Georgetown Game 2

• 127 replies

Moose

Re: Georgetown Game 2
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2014, 01:41:40 PM »
The crowd wasn't unbelievable , but it was overwhelmingly pro-SJU which isn't a guarantee when we play Georgetown.   

I didn't want to be the one to kill the buzz, but this is right on the money. The students were loud and G'town was quiet, but the place was not rocking. I know this is dead horse territory, but the people who sit next to me are an early sixties couple who literally never make a sound during the game. In front of me last night were three women in their late 60's/early seventies ( who, in fairness, were getting their drink on a bit but didn't make much noise either), and in front of them were four more people in their sixties. I'm no Cameron Crazy, but I get into it..and I probably would be louder if the people in front of me didn't look like they were knitting sweaters. OK, rant over.

My one observation of the night: G'town, with all their screening and off ball movement, did not get one back door layup or screen away from the ball layup. Not one. You can talk all you want about the improvement of individual players or Lavin's rotation, but to me the single biggest difference in this team is the commitment to defend. They were suffocating last night. G'town looked like they were playing at a different speed...because they were.

Only backdoor play they had I believe was the first play in the 2nd half.  Thought that was a sign of things to come in the 2nd half but we prevented that.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2014, 02:15:07 PM »
I feel like I did in February in 2011. I think we can beat anybody in the country the way we are playing right now.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2014, 03:49:49 PM »
Has anyone ever seen anyone actually win the Metro PCS challenge where they gotta find Johnny Thunderbird while blindfolded with the phone? I'm pretty sure it's rigged like one of those semi-pro promotions.

bk8664

« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2014, 03:54:13 PM »
Has anyone ever seen anyone actually win the Metro PCS challenge where they gotta find Johnny Thunderbird while blindfolded with the phone? I'm pretty sure it's rigged like one of those semi-pro promotions.

I just think MSG is so loud that the blinded-folded person can't hear.

« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »

At least one person has won. I think it was at Carnesecca though. I'm more upset at how easy the Ridgewood Savings Bank contest is. People win $200+ of merch every game. PICK ME DAMMIT.

Moose

« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2014, 05:14:41 PM »

I don't understand the point of the promotion.  Are you using your own phone and since you can't hear Metro is saying buy their phone?  If you are using a Metro phone then it doesn't look so good when the person can't hear.  How hard can it be to say 'walk straight' make a right, make a left,  turn around.

One of the dumbest promotions I've ever seen at a game.

« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »
Speaking of promotions etc why did they stop that " armed services hero thing " ?

I liked when they did that each game

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2014, 07:06:24 PM »

I don't understand the point of the promotion.  Are you using your own phone and since you can't hear Metro is saying buy their phone?  If you are using a Metro phone then it doesn't look so good when the person can't hear.  How hard can it be to say 'walk straight' make a right, make a left,  turn around.

One of the dumbest promotions I've ever seen at a game.

Hahaha that's exactly what I said. Is it supposed to be promoting how horrible Metro PCS's service is?

DFF6

« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2014, 07:13:13 PM »
I feel like I did in February in 2011. I think we can beat anybody in the country the way we are playing right now.

I feel this team is better than the 2011 Hardy team.

« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2014, 07:18:48 PM »

Eh, I don't feel that strongly...yet.

DFF6

« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2014, 07:41:22 PM »

This year's team playing at its best, I think, is better than the 2011 team at its best. Just more talent. 

« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2014, 07:47:24 PM »
I worried this game is going to get really chippy. There's no love lost between these teams. Three technicals handed out last game and Games prior to that have been chippy as well. Hoping no body does anything stupid.

Is there an undercard for Pointer vs. Trawick?

Yes.  Trawick/Oblockpa.  Good call.

« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2014, 07:55:23 PM »

me either yet. That team single handedly dismantled teams like Duke and Uconn etc.

