Contract Extension

• 220 replies

boo3

Re: Contract Extension
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 05:23:17 PM »
 Didn't school give Norm like a rolling 5 year contract, with some sort of out after every year?

Once they get a President in, unless he is from UCLA ( or JJ)  and hates Lavin, the same will happen.

jr49

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 05:40:35 PM »
I am for giving Coach Lavin and his team a contract extension.   

That's right a contract extension.   He is creating a program in a turnaround situation.   The team is making progress.   He doesn't shoot the ball...take the threes.....or ref the games.  And he's not perfect.  The team is getting better and better.   The program is getting better and better.  There are and will be ups and downs.

Have at it fellas.

We've now lost about five Big East games by what less than 60 seconds and less than five buckets.   His team has put our team in a position to win....that's what a coach is supposed to do.  The games are even getting fun to watch.....and....and.....just wait till the Big East tournament and just wait til next year.  I'd give him two extra years right now and then extend the contract when we win the Big East Tournament.   NCAA's here we come (this year or next year.)
I like the post. Wanna see what his next class looks like.

Moose

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 06:30:57 PM »
Didn't school give Norm like a rolling 5 year contract, with some sort of out after every year?

Once they get a President in, unless he is from UCLA ( or JJ)  and hates Lavin, the same will happen.

I don't think contracts like that are as common as some others have alluded to on these boards.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 06:39:04 PM »
Desco, of course there is a buyout clause.  But the reality is that the school is going to give Lavin more time.  If he is approaching the last year of his contract, then it makes sense to extend him.  The choices are:  fire him (not happening---yet); extend him; or have a lame duck coach.

goredmen

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 07:16:15 PM »
Desco, of course there is a buyout clause.  But the reality is that the school is going to give Lavin more time.  If he is approaching the last year of his contract, then it makes sense to extend him.  The choices are:  fire him (not happening---yet); extend him; or have a lame duck coach.

But if you let his contact expire and don't resign him you don't have to pay him any buyout if you want to get rid of him. He won't necessarily be a lame duck coach if he knows he is coaching for his job in the last year of his contract

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 07:25:02 PM »

But if you let his contact expire and don't resign him you don't have to pay him any buyout if you want to get rid of him. He won't necessarily be a lame duck coach if he knows he is coaching for his job in the last year of his contract

He would be considered a lame duck on the recruiting trail, leading into one of the most important classes we can land in 2015. Would be suicide not to give him an extension if he is coaching next year.

goredmen

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 07:45:07 PM »

He would be considered a lame duck on the recruiting trail, leading into one of the most important classes we can land in 2015. Would be suicide not to give him an extension if he is coaching next year.

Would the administration be willing to pay Lavin to not coach? If they give him an extension that would probably mean he's in for the long haul no matter what.

As for recruiting, Lavin is a master salesman and 17-18 year old kids are far more naive than we are. He'll spin it to the recruits and say that he will receive his extension if he receives commitments from them which might not be false

Dan

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 09:22:18 PM »
they beat seton hall by a point and a contract extension

get lost old red, time to get banned

Poison

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 09:49:33 PM »
He put the players in a position to win.  That's what coaches do.  That's what managers do.  He keeps on improving.  It's not about immediate gratification.  He's building a step at a time.  Some people gave their investment advisors money January 1st and now they hate them.

Gift, Sanchez and Marco AKA, the best shooter Lavin has ever coached are graduating in May. Harrison, Pointer, Greene and Branch will graduate next season. Are we really going to give Lavin more time to win with his guys than we gave Norm?

I would fire him, and move on. You want to stand on your head and enforce rules over your program that kill momentum, and ruin seasons? Fine. But the next season you had better fix everything. We went along for the ride. Gave him the benefit of the doubt. Time is up.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:53:53 PM by Poison »

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 09:54:47 PM »
In a word yes :(

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 10:21:54 PM »
He put the players in a position to win.  That's what coaches do.  That's what managers do.  He keeps on improving.  It's not about immediate gratification.  He's building a step at a time.  Some people gave their investment advisors money January 1st and now they hate them.

