It's not the coach

• 80 replies
Re: It's not the coach
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 12:39:37 PM »
I don't fault Lavin for starting Greene, I fault him for giving him so many minutes when he was useless and Branch was playing well.

But there is the rub however. Everyone agrees the ball should be in Jordan's hands correct? Well Having Branch in the game with Jordan takes Jordan off the ball. Playing Branch off the ball is useless because Branch doesn't shoot.

I do not agree that the ball should be in Jordan's hands.   
I think Jordan might be our best player, but I don't think he's our best point guard.    Branch should be the full time point.
And I've been saying that since October.   

He is our best passer and penetrator  and he can't shoot so putting Jordan on the wing is not the best place for him. Everyone is down on Dom but I would start him and play him decent minutes at the three. Jordan, Harrison, Dom, Sampson, Sanchez. Or good big and sun CO for Pointer

desco80

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
I don't fault Lavin for starting Greene, I fault him for giving him so many minutes when he was useless and Branch was playing well.

But there is the rub however. Everyone agrees the ball should be in Jordan's hands correct? Well Having Branch in the game with Jordan takes Jordan off the ball. Playing Branch off the ball is useless because Branch doesn't shoot.

I think Jordan might be our best player, but I don't think he's our best point guard.    Branch should be the full time point.

Desco, i think you are right on man, you have been preaching Branch since day one, and i doubted it up until this point.

Branch needs more minutes, him and Phil should switch minutes completely.

Thanks, seems everybody is starting to come around on that issue.
Which is a little strange because Branch isn't perfect.. for awhile even I started to doubt if he should play more.
But now I think it's obvious, even with his faults, he sees the court better than anyone we have.   Jordan is the far better player, better scorer... and he still is an above average passer.   But I think when we really need a basket you need to play Branch with Jordan and Harrison on each of his wings. 

desco80

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 12:43:30 PM »

He is our best passer and penetrator  and he can't shoot so putting Jordan on the wing is not the best place for him. Everyone is down on Dom but I would start him and play him decent minutes at the three. Jordan, Harrison, Dom, Sampson, Sanchez. Or good big and sun CO for Pointer

He can shoot somewhat (jordan that is).   And he has a better chance of penetrating when he comes off a cut or screen.   When Jordan has the ball at the top of the key, defenders are forcing him to drive right and while he's really good.. then they bring help or force him into a bad angle.
He's doing well.  But I think when defenses collapse on Branch, or trap Harrison it creates opportunities for Jordan to slash and score.   Lets take advantage of that. 

PS.  Besides, we're getting so little out of Sampson, Sanchez, Obekpa, Dom etc.  Why not play 3 guards?   
It's not like those guys were rebounding and playing great post defense anyway.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:45:29 PM by desco80 »

isham

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 12:51:22 PM »
As a coach I tend not to personally criticize players or coaches. Like all coaches I 've received my share of criticism . Sometimes it's warranted and most times it's not. The staff spends over two hrs a day in the gym with the players and know the skill set of the players better than the fans. I'm just pointing out area of weakness that are negatively effecting team play. At the end of the daythe coach is responsible for the record. Last year Kentucky had some issues and Cal was unable to turn them around. Should Cal have been fired. I don't think so. Two years before P J was playing for the National Champ, Seton Hall fans were screaming for his dismissal.  Against DePaul Lavine gambled again by playing Gift and Hooper in the 2nd half. He was sending a message once again that you got to play defense and rebound. Inserting Sampson And Green in the last 3 min probably would have won the game however the message would have been lost. Can you criticize Lavine for this move? Sure, but understand what he's trying to do. I'll be there tonight hoping for a turn around.
  The staff struck out with 2014 recruits because those kids didn't want to compete for starting positions.

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 12:52:32 PM »

He can shoot somewhat (jordan that is).   And he has a better chance of penetrating when he comes off a cut or screen.   When Jordan has the ball at the top of the key, defenders are forcing him to drive right and while he's really good.. then they bring help or force him into a bad angle.
He's doing well.  But I think when defenses collapse on Branch, or trap Harrison it creates opportunities for Jordan to slash and score.   Lets take advantage of that. 

PS.  Besides, we're getting so little out of Sampson, Sanchez, Obekpa, Dom etc.  Why not play 3 guards?   

I know Branch has replaced the Great White Decoy as the hot name getting shafted but I still see him as a backup. Maybe if he got big minutes and did something with it I would change my mind, but I want Jordan to have the ball in hi hands as much as possible, frosh mistakes and all.

