Switching teams?

• 38 replies

Moose

Re: Switching teams?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 09:54:42 AM »
Shaka Smart- Smart’s guaranteed compensation is $1.45 million in the first year of the contract and $1.5 million in subsequent years. (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/20/shaka-smarts-new-contract-at-virginia-commonwealth/)

Jim Larranaga- 5 years ago sure.  Not now.

Gregg Marshall- The school announced Monday that Marshall's amended contract raises his base salary to $1.6 million on Nov. 9 and $1.75 million next April. (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9714657/wichita-state-shockers-increase-gregg-marshall-salary-175m)

Lavin is getting paid the most out of any SJU coach ever.  There is no guarantee they dish out the  same money again. No guarantee those same big money boosters are around.  No guarantee any of these guys WANT to come to SJU and if they did would require raises over their current comparable if not more than Lavin is making.

Young
Hungry
Wants to be at SJU

That's what we need out of a coach at this crucial juncture.

I agree and I like Lavin. But he can't coach worth a damn. He looks lost on the sidelines and has no idea how to make in-game changes based on how the other team is defending the Johnnies.

Can't these big boosters who brought him open the checkbook and bring in a really good assistant coach.  A great X's and O's guy. That's what this team needs or it will never just magically get better with Lavin making the calls.

You a Giants fan by chance?  Like trying to convince Coughlin to make changes to his staff.  Lavin gonna fire Whitesell after 1 year?  Fire his buddy Rico?  Fire Chiles the only one who actually is on the road recruiting?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Johnny23

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 09:59:53 AM »
Shaka Smart- Smart’s guaranteed compensation is $1.45 million in the first year of the contract and $1.5 million in subsequent years. (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/20/shaka-smarts-new-contract-at-virginia-commonwealth/)

Gregg Marshall- The school announced Monday that Marshall's amended contract raises his base salary to $1.6 million on Nov. 9 and $1.75 million next April. (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9714657/wichita-state-shockers-increase-gregg-marshall-salary-175m)

Lavin is getting paid the most out of any SJU coach ever.  There is no guarantee they dish out the  same money again. No guarantee those same big money boosters are around.  No guarantee any of these guys WANT to come to SJU and if they did would require raises over their current comparable if not more than Lavin is making.

Young
Hungry
Wants to be at SJU

I agree and I like Lavin. But he can't coach worth a damn. He looks lost on the sidelines and has no idea how to make in-game changes based on how the other team is defending the Johnnies.

Can't these big boosters who brought him open the checkbook and bring in a really good assistant coach.  A great X's and O's guy. That's what this team needs or it will never just magically get better with Lavin making the calls.

You a Giants fan by chance?  Like trying to convince Coughlin to make changes to his staff.  Lavin gonna fire Whitesell after 1 year?  Fire his buddy Rico?  Fire Chiles the only one who actually is on the road recruiting?

Jets, but that's a whole other story. And who the f is Whitesell? I mean, if you're going to bring someone in then bring in a real coach, noone has ever heard of this scrub Whitesell before and for good reason!

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 10:13:19 AM »
  I won' switch teams but, the Manhattan Jaspers, from the BRONX, are looking like MAAC contenders and maybe , a NCAA team. THey hardly ever get on TV though, at least not outside the NY area.

I think Harrington as President was a deterrent to name Coaches wanting to come here. IT remains to be seen if the replacement candidates for Lavin's job, feel differently now that he's gone.

But, this University is still searching for a PRESIDENT and if you rely on Monasch to attract candidates, we'll miss again..

Repole $$$ at least got Billy Donavan's attention enough for him to decline the job. Maybe if Repole threw in a few horses, it might have worked. The NY tax issue can be solved by a number of strategies, mostly dual residences, etc. I'm no CPA but, even I know that..

i dislike the fact that LAVIN has not brought in Local KIDS. I don't buy the fact that the Met AREA talent pool isn't good. And,while I'm at it, Lavin was out of Coaching for 8 years at ESPN. like Fran, he never got a serious offer from anyone, until us.

