Obekpa

• 83 replies
Re: Obekpa
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 09:04:39 PM »
I hear that Chiles had to talk Obekpa out of transferring at halftime tonight.

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 11:14:42 PM »

Is this said tongue-in-cheek?

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2014, 11:27:34 PM »

It was.  I actually should have put it in the Obekpa transsfer thread on the other board.  I also should have put a winky.

hnk

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2014, 11:57:41 PM »
CO and Coach Whitesell were arguing w each other on the way in for the second half.  CO didn't warm up.  Coach Chiles and then Coach Hines had to calm him down.  Does anyone know what was up?

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2014, 12:06:48 AM »
CO and Coach Whitesell were arguing w each other on the way in for the second half.  CO didn't warm up.  Coach Chiles and then Coach Hines had to calm him down.  Does anyone know what was up?

I noticed that they were calming him down while the rest of the team huddled.  I have no idea why.  Whitesell is supposed to coach bigs so maybe he had some criticism that CO didn't like.  Kids really need to understand that the coaches have more knowledge and are there to help them develop.  Unless a coach is an ass like Mike Rice, kids need to listen and follow instruction.

redslope

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2014, 12:09:12 AM »
CO was not his usual upbeat self tonight.  He was dragging on the court and did not look motivated.  Bad attitude for future aspirations.  Meanwhile GG gives 100% on the court when given minutes (that he is proving he deserves).

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2014, 12:16:21 AM »
GG's defense and rebounding have been terrific the last couple of games.  He has also been rather efficient on the offensive end.  Unfortunately, tonight he missed the alley-oop from Dom and he fumbled another entry pass on the block.  Otherwise, he had a good game in limited minutes.  Btw, I think 12-15 minutes is good for him.

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2014, 12:54:53 AM »
CO played like CRAPPPPPPPPP tonight. Looked very disinterested.

Five fouls, three turnovers in 12 minutes.

paultzman

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2014, 09:45:48 AM »
Obekpa, who led the nation in blocked shots per game as a freshman last season, has struggled in recent games. On Saturday, he looked lethargic and fouled out in just 12 minutes, with two blocks, three rebounds, zero points and three turnovers.

Lavin deflected a question about Obekpa after the game. When asked if he is worried about Obekpa, because he seems to be searching for himself right now, Lavin initially acted confused and then cracked jokes in response.

"Searching for himself -- sounds kind of existential to me," Lavin said. "That's a little too deep for me. I'll have to watch the film on that one. I don't know what he's searching for."

Not teaching a Philosophy class Steve!  He's apparently not teaching anything!

@KieranDarcy: St. John's beat Dartmouth last night -- my #sjubb column on what it means, if anything: http://t.co/YF7Ns5VVaK

Foad

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2014, 10:06:15 AM »
"Searching for himself -- sounds kind of existential to me," Lavin said. "That's a little too deep for me. I'll have to watch the film on that one. I don't know what he's searching for."

I'm guessing it a coach

paultzman

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2014, 10:09:38 AM »

I'm guessing it a coach

HaHa

Foad

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2014, 10:46:33 AM »
@KieranDarcy: St. John's beat Dartmouth last night -- my #sjubb column on what it means, if anything: http://t.co/YF7Ns5VVaK

"Lavin thinks the breakthrough came after the team's blowout loss at Georgetown on Jan. 4. "

In a stunning turn of events Steve Lavin credits Steve Lavin with having motivated Steve Lavin's team by starting Steve Lavin's walkons, which walkons Steve Lavin started to motivate Steve Lavin's team. Steve Lavin's evidence that Steve Lavin's strategy worked? His team's three game losing streak.

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2014, 04:16:56 PM »
GG's defense and rebounding have been terrific the last couple of games.  He has also been rather efficient on the offensive end.  Unfortunately, tonight he missed the alley-oop from Dom and he fumbled another entry pass on the block.  Otherwise, he had a good game in limited minutes.  Btw, I think 12-15 minutes is good for him.

Don't know what is going on but CO looks pissed...I will say that he does cheer for the team...when he fouled out he looked like he didn't care...

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2014, 11:33:28 PM »
I try not to read body language.  When a kid says or overtly does something, then there is something to take notice of.

Criticize Lavin all you want but doesn't anyone else think asking the coach about a player seeming to be "searching for himself" is a stupid question? 

Marillac

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2014, 11:56:58 PM »
I try not to read body language.  When a kid says or overtly does something, then there is something to take notice of.

Criticize Lavin all you want but doesn't anyone else think asking the coach about a player seeming to be "searching for himself" is a stupid question? 

It is a stupid question, but the sharks are circling and anything is fair game if it fits the anti-Lavin Agenda. 

Marillac

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2014, 12:05:58 AM »
CO played like CRAPPPPPPPPP tonight. Looked very disinterested.

Five fouls, three turnovers in 12 minutes.

The kid is frustrated just like every other  athletic player in every other sport that relied on their superior gifts early in their career,  but is getting coached up for the first time at a higher level. He has relied on his instincts and shot-blocking ability his entire career.  His OSNA teams were fun-and-gun with a 2-3 zone defense and not a big emphasis on fundamentals.  He did well, turned heads and put up mind-blowing stats, but now that he's asked to take a more fundamental approach to become a better overall player, it isn't coming quickly and he's getting frustrated.  If he makes the breakthrough he'll be a better player and we'll be a better team for it. 

There is a ton of ball left to be played this season and there is plenty of time for him to get it and take the next step  in his evolution.  This can really end up in two very different directions, but, with the way things are right now , everything is being taken negatively.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:07:38 AM by Marillac »

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2014, 12:55:56 AM »

It is a stupid question, but the sharks are circling and anything is fair game if it fits the anti-Lavin Agenda. 

"the anti-Lavin agenda"?? Give me a break.  This team returns about 95% of the scoring from last year and has regressed.  Go back in Steve Lavin's past and you will see there is precedent for this.

When you're 0-5 in your league you don't need an "agenda".  The proof is in the pudding.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2014, 03:27:38 AM »
"Searching for something" or himself or whatever the damn quote is is actually putting it kindly! Would some of you prefer he asked Lavin why is CO playing like shit under your tutelage?

desco80

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2014, 09:28:34 AM »

+1     There are plenty of questions to ask SL in a press conference, don't waste your time on the body language of a college kid who is in a slump.

Foad

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2014, 10:12:45 AM »

+1     There are plenty of questions to ask SL in a press conference, don't waste your time on the body language of a college kid who is in a slump.

The question might not have been artfully phrased, but the issue underlying the question is undoubtedly relevant: why are there so many grievances between the coach and his players. Evans, Harrison, Jordan, Obekpa, and throw in Lindsey, Stith and Polee. Unless you're willing to swallow Lavin's line of BS about how he's teaching his players skills for life and basketball is a privilege, that's a relevant question. And it'll be even more relevant after the season when more unhappy players leave. 

The irony is that according to Lavin the alleged system he allegedly teaches is all about jazz and improvisation and jam sessions but when it comes to the players body hair and facial expressions and sleeping habits he's suddenly a control freak. The more I hear him the more I become convinced that he's psychologically disturbed.