If we beat Butler and then Win at Nova and take Xavier my opinion might change a little but we'd have to make the NCAA's for my opinion to change totally.

I do agree this team has hands down more talent. But that team got serious mental toughness midway thru the year and imposed their will on other teams when they finally started smelling success
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:56:22 PM by mjmaherjr »

« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2014, 07:57:56 PM »

me either yet. That team single handedly dismantled teams like Duke and Uconn etc.

If we beat Butler and then Win at Nova and take Xavier my opinion might change a little but we'd have to make the NCAA's for my opinion to change totally.

I do agree this team has hands down more talent. But that team got serious mental toughness midway thru the year and imposed their will on other teams when they finally started smelling success

I think the 2011 team would beat this one straight up if both are playing their best ball. And that's no knock on this team.

« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2014, 08:06:19 PM »

I think the 2011 team would beat this one straight up if both are playing their best ball. And that's no knock on this team.
If the game was played today I'd agree with you.

If this team keeps developing the way they have and win out the rest of the regular season or lose just 1 game the sky could be the limit.

Heck I thought this team was elite 8 material in the beginning of the season which didn't look like suck a good prediction.

I'm still cautiously optimistic but if we win the next 2 I think we close out the season undefeated.

If we lose tomorrow I'll probably walk out into traffic on 7th ave after the game :)

« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2014, 08:17:32 PM »
By any statistical, visual or audio measure you can think of...we played Fu**in Awesome!

DR had a catch and assist combination at the 4 minute mark that was unbelievable. Also, had an incredible Espn top 10 up and under finish called back for a pre-shot foul.  Impeccable FT shooting form and now at a 3'lo neighborhood like 86%.  Keep it up Orlando!

« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »
Btw, Dom's bullet pass to Gift on the baseline for a dunk   :up:

tnice

« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2014, 09:28:33 PM »
The crowd wasn't unbelievable , but it was overwhelmingly pro-SJU which isn't a guarantee when we play Georgetown.   

I didn't want to be the one to kill the buzz, but this is right on the money. The students were loud and G'town was quiet, but the place was not rocking. I know this is dead horse territory, but the people who sit next to me are an early sixties couple who literally never make a sound during the game. In front of me last night were three women in their late 60's/early seventies ( who, in fairness, were getting their drink on a bit but didn't make much noise either), and in front of them were four more people in their sixties. I'm no Cameron Crazy, but I get into it..and I probably would be louder if the people in front of me didn't look like they were knitting sweaters. OK, rant over.

My one observation of the night: G'town, with all their screening and off ball movement, did not get one back door layup or screen away from the ball layup. Not one. You can talk all you want about the improvement of individual players or Lavin's rotation, but to me the single biggest difference in this team is the commitment to defend. They were suffocating last night. G'town looked like they were playing at a different speed...because they were.

Only backdoor play they had I believe was the first play in the 2nd half.  Thought that was a sign of things to come in the 2nd half but we prevented that.

I missed that play...saw they scored quickly, but didn't see how. I stand corrected.

I'm trying hard to focus on the positive, but it just amazes me watching Obekpa or Sanchez force ballhandlers wide when their man sets a screen, then sprint back to recover their man. This is high school basketball stuff that they were being roasted on until 7 games ago. Happy they've figured it out, but pissed it took so long. They really did an awesome job on the screening and cutting last night. Total lockdown.

Moose

« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2014, 09:32:01 PM »

I missed that play...saw they scored quickly, but didn't see how. I stand corrected.

I'm trying hard to focus on the positive, but it just amazes me watching Obekpa or Sanchez force ballhandlers wide when their man sets a screen, then sprint back to recover their man. This is high school basketball stuff that they were being roasted on until 7 games ago. Happy they've figured it out, but pissed it took so long. They really did an awesome job on the screening and cutting last night. Total lockdown.

Yeah it was literally seconds into the half and first play.  My reaction was like ok here we go they will try this all half.  We prevented it thankfully.