Providence Game 3 -BET

• 340 replies
Re: Providence Game 3 -BET
« Reply #220 on: March 13, 2014, 06:02:25 PM »
I may be totally in the minority here but I think going to the NIT and hopefully winning it is a good thing.  This team needs to get better and the possibility of playing 5 more games, in whatever tournament is a positive.  If you look at this team that is 20-12 and  if each player gets just 10% better going into the next year we can have a very successful season.

We played five extra games...in Europe...and the team still disappointed.  The team played enough games this year.  Turn down the NIT and move on.

paultzman

« Reply #221 on: March 13, 2014, 06:04:22 PM »
I may be totally in the minority here but I think going to the NIT and hopefully winning it is a good thing.  This team needs to get better and the possibility of playing 5 more games, in whatever tournament is a positive.  If you look at this team that is 20-12 and  if each player gets just 10% better going into the next year we can have a very successful season.

We played five extra games...in Europe...and the team still disappointed.  The team played enough games this year.  Turn down the NIT and move on.

Tend to agree, but if the kids want to play, let them.

boo3

« Reply #222 on: March 13, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »
No shot in hell they turn down the NIT.. Why would they do that?  Come on..

Re: Lavin getting pissed like a Calhoun..... It's not him.. Not going to happen.  If that's what you want, you should start a website for a new coach or something.. 

« Reply #223 on: March 13, 2014, 06:07:46 PM »

Well , you know what matchup might peak some local interest... Lol

paultzman

« Reply #224 on: March 13, 2014, 06:10:27 PM »

Actually that would be the only NIT game I would find appealing.

boo3

« Reply #225 on: March 13, 2014, 06:15:51 PM »
 If it's true that CO refused to go back in, I don't want him back..   He was definitely pissed when Lavin took him out after picking up his third, I can tell you that, I was about 10 feet away from him when it happened..

« Reply #226 on: March 13, 2014, 06:20:01 PM »
I don't think teams can turn down the NIT.  It is owned by the NCAA and I believe teams have to accept a bid.  I could be wrong but I believe that has been the case for quite a few years.

EDIT:  I just looked it up and I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:24:37 PM by simplyred »

« Reply #227 on: March 13, 2014, 06:20:36 PM »

They didn't want to play today, that's for sure. 

« Reply #228 on: March 13, 2014, 06:22:42 PM »
I sat very close as well, and it was clear there was tension between he and Lavin.  That being said, Lavin let them play small way too long in the second half while getting killed down low on what felt like about a gillion offensive rebounds.  If not Obekpa, Gift should have been in.  When he was in, he made it very tough for Providence down low.  Sanchez is about as bad an off the ball defender as it comes.  He also doesn't always box out and gives up offensive rebounds. 

If for whatever reason Obekpa isn't back next year, we could be dangerously small. 

« Reply #229 on: March 13, 2014, 06:24:32 PM »
What would be the benefit of not playing in the NIT? I don't understand that point of view.

paultzman

« Reply #230 on: March 13, 2014, 06:25:10 PM »

They didn't want to play today, that's for sure. 

Can't ague there. Dreadful effort on rebounding, defense & getting 50/50 balls.

goredmen

« Reply #231 on: March 13, 2014, 06:31:06 PM »
I don't think teams can turn down the NIT.  It is owned by the NCAA and I believe teams have to accept a bid.  I could be wrong but I believe that has been the case for quite a few years.

EDIT:  I just looked it up and I may be wrong.

Well it is called the national INVITATIONAL tournament. You can turn it down but nobody really does

« Reply #232 on: March 13, 2014, 06:33:02 PM »
NIT is owned by the NCAA. They might be slighted if St Johns turns down the NIT bid. NCAA could remember that next year, when we would be in the same bubble position.

« Reply #233 on: March 13, 2014, 06:37:23 PM »

Actually that would be the only NIT game I would find appealing.

Seriously. From an Iona standpoint as well.  A nit bracket page has the Gaels vs West Virginia. C'mon who cares. Of course you want to see your seniors play another game. But make it interesting for chrissakes

Mike

« Reply #234 on: March 13, 2014, 06:43:58 PM »

Re: Lavin getting pissed like a Calhoun..... It's not him.. Not going to happen.  If that's what you want, you should start a website for a new coach or something.. 

This turning down the NIT stuff is ridiculous, wasn't Kentucky in the NIT last year or year before? We are not in a position to say screw you. Also it's about the kids not what some posters think should happen. guess this board will be quiet while the NIT is being played. Good luck guys.

« Reply #235 on: March 13, 2014, 06:50:25 PM »

This turning down the NIT stuff is ridiculous, wasn't Kentucky in the NIT last year or year before? We are not in a position to say screw you. Also it's about the kids not what some posters think should happen. guess this board will be quiet while the NIT is being played. Good luck guys.

Thank you, agree 100%.  As Carnesseca used to say "hate putting the balls away"  These kids deserve to continue playing.

« Reply #236 on: March 13, 2014, 07:02:49 PM »
I Just returned from the Garden, used a vacation day to go to the games. It was a mixed bag, a really exciting first game with a thrilling ending followed by a baffling performance by St. John's in the second game.

The crowd showing by St John's supporters was disappointing (psychic premonition by the faithful perhaps?). The building was filled with more Nova supporters than any other school, followed closely be Seton Hall supporters next, then there was a drop off but there were probably a bit more Friar fans in the building than St. John's fans. Given our proximity to the arena and the magnitude of the game for us I found the apathy somewhat surprising ( again psychic premonition by the faithful perhaps?)

As for the game it was disturbing to see us so flat for major chunks of the game. We struggled in the half court all game long and we were bad against the zone and did not have a good strategy for attacking it. While I am generally a Steve Lavin supporter I feel he did not have a good day coaching. He needed to change the game with the press early on and waited far too long to implement this strategy. Certainly once Cotton picked up his fourth foul it was essential that St. John's press their advantage and force the action by pressing. I am not sure if our exciting run to cut it from seventeen to one near the end did more to mask a poor effort than bolster the spirits of fans to say only if after the loss.

I enjoyed this season quite a bit and do not feel as some do that it would be a waste if we did not make the NCAA tournament, but there is no way to hide the disappointment of missing out on the opportunity to make the big dance with just a win or two in the Big East tournament.

Dan

« Reply #237 on: March 13, 2014, 07:05:58 PM »
Disappointing season overall and Lavin deserves criticism for not getting them to the NCAAs - this team started BE play flat and unprepared and a late run wasn't enough to salvage it.  Lavin should take the brunt of the criticism for that.  People are discussing an extension, it's sad that an NIT bid yields that.  I wonder what his excuse will be if they fall flat AGAIN next year and don't make it. 

If Lavin is so good, the NCAAs should be a lock, it should be a matter of how far they go, not gee I hope we make it.

« Reply #238 on: March 13, 2014, 07:06:40 PM »

Who the hell is St. John's to refuse to the NIT?  Since 2000, we've been to the NCAA Tournament three times.  And we haven't won a game in the tournament since 2000.

Let's stop pretending like our program has standards.

« Reply #239 on: March 13, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
Yeah, we will go to the NIT. That's not even a question.