Say, what you want but, today, UCLA fans are saying, "we told you about LAVIN'S coaching."  Their lament was Lavin took Final 4 talent to the SWEET 16 AND 1 ELITE 8..

here he's taking us to the BE cellar..  The love affair is over for STEVE. he's rising or failng all on his own merits.  Recruiting?  It's painful to see but, his eye for talent is skewed toward school yard kids, who lack team skills and, certainly BB Fundamentals in one or more key areas, like shooting!

Or, rebounding, defense, etc  Obviously relying on HS rankings and the type of player he's in love with, isn't getting it done. AND, THEN THROW IN HIS BIZARRE PLAYER ROTATIONS.

Greene and Pointer are, at best role players, relying on them for key plays is foolish. Keeping you highest rated player, Jordan, on the bench last night is incompetent! 

So, Steve it isn't working for you on the COURT.. And, it doesn't appear you or these players are up to winning basketball..The die is cast..

We're doormats again, 4 years after Norm..ThaT'S A FACT.

i have great memories of the past glories of this BB program but, this descent into terrible BB has lasted way too long a, appears another rebuilding job is in the offing.

Who do we look to bring in?

Smart? Hurley? Masiello? Pitino Jr? I think we missed the boat there.. MINN JUST BEAT OHIO STATE. 

And, how about not considerring Mark jACKSON LAST TIME, BEFORE HE GOT THE wARRIORS JOB?  Right now, he may be NBA Coach OF THE YEAR.. and, to those who thought his inexperience wasn't worthy of St John's... ::) ::) ::)

desco80

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »

Young
Hungry
Wants to be at SJU

No coach wants to fire his assistants.
Big difference is Monasch is not John Marra.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 10:55:50 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 10:49:40 AM »
Well i look at it this way, he took norms players and got more out of them then norm did in 3 years go to the NCAA tournament. He brought Moe in and he was a top pick in the draft after one season, a season that was lost cause of the battle with cancer he had to go through. Then he makes the NIT gets a win without his best player that he suspended. Now this season has been a nightmare but he has done more in his time here then norm did so i think he deserves another season to make it work after that than we can talk about who to look at. So a NCAA birth, an NIT win are not what we were thinking when he signed on 4 yrs ago but things happen, maybe he decides to leave and at that point we can move on. I will always support the team and the school, though it may not work out with LAvs it did prove to me that we can go after a somewhat big name coach and attract national talent (i know the kids that didn't make it hear and the ones who have are underachieving). Just trying to put a bit of a positive spin on a bad situation thats all.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 10:54:31 AM »
Can someone explain all the love for Masiello - he really hasn't done anything at Manhattan yet, has he?  I mean way too early to judge, but certainly not the success I'd want quite yet if we have a coach search at year's end. 

You gotta look at what he had to work with, and then judge him. Manhattan made the MAAC finals last year. He lead them there. I saw him fired up on the sidelines. He wanted his team to get after it, and play tough man to man d. They did.

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 11:00:51 AM »
Everyone's staying right here. I'm going to be miserable. You're going to be miserable. We're all going to be miserable...together. "Three orange whips!"

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 11:08:48 AM »
Everyone's staying right here. I'm going to be miserable. You're going to be miserable. We're all going to be miserable...together. "Three orange whips!"

Yes, the " BEATINGS SHOULD CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE AND WINNING IMPROVES."   i saw that on a Pirate TEE shirt at Walmarts.. 

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 11:16:45 AM »
I've had tickets to tomorrow's Dartmouth game for a few months. Meeting up w/ 2 old classmates and we were going to walk the campus for a little while before tip. Now I feel like selling our tickets and using the money to buy slices at Vincenzo's across the street...except they're not even worth the cost of a plain slice.

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 12:38:54 PM »
I'm also rooting for Florida this year!

I really thought this St. John's team would look a lot like Billy Donovan's squads.  Good point guard, with a lot of athletic wings that play the 2 /3/ 4, and then a good big man patrolling the middle. 

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 12:50:04 PM »
I mean I won't switch or anything but I am related to the Baron's at Canisus. Billy is doing some big things up in Buffalo.

