Obekpa

• 83 replies
Re: Obekpa
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 12:23:18 PM »
To be fair to Gift he had outplayed him last game.

desco80

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 12:29:26 PM »

This is true.   And I'm usually very hard on Gift, but he's our only big who gives a rat's a$$ about getting good position down low.

Tha Kid

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 12:46:46 PM »
Cant blame the kid.  Maybe he doesnt try hard enough in practice or something, but from whT ive seen without knowing more, he seems to deserve more time and is in the doghouse...
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 01:42:36 PM »

This is true.   And I'm usually very hard on Gift, but he's our only big who gives a rat's a$$ about getting good position down low.

He's the only guy who goes 100% all the time. Feel bad for him that he's on a team like this.

goredmen

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 01:49:33 PM »
Have to wonder if hes the only one fed up with the staff and would rather play for the Idaho Fire Ants than SJU.

If there is a mass exodus after the season and the team is short on talent next year I would think Lav would make up some excuse to get out while it all completely collapses around him. As bad a coach as he is hes smart enough to know when the team will be bad and unless he really wants/needs the money I think his ego will take over and he'll bounce. He would see that it would be near impossible for him to succeed and he'd be a lame duck coach until his contract expires. There have been much better coaches than him in much better situations that have left their programs when they saw the writing on the wall. Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll are good examples of that in football.

paultzman

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 01:58:13 PM »
Have to wonder if hes the only one fed up with the staff and would rather play for the Idaho Fire Ants than SJU.

If there is a mass exodus after the season and the team is short on talent next year I would think Lav would make up some excuse to get out while it all completely collapses around him. As bad a coach as he is hes smart enough to know when the team will be bad and unless he really wants/needs the money I think his ego will take over and he'll bounce. He would see that it would be near impossible for him to succeed and he'd be a lame duck coach until his contract expires. There have been much better coaches than him in much better situations that have left their programs when they saw the writing on the wall. Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll are good examples of that in football.

Smart guy.

jr49

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 02:00:55 PM »
CO a second year player. He has plenty of time to work himself out of the dog house if that is where he finds himself. Big tough kids shouldn't brood. The bigs on this team going to have to help win a  game down the stretch.

jr49

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 02:03:59 PM »

He needs to find better players. Guys who play hard and don't piss the games away.

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 02:37:07 PM »
There have been much better coaches than him in much better situations that have left their programs when they saw the writing on the wall. Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll are good examples of that in football.

Cmon now.  Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll left their jobs knowing anytime they wanted to they would be in consideration for any job with an opening that they had interest in.  Lavin has been totally exposed now and he would have a very difficult time finding any sort of a decent job.  He is an awful coach the other 2 guys are great coaches.  Terrible example.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:38:03 PM by Needs2go »

goredmen

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 02:47:29 PM »
There have been much better coaches than him in much better situations that have left their programs when they saw the writing on the wall. Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll are good examples of that in football.

Cmon now.  Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll left their jobs knowing anytime they wanted to they would be in consideration for any job with an opening that they had interest in.  Lavin has been totally exposed now and he would have a very difficult time finding any sort of a decent job.  He is an awful coach the other 2 guys are great coaches.  Terrible example.

You missed my point. My point was that they knew they were going to be in for some very mediocre seasons had they stayed where they were so they got out while their value was still very very high. I know Lavin isn't in close to the same league as those two but coaches with huge egos like Meyer, Carroll and Lavin see the iceberg straight ahead and get off the Titanic before it sinks

Poison

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 02:52:25 PM »

He needs to find better players. Guys who play hard and don't piss the games away.

The consensus was before they came to STJ that Branch, Obekpa, Harrison, Gift, Pointer, Sanchez, Jordan and Sampson were a star quality high major talents. When we had Eugene Lawrence running the point, and Tomas Jasuloines getting significant playing time, we needed to get better players. They were good dudes, but they weren't more than Northeast Conference  level players.

Did you watch the offense on thursday? Our guys don't know what they're doing out there. They don't know what play they're running, or what defense they're playing.

Foad

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
Did you watch the offense on thursday? Our guys don't know what they're doing out there. They don't know what play they're running, or what defense they're playing.

"In 1997, it was at its best. The great thing was the timeouts. Charles (O'Bannon) would say, 'What are we in?' And two guys would say, 'We're in quicksand,' and the other three would say, 'We're in man-to-man.' I'd say, 'Good. That's how we want it."'

uwsfan

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 03:56:55 PM »

Well hes had 3 years to do that. He recruited these guys, all of them.
All very different guys, from different parts of the country and different high school/prep backgrounds. But somehow its is the players, ALL of them, not just one or two guys who dont develop as expected, which you will find even with the best coaches, but as someone here already noted, its EVERY player.

Now what is the one thing all of these guys have in common.?         Their "coach"
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:58:53 PM by uwsfan »

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 04:16:16 PM »
I'm sure he's mulling it over now, but there is a lot of season left.  He has to earn his minutes by playing better man to man defense.  If his goal is to last more than a season in the NBA, this is a big favor to him. He is a guaranteed 30 mpg next season.

As for Jordan, whatever.  We can get a combo from JUCO that won't come with 1/10th the baggage and we still have Branch.  We could be 0-5 without both of these kids.

Michael Jordan egos without the game to match.

boo3

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 05:14:37 PM »
 Watching the kid from Kansas, Emblid.......Obekpa isn't 1/8 of the player this kid is..

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 05:46:56 PM »
Watching the kid from Kansas, Emblid.......Obekpa isn't 1/8 of the player this kid is..

Thats because he has been coached and developed.  Great job by Lavin.  With Obelpa's possible  and Balamou getting a royal screwing I'm sure we are in great shape with Diallo as he attends the same prep school.  Can Lavin be that stupid??

goredmen

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 06:04:26 PM »

Every time I watch Kansas the announcers rave about how it was norm that discovered embiid

boo3

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 06:24:01 PM »

Thats because he has been coached and developed.  Great job by Lavin.  With Obelpa's possible  and Balamou getting a royal screwing I'm sure we are in great shape with Diallo as he attends the same prep school.  Can Lavin be that stupid??

He's a freshman , ma'am

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 06:49:15 PM »
Big news.....

Marillac

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 07:45:16 PM »

Every time I watch Kansas the announcers rave about how it was norm that discovered embiid

He is 7'0 and was a top 25 recruit.  How much discovering did he need?  If gets reported that a kid can tie his shoes at that height, he is worth signing.