Providence Game 3 -BET

• 340 replies

Foad

Re: Providence Game 3 -BET
« Reply #280 on: March 14, 2014, 01:04:46 PM »
Sure there are others to blame, but Harrison is the face of the team, he is the leader. The final stat line doesn't show how MIA D'lo was for the game. He is a tremendous rebounder for us, true. We need him to score! His first FG of the game came after the final TV timeout in the first half. One FG in the first half? He opens up the second half with a 2 pt FG, then doesn't score again until after the final TV timeout in the second half? 2 FG's in 36 minutes in the biggest game of the year from our best player?

It's not like he didn't have oppurtunities. Jordan blanketed Cotton, he did a great job on him. After the first offical timeout, Sanchez inbound the ball to a wind open D'lo above the key, no one was within five feet from him. Does he take the 3 point shot? nope, he puts the ball on the floor and finds a defender to challenge his running floater that he missed. Same thing at the 14:40 mark in the second half, D'lo in the corner, Sanchez has the ball in the low block, D'lo's man crashes down to double Sanchez, he passes it out to D'lo for an open 3 does he take it? nope, Once again he drives the ball to the basket with his turtle like quickness and 12 inch vertical and finds a defender to challenge his floater, which he missed. There is a reason why D'lo shoots sub 40% and why he shot 35% for the game. He did all of his scoring after we were down double digits with four minutes to go.

I like D'lo, but if he's our best player that's why we haven't gone to the NCAA tourney since he's been here. Not a knock on him, he plays hard, but he has his limitations like most of the other players. But unlike the rest, he could shoot, and feel he can be better for us than he has if he had better shot selection. We go on our offensive droughts because of shot selection, not lack of offensive game plan. 

21 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks is to you "missing in action"? I just want to clarify that.

He had six FGs, not 2.

He scored 30 percent of the teams total points, but doesn't score enough?

On the one hand you bitch about his shot selection and on the other that he doesn't score enough. You complain about his shooting percentage but wish he took more threes, which he shoots at a lower percentage than he does FGs. Does not compute. He drives to draw contact and shoot FTs, which he does at an exceptional rate. He plays to his strengths, unlike the other mooks on this team, who are generally brainless.

The reason this team shoots poorly is because there is no offensive game plan beyond: someone make a play. The reason Harrison's FG is low is because he's so often the one who is left to do so.

Alleged "core" player Chris Obekpa had zero points yesterday in two minutes. Alleged shooting Phil Greene had 2 points in 22 minutes. Pointer was scoreless in 10. Between the three of them they were 1 for 11 from the floor. Jakarr Sampson missed 4 of 7 free throws. Sanchez and Pointer were a combined 0 for 4. Between the three of them they were 3 of 11. That's why Harrison is not playing in the NCAA tournament this year. Well that and Lavin is a chucklehead.

Harrison is having one of the great careers in SJU history. Not a first tier career like Mullin/Berry/Sealy, but certainly on the second. Neither is he a freak of nature like Marcus Hatten, but then few people are, hence the characterization freak. But Harrison is a great BB player. I feel sorry for you that you can't appreciate it.

pmg911

« Reply #281 on: March 14, 2014, 01:13:57 PM »

Harrison is having one of the great careers in SJU history. Not a first tier career like Mullin/Berry/Sealy, but certainly on the second. Neither is he a freak of nature like Marcus Hatten, but then few people are, hence the characterization freak. But Harrison is a great BB player. I feel sorry for you that you can't appreciate it.

Harrison is a great offensive player and will end up as one of the best scorers in the history of the school.

Tough to say its a great career when he has never played in a NCAA Tournament.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:14:30 PM by pmg911 »

« Reply #282 on: March 14, 2014, 01:16:42 PM »

Harrison is a great offensive player and will end up as one of the best scorers in the history of the school.

So if he plays in one next year he will match Lopez, Hamilton and Hatten

Moose

« Reply #283 on: March 14, 2014, 01:34:07 PM »
Harrison's poor shot selection continues.

Harrison led the team in points, assists, and blocks, added 10 rebounds and had one TO in 36 minutes. Find someone else to blame.

It's really amazing.
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #284 on: March 14, 2014, 01:34:44 PM »
Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille  2m
Will have more in story on St. John's look ahead to future, but was told by source close to Rysheed Jordan he plans to come back. #sjubb

Moose

« Reply #285 on: March 14, 2014, 01:35:11 PM »
Harrison's poor shot selection continues.

