@Seton Hall Game Thread

• 343 replies
Re: @Seton Hall Game Thread
« Reply #280 on: February 14, 2014, 09:34:25 AM »
I am absolutely shocked to see Pointer getting so crushed today when he was one of the difference makers last night.  Who gives a crap he shoots 11% from 3 he isn't an outside shooter.  Our backup point guard who is worshiped by our fan base shoots 16% and should shoot much higher percentages as a 3rd year point guard.  I would guarantee Branch may be the worst shooting guard in the entire conference.  What point guards in the whole country shoot as poorly as him.

Pointer completely turned the game around at the end of the first half after Mr. Softie Sanchez gave up 15 straight points in the paint without making any body contact at all.  Pointer had a nice drive, then a steal and another layup.  At the end of the game he hit some clutch free throws and overall contributed nicely

« Reply #281 on: February 14, 2014, 09:38:06 AM »
He left game and Auda and Lurch lit us up down low.  AUDA and LURCH!!!!

Yep it was the most embarrassing sequence in the history of St John's basketball when Mr. Softie came in and manned the paint once Obeckpa got 2 fouls.  Like another poster said he make big man scrubs look like McDonald's All Americans.

« Reply #282 on: February 14, 2014, 09:44:38 AM »
Needs2go give me some insight on something you thought went well last night?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #283 on: February 14, 2014, 09:48:26 AM »
I don't get the hate for Sanchez from so many. Dude brought high energy play and good production in limited minutes

Dave could you please explain to us what you mean by high energy and good production?

Was his high energy on the defensive end when he gave up 7 straight baskets in the paint without so much laying a body on anybody or was it when he tries to take a charge and just stands there like a statue and never moves or is it the 1 rebound in 23 minutes by the 25 year old 6'9" man?

Dave he was atrocious on the defensive end last night.  I knew you would love that dunk he had I was just surprised he didn't flex his muscles for us after he did it.  He really has some stroke from the outside he uses so much energy trying to get open standing around the perimeter.

Dave I think the average basketball fan could have noticed how pathetic this guy was last night but you pick out his two driving baskets (that all he could do) and think the guy is as great as Lavin does

cjfish

« Reply #284 on: February 14, 2014, 09:49:56 AM »
I wish Dom would shoot the three occasionally. He's not THAT bad of a shooter to the point where he can't shoot a wide open 3.

I don't. I think one of Dom's best assets is that he plays to his strength 15 ft and in.

when he pumpfakes a wide open three only to dribble into a defender and take a contested 2?

He shoots 11% from 3 so any time he doesn't shoot it from 3 I'm happy. He does however make 50% of his 2 point attempts and he's 2nd on the team in assists.

The 11% isn't a true indicator of his 3pt stroke. I would say at least half of those are late shot clock heaves, or end of half heaves. Rareley does he shoot a wide open set 3pt shoot and he has many opportunities to do so.

DOM has no outside shot period.....form is awful.....shot is flat.  Anyone familiar with the game should recognize this after watching him a few games.  Go to the hoop DOM, you are the strongest driver on the team . Should never be put in a position to shoot outside at the end of a clock....get it to any guard.  That being said, stuff happens.

« Reply #285 on: February 14, 2014, 09:51:52 AM »

I thought Obekpa played a nice game as his confidence seems to be going way up.  I didn't love the 4 goaltends but love the effort he brings game in and game out.

Jordan continues to be solid and does a good job running the team.  A great pass to end the game.

Phil Greene continues to figure out his role and play good

Dom I thought came up big last night in big spots

Sampson looked great early with some nice passes but then totally disappeared from the game

God's Gift gave them tough minutes

St John's hit their free throws

derk

« Reply #286 on: February 14, 2014, 10:04:34 AM »
Rysheed Jordan's bounce pass was the most incredible clutch pass I've seen in a long time. Marvelous.

Almost a travel. Could've been called. Great play nonetheless.

This. Rysheed is legit.

