Looking ahead

• 175 replies

LoganK

Re: Looking ahead
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2014, 09:43:43 AM »
I challenge some one to come up with Branch's record as the starting pg of the team I am sure it is something like 5-20.  I almost freaked out when I saw he started last game and almost instantly I chalked it up as an L.

15 minutes in wins, 11.5 in losses

Are you going to try and rationalize this Needs2Go?  Or are you going to pretend it was never said and hope no one notices...For such a terrible player, the stats seem to show we win more when he plays more.  If you could also rationalize why you stated that Branch should be as good or better than our starting PG if you wouldn't mind.

This is fun...seriously...I look forward to your response.

Poison

« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2014, 10:45:36 AM »
The most skilled back up forward in the last 20 years: Lavor Postell
The most skilled back up point guard in the last 20 years: Chudney Gray

That said, Sanchez is certainly talented, and he's helped us win games. I wish he was stronger, and faster, but he makes his free throws, and he is aggressive when we need him to be.

Branch struggled early, and lost his job. I really like the step back 10 footer. And I like when he penetrates. Is love for him to stop with cute passes, but hey, there are reasons why he doesn't start.

But seriously, picking on these two guys? Give it a rest. Harrison scored 4 points against Xavier, and looked like he was in some kind of crazy mood. Why pick on guys that did their job? Makes no sense.

hnk

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2014, 10:58:24 AM »
If you look at our losses, you will see foul trouble for our starters (mostly Jordan) and poor shots and shot selection by Harrison.  i love both of them, but facts are facts.

« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »
So apparently the reason we lose games is because our 7th and 8th guys aren't as good as our starters?  :idiot2:

hnk

« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2014, 11:28:15 AM »
Well, it's really just that the other team scores more points than we do.  Hopefully, not Sunday.

« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2014, 11:35:33 AM »
I challenge some one to come up with Branch's record as the starting pg of the team I am sure it is something like 5-20.  I almost freaked out when I saw he started last game and almost instantly I chalked it up as an L.

Are you going to try and rationalize this Needs2Go?  Or are you going to pretend it was never said and hope no one notices...For such a terrible player, the stats seem to show we win more when he plays more.  If you could also rationalize why you stated that Branch should be as good or better than our starting PG if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks logan, here's another one that he continues to ignore.

Started big east 0-5 branches minutes:  9.4
6-3  in BE games hes played since then:  16.6

Jamal Branch makes us better plain and simple. If you can say he cant drive and cant pass then you really can not understand the game of basketball.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:36:46 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2014, 11:38:44 AM »

What a dumb statistic. It means nothing.  Nada. 

« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2014, 11:40:44 AM »

What a dumb statistic. It means nothing.  Nada. 

You're going to have to explain how it means nothing. You are quoted as saying if Branch plays over a certain number of minutes we are worse. This statistic proves the exact opposite of that.

« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »

More meaningless stats from Mase.  Go figure

« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »

More meaningless stats from Mase.  Go figure

If the only "stat" you ever use is 3+5=win then please tell me how this is meaningless. It sure doesnt help your argument, thats probably what makes it meaningless.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2014, 12:52:01 PM »

Thanks logan, here's another one that he continues to ignore.

Jamal Branch makes us better plain and simple. If you can say he cant drive and cant pass then you really can not understand the game of basketball.

I like Branch as a back-up but you forgot to add that the team is 2-0 in BE games that he hasn't played in.

I don't think you would agree that he has to play either 16 mins or 0 mins for the team to win.

« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2014, 12:54:43 PM »

He is a brutal free throw shooter

He's shooting 73% on free throws. 3rd on the team. How the hell is 73% brutal ?

hnk

« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2014, 12:57:51 PM »
Y do u guys even bother?

Johnny23

« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »
Jamal Branch is the only true point guard on this team. He's the only one who consistently sets up the other guys in the halfcourt O. Rysheed has a higher ceiling and will probably have to play pg in the pros but I consider him more of a combo guard and scorer on this team.

However Branch keeps getting better and that mid range jumper looks good. With more playing time he's only going to get more comfortable and we'll see more facets of his game. I think we need another pg along with 2 big interior guys in recruiting.

boo3

« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2014, 01:13:54 PM »
pineapple, I tell you... pineapple

Marillac

« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2014, 02:29:14 PM »

He is a brutal free throw shooter

He's shooting 73% on free throws. 3rd on the team. How the hell is 73% brutal ?

Stats are stupid.  They mean nada. Zich. Zero.  LOL this guy actually cracks me up.  Joe3, is that you?  *checks needs2go's closet for mediums...finds Johnygirlxo hiding in there and she is actually a guy*

« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2014, 02:44:21 PM »
If D-Lo isn't in double figures, we probably aren't beating a good team.  That is the bottom line. 

TONYD3

« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »
Never considered post ell a back up. Remeber him starting As a freshman. Think chudney was a better overall player, branch has better skills.
Sanchez couldn't didnt guard his man very well last game. But neither did his teammates. Atleast he scored. The hate for branch I don't understand . His shortcomings are easy to see . So are his strengths . Both of these guys were overrated . Both are still decent players. Both add depth.

« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2014, 04:20:04 PM »
In the 6 games where St John's has played a Top 25 team (Cuse, Wisconsin, Nova 2x, Creighton 2x) the great Branch has a total of one assist.  Not one assist per game, a total of 1 assist which comes out to like .17 assists per game.  The guy is a joke and comes up so small against good competition.  All you tree Branch lovers will have a field day tomorrow when he looks like an All American against DePaul.  Too bad we just couldn't play DePaul and Butler every game because Branch would be 1st team all league.  PG's are supposed to make your team better.  PG is the most important position in college and this fan base just doesn't have the basketball knowledge to realize this guy does absolutely nothing to make this team better when he is on the floor.

End of story I am done arguing about Branch.  It's as simple as the sky is blue that he is not a good basketball player.  He never makes a pass that leads to a basket ever so stop crying about how the ball moves better when Branch is in.  HOW?????

Foad

« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2014, 05:10:28 PM »
He never makes a pass that leads to a basket ever

Odd definition of "never ... ever": he's 4th in assists (44) and 8th in minutes played (367). Jordan leads the team with about twice as many (81) in about twice as many minutes (685). You don't handle numbers well for a math teacher.