Coach lavin

• 131 replies

boo3

Re: Coach lavin
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 08:18:56 AM »
It's so cute how you come to Miss Linda's defense all the time. 

(Shhhh... She's not really a woman)

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 10:41:11 AM »

That happened to a buddy of mine in a bar in Newark.  Sometimes they look so real!    :2funny:

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 09:52:22 PM »
In the military there is an expression "There are only two good post my last and my next." In the case UCLA fan base there is only one good coach the next unless you want  to count Wooden as the last

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 10:06:49 PM »
In the military there is an expression "There are only two good post my last and my next." In the case UCLA fan base there is only one good coach the next unless you want  to count Wooden as the last

+1 niiiiiiiicccccccceeeee.... To carry on, "this unit is 8up, my last unit was squared away".
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 10:58:44 PM »

Shhhhhhh is right as you're not really a man. little girl.

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 11:22:27 PM »
This is not as bad as it gets. See mahoney jarvis end and norm. The roster needs to be revamped some next year. Some of the blame falls on the players too. Lavin needs to get some better iq basketball guys. He is smart enough to realize that. Plus hiis success with fund raising will get him plenty of more time if he wants!!!

Lavin has done no better than Mahoney. He's been better than Norm, so I guess he can put that in his résumé after the season. Jarvis was a better coach at STJ than Lavin. I'm not even sure it's close.

Lavin may be doing better then Norm but Norm was a joke, why compare him to Norm?  Just curious, does any one know what the record is for consecutive Big East losses?  Lavin now holds the record for consecutive Big East losses by a St. Johns team, and......................  has accomplished this the present year with the WEAKEST Big East basketball conference of all time.
Hey Linda, SJU has had a one win season so your numbers don't come out. Loses 4 and 5 was our kids grabbing loses from wins.  What you bring to this board is bad vibes and lousy posts. What we got going on now is a poor season that you no doubt relish in. How about giving that negative crap a rest? 

My first question for you JR is..... when you typed this post were you sober???  Your post is idiotic and makes no sense at all. Please tell me which year we won only one Big East game? 
This is not as bad as it gets. See mahoney jarvis end and norm. The roster needs to be revamped some next year. Some of the blame falls on the players too. Lavin needs to get some better iq basketball guys. He is smart enough to realize that. Plus hiis success with fund raising will get him plenty of more time if he wants!!!

Lavin has done no better than Mahoney. He's been better than Norm, so I guess he can put that in his résumé after the season. Jarvis was a better coach at STJ than Lavin. I'm not even sure it's close.

Lavin may be doing better then Norm but Norm was a joke, why compare him to Norm?  Just curious, does any one know what the record is for consecutive Big East losses?  Lavin now holds the record for consecutive Big East losses by a St. Johns team, and......................  has accomplished this the present year with the WEAKEST Big East basketball conference of all time.
Hey Linda, SJU has had a one win season so your numbers don't come out. Loses 4 and 5 was our kids grabbing loses from wins.  What you bring to this board is bad vibes and lousy posts. What we got going on now is a poor season that you no doubt relish in. How about giving that negative crap a rest? 

Just curious, were you sober when you wrote this post?  Please tell me in which year we only won one Big East game? Even if that were true, unless that game was the first or last game of the season, my statement would still hold. Grabbing losses from wins, are you for real?  Face it, the team lost, trying to spin a positive in this situation is nice personic. I have been questioning this organization and mostly Lavins BS for some time now when everyone called me out etc.  I also have been saying that recruiting had not been going well but was once again reminded what a great recruiter Lavin was.  So now many of our more popular posters are stating what I have been stating all along.  and now you post this garbage about me enjoying the breakdown?  Not at all, and if you had a brain you would have seen that as I truly feel for these kids as they are lost out on the court, yet Im sure the BS from Lavin will continue about what a work in progress we are.

SJUFAN

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 03:07:57 PM »
yet Im sure the BS from Lavin will continue about what a work in progress we are.

But we are a work in progress, why does that reality sting so bad? You can get mad at coach all you want, you can criticize his coaching all you want. The bottom line is our players' need to improve and I think in time, when they are seniors, they will. It doesn't matter what the kids are ranked, what matters is how they play once they get to this level. There are other programs that struggle even though they land top recruits, stop making it seem as if its only Lavin. Look at Maryland or especially North Caroline. NC has 6-7 top 100 kids. 3 are top 25, and 1 is top 10 and they struggle, its not about the coaching all the time, and our program is no where near what those programs are.

goredmen

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 03:22:04 PM »
yet Im sure the BS from Lavin will continue about what a work in progress we are.