Harrison led the team in points, assists, and blocks, added 10 rebounds and had one TO in 36 minutes. Find someone else to blame.

Sure there are others to blame, but Harrison is the face of the team, he is the leader. The final stat line doesn't show how MIA D'lo was for the game. He is a tremendous rebounder for us, true. We need him to score! His first FG of the game came after the final TV timeout in the first half. One FG in the first half? He opens up the second half with a 2 pt FG, then doesn't score again until after the final TV timeout in the second half? 2 FG's in 36 minutes in the biggest game of the year from our best player?

It's not like he didn't have oppurtunities. Jordan blanketed Cotton, he did a great job on him. After the first offical timeout, Sanchez inbound the ball to a wide open D'lo above the key, no one was within five feet from him. Does he take the 3 point shot? nope, he puts the ball on the floor and finds a defender to challenge his running floater that he missed. Same thing at the 14:40 mark in the second half, D'lo in the corner, Sanchez has the ball in the low block, D'lo's man crashes down to double Sanchez, he passes it out to D'lo for an open 3 does he take it? nope, Once again he drives the ball to the basket with his turtle like quickness and 12 inch vertical and finds a defender to challenge his floater, which he missed. There is a reason why D'lo shoots sub 40% and why he shot 35% for the game. He did all of his scoring after we were down double digits with four minutes to go.

I like D'lo, but if he's our best player that's why we haven't gone to the NCAA tourney since he's been here. Not a knock on him, he plays hard, but he has his limitations like most of the other players. But unlike the rest, he could shoot, and feel he can be better for us than he has if he had better shot selection. We go on our offensive droughts because of shot selection, not lack of offensive game plan. 

Does the final statline show how Obekpa was MIA for the game?

Moose

« Reply #286 on: March 14, 2014, 01:36:50 PM »
Will have more in story on St. John's look ahead to future, but was told by source close to Rysheed Jordan he plans to come back. #sjubb

Season isnt even over and we have to hear this. 
Goodie
Should be quiet tranquil few months.

« Reply #287 on: March 14, 2014, 01:44:54 PM »

Goodie

It might not have been over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, but this ST John's basketball season is over.

Foad

« Reply #288 on: March 14, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »

Tough to say Dan Callandrillo had a great career? BE POY? 3rd team all american?

Zero NCAA appearances.

« Reply #289 on: March 14, 2014, 01:59:42 PM »

Goodie

It might not have been over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, but this ST John's basketball season is over.

What happened to the Redmen I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts?  When the going gets tough...the tough get going!

LETS GO!!!!

cjfish

« Reply #290 on: March 14, 2014, 02:05:10 PM »
to all of you whining about the refs....give it up.  We lost because we choked on the line, missed layups (some pathetically), and Harrison was invisible until 4 minutes left in the game.  Too little, too late.  Make a run in the NIT so we can go into next year on a positive note.

Moose

« Reply #291 on: March 14, 2014, 02:15:54 PM »
to all of you whining about the refs....give it up.  We lost because we choked on the line, missed layups (some pathetically), and Harrison was invisible until 4 minutes left in the game.  Too little, too late.  Make a run in the NIT so we can go into next year on a positive note.

So posters cannot comment on a ridiculously officiated game?  You named a bunch of things that could have changed the outcome of the game.  I can name  countless more as well.  Officiating was one of them.  Accept it and move on.

pmg911

« Reply #292 on: March 14, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »

Tough to say Dan Callandrillo had a great career? BE POY? 3rd team all american?

Zero NCAA appearances.

Funny you used that specific example - I played basketball with & against Dan Callandrillo for years at the Downtown Athletic Club. He told me many times he would have done anything to play in an NCAA Tournament.

Foad

« Reply #293 on: March 14, 2014, 02:47:59 PM »

Zero NCAA appearances.

Funny you used that specific example - I played basketball with & against Dan Callandrillo for years at the Downtown Athletic Club. He told me many times he would have done anything to play in an NCAA Tournament.

I hope you told him you wished he had, so that he could have had a great career.

pmg911

« Reply #294 on: March 14, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »

Zero NCAA appearances.

I hope you told him you wished he had, so that he could have had a great career.

white

SJUFAN

« Reply #295 on: March 14, 2014, 03:11:31 PM »
21 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks is to you "missing in action"? I just want to clarify that.
He had six FGs, not 2.

I was referring to game time, not minutes played. In the first 36 minutes of the game, he had 2 FGs, not 6. 1 FG in the first 20 Minutes, that is MIA to me.

