Contract Extension

• 220 replies

Moose

Re: Contract Extension
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2014, 09:32:38 AM »
Serious question. Are Dieaollo, Richards, govan, and briscoe better prospects then our current players? If not how can we expect better results?

Diallo, Govan and Briscoe are all Top 50 players in 2015.  Now rankings are a crapshoot many times.  You need to build the right team and work around deficiencies in certain players games.  They are deserving of their ranking.  How it translates at the next level is the other side of the sword.
Remember who broke the Slice news

hnk

« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2014, 09:54:14 AM »
Some of them are top ten...most will be top 25.  That is a real difference except for Jordan!

Tha Kid

« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2014, 09:59:10 AM »
I'd give Lavin an extension after the season, unless we just totally blow up and look dead out there the last few games.  Look, it helps for 2015 recruiting, and also, these kids have never had the same head coach and top assistant coach for 2 consecutive years!  That's kind of crazy.  Gotta assume Whitesell has been a good influence - he came late in the game so it would make sense the effect of his teaching would not occur until later...I'd like another season or two, minimum, with Lavin + Whitesell to see how we do. 

We only got Lavin + Dunlap for 1 season, then it was Dunlap + Rico (whoever was top assistant), then Lavin + Rico (or whoever was top assistant), and now Lavin + Whitesell.  Need some consistency.
"I drink and I know things"

hnk

« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2014, 10:21:04 AM »
Couldn't agree more..... guys getting recruited (on short notice) and leaving and coming later are all part of the process.....especially players, but staff as well.   that's what makes life interesting.   coach doesn't seem to panic....takes things a step at a step......I like his temperament....steady as she goes  (except for substitution patterns early in season....then it's experimentation as she goes.)

Moose

« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2014, 10:23:17 AM »
Couldn't agree more..... guys getting recruited (on short notice) and leaving and coming later are all part of the process.....especially players, but staff as well.   that's what makes life interesting.   coach doesn't seem to panic....takes things a step at a step......I like his temperament....steady as she goes  (except for substitution patterns early in season....then it's experimentation as she goes.)

Nor should he panic.  He knows at SJU mediocrity is celebrated.  Norm lasted 6 years.

hnk

« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2014, 10:30:32 AM »
Mediocrity after doomed and dismal....before goodness and greatness.   We are way better than mediocre right now .....on our way to being really good......

When Coach got here, the program was not mediocre, it was way worse....the senior players might have been better than mediocre and the team improved that year. 

This year many good teams won't make the NCAA's.   There is enormous parity in teams 25-75.   Like everyone else, i hope we fall on the right side of the line.

« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2014, 10:37:07 AM »

Nor should he panic.  He knows at SJU mediocrity is celebrated.  Norm lasted 6 years.
As much as we've complain about this year, this performance would have been Norm's best season by far.

« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2014, 12:53:20 PM »
Besides telle what other coaches wife makes front page news

What front page news?  Did I miss something?

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2014, 01:53:49 PM »
Besides telle what other coaches wife makes front page news

What front page news?  Did I miss something?

When the Lavin's first arrived on NYC she was on front pages covers of the local newspapers. I believe the post and news day. Basically because she was an actress and is attractive.
Cougar O' Malley

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2014, 03:34:58 PM »
Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille 
BREAKING: Steve Lavin talking 'new six-year contract' with St. John's, he tells the great @nypos

http://nypost.com/2014/03/07/steve-lavin-talking-new-six-year-contract-with-st-johns/
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:36:37 PM by Redstormy80 »

Moose

« Reply #192 on: March 07, 2014, 03:38:46 PM »
Good job HNK.  Congrats on the deal.  What is the agent cut?  Is it still 5%?

goredmen

« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2014, 03:41:39 PM »
Good job HNK.  Congrats on the deal.  What is the agent cut?  Is it still 5%?

I was just going to post something similar. HNK must be Purnell's agent too. He's a miracle worker
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:41:57 PM by goredmen »

Foad

« Reply #194 on: March 07, 2014, 03:55:39 PM »

hnk

« Reply #195 on: March 07, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »
Sorry. I have nothing to say right now. ....maybe later, but thank you. And thank you Coach Lavin!

SJUFAN

« Reply #196 on: March 07, 2014, 04:00:27 PM »
Serious question. Are Dieaollo, Richards, govan, and briscoe better prospects then our current players? If not how can we expect better results?

Diallo, Govan and Briscoe are all Top 50 players in 2015.  Now rankings are a crapshoot many times.  You need to build the right team and work around deficiencies in certain players games.  They are deserving of their ranking.  How it translates at the next level is the other side of the sword.

Its not a question of if they are more talented, although a case could be made that they are. The point is they will not have to carry the load from day one and will have upper classmen to play with. JK, CO, Hooper will be seniors. Jordan, Jones, Felix will be Juniors. This years class will be sophmores. I haven't seen anything out of JS to think he is not a four year player. Ofcourse that could change, but right now until they declare, they will be here for four years. Jordan I could see leaving after his junior year.

Think about our 2015 team if JK, CO, and Jordan are still here. Thats is what good programs builds toward, and its a real good chance that may happen. Begining next year going forward we finally get to see our upper classmen lead the way. 

paultzman

« Reply #197 on: March 07, 2014, 04:17:14 PM »

Its not a question of if they are more talented, although a case could be made that they are. The point is they will not have to carry the load from day one and will have upper classmen to play with. JK, CO, Hooper will be seniors. Jordan, Jones, Felix will be Juniors. This years class will be sophmores. I haven't seen anything out of JS to think he is not a four year player. Ofcourse that could change, but right now until they declare, they will be here for four years. Jordan I could see leaving after his junior year.

Think about our 2015 team if JK, CO, and Jordan are still here. Thats is what good programs builds toward, and its a real good chance that may happen. Begining next year going forward we finally get to see our upper classmen lead the way. 

From your mouth to God's ears on that 2015 squad. Doubt it, but guess I am better off hoping than worrying about 2015 rebuild. Lol

boo3

« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2014, 04:24:44 PM »
 Happy to hear about extension.

« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2014, 05:25:03 PM »

Moose - The next level could wind up being on that same side of the sword ;)