@Seton Hall Game Thread

• 343 replies

Poison

Re: @Seton Hall Game Thread
« Reply #260 on: February 14, 2014, 02:05:42 AM »
I wish Dom would shoot the three occasionally. He's not THAT bad of a shooter to the point where he can't shoot a wide open 3.

I don't. I think one of Dom's best assets is that he plays to his strength 15 ft and in.

So you're happy when he pumpfakes a wide open three only to dribble into a defender and take a contested 2?

I'm happy when he's on the bench next to Sanchez and Branch is in the game.
Seriously, what part of shooting 11% from three this year do you not understand?  Dom is a terrible offensive option for anything. 

I don't get the hate for Sanchez from so many. Dude brought high energy play and good production in limited minutes. Won't crush him for TO's because the whole team was just as bad if not worse.

Not many guys in the conference could have that dunk in the first half or that layup in the 2nd half that he had tonight. He essentially replaced Amir Garrett in the rotation and he's been much better.

I wish we could combine Garrett's hustle on the defensive end with Sanchez' skill on the offensive end. Sanchez can dribble, pass, shoot and rebound. But in the BE, he hasn't been very much of anything.

He's not as quick as we imagined he'd be, and on defense, he doesn't make an effort to box out, or rebound no matter what defense we play. He's more than serviceable as a reserve because he is skilled, but physically, the 25 year old, moves like a 35 year old.

goredmen

« Reply #261 on: February 14, 2014, 02:06:00 AM »
I wish Dom would shoot the three occasionally. He's not THAT bad of a shooter to the point where he can't shoot a wide open 3.

I don't. I think one of Dom's best assets is that he plays to his strength 15 ft and in.

So you're happy when he pumpfakes a wide open three only to dribble into a defender and take a contested 2?

Seriously, what part of shooting 11% from three this year do you not understand?  Dom is a terrible offensive option for anything. 

I don't get the hate for Sanchez from so many. Dude brought high energy play and good production in limited minutes. Won't crush him for TO's because the whole team was just as bad if not worse.

Not many guys in the conference could have that dunk in the first half or that layup in the 2nd half that he had tonight. He essentially replaced Amir Garrett in the rotation and he's been much better.

He was dreadful on the defensive end tonight. He gave up several offensive rebounds to Auda and Geramipoor. He also got beat for a layup when he somehow lost sight of both his man and the ball

Marillac

« Reply #262 on: February 14, 2014, 02:08:01 AM »

Sanchez is frustrating.  He does a few great things on offensive almost every game, but he can't defend anyone and his effort is awful.  He hates contact....he did as bad of a job as you possibly could tonight boxing out.  Forget about loose balls when he's in the game.  He's the basketball equivalent of a DH.  He should be reminded repeatedly that he is a big man and we need him around the basket.  WTF was up with that contested three from the corner with plenty of time on the shot clock?  He's shooting 27% from three...he should never take a contest three point shot.

He's really good on the baseline, he's got wide body and good passing skills out of the post and some nice moves there  as well.  I don't mind him driving a few times a game if the situation is right...he's a tough matchup.  The ability of the staff to use the trio of Sanchez-Pointer-Greene correctly will decide whether this team makes the leap to the next level.  So far only Greene has made that transition. 

Dom and Sanchez are

« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2014, 02:15:06 AM »

He shoots 11% from 3 so any time he doesn't shoot it from 3 I'm happy. He does however make 50% of his 2 point attempts and he's 2nd on the team in assists.

The 11% isn't a true indicator of his 3pt stroke. I would say at least half of those are late shot clock heaves, or end of half heaves. Rareley does he shoot a wide open set 3pt shoot and he has many opportunities to do so.

« Reply #264 on: February 14, 2014, 02:18:13 AM »
IDK Sanchez played really well against Seton Hall and thought he was fine tonight. I don't think Sanchez is a good post defender because he isn't a post player. This is where you have GG come in and be more of a post presence and he did exactly that tonight. They were a good offensive and defensive balance.

23 min, 3-5 shooting, 2 rebounds, 3 blks, 4 turnovers, 0 fouls, 6 points

I'm good with that. Obviously you'd like to see increase in rebounding numbers but if you take a step back and see that Pointer and Harrison combined for 12 rebounds that makes sense. SJU +1 in margin.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #265 on: February 14, 2014, 02:21:26 AM »
Sanchez should be able to defend 4's in the post. I think he is more of a stretch 4 than he is a 3, especially at the college level.

« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2014, 02:25:24 AM »
Sanchez should be able to defend 4's in the post. I think he is more of a stretch 4 than he is a 3, especially at the college level.

I didn't say he can't defend but he isn't really a post defender. Obekpa isn't even a good post defender. Both guys get bodied very easily.

Marillac

« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2014, 02:52:33 AM »

He shoots 11% from 3 so any time he doesn't shoot it from 3 I'm happy. He does however make 50% of his 2 point attempts and he's 2nd on the team in assists.