On the one hand you bitch about his shot selection and on the other that he doesn't score enough. You complain about his shooting percentage but wish he took more threes, which he shoots at a lower percentage than he does FGs. Does not compute. He drives to draw contact and shoot FTs, which he does at an exceptional rate. He plays to his strengths, unlike the other mooks on this team, who are generally brainless.

It not about what he does, that thinking is why we are in the NIT. Its about what he needs to do. It's all about efficiency. The two examples that I brought up were times that he chose a more difficult shot than the ones he were given. He does this every game. Most of the time he doesn't get the call. I would like him to shoot when he's open, within the flow of the offense, yes the offense. It would change the complextion of the game if we have consistant scoring. If his shot selection improved he may average 2 extra made FGs a game.

The reason this team shoots poorly is because there is no offensive game plan beyond: someone make a play. The reason Harrison's FG is low is because he's so often the one who is left to do so.

The reason this team shoots poorly is because they can't shoot. No one is playing defense on the free throw line. Blame Lavin for having a poor free throw game plan.

Alleged "core" player Chris Obekpa had zero points yesterday in two minutes. Alleged shooting Phil Greene had 2 points in 22 minutes. Pointer was scoreless in 10. Between the three of them they were 1 for 11 from the floor. Jakarr Sampson missed 4 of 7 free throws. Sanchez and Pointer were a combined 0 for 4. Between the three of them they were 3 of 11. That's why Harrison is not playing in the NCAA tournament this year. Well that and Lavin is a chucklehead.

It's not all on Harrison, others could do better as well. Its not blasphemy however to suggest Harrison could have played better, regardless of what his final stat line suggests. 

Like I said I like Harrison, not trying to pick on him, even though its probably what I did.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:13:51 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #296 on: March 14, 2014, 03:18:16 PM »
He had six FGs, not 2.

I was referring to game time, not minutes played. In the first 36 minutes of the game, he had 2 FGs, not 6. 1 FG in the first 20 Minutes, that is MIA to me.

It not about what he does, that thinking is why we are in the NIT. Its about what he needs to do. It's all about efficiency. The two examples that I brought up were times that he chose a more difficult shot than the ones he were given. He does this every game. Most of the time he doesn't get the call. I would like him to shoot when he's open, within the flow of the offense, yes the offense. It would change the complextion of the game if we have consistant scoring. If his shot selection improved he may average 2 extra made FGs a game.

The reason this team shoots poorly is because they can't shoot. No one is playing defense on the free throw line. Blame Lavin for having a poor free throw game plan.

It's not all on Harrison, others could do better as well. Its not blasphemy however to suggest Harrison could have played better, regardless of what his final stat line suggests. 

Like I said I like Harrison, not trying to pick on him, even though its probably what I did.

So it is ok to come across as bashing Haarrison but not Lavin? Lavin sand bagged the first half of the season relied too much on Greene and could not even figure out who his best players were despit taking them on a Summer trip. Guess they mostly concentrated on sight seeing in the summer as Lavin finally settled on the "right" lineup in February.
Lavin recruited kids who can't shoot. So yes, that is on him.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:19:29 PM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #297 on: March 14, 2014, 03:38:11 PM »
He had six FGs, not 2.

So to recap: when we win it's because of our core players: Sampson, Obekpa, and Jordan. And when we lose its because Harrison only double doubled. Do I have that about right?

SJUFAN

« Reply #298 on: March 14, 2014, 04:10:45 PM »
So it is ok to come across as bashing Haarrison but not Lavin? Lavin sand bagged the first half of the season relied too much on Greene and could not even figure out who his best players were despit taking them on a Summer trip. Guess they mostly concentrated on sight seeing in the summer as Lavin finally settled on the "right" lineup in February.
Lavin recruited kids who can't shoot. So yes, that is on him.

I wouldn't say questonoing Lavin's inability to settle on a line up may have contributed to us not making the tourney this year is bashing him. Nor is pointing out that Harrison needs to improve his shot selection.   

Johnny23

« Reply #299 on: March 14, 2014, 04:25:51 PM »
Pointer has regressed to the point where he's a liability on the floor. Those 3 first half, dunk, layup botches that he had are unacceptable at that level. He is so unstable with the ball in his hands that he really shouldn't ever touch it. Seems like a good kid but hurts this team when he's on the floor. This team has zero chemistry which is really bizarre when a most of the core guys have been together for 2-3 years??
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:27:04 PM by Johnny23 »