But we are a work in progress, why does that reality sting so bad? You can get mad at coach all you want, you can criticize his coaching all you want. The bottom line is our players' need to improve and I think in time, when they are seniors, they will. It doesn't matter what the kids are ranked, what matters is how they play once they get to this level. There are other programs that struggle even though they land top recruits, stop making it seem as if its only Lavin. Look at Maryland or especially North Caroline. NC has 6-7 top 100 kids. 3 are top 25, and 1 is top 10 and they struggle, its not about the coaching all the time, and our program is no where near what those programs are.

Work in progress? You do realize we have more experience than most teams right? Not every team that wins wins with seniors or lottery pick underclassmen. Sanchez practiced with the team all last season so Rysheed is the only guy who wasnt here last year. We have lost to three inferior teams (penn state, depaul, providence) that arent exactly stacked with seniors.

In order for Lavin to win here without a really strong X's and O's assistant hes going to need Kentucky caliber players and we know thats not possible. He wont be able to be win with talent just a little bit better than the rest of the conference

desco80

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 03:30:20 PM »

1) Team "x" doing poorly isn't a defense for coach Lavin and these particular circumstances.   The facts are that he is making illogical starting lineups; he is calling inopportune timeouts; he is substituting in an entirely unhelpful manner; and his players haven't developed.   
That has nothing to do with Roy Williams.   If your point is that even talented teams sometimes don't win, then I agree.  Otherwise it's a nonsensical excuse. 
And it's a ridiculous comparison in the first place.  Those teams aren't failing at anywhere near the rate that Lavin's team is.   UNC has had a bad stretch, they've also beaten Louisville, Michigan State, and Kentucky.   We're 1-9 against teams from major conferences. 

2) You simply cannot throw the rankings out the window, say the players aren't good enough, and not mention that Lavin is the one who scouted and recruited these players!   It would be one thing if you said his recruiting is above reproach because according to these independent standards he got some of the best players around.
But you're admitting the rankings aren't everything, and have little to do with success once the guys get to college.   If true, then there seems there is a direct correlation between Lavin evaluating and selecting players x,y, and z; and the results we're now experiencing.   You can't have it both ways.   

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 03:58:38 PM »
Lavin has had one good recruiting class and that's it.  The problem with that first good recruiting class is half of them were ineligible so he was recruiting against himself for players that had no chance to play.

The second year he had to re recruit Sampson who was initially part of the first class and he pretty much struck out on everybody else.  Obeckpa was the very last kid in all of America to sign and seems like after the Cincinnati players couldn't stop fighting where ever they went he pretty much fell in our laps and I think we are starting to see what type of player we got.  He seems lazy and disinterested (except in one thing and that is blocking shots).  He cant rebound, shoot, shoot ft's, stay out of foul trouble and so on so nothing special here he has no chance of making it in the league. 

Sad to say but Sampson and Obeckpa would have both benifitted by leaving after their freshmen years.  Their stock has both absolutely plummeted.  I remember seeing Obeckpa as a Top 10 pick in a 2015 Mock Draft now he is barely at the end of the second round.  He has a quarter of the skills as Hasheem Thabbet and he is barely hanging in the league.

Really Lavin has struck out on way more big recruits than he has gotten.  Way more

SJUFAN

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 05:03:02 PM »

Work in progress? You do realize we have more experience than most teams right? Not every team that wins wins with seniors or lottery pick underclassmen. Sanchez practiced with the team all last season so Rysheed is the only guy who wasnt here last year. We have lost to three inferior teams (penn state, depaul, providence) that arent exactly stacked with seniors.

In order for Lavin to win here without a really strong X's and O's assistant hes going to need Kentucky caliber players and we know thats not possible. He wont be able to be win with talent just a little bit better than the rest of the conference

Practice is different than playing the game. Like it or not, the success of this year is based on the success of Sanchez and Jordan, two players who have never played D1 ball before. That is why Lavin is always speaking about us clicking in February. Those two players need the time to adjust, if they don't, we are not a talented team. When you say 3 teams that are inferior to us, how are you measuring that? I think Providence by far has more talent than us 1 through 5. We are deeper, in the sense that our scrubs is better than there scrubs, but the great thing about basketball is only 5 players on a team is allowed to play at the same time. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 05:26:50 PM »

1) Team "x" doing poorly isn't a defense for coach Lavin and these particular circumstances.   The facts are that he is making illogical starting lineups; he is calling inopportune timeouts; he is substituting in an entirely unhelpful manner; and his players haven't developed.   
That has nothing to do with Roy Williams.   If your point is that even talented teams sometimes don't win, then I agree.  Otherwise it's a nonsensical excuse. 
And it's a ridiculous comparison in the first place.  Those teams aren't failing at anywhere near the rate that Lavin's team is.   UNC has had a bad stretch, they've also beaten Louisville, Michigan State, and Kentucky.   We're 1-9 against teams from major conferences. 