I don't have a problem with playing 3 guards if you have three dynamic guards or the three guard are 3 of your best 5 players. I still don't put Branch in either category. Could you talk me into Branch taking Greene minutes, yes.

The one problem with three guards is on D where aren't you tired of seeing Harrison or Jordan trapped down low with a big?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:04:10 PM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2014, 12:56:56 PM »
Against DePaul Lavine gambled again by playing Gift and Hooper in the 2nd half. He was sending a message once again that you got to play defense and rebound. Inserting Sampson And Green in the last 3 min probably would have won the game however the message would have been lost.

If the goal was to lose with integrity why'd they fire Norm.

paultzman

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2014, 01:50:33 PM »
Just an anecdotal reference to effective coaching  in closing out games;

@stlappas: This has to be the most amazing stat in all of college basketball. San Diego st. has won 107 STRAIGHT games when leading with 5 min to go!!

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »

Thats what i've been hoping for, I think the ball movement and spacing would be much improved with Jordan, Branch and Harrison playing together

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »
The coaching Staff is as frustrated as all the board members who are calling for their dismissal. They realize the problems and address them everyday at practice.

1  Interior defense is poor ( notice who was on the bench at the end of the game last night)

2  Poor defense leads to fouls ( 9 min into the game the other team is in the bonus shortly thereafter +bonus )

3  Poor rebounding (Bootsy Thorton would be the leading rebounding on this team )

4  No team leader

I've coached H S Basketball and sometimes no matter what you do things don't change. Lavin was desperate when he put that lineup out there for the Georgetown game. He was trying to save the season. He's hoping that by Feb he can correct these issues.
If we don't correct these problems the NIT will be a stretch. Support the staff and hopefully they can turn things around
    On the recruiting front we're in good shape for 2015. the staff may bring in as many as 5 new players.

May bring in 5 new players?????

He better bring in 5 new players.  The problem is the roster construction and the balance of ships still.  We are setting ourselves up for 1 good year every 4 years and that doesnt equal success.  Do I also have to mention that he has 3 ships for this year and instead of banking on 2015 where our old friend 'the youngest team in America' has a good chance of returning, why not work 2014 and get someone in here so come 2015 when we go to Maui and play a bunch of powerhouses we don't get embarrassed with a bunch of freshman still finding their way around campus.  Of course he could bring in 3 players in the spring and play the Redshirt game which wouldn't be a surprise based on track record.

I have been saying the same thing over the past year but all I ever heard was what a great recruiter Lavin is, and how I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. .  You just repeated exactly what I have stated time and time again, even using the "youngest team in America " phrase, but when you say it, posters seem to agree and even compliment you on such thoughts.  lol  Just goes to show you what posting is all about on this and other sites. Its not about what one says in it accuracy, its about who says it.  There is certainly a sexist mentality here as obviously any one with the name Linda Mirabella couldn't possibly know whats going on.  I find this quite laughable.

derk

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2014, 03:30:59 PM »

Dom still plays out of control. He and this team as a whole make terrible decisions on their outlet passes. They are so intent on running that they push everytime down, even when the passing lanes are blocked. And with him leading the break he makes poor decisions on whether to pull up or pass. OTOH his shot blocking has improved but that's bacause his on the ball defense has regressed allowing him to block the shot of the man he just let by. So my point is, no he shouldn't start.

Moose

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2014, 03:32:38 PM »
The coaching Staff is as frustrated as all the board members who are calling for their dismissal. They realize the problems and address them everyday at practice.

1  Interior defense is poor ( notice who was on the bench at the end of the game last night)

2  Poor defense leads to fouls ( 9 min into the game the other team is in the bonus shortly thereafter +bonus )

3  Poor rebounding (Bootsy Thorton would be the leading rebounding on this team )

4  No team leader

I've coached H S Basketball and sometimes no matter what you do things don't change. Lavin was desperate when he put that lineup out there for the Georgetown game. He was trying to save the season. He's hoping that by Feb he can correct these issues.
If we don't correct these problems the NIT will be a stretch. Support the staff and hopefully they can turn things around
    On the recruiting front we're in good shape for 2015. the staff may bring in as many as 5 new players.

He better bring in 5 new players.  The problem is the roster construction and the balance of ships still.  We are setting ourselves up for 1 good year every 4 years and that doesnt equal success.  Do I also have to mention that he has 3 ships for this year and instead of banking on 2015 where our old friend 'the youngest team in America' has a good chance of returning, why not work 2014 and get someone in here so come 2015 when we go to Maui and play a bunch of powerhouses we don't get embarrassed with a bunch of freshman still finding their way around campus.  Of course he could bring in 3 players in the spring and play the Redshirt game which wouldn't be a surprise based on track record.