The 11% isn't a true indicator of his 3pt stroke. I would say at least half of those are late shot clock heaves, or end of half heaves. Rareley does he shoot a wide open set 3pt shoot and he has many opportunities to do so.

I haven't seen Dom take anything but a completely wide open three this entire year.  Any shot by Dom from deep is a bad shot and that 89% likelihood of a miss comes with a 100% likelihood that Dom will not try to rebound the shot. 

The kid is really going to hurt this team going forward unless there are some very major adjustments to his mindset and his role on this team.  Any coach that doesn't zone us when Dom is on the floor is a fool.  For this reason, I think Gtown will beat us and I've been the biggest homer of them all this year. 

The thing that drives me nuts is I really think this kid can be damn good as a guy that does the dirty work....attacking the baseline...driving when left open.  I never see the kid cut. EVER.  I never see him screen.  I never see him go for an offensive rebound.  He floats on the 3 pt line.

I love this kid from Southern Miss.  6'4 210  G/F that isn't overly talented but does all the dirty work and brings great D, hustle, and rebounding.  He averages over three offensive rebounds per game in 26 minutes at 6'4.  He got 4 offensive boards tonight in just 14 minutes!  http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/players/88732/
14 minutes to get 4 offensive rebounds....coming into tonight it took Dom 14 GAMES and 290 minutes to get just four offensive rebounds. I know I'm annoying with offensive rebounding, but think about that.  It's crazy.

goredmen

« Reply #268 on: February 14, 2014, 03:38:09 AM »

I haven't seen Dom take anything but a completely wide open three this entire year.  Any shot by Dom from deep is a bad shot and that 89% likelihood of a miss comes with a 100% likelihood that Dom will not try to rebound the shot. 

The kid is really going to hurt this team going forward unless there are some very major adjustments to his mindset and his role on this team.  Any coach that doesn't zone us when Dom is on the floor is a fool.  For this reason, I think Gtown will beat us and I've been the biggest homer of them all this year. 

The thing that drives me nuts is I really think this kid can be damn good as a guy that does the dirty work....attacking the baseline...driving when left open.  I never see the kid cut. EVER.  I never see him screen.  I never see him go for an offensive rebound.  He floats on the 3 pt line.

I love this kid from Southern Miss.  6'4 210  G/F that isn't overly talented but does all the dirty work and brings great D, hustle, and rebounding.  He averages over three offensive rebounds per game in 26 minutes at 6'4.  He got 4 offensive boards tonight in just 14 minutes!  http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/players/88732/
14 minutes to get 4 offensive rebounds....coming into tonight it took Dom 14 GAMES and 290 minutes to get just four offensive rebounds. I know I'm annoying with offensive rebounding, but think about that.  It's crazy.

Dom was kind of asked to be more of a scorer and play on the ball a lot after the Harrison suspension last year. The staff needs to let him know that his role has changed greatly since then

Moose

« Reply #269 on: February 14, 2014, 06:14:57 AM »
Can we get a former big man on the staff to teach Obekpa. 
Ruland can stop scouting for Wiz?
Werdann?
Someone?

I think the staff is doing a good job with his development. He had zero offensive game last year. Started out poorly this year but now is working in a hook shot. Development doesn't happen over night.

He still needs A LOT of work.  He gave Hall 8 points last night on goal tends.  Yes at least half were iffy but the point is they are getting called and he has to have better awareness there defensively.  Letting it go the shot COULD actually miss as opposed to the gift 2 points.  Also he picked up 2 fouls quickly and most of his fouls are as he is playing further from the hoop.  He left game and Auda and Lurch lit us up down low.  AUDA and LURCH!!!!

It pains me because I think Obekpa is just scratching the surface. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #270 on: February 14, 2014, 06:16:27 AM »

How many times has Southern Miss been on TV this year? :)

Marillac

« Reply #271 on: February 14, 2014, 06:19:39 AM »

Dom was kind of asked to be more of a scorer and play on the ball a lot after the Harrison suspension last year. The staff needs to let him know that his role has changed greatly since then

I don't get how this hasn't been spotted and/or addressed?  On every single play in the half court, Dom is standing  on the three point line after his teammate shoots it.  His defender is never within 5-10 feet of him, so he could be soaring in untouched for every miss.   One look at the stats and it pops out at you. 

We go 6-12 minutes with a FG seemingly every game win or lose.  That doesn't happen when you crash the glass relentlessly. 
Cincy is not better than us, yet they are a top ten team because they crash the glass every shot.  They get 10 offensive rebounds a game from the 2-4 positions, and 2.4 per game from the starting wing Titus Rubles. 

Every single team in the top ten has a SG or SF that averages at least 1.5 offensive rebounds per game (9/10 have at least one that averages 2.0) and a forward that shoots 35% or better from three.  We don't have that...Lavin needs to find someone next year to fill that role.