2) You simply cannot throw the rankings out the window, say the players aren't good enough, and not mention that Lavin is the one who scouted and recruited these players!   It would be one thing if you said his recruiting is above reproach because according to these independent standards he got some of the best players around.
But you're admitting the rankings aren't everything, and have little to do with success once the guys get to college.   If true, then there seems there is a direct correlation between Lavin evaluating and selecting players x,y, and z; and the results we're now experiencing.   You can't have it both ways.   

Its not a defense, just pointing out the fact that rankings by themself isn't enough to say Lavin is doing a bad job. Other programs, who are better programs, with better coaches, struggle as well. When I mean better programs i mean a program who wasn't on the verge of being a Mid Major like we were when he took over. Who was norm planning on bringing in to fill those spots? That would have been the final nail in the coffin. That  doesn't mean Lavin could not do a better job coaching, but i don't believe the issues we have with Lavin is why the team has struggled. Who is our go-to-player? I think we all agreed that Harrison is best suited to be Robin than Batman, which means we don't have a go to player. Sampson would be next in line but right now he isn't even Cat women. Jordan is still to young. If Sampson and Obekpa were playing on Syracuse they would probably play 8-12 minutes a game this year.

The problem isn't Sampson, the problem is we need a Batman and we don't have it, yet. Now when Sampson becomes a senior maybe he could develop into a Batman, Robin, or Cat women. But by then you will have Seniors in Obekpa and Hooper and a Junior in Jordan. Augmented by some young talent in 14' and 15'. Just because I believe the players' aren't good enough now, that does not mean I think they never will. They need to develop. That's the problem with having to replace 9 ships in one class. The cycle begins to change next year when we finally have senior leadership.     

Poison

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 05:45:20 PM »

Practice is different than playing the game. Like it or not, the success of this year is based on the success of Sanchez and Jordan, two players who have never played D1 ball before. That is why Lavin is always speaking about us clicking in February. Those two players need the time to adjust, if they don't, we are not a talented team. When you say 3 teams that are inferior to us, how are you measuring that? I think Providence by far has more talent than us 1 through 5. We are deeper, in the sense that our scrubs is better than there scrubs, but the great thing about basketball is only 5 players on a team is allowed to play at the same time. 

Providence wasn't considered to have more talent than us in Oct w out their two point guards. But what would be used as an excuse at St.John's isn't slowing them down much. They beat us on the road w out a point guard. We lost to them last year at Prov, and it was easy to accept "No Harrison" as an excuse.

I think in regards to Lavin calling the team a work in progress, I think he's right. But, I think he's the reason why they are so far behind other BE programs. Providence may have a limited roster, but at least they know what role everyone has. Who's our center? Our PG? Lavin hasn't figured that out yet, and as much as he's like to blame that on the players, it's his fault for settling on a line up and sticking w it.

These are amateurs, and they need to be directed. At this point, Lavin has failed worse than any STJ coach, ever. They don't make a salary, and he makes a rather large one. As Lavin said himself when he was hired, "this is the honeymoon period, and I know it won't last forever".

Right now, you could call this the "War of the Roses" period, and the players are the kids.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:47:41 PM by Poison »

SJUFAN

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »
Lavin has had one good recruiting class and that's it.  The problem with that first good recruiting class is half of them were ineligible so he was recruiting against himself for players that had no chance to play.

The second year he had to re recruit Sampson who was initially part of the first class and he pretty much struck out on everybody else.  Obeckpa was the very last kid in all of America to sign and seems like after the Cincinnati players couldn't stop fighting where ever they went he pretty much fell in our laps and I think we are starting to see what type of player we got.  He seems lazy and disinterested (except in one thing and that is blocking shots).  He cant rebound, shoot, shoot ft's, stay out of foul trouble and so on so nothing special here he has no chance of making it in the league. 