I have been saying the same thing over the past year but all I ever heard was what a great recruiter Lavin is, and how I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. .  You just repeated exactly what I have stated time and time again, even using the "youngest team in America " phrase, but when you say it, posters seem to agree and even compliment you on such thoughts.  lol  Just goes to show you what posting is all about on this and other sites. Its not about what one says in it accuracy, its about who says it.  There is certainly a sexist mentality here as obviously any one with the name Linda Mirabella couldn't possibly know whats going on.  I find this quite laughable.

Um ok.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Foad

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2014, 03:39:40 PM »
  There is certainly a sexist mentality here as obviously any one with the name Linda Mirabella couldn't possibly know whats going on.  I find this quite laughable.

People don't dislike you because you're female. They dislike you because you're a nitwit.

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2014, 03:17:41 AM »
What are the dues to join the old boy network? I might be interested if it not too expensive. Do you need a sponsor? That could be a problem.

Johnny23

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2014, 08:39:36 AM »
Way to open up the thread by talking all defensive lapses.

Anyone who has a basic clue of fundamental basketball can tell that Lavin can't coach worth a lick.

Their offense is the problem. They have zero halfcourt offense. I guess Lavin didn't learn that after all those years around Wooden and Keady.

They have no sets on offense, no plan whatsoever. It's literally give one guy the ball and 4 other guys stand still around the key. No movement, no give and go's, no ball screens.

You could get a good HS coach in there who has a better idea of how to run an offense than Lavin does.

If Lavin is as clueless as he appears about the in game X's and O's of coaching then at least hire a coach who's strength is these things. Mike Dunlap was that guy. Ever since he left this team looks disjointed and like they have no plan.

Harrison has regressed, he really looks horrible this year. The only reason his stats look decent is because the team has zero options on offense.

And why in the hell does Lavin let Dominic Pointer bring the ball up the court and have the ball in key situations???

He is one of the worst ball handlers I've ever seen in D1 basketball, ever. He should never have the ball in his hands. He is only in there for athleticism, defense, and running around the court like a maniac without a clue what structured 5 man basketball looks like.

Meanwhile Felix Balamou did nothing but good things whenever he was in there last year and yet Lavin has him on the bench.

And Sanchez looks like your most gifted player and yet they don't find ways to get the ball in his hands.

Steve Lavin, great recruiter, awful coach. It's that simple. I like the guy a lot but if the SJU administration doesn't let them hire a real strong X's and O's ass't coach who can build offensive sets for this team then this program will mire in mediocrity.

Their offense is painful to watch as if you watch them they have no movement or sets. It's just one on 5 the whole time. It's not going to change unless they bring in someone to help him.

Poison

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2014, 08:53:53 AM »

4  No team leader

If Lavin is overrated as a recruiter, then you should forgive the results. Pick a side.

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2014, 10:26:59 AM »
Just an anecdotal reference to effective coaching  in closing out games;

@stlappas: This has to be the most amazing stat in all of college basketball. San Diego st. has won 107 STRAIGHT games when leading with 5 min to go!!
They get it done they are a better version of us with a hall of fame coach

uwsfan

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2014, 10:47:51 AM »

4  No team leader

With all due respect dude, you have the basketball IQ of a 5 year old and dont know what youre talking about.
We are NO LONGER IN GOOD SHAPE with 2015 recruits. The recruiting promise for that year was based on THIS season being a success. There is no quality recruiting class coming for 2015. A fact that should be the final nail in the coffin for Lavin, as he cannot win without elite caliber talent.

And spare us the "by Feb" nonsense. Are you the only guy here who hasnt figured out by now that Lavins "February" projection was nothing but a line of BS. An early season built in excuse for underperformance.

It is over, and the reason for the failure is 100% Lavin. Anyone who cant see that at this point is a nice person!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 10:59:17 AM by uwsfan »

TONYD3

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2014, 11:12:37 AM »
Do u think the coaching staff reads this board?

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »

Try 3 minutes into the half or game they put the other team into the bonus.  Not only does this team have very little skilled players they are very unintelligent players to top it off.  Lavin needs to do something about all the fouling but he is almost in a tough situation because every single player plays like this.  Out of control with no discipline.  Getting an assist with this team is like a miracle.  The last 2 games within the first 4 minutes of each 2nd half DePaul and providence were both in the bonus. 

We just have a brutal coaching staff.  I remember king of HYPE saying his boy Rico Hines was the next young great coach.  LOL

boo3

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2014, 11:35:19 AM »
Needs2Go-    You do you want to be the new coach?