« Reply #287 on: February 14, 2014, 10:09:12 AM »
just saw the Sheed replay again. kid has incredible poise.  he saw sampson was open but he waited, and found a better option.  he knew he had the SH defenders guessing.  the SH defender cheated just a bit towards Sampson and that's when Sheed struck.

great patience, poise, confidence, and precision. 

« Reply #288 on: February 14, 2014, 10:12:42 AM »

I thought Obekpa played a nice game as his confidence seems to be going way up.  I didn't love the 4 goaltends but love the effort he brings game in and game out.

Jordan continues to be solid and does a good job running the team.  A great pass to end the game.

Phil Greene continues to figure out his role and play good

Dom I thought came up big last night in big spots

Sampson looked great early with some nice passes but then totally disappeared from the game

God's Gift gave them tough minutes

St John's hit their free throws

Fair. Thanks
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

tnice

« Reply #289 on: February 14, 2014, 11:06:37 AM »
Two observations on last night:

1) This team has a very bad habit of playing loose at both ends of the floor against teams they think are inferior. They played last night like they play in Carnesecca against Longwood State...there's a complete attitude difference. Players take shots they wouldn't normally take against better teams, or take chances with passes, or guys bring up the ball who normally wouldn't...all because they think hey, we'll get it back later. They did all of those things last night after noticeably NOT doing them over the past month or so. Thankfully it didn't lead to a bad loss, and hopefuly they wont do it against teams like DePaul and Butler. Cannot afford any bad losses now.

2) Cant believe there's not more love for 'Sheeds sick dunk last night. Not that blowing by Sina is any great accomplishment, but Jesus H, did he explode off the floor. That kind of athleticism to go with his feel and vision...wow. Just, wow.

« Reply #290 on: February 14, 2014, 11:32:30 AM »
I was at the game last night. Easy as pie with trains running from NY to Pru and back on time. Only a few hundred fans there, but Redmen had great showing since we matched SH in number of fans , and were much more vocal, with chants of Defense dominating when SH had the ball late in second half. This team is coming on, and this is shaping up to be a very special year.

Marillac

« Reply #291 on: February 14, 2014, 12:03:34 PM »
I don't get the hate for Sanchez from so many. Dude brought high energy play and good production in limited minutes

Dave could you please explain to us what you mean by high energy and good production?

Was his high energy on the defensive end when he gave up 7 straight baskets in the paint without so much laying a body on anybody or was it when he tries to take a charge and just stands there like a statue and never moves or is it the 1 rebound in 23 minutes by the 25 year old 6'9" man?

Dave he was atrocious on the defensive end last night.  I knew you would love that dunk he had I was just surprised he didn't flex his muscles for us after he did it.  He really has some stroke from the outside he uses so much energy trying to get open standing around the perimeter.

Dave I think the average basketball fan could have noticed how pathetic this guy was last night but you pick out his two driving baskets (that all he could do) and think the guy is as great as Lavin does

I don't know what freaking game Dave was watching to say Sanchez looked good and Dom was the player of the game.
The game I watched, had Sanchez look RIDICULOUS for like 5-10 minutes straight against two scrubs.  He literally could not have done worse.  He didn't get a single defensive rebound.

Dom handicapped us all night on the offensive end.  It was 4 on 5 all night.  SH didn't even pretend to guard him and it allowed them to contain Jordan and stay with Harrison better.  You'd think a guy not being guarded and not being boxed out would have like 5-6 offensive boards,.

Dom did have two big buckets at the end of the first half, but how do you guys ignore how sloppy he was dribbling the ball off his feet, walking, losing control of himself and the ball before he made those plays?  That is not sustainable.  Other refs will call him for more than his three turnovers.  Better teams will steal the ball from him when he dribbles it out of control. 

