Contract Extension

• 220 replies

boo3

Re: Contract Extension
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2014, 11:47:01 PM »
they've done better but the coaching still leaves a lot to be desired
Think team was prepared . Don't think the staff did anything wrong. I would have played branch more. Also didn't like both obekpa and pointer in down the stretch. But we won and coach deserves credit.
If we play tough man, always play with a pg, have a best players play most of the minutes, and our least talented players rarely play we can have a good season

TonyD-   I know you aren't a super Lavin fan , but kudos to you for giving him some credit when we do win..   Respect.  Very few haters can get themselves to do that.. Actually, almost all.

« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2014, 12:09:19 AM »

If we play tough man, always play with a pg, have a best players play most of the minutes, and our least talented players rarely play we can have a good season

Should fans ever have to ask for that?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2014, 10:49:35 AM »
Think team was prepared . Don't think the staff did anything wrong. I would have played branch more. Also didn't like both obekpa and pointer in down the stretch. But we won and coach deserves credit.

TonyD-   I know you aren't a super Lavin fan , but kudos to you for giving him some credit when we do win..   Respect.  Very few haters can get themselves to do that.. Actually, almost all.
I am not a hater. I am a St. John's alum and fan. I don't care who  the coach is as long as he does a good job.

boo3

« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2014, 10:56:41 AM »

I am not a hater. I am a St. John's alum and fan. I don't care who  the coach is as long as he does a good job.

My intent wasn't to call you a hater, but it came off that way.. My bad.    Anyway, you get my point.

TONYD3

« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2014, 01:15:07 PM »
I do.

paultzman

« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2014, 02:06:49 PM »
@StJohnsBBall: Remember to catch @SJUCoachLavin on #CrowdGoesWild at 5 pm on @FOXSports1 with @regis, @katienolan and others! #sjubb @BIGEAST @UnderArmour

jr49

« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2014, 03:12:16 PM »
Desco, of course there is a buyout clause.  But the reality is that the school is going to give Lavin more time.  If he is approaching the last year of his contract, then it makes sense to extend him.  The choices are:  fire him (not happening---yet); extend him; or have a lame duck coach.

But if you let his contact expire and don't resign him you don't have to pay him any buyout if you want to get rid of him. He won't necessarily be a lame duck coach if he knows he is coaching for his job in the last year of his contract
Thats how you would treat the man. If thats what you think of him, let him go. Oh wait. His bosses make that call.

TONYD3

« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »
Just got home from work. Turned tv on. Their is lavin . The guy is a great talker . Made St. John's sound like the place to be. He said it on national tv . Never saw us talked about like that .

Moose

« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2014, 06:03:42 PM »
Just got home from work. Turned tv on. Their is lavin . The guy is a great talker . Made St. John's sound like the place to be. He said it on national tv . Never saw us talked about like that .

Well our last coach was a mute and the one before him was supreme ahole.
Remember who broke the Slice news

hnk

« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2014, 06:16:35 PM »
Coach Lavin is building a program....there have been and will be setbacks along the way....two steps forward one step back ---that's the way it works.    Team is getting better and better.  New wrinkles added as we go.   Kids seem to like each other and the program.  Hasn't been afraid to make some tough decisions.  They are fun to watch develop.   

desco80

« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2014, 10:18:55 PM »
Coach Lavin is building a program....there have been and will be setbacks along the way....two steps forward one step back ---that's the way it works.    Team is getting better and better.  New wrinkles added as we go.   Kids seem to like each other and the program.  Hasn't been afraid to make some tough decisions.  They are fun to watch develop.   

Everyone is glad the team is playing better, but it's February: the team's best win is against Providence; they aren't on pace for the NCAAs; and have no recruits signed.   That doesn't feel like a program is being built.

Tiznow

« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2014, 10:34:35 PM »

Everyone is glad the team is playing better, but it's February: the team's best win is against Providence; they aren't on pace for the NCAAs; and have no recruits signed.   That doesn't feel like a program is being built.

Even with the horrible start in January this team has an RPI in the 60's.  This program is in much better shape.  For several years we had triple digit RPI's and got spanked by Hofstra on an annual basis.  And do you really think Lavin won't sign good recruits? 

« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2014, 10:45:45 PM »

Even with the horrible start in January this team has an RPI in the 60's.  This program is in much better shape.  For several years we had triple digit RPI's and got spanked by Hofstra on an annual basis.  And do you really think Lavin won't sign good recruits? 

Literally every year Lavin's been here there have been certain posters who were worried "oh no, we're not in good shape with any recruits" and every year Lavin has come through.

Poison

« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2014, 10:54:52 PM »
It's not landing the talent that has been a problem for Lavin. He's great at that part. As a coach, he's Brian Mahoney.

desco80

« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2014, 11:03:12 PM »

Literally every year Lavin's been here there have been certain posters who were worried "oh no, we're not in good shape with any recruits" and every year Lavin has come through.

I hear what you are saying about him deserving the benefit of the doubt, because that's what I though till about a month ago.
But in each of those past years we were deeply involved with one or two studs that coach had been devoting a lot of time to.   this is a different situation.   There's no one left.   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:05:28 PM by desco80 »

cjfish

« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2014, 11:30:26 PM »
Lavin is apparently a genius predicting the team would peak in JAN.  :-\ THAT being said, he is a poor bench coach .  Team has arguably the best talent in the league and is finally playing like it.  Creighton game will be the deciding game of the year, a potential QUALITY WIN WHICH IS MUCH NEEDED

« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2014, 11:33:09 PM »
Lavin is apparently a genius predicting the team would peak in JAN.  :-\ THAT being said, he is a poor bench coach .  Team has arguably the best talent in the league and is finally playing like it.  Creighton game will be the deciding game of the year, a potential QUALITY WIN WHICH IS MUCH NEEDED
The Creighton game is our Cowboy Game must win!

SJUFAN

« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2014, 12:30:20 AM »

It takes time for the talent to develop. Our most talented players are sophomores' and a Freshman. You can see them improving as the year progresses. I believe once JS and Obekpa are seniors they will be really good. Even though we will lose Sanchez and Gift next year, we will be a better team because JS, CO, and RJ will be that much better. Posters have said that JS has regressed, I disagree. Although his numbers are down from last year, the form on his shot has improved drastically. He is working to become a better player and it doesn't happen over one summer. Providence is good because of their seniors, Creighton is good because of their senior. Our best players are still developing. Be patient, Lavin is taking us in the right direction.

goredmen

« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2014, 12:38:31 AM »

It takes time for the talent to develop. Our most talented players are sophomores' and a Freshman. You can see them improving as the year progresses. I believe once JS and Obekpa are seniors they will be really good. Even though we will lose Sanchez and Gift next year, we will be a better team because JS, CO, and RJ will be that much better. Posters have said that JS has regressed, I disagree. Although his numbers are down from last year, the form on his shot has improved drastically. He is working to become a better player and it doesn't happen over one summer. Providence is good because of their seniors, Creighton is good because of their senior. Our best players are still developing. Be patient, Lavin is taking us in the right direction.

While you may be right, there will be a big game next year and every year that Lavin is here that he will get outcoached and/or blow a big game with idiotic coaching decisions like he has done already once this year. Unless he hires a top X's and O's guy (don't think Whitesell is the answer there) that will always be a major problem

Poison

« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2014, 01:04:37 AM »

That is a gigantic pile of garbage. It takes time? Time is up. These guys are seniors and juniors. Enough already. This is a veteran team. Norm used to pull this shit w us. With Lavin, it's worse bec he's been able to recruit, and it only makes him look more incompetent as a coach.  The biggest disappointment this season isn't a player, or their obvious lack of improvement. It's Lavin's clear inability to establish a system. What kind of offense do we run? What kind of defense do we play? He can't make up his mind, and that's why I want him gone.

He thinks what he's doing is the way get us there? Then fine, but he better f'n do it, or get the f out of my city. He can spew his BS in LA, where everyone is a pretender. If Lavin needs to hire someone to handle the Xs and Os, because he can't do it, WTF does he do during a game? Brush his hair?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 01:08:28 AM by Poison »