Gift, Sanchez and Marco AKA, the best shooter Lavin has ever coached are graduating in May. Harrison, Pointer, Greene and Branch will graduate next season. Are we really going to give Lavin more time to win with his guys than we gave Norm?

I would fire him, and move on. You want to stand on your head and enforce rules over your program that kill momentum, and ruin seasons? Fine. But the next season you had better fix everything. We went along for the ride. Gave him the benefit of the doubt. Time is up.

As much as many here don't want to hear it, we are better than 2-6. I personally think we have played well enough to be 4-4, maybe even better but bad luck/poor officiating, and lack of execution have cost us more than a few close games.

Lavin deserves another season at least.

desco80

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 10:30:04 PM »

I understand not making him a lame duck, that'll obviously tie his hands somewhat in recruiting. 
In that sense a one year extension wouldn't be the worst thing.

But I would be concerned about giving him too much guaranteed money, because at this point I'm not convinced a change won't need to be made after next season.   And I barely want to give that long of a leash, but I think you are right about the school  having no intentions to fire him.   Hard to argue with the history of complacency.   

desco80

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 10:31:41 PM »
In an ideal world the team starts to turn things around, we sign a recruit or two, and all of this becomes moot. 

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 10:49:10 PM »

simplyred is right.  If SJU plans on giving coach more time (which I'm 99% certain they will do), then the school needs to extend him.  Lavin is never going to be able to recruit for 2015 if kids think he's a lame duck.  I think the best we fans can hope for is that he shakes up his coaching staff at the conclusion of this season.

goredmen

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 10:49:20 PM »

As much as many here don't want to hear it, we are better than 2-6. I personally think we have played well enough to be 4-4, maybe even better but bad luck/poor officiating, and lack of execution have cost us more than a few close games.

Usually when a team is better than their record indicates it means the coaching is lacking. We haven't lost any games because of bad luck. If you want to chalk the DePaul and Creighton losses up to bad luck then you have to chalk the SHU win as good luck. We had the Providence game won but Lavin put the team in a position to lose by playing completely idiotic lineups at the worst times.

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 10:51:24 PM »

Bad luck and poor officiating have not cost us anything. It's no fluke that opposing teams consistently get to the line more than us. And we are a better team than 2-6 on paper, but unfortunately we have played bad enough to be 2-6 which is exactly why I think Lavin should be canned.

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 11:01:01 PM »

Bad luck and poor officiating have not cost us anything. It's no fluke that opposing teams consistently get to the line more than us. And we are a better team than 2-6 on paper, but unfortunately we have played bad enough to be 2-6 which is exactly why I think Lavin should be canned.

Simply not true. Poor officiating definitely cost us last night. Dlo (80% FT shooter) hits a free throw and there's another win. Most of our loses were close.

Poison

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 11:14:40 PM »

The difference between 4-4 and 2-6 was Max Hooper playing at all the wrong times. He is a terrible player. Lavin puts him in for defense. Then, he puts him in to handle the ball against Providence and he freezes likes it's the first he's been in that situation. Why? Because it WAS the first time.

Lavin is a salesmen. All sizzle no steak. The team might be improving. But why the heck is it taking our upperclassmen so long to get it together? Perhaps because they have not learned what they've been taught? That, is on the teacher.

I've had enough of him. We fire him in March, the seniors will stay and if we hire a coach who has a healthy of combo of personality and coaching ability, the younger guys will consider staying.

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2014, 11:16:39 PM »

Simply not true. Poor officiating definitely cost us last night. Dlo (80% FT shooter) hits a free throw and there's another win. Most of our loses were close.

We lost the game last night because we went down by 18 in the second half. You can't expect to get calls in road games. I'm not interested in close losses or moral victories. Losses all count the same and we have way too many of them. Especially for a veteran team that has played in many close games throughout their careers. Bottom line is this team has the talent and experience to be a no brainer NCAA tournament team. We are currently sitting at 2-6 in a conference that will get 3 bids. This season has been an absolute failure any way you slice it.

goredmen

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 11:24:42 PM »

Excuses and the acceptance of mediocrity will never lead to anything more than mediocrity