New York Post Blast

• 48 replies
Re: New York Post Blast
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 12:53:06 PM »
No prob with the content.  But all the quotes are unattributed.  I could be giving him the quotes....Or did I?

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 01:26:28 PM »
Maybe the source was Massielo

paultzman

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 02:18:10 PM »
Press gathering. This pm.

@NYPost_Brazille: "I know I can do better." -- Obekpa #sjubb

@NYPost_Brazille: "Improve on everything. Offensively, defensively, everything."-- Obekpa. #sjubb

paultzman

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 02:49:32 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Lavin sticking to belief team will jell by February. #sjubb

bk8664

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Lavin sticking to belief team will jell by February. #sjubb

Who gives a rat's ass about February?  The season started in November.

paultzman

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 02:56:54 PM »
Same old, same old.

@NYPost_Brazille: "There's been a dramatic difference" in team's play since Georgetown, Lavin said. #sjubb

tnice

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 03:03:45 PM »
I wonder what Mr. Repole is thinking about when he sees the continuing ineptitude

“The team is not living up to its expectations, and the talent seems better than its been in 10 years,” a source with ties to the program said. “To me, at the end of the day, accountability always falls on senior management, or in this case the coaching staff.”

Note the use of the words "senior management". I think that gives you a nice clue about the source of this quote.

DFF6

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 03:14:13 PM »
Same old, same old.

@NYPost_Brazille: "There's been a dramatic difference" in team's play since Georgetown, Lavin said. #sjubb

"First step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one." -- Jeff Daniels from the show Newsroom.

Moose

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 03:15:31 PM »
Same old, same old.

He's right.
We aren't getting our doors blown off.
Yippee!!!!
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 03:18:13 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Overall message from today was St John's is close to breaking through going on a run. Heard it for a while.  We'll see if starts tomorrow

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 03:48:23 PM »
This run better be 8 of 9 or something like that, or Lavin should be ran out the door.

paultzman

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 07:05:06 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: If my column made it sound li
ke Tony Chiles is not a hard-working recruiter, it wasn't the intention. #sjubb

@NYPost_Brazille: I think the problem lies otherwise in terms of recruiting. But Chiles has been successful at every stop in his career as a recruiter. #sjubb
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:07:22 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 09:01:05 PM »
A**hole reporters are accusing people, without any proof, of being lazy.  Then they have to apologize for it.  I wonder where theyget those notions from?  From the a**holes on these boards who are accusing people of being lazy recruiters.

One thing I realize about recruiting is you really don't know what's going on behind the scenes because the coaches can't say anything.  All we can do is speculate about why a cach isn't at a particular event.  Maybe they aren't recruiting anyone there.  Maybe one of the kids playing there is already in the fold.  No way to know.

CTK coach says in an article that Lavin has never been to CTK but in another he says Lavin offered Adonis.  Obviously, someone on the staff saw him play somewhere.  So much is based on rumor and innuendo and the staff can't really respond to any of it---nor should they.  Unfortunately, when the sharks smell blood, everyone attacks.

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 09:23:31 PM »
I wonder what Mr. Repole is thinking about when he sees the continuing ineptitude

“The team is not living up to its expectations, and the talent seems better than its been in 10 years,” a source with ties to the program said. “To me, at the end of the day, accountability always falls on senior management, or in this case the coaching staff.”

Note the use of the words "senior management". I think that gives you a nice clue about the source of this quote.

Can you give me a clue about the clue you have?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 09:37:51 PM »
A**hole reporters are accusing people, without any proof, of being lazy.  Then they have to apologize for it.  I wonder where theyget those notions from?  From the a**holes on these boards who are accusing people of being lazy recruiters.

One thing I realize about recruiting is you really don't know what's going on behind the scenes because the coaches can't say anything.  All we can do is speculate about why a cach isn't at a particular event.  Maybe they aren't recruiting anyone there.  Maybe one of the kids playing there is already in the fold.  No way to know.

CTK coach says in an article that Lavin has never been to CTK but in another he says Lavin offered Adonis.  Obviously, someone on the staff saw him play somewhere.  So much is based on rumor and innuendo and the staff can't really respond to any of it---nor should they.  Unfortunately, when the sharks smell blood, everyone attacks.

Zach is a reporter and a good one at that.  He's not getting stuff from the boards and making articles about it.  He has a legit source.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 09:38:27 PM »

Why would he need proof Simplyred?  He's not trying to prove anything.   A reporter just needs a source.   If HS or AAU coaches are telling him Lavin is lazy, then that's a story.   You don't have to believe it or read it if you don't want to, but that's how stories are written.
I don't know why you're upset.  Being a big time coach means you're going to be judged by the media, they know this going in.   

paultzman

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2014, 09:47:02 PM »
Agree Zach is a fair, competent writer, who was prepared, sourced and professional in this effort. Trust me.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:50:07 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 09:52:12 PM »
So why did he feel the need to rescind his insinuations about Tony Chiles?

paultzman

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2014, 09:54:41 PM »

His criticism, as he noted, is not directed at Tony, who he knows and respects. It is clear who he is critical of. He was simply clarifying that.

desco80

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2014, 09:55:20 PM »

Because he was referring to Lavin in the article not Chiles, and he realized he should've made that clear.