Is this team's best basketball ahead of them?

• 31 replies

Tha Kid

Re: Is this team's best basketball ahead of them?
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 04:35:26 PM »
Basically, I'd take my chances at blackjack before betting on how we perform the next few games.  We could be world beaters, we could be terrible and out of sync, and anywhere in between.  It is why the opinions on us range so greatly.  When we are playing our best we are as athletic as anyone in the country, can run the fast break well, have a go to option, and play tough, TO causing D and have a shot blocker at the back end to save us if anyone gets by a guard.  When we are playing our worst we can lose to DePaul, etc. and not even look like we belong in the NIT field let alone the NCAA field.

I predict we go on a run here.  But I won't be surprised with the opposite.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 04:47:44 PM »
This team has shown the ability to play with anyone if on their game.  So I read all the posts saying no chance this, and not gonna happen that.  I think we can still go on a run and win a couple games in BET.   Lavin at this point needs to motivate and substitute appropriately, but it's the players who are going to determine the fate.  The main players (D-lo, Obekpa, Jordan, Sampson) are going to get the majority of minutes with a short rotation of 7-8 guys.  Time for them to step up!

1-8 against the top 50 or something like that. How is that "playing with anyone''?

desco80

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 04:51:59 PM »
If we lose, it's the coaching

If we win it's the despite the coaching...

Please, save us the time, we all know the drill around here.

I wasn't going to bring it up Boo!   
But then the PR machine started to say it's all on the players and thats why we are where we are...

Also fwiw, among those of us who have been critical... some of us gave coach credit for shortening the rotations and pressing more when we went on the 9 of 10 streak.   

jr49

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 05:35:16 PM »
Is Lavins best coaching ahead of him?

I personally anticipate more dissapointment and underperformance as long as he is here.
This was supposed to be the breakout year. These bubble conversations are NOT the sort of discussions we were supposed to be having in March 2014.

Now people are saying "next year" yet again. I have no confidence that next year will be any better than another bubble year. To hear Lavins paid fansite PR moles, being a NIT bound bubbble team this year and barely making it into the tourney as a bubble team next year is right where we ought to be. And to expect more is arrogance..." why, who do we think we are, Kentucky, UCLA?! We should class our program with the Seton Halls instead"
Coaching? Players gatta play. Harrison, Sampson, Opekpa, and Jordan are the guys that must show up if we getting on a run. Four for 16, or playing half a game ain't gonna beat anybody good. Now is not the time for players to stink it up. Players gatta play. X-men came into MSG and showed our guys what it takes if you wanna dance.

Actually, Chris Mack came into MSG & showed our guys what you need to have on the sidelines in you wanna dance.
So when they were going 3-7 and we were tearing it up was it the coaches or the players doing? Not trying to change your mind. Me, I think At BE level it's the players that gotta get it done.

LoganK

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 05:43:17 PM »
This team has shown the ability to play with anyone if on their game.  So I read all the posts saying no chance this, and not gonna happen that.  I think we can still go on a run and win a couple games in BET.   Lavin at this point needs to motivate and substitute appropriately, but it's the players who are going to determine the fate.  The main players (D-lo, Obekpa, Jordan, Sampson) are going to get the majority of minutes with a short rotation of 7-8 guys.  Time for them to step up!

1-8 against the top 50 or something like that. How is that "playing with anyone''?

We can certainly play with anyone - we beat creighton, and have three losses to top 15 teams by 5 points or less.  So the actual record vs the top 50 doesn't disqualify his point.  The problem is, "playing with anyone" is not what we need to do now.  We need to BEAT anyone.  Both to make the BET finals (or win them) and then to advance in the NCAA tournament.

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »
Totally agree Logan.  I didn't say we've beaten a ton of top teams.   We've played some high level teams to close games, and some before we were playing our best.  I'm not saying we're definitely going to win the BET or that its even likely that we'll win a  game or 2.  All I'm saying is it is possible and I wouldn't be surprised if we went on a run.  I think the potential is there.  So until we lose, I'm going to stay under the mindset that we can pull it off and hold onto that. 

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 08:05:42 PM »
I voted yes.

1. It has to be, or we end the season in the NIT.

2. Whitesell appears to be a good influence on this team, and Lavin. Lavin has tightened the rotation. Time for the Juniors and Sophomores to grab the opportunity.

3. This team is considered to be just as experienced or talented as any team they will see in Marquette or the Big East tournament. The Holy Grail is within reach, just have to want to grab it.

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 10:29:07 PM »
Basically, I'd take my chances at blackjack before betting on how we perform the next few games.

I think you mean you would take your chances on the lottery?  Blackjack,  and craps, are about the best betting options in the world for favorable player conditions.  One would take their chances on Blackjack before just about any other betting option.

Poison

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 11:47:20 PM »

I personally anticipate more dissapointment and underperformance as long as he is here.
This was supposed to be the breakout year. These bubble conversations are NOT the sort of discussions we were supposed to be having in March 2014.

Now people are saying "next year" yet again. I have no confidence that next year will be any better than another bubble year. To hear Lavins paid fansite PR moles, being a NIT bound bubbble team this year and barely making it into the tourney as a bubble team next year is right where we ought to be. And to expect more is arrogance..." why, who do we think we are, Kentucky, UCLA?! We should class our program with the Seton Halls instead"
Coaching? Players gatta play. Harrison, Sampson, Opekpa, and Jordan are the guys that must show up if we getting on a run. Four for 16, or playing half a game ain't gonna beat anybody good. Now is not the time for players to stink it up. Players gatta play. X-men came into MSG and showed our guys what it takes if you wanna dance.

We played man vs Xavier. They tore it apart in the second half. Marquette has a weak backcourt. If we zone them, we'll win. If we don't, which I fully expect, we'll lose by ten points, and wind up w a 3 seed in the NIT.

goredmen

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 12:15:17 AM »

We played man vs Xavier. They tore it apart in the second half. Marquette has a weak backcourt. If we zone them, we'll win. If we don't, which I fully expect, we'll lose by ten points, and wind up w a 3 seed in the NIT.

That dude Thomas will light us up if we play zone. I don't trust our guys to play a zone while making sure their shooter doesn't get open looks. We should be fine if we play a sagging man. Their offense runs through Gardner. We have the bigs that can match up with him

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 05:58:07 PM »

1-5 against the top ten.  0-3 against 11-50. 

Poison

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 06:03:18 PM »

That dude Thomas will light us up if we play zone. I don't trust our guys to play a zone while making sure their shooter doesn't get open looks. We should be fine if we play a sagging man. Their offense runs through Gardner. We have the bigs that can match up with him

What kind of D did we play in MSG when we played them the first time?