Sad to say but Sampson and Obeckpa would have both benifitted by leaving after their freshmen years.  Their stock has both absolutely plummeted.  I remember seeing Obeckpa as a Top 10 pick in a 2015 Mock Draft now he is barely at the end of the second round.  He has a quarter of the skills as Hasheem Thabbet and he is barely hanging in the league.

Really Lavin has struck out on way more big recruits than he has gotten.  Way more

I see it differently. With the understanding that Lavin was not recruiting any one for almost a decade and then comes on the scene and lands players' that other programs were recruting for years speaks of his recruiting ability. Are they flawed? sure but they are great pieces to build a program with. When they are seniors they will be really good, especially if they are playing with better players. A more experienced Jordan, and better young talent. That's is what is missing in all of this is that these players' were never one and done type players, regardless of what some website stated, my position has always been that they are all four year players. That's not a bad thing. They are pieces that needs to develop. That takes time.

Now that Lavin has been building relationship over the past few years he will be able to land better players' to play with our seniors. I don't care if we don't win a single BE game that is not going to stop Lavin from bringing in players. You just play to the ego of the kid and let them kno that's why we need him and he'll be given the keys to the team. He'll have minutes, exposure, NY, etc, many selling points. 

TONYD3

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2014, 05:53:01 PM »
U would have to be an idiot to come in and play for this guy . Team is only getting worse

goredmen

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2014, 05:54:40 PM »

I see it differently. With the understanding that Lavin was not recruiting any one for almost a decade and then comes on the scene and lands players' that other programs were recruting for years speaks of his recruiting ability. Are they flawed? sure but they are great pieces to build a program with. When they are seniors they will be really good, especially if they are playing with better players. A more experienced Jordan, and better young talent. That's is what is missing in all of this is that these players' were never one and done type players, regardless of what some website stated, my position has always been that they are all four year players. That's not a bad thing. They are pieces that needs to develop. That takes time.

Now that Lavin has been building relationship over the past few years he will be able to land better players' to play with our seniors. I don't care if we don't win a single BE game that is not going to stop Lavin from bringing in players. You just play to the ego of the kid and let them kno that's why we need him and he'll be given the keys to the team. He'll have minutes, exposure, NY, etc, many selling points. 

If guys like Sampson, Obekpa, Dom, Sheed continue to come along slower than expected in the development process and dont reach their full potential by the time their carrer is over then high school and AAU coaches will take notice. If/when that happens it will be exponentially harder for Lavin to land quality players

paultzman

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2014, 05:55:42 PM »

If guys like Sampson, Obekpa, Dom, Sheed continue to come along slower than expected in the development process and dont reach their full potential by the time their carrer is over then high school and AAU coaches will take notice. If/when that happens it will be exponentially harder for Lavin to land quality players
+1

uwsfan

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2014, 06:12:47 PM »
U would have to be an idiot to come in and play for this guy . Team is only getting worse

True. Lavin is not going to sign anymore highly ranked players after losing with the ones he currently has. The writing is on the wall. He cannot win, not now nor in the future. Its over!

Poison

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »
The players don't know where they should be on the court. Watch them on a fast break. Watch them against the zone. (Which, BTW, Jordan has no idea what he should be doing against)

SJUFAN

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 06:25:44 PM »
I think in regards to Lavin calling the team a work in progress, I think he's right. But, I think he's the reason why they are so far behind other BE programs. Providence may have a limited roster, but at least they know what role everyone has. Who's our center? Our PG? Lavin hasn't figured that out yet, and as much as he's like to blame that on the players, it's his fault for settling on a line up and sticking w it.

Players' define there roles, not coaches. If you were a 240lb beast and grabbed 7 boards a game and controlled the paint, then you will play the middle. If you could run the offense, take care of the ball, score and distribute, then you will play point. However, if one guard is turnover prone but can score, and your other guard doesn't turn the ball over and can score but can't pass, then as a coach your forced to mix and match maybe go with the hot hand.

The reason why it may seem like we don't have define roles is because, all of our players', with the exception of Jordan, is one dimensional. Gift can't score, but he rebounds, Obekpa can't rebound or score, but he can block shots, Sanchez does a little bit of everything but is foul prone. Sampson scores, but does nothing else. Yet you say its the coach that has to define the role of the players'? The coaches are going to play who he thinks he needs to win that particular game, and it can very from game to game because of the skill of the individual player and the strength and weakness of the opposing teams.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:27:22 PM by SJUFAN »