Rasheed Jordan got two huge offensive rebounds in a five second span last night...it took Dom 12 games and 233 minutes between 12/28 against Youngstown State and 2/1 against Marquette to get TWO offensive rebounds. 

Moose

« Reply #272 on: February 14, 2014, 06:21:13 AM »

I don't get how this hasn't been spotted and/or addressed?  On every single play in the half court, Dom is standing  on the three point line after his teammate shoots it.  His defender is never within 5-10 feet of him, so he could be soaring in untouched for every miss.   One look at the stats and it pops out at you. 

We go 6-12 minutes with a FG seemingly every game win or lose.  That doesn't happen when you crash the glass relentlessly. 
Cincy is not better than us, yet they are a top ten team because they crash the glass every shot.  They get 10 offensive rebounds a game from the 2-4 positions, and 2.4 per game from the starting wing Titus Rubles. 

Every single team in the top ten has a SG or SF that averages at least 1.5 offensive rebounds per game (9/10 have at least one that averages 2.0) and a forward that shoots 35% or better from three.  We don't have that...Lavin needs to find someone next year to fill that role.

Rasheed Jordan got two huge offensive rebounds in a five second span last night...it took Dom 12 games and 233 minutes between 12/28 against Youngstown State and 2/1 against Marquette to get TWO offensive rebounds. 

You're picking on Dom and I get that but the whole team stands there when a shot goes up.  Its a collaborative effort or lack thereof to our pitiful rebounding.

Marillac

« Reply #273 on: February 14, 2014, 06:21:25 AM »

How many times has Southern Miss been on TV this year? :)

They were on First Row Sports  last night and let me break even after taking SJU -1.5 and losing on Obekpa's second miss.

« Reply #274 on: February 14, 2014, 08:04:37 AM »
Sanchez has his role.  There are times we need his scoring punch when others aren't doing their norm or are in foul trouble.  Clearly he is a sub par defender and if he's in the game w/o Gift or Obekpa we're going to be soft inside.   But he can score and there's definitely a role for him. 
Ugly win, but we'll take it and live to fight another day!  See ya Sunday!

« Reply #275 on: February 14, 2014, 08:09:26 AM »
Highlights: St. John's vs. Seton Hall

Ladies and Gentleman, Dom Pointer:

20 second mark, Rasheed with the drive and dunk.  Where is Dom?  Two feet behind the three point line opposite camera.  What does he do when he Rasheed drives...does he cut to the basket?  Follow for an offensive rebound? No.  He inexplicably jumps in place like he always does .

40 second mark...Rasheed with the incredible pass to split the double-team.  Wait, why was there a double-team in a 2-3 zone?  Because Dom Pointer was set up two feet behind the arch (near side) with his hands out for a pass.  SH decided they wouldn't cover him or even pay attention to him.  Ball goes in to CO, does Dom follow?  There are like 5 seconds on the clock and the game is tied...surely he follows CO's shot? No.  He jumps in place again. 

If we are in the same situation again with a t.o. to spare, Dom must be substituted out for Hooper...even if Hooper is  just a decoy.

Is it Dom's responsibility to fall back when Jordan and/or Dlo drive to the basket? He does seem to be the only person back when teams try to run on us at times. Will keep an eye on this on Sunday.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:10:01 AM by stjohnnie75 »

paultzman

« Reply #276 on: February 14, 2014, 08:23:02 AM »
Adding my two cents, major weaknesses of team include abysmal rebounding  (allowing ton of second chances, put backs) and inability to fight through screens. On the latter, the amount of switching we do is off the charts, leading to mismatches, fouls or buckets too often.  So tired of situations like Greene or Branch going under screens and being posted up.

Foad

« Reply #277 on: February 14, 2014, 09:01:33 AM »
You're picking on Dom and I get that but the whole team stands there when a shot goes up.  Its a collaborative effort or lack thereof to our pitiful rebounding.

Yeah, but the whole team doesn't have Pointer's skill set and physical gifts. He could be a great lunch pail player: he could do for this team what Willie Glass did for his. He doesn't want to. He wants to shoot threes and block shots and double pump lay ups. He's a selfish player, and dumb.

« Reply #278 on: February 14, 2014, 09:13:03 AM »
Major weakness for Lavin's teams have been communicating on switches. We left Sina wide open late in the game for a top of key 3. It rattled in, out and back in. No way in that situation we should be that messy on defense. Can't leave capable shooters wide open because of confusion on a ball screen, especially when a kid like Sina can't hurt you doing anything else.

Overall just really bad sloppy defense last night most of the game. Have to clean it up for Sunday.

« Reply #279 on: February 14, 2014, 09:19:07 AM »

How many times has Dom Pointer made a stop in transition defense?

Can't crash all 5 guys all the time. Guys need to stay on perimeter and get back.