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 03:04:30 PM »
You dont pick your teams. They pick you.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 04:42:14 PM »

As an aside I absolutely hate that phrase.  As someone new to soccer in the last 2 years hearing that phrase from so many soccer fans. 

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 05:15:50 PM »
Over the last 2 years, when posters would get on coach, I would always revert back to the success we had in Year 1 of taking Norm's guys and turning them into a top 20 team that would have been a #4 or #5 seed if DJ didn't go down, and probably gotten a better draw.

Increasingly, I'm becoming of the mindset that the success in Year 1 was due in large part to Dunlap and that not having him is the biggest difference right now.  We know that Lavs can recruit, and we have the most talent here since Fran.  But there is no way that a very good coach would be getting the results that we have seen thus far.

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 05:24:19 PM »
the reason for success in year 1 for Lavin was bc they players had some bball IQ. DJ, Hardy and Brownlee were smart basketball players, not the best athletes in the gym. The team was able to learn and play in Dnlap's style. This crew of athletes have 0 bball IQ and would never be able to grasp what Dunlap would teach

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 10:09:22 PM »

As an aside I absolutely hate that phrase.  As someone new to soccer in the last 2 years hearing that phrase from so many soccer fans. 

Its the truth lol
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

hnk

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2014, 12:08:32 AM »
Moose, both Wisky and Creighton lost....it must be me!

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2014, 12:42:57 AM »
Can someone explain all the love for Masiello - he really hasn't done anything at Manhattan yet, has he?  I mean way too early to judge, but certainly not the success I'd want quite yet if we have a coach search at year's end. 

He's done very well, but he walked into an ideal situation: 

-His predecessor, Slice, was a legendary recruiter but truly awful in-game coach
-Slice left a year after he assembled what was labeled the best recruiting class in Manhattan history
-The squad the prior year had FOUR first year starters that Mas inherited and a terrible record
-Three of those players were Alvarado (all conference PG), Rahmel Jones (2-time MAAC defensive player of the year and all-conference center), and George Beamon, first team all conference SG.  All three are still there.
-The squad the prior year was plagued by injuries, including a first-year JUCO transfer that missed the entire year and first suited up and even started for Mas
-When George Beamon sat out last year due to injury, the team fell to 14-18 in spite of returning three other starters and adding the MAAC co-rookie of the year and another MAAC all-rookie selection

It's tough to ignore those facts when talking about his accomplishments thus far, but I am still optimistic about his future.  He's a young, energetic and well-liked coach with a first class pedigree.  He's a New Yorker and he's a guy that I think will be able to recruit.  He identified three solid recruits that made the MAAC rookie team in his first two recruiting classes and he signed a big-time transfer, Ashton Pankey, from Maryland, proving he can play the all-important transfer game.  He played in both the CHSAA and the NEPSAC, so that could pay dividends in recruiting.

Moose

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2014, 01:12:01 AM »

He's done very well, but he walked into an ideal situation: 

-His predecessor, Slice, was a legendary recruiter but truly awful in-game coach
-Slice left a year after he assembled what was labeled the best recruiting class in Manhattan history
-The squad the prior year had FOUR first year starters that Mas inherited and a terrible record
-Three of those players were Alvarado (all conference PG), Rahmel Jones (2-time MAAC defensive player of the year and all-conference center), and George Beamon, first team all conference SG.  All three are still there.
-The squad the prior year was plagued by injuries, including a first-year JUCO transfer that missed the entire year and first suited up and even started for Mas
-When George Beamon sat out last year due to injury, the team fell to 14-18 in spite of returning three other starters and adding the MAAC co-rookie of the year and another MAAC all-rookie selection

It's tough to ignore those facts when talking about his accomplishments thus far, but I am still optimistic about his future.  He's a young, energetic and well-liked coach with a first class pedigree.  He's a New Yorker and he's a guy that I think will be able to recruit.  He identified three solid recruits that made the MAAC rookie team in his first two recruiting classes and he signed a big-time transfer, Ashton Pankey, from Maryland, proving he can play the all-important transfer game.  He played in both the CHSAA and the NEPSAC, so that could pay dividends in recruiting.

Hahaha

6 win team!!!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:12:26 AM by Moose »