids anymore.  This is part of the archaic thinking that will put St John's back in a recruiting rut, fighting it out for kids in an already watered-down market. 

This is why I think Bruce Pearl really fits the bill.  He has remained relevant while being out of coaching by being in television.  He was also a ridiculously colorful personality as a coach and showing a kid a clip of Pearl painting his chest for womens basketball games gives him some cool points.  Bruce Pearl is much more nationally recognized than Danny Hurley.

Pearl has also dealt with very similar rosters as ours at Tennessee, so I think he would step in and give this returning group an identity pretty quickly. 

You're national recognition argument is flawed because not one kid that committed to St John's under Lavin knew that he was the coach at UCLA before he started recruiting them. They were 9, 10, and 11 years old during Lavin's last year at UCLA. And nobody commits to a coach because he uses colorful language on ESPN.

I think you give current high school basketball players too much credit when it comes to knowing who coaches from outside of their area are. Most high school players are in school and playing so much they don't have time to watch games like we do, and when they do watch basketball on TV its NBA games not college. I very much doubt a kid from Texas or California really knows who Bruce Pearl is so I don't think he has that big of an edge over a guy like Hurley.

I know you are a huge Bruce Pearl fan but he has no chance of being the next coach of this program. This administration wants nothing to do with anybody that has had issues with the NCAA in the past. If anybody from ESPN is going to be the next coach here it's Seth Greenberg but I highly doubt that as well.

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 12:14:17 AM »
I would put very good money on the fact that more teens around the country would know who Bruce Pearl is and it would be by a very wide margin.  Wouldn't even be close. 

And yes I do agree that the administration wouldn't give the guy a look.  They'd be too afraid of the one incident with the NCAA in which he lied out of panic.  Unfortunately, this is the type of archaic, non-progressive mindset from our administration that has set us back and living in the past.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2014, 12:19:15 AM »
C'mon, Trab.  We've been through scandal.  We don't want to go back there.  I don't blame the administration one bit for that.

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2014, 12:29:24 AM »
C'mon, Trab.  We've been through scandal.  We don't want to go back there.  I don't blame the administration one bit for that.

Do you honestly not think theres a chance you'll go through "scandal" with any head coach that recruits at a high level?? If you go out and get anyone that recruits high-level players, they are breaking something.  Trust that.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2014, 12:43:04 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly that there is a lot of stuff going on in recruiting at that level.  But we're not gonna bring in a guy that was caught and punished severely for it.

Listen, I've heard things about us in the past (all rumors, hearsay, and I can't be made to swear to anything under oath.  In case the NCAA is monitoring).

Moose

Remember who broke the Slice news

goredmen

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2014, 01:56:23 AM »
http://articles.latimes.com/1996-08-15/sports/sp-34389_1_long-beach-state

Although that isn't a big deal because he didn't lose his job over that like Pearl did, hopefully this is a big enough red flag to scare the administration away from him when they come across this in the vetting process

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2014, 01:59:53 AM »

Certainly a small taint.  The article mentions investigation.  Was anything found?  Was he punished?  Seems to be at a completely different level from Bruce Pearl's hot tub parties.

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2014, 02:14:05 AM »

Certainly a small taint.  The article mentions investigation.  Was anything found?  Was he punished?  Seems to be at a completely different level from Bruce Pearl's hot tub parties.

It really doesn't even matter.  Greenberg is not a great coach.  In 22 seasons as a head coach, he only made the tournament THREE times!  He was hired by Va Tech after failing to get USF to a single NCAA tournament in seven years, and then he made only ONE NCAA tournament in 9 seasons at Va Tech.  He had losing conference records at BOTH Va Tech and USF.  Over 16 combined seasons, he was 113-134 in conference!  No thanks.  He wouldn't make it through a season here before the half-empty crew started calling for his head.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2014, 12:54:47 PM »

It really doesn't even matter.  Greenberg is not a great coach.  In 22 seasons as a head coach, he only made the tournament THREE times!  He was hired by Va Tech after failing to get USF to a single NCAA tournament in seven years, and then he made only ONE NCAA tournament in 9 seasons at Va Tech.  He had losing conference records at BOTH Va Tech and USF.  Over 16 combined seasons, he was 113-134 in conference!  No thanks.  He wouldn't make it through a season here before the half-empty crew started calling for his head.
Wasn't the other criticism was that he always played a very soft OOC schedule as well?
Cougar O' Malley

Moose

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2014, 01:10:54 PM »

Wasn't the other criticism was that he always played a very soft OOC schedule as well?

Yes
Cost him quite a few NCAA births
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2014, 04:08:52 PM »

Don't think Lavin is going aware...But, couldn't agree more re: Greenberg...Overrated

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2014, 04:23:12 PM »
A guy painting his chest is actually EXACTLY what this comatose fanbase needs.
I'd argue a good looking woman painting her chest would have a bigger response

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2014, 04:57:57 PM »
Don't worry about Greenburg.  SJu isn't hiring a jewish coach.

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »
I will drive out to Lawrence and pick Norm up if they would re hire him and get rid of Lavin.  Norm did things the right way and had the program heading in the right direction.  No doubt about it he would have had that team in the NCAA the first year Lavin was head coach which Lavin gets way too much credit for.  That was a good roster and had good chemistry with a team that defended and played hard.  This team now has absolutely no identity at all and that is the coaches fault.  Win or lose you should do one thing good and this team isn't strong in any aspect of the game.  4 years and counting, the cupboard is full and all we have is tons and tons of excuses to go right along side tons and tons of conference losses.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 05:10:37 PM by Needs2go »

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2014, 05:15:03 PM »
I will drive out to Lawrence and pick Norm up if they would re hire him and get rid of Lavin.

Might as well make Jarvis an assistant.

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2014, 05:27:33 PM »
I will drive out to Lawrence and pick Norm up if they would re hire him and get rid of Lavin.  Norm did things the right way and had the program heading in the right direction.  No doubt about it he would have had that team in the NCAA the first year Lavin was head coach which Lavin gets way too much credit for.

worst post in the history of mankind

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2014, 05:30:40 PM »
I will drive out to Lawrence and pick Norm up if they would re hire him and get rid of Lavin.  Norm did things the right way and had the program heading in the right direction.  No doubt about it he would have had that team in the NCAA the first year Lavin was head coach which Lavin gets way too much credit for.  That was a good roster and had good chemistry with a team that defended and played hard.  This team now has absolutely no identity at all and that is the coaches fault.  Win or lose you should do one thing good and this team isn't strong in any aspect of the game.  4 years and counting, the cupboard is full and all we have is tons and tons of excuses to go right along side tons and tons of conference losses.

You're delusional...he didn't win and couldn't recruit...

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2014, 05:40:42 PM »
couldn't recruit. oh yeah Stevie is a great recruiter.

Who would you rather have to fill out your college roster

DJ Kennedy or Jakar Sampson?
Dwight Hardy or DAngelo Harrison?
Justin Brownlee or Orlando Sanchez?
Paris Horne or Phil Greene?
Justin Burrell or Dominic Pointer?
Malik Boothe or Jamal Branch?

I would go every guy on the left side of the column without even having to think hard about it.  Now how is Lavin such a great recruiter and Norm is so horrible if this is the case.  Please someone explain this to me.

Just because these are Top 100 recruits before they touch a college floor means absolutely squat and it doesn't mean Lavin can recruit because they were Top 100 players.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 05:42:38 PM by Needs2go »