And if it seems like I am picking on Dom or singling him out....it's because I'm sick of him playing this way.  He's 6'5/6'6 and he's probably one of the ten or fifteen best athletes in college basketball...he's also a strong kid who is supposedly a hustler.  Stop any half court set where Dom is not handling the ball and tell me where he is when the shot goes up and where he is when the shot comes off the glass.  He's always on the perimeter.  How in the world can Lavor Postell, at the same size and at the same position, rack up 108 offensive rebounds in a season when Dom only has twelve?  Postell could shoot and drive from the perimeter, but he was always moving, always following shots, always finding angles and soaring through the lane.   Dom doesn't even get guarded... he could sprint uncontested to the tin for layins all game.  Here is the Postell/Artest/Bootsy team against Duke.  Soak in the hustle that was Lavor Postell. 
01/24/1999: #2 Duke Blue Devils at #8 St. John's (NYC) Red Storm

As for Branch being a lousy outside shooter...he's only taken six treys all year, making one.  Dom has taken 17 making only two. 

boo3

« Reply #292 on: February 14, 2014, 12:06:38 PM »
 Gotta agree.  Not the best showing from Dom or Sanchez last night.. Will need them both to perform much better to beat G'town

paultzman

« Reply #293 on: February 14, 2014, 12:12:38 PM »
Gotta agree.  Not the best showing from Dom or Sanchez last night.. Will need them both to perform much better to beat G'town

Agree & Dom needs to keep his cool, especially when he and Trawick, a notorious baiter, are on court together.

« Reply #294 on: February 14, 2014, 12:39:02 PM »

As for Branch being a lousy outside shooter...he's only taken six treys all year, making one.  Dom has taken 17 making only two. 

Can someone please get me a pair of these glasses you guys wear when evaluating Branch.  Even to argue the point that Branch isn't a bad outside shooter makes absolutely no sense no matter who you are comparing him to.

Let's take a quick look at the past 2 years since Branch has been at St John's and most guards should be better shooters than most forwards.  In an overall evaluation that's the way it would end up

GUARD- Branch  4-23
FOWARD- Pointer 11-44

Conclusion of the jungle- Pointer is horrible and cant shoot and poor ol Branch just hasn't been given the chance as most junior pg's in the country only have 1 made 3 this year and a total of 4 over 2 years.  Just brutal but Branch will keep getting the love from in here as most people consider him a difference maker.  LOL

boo3

« Reply #295 on: February 14, 2014, 12:48:27 PM »
 Branch is a good guard to have come off the bench. He's not a shooter.  He's a very good passer and can run the offense and play adequate defense.

Why compare a PG who can't shoot with a small forward that can't shoot?  What is the point?

Need2Go-  why such a hater, my pal?  Since you are the biggest fan here ( self proclaimed) I figured you should be jumping up and down and thrilled Lavin and the boys have been able to go on a run and turn this season into something interesting and exciting as we fight through February.  What's the matter?   Now you are fighting with Foad? 

That could possibly be the mismatch of all time.  Foad, for all of his quirkiness, is a bright fella... You, on the other hand......  If one is trying to prove a player has not improved, it doesn't make much sense to throw up the numbers from fresh to Junior , particularly when they show improvement....

Go St. Johns!

#February.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:49:43 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #296 on: February 14, 2014, 12:58:14 PM »
If one is trying to prove a player has not improved, it doesn't make much sense to throw up the numbers from fresh to Junior , particularly when they show improvement....

No hate boo just all the dumb stuff this fan base says.  Going from 37% to 39% isn't an improvement.  Going from 37% to 44% that is an improvement.  Or Boo should we get excited that he averages a half rebound more a game, lol, a freakin half a rebound.  Then why did he drop so much in his assists and steals if you are bringing up your 2% and half rebound improvement.  Listen to yourself Boo you have proven a while back you hold the throne as most nice personic poster in here

boo3

« Reply #297 on: February 14, 2014, 01:20:27 PM »
"Listen to yourself Boo you have proven a while back you hold the throne as most nice personic poster in here"

That crown belongs to you and you alone. There isn't even a close second these days...

« Reply #298 on: February 14, 2014, 01:26:37 PM »
"Listen to yourself Boo you have proven a while back you hold the throne as most nice personic poster in here"

That crown belongs to you and you alone. There isn't even a close second these days...

+1

« Reply #299 on: February 14, 2014, 01:52:21 PM »