Providence Game 3 -BET

• 340 replies

goredmen

Re: Providence Game 3 -BET
« Reply #320 on: March 16, 2014, 01:09:32 AM »
How many games have you been to Goredman?  Nice name. And you did not answer the question. If we have such great players, why do the other teams have more players recognized for their talent by being named all conference or honorable mention? ? Oh right, it is the coach. Do you blame Lavin when you miss your bus too?

Part of a coach's job is to put players in the positions to succeed. It's not Harrison's fault that he is forced to take all of his shots when going one on one or from 6 feet behind the NBA 3 point line. How many open looks do other good players get and how many does Harrison. Even Doug McDermott gets open shots even when defenses are keying on him because his coach knows how to get his best player open looks.

Do you think this staff would be able to help Carrington and Mike Williams reach their full potential as basketball players? If so, what makes you think that? Which of Lavin's players have greatly improved since coming to campus? I'll give you a few years to come up with one

« Reply #321 on: March 16, 2014, 01:30:24 AM »
mistakenly pointed out that we're a poor FT shooting team.  But that seems like ions ago.  We shot a respectable 70% from the line this season, up from 64% last season and mid-pack in the BE.

Take away Harrison and the rest of them shoot a collective 63 percent. Stick to blustering, you're not very good at facts.

Why would I take away Harrison?  I gave team FT percentages.  He's on the team,  isn't he?  Dems is the facts, jack.

Stick to blustering?   Your entire posting persona including this post is blusterous. I'm sure that even you, the consummate contrarian,  won't argue that point.

Blustering - 2. a. To speak in a loudly arrogant or bullying manner.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 01:42:51 AM by carmineabbatiello »

Foad

« Reply #322 on: March 16, 2014, 07:30:20 AM »
mistakenly pointed out that we're a poor FT shooting team.  But that seems like ions ago.  We shot a respectable 70% from the line this season, up from 64% last season and mid-pack in the BE.

Take away Harrison and the rest of them shoot a collective 63 percent. Stick to blustering, you're not very good at facts.

Why would I take away Harrison?  I gave team FT percentages.  He's on the team,  isn't he?  Dems is the facts, jack.

Stick to blustering?   Your entire posting persona including this post is blusterous. I'm sure that even you, the consummate contrarian,  won't argue that point.

There's no need to supply me with definitions. I know the meaning of the words I use, even the challenging three letter ones. Anyway, sorry you're feewing buwwied. Poor baby. Charlie Parker was a tenor player, you're a better singer than Rene Fleming, Avery Patterson was a good three point shooter, Phil Greene is a defensive stopper and Saint John's is a good FT shooting team. Perhaps if you didn't say so many stupid things you wouldn't draw so much scorn.

« Reply #323 on: March 16, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »

There's no need to supply me with definitions. I know the meaning of the words I use, even the challenging three letter ones. Anyway, sorry you're feewing buwwied. Poor baby. Charlie Parker was a tenor player, you're a better singer than Rene Fleming, Avery Patterson was a good three point shooter, Phil Greene is a defensive stopper and Saint John's is a good FT shooting team. Perhaps if you didn't say so many stupid things you wouldn't draw so much scorn.

Post was good until the blustering began anew in the last sentence.  I know it's hard for ole folk to change their spots.  But it's ok. Since you and I are once and for all mostly in agreement on all points mentioned above, there will no longer be a need to rehash ancient history.  I will behave as an adult and take the high road.

Let peace, tranquility and good will towards your fellow poster reign supreme on JJ!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 05:38:36 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #324 on: March 16, 2014, 05:56:32 PM »
Anybody know for sure why Oblockpa only played 2 minutes in the BE tournament?

« Reply #325 on: March 16, 2014, 05:59:46 PM »
He fouled out in those two minutes.

« Reply #326 on: March 16, 2014, 09:00:59 PM »

You serious?  Box score shows 3 fouls total.

« Reply #327 on: March 16, 2014, 09:13:23 PM »

Joking.  I have to be careful.  Matt105 came back really nasty at me for a joke in the NIT thread on  Redmen.com.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:15:57 PM by simplyred »

« Reply #328 on: March 16, 2014, 11:06:16 PM »

Joking.  I have to be careful.  Matt105 came back really nasty at me for a joke in the NIT thread on  Redmen.com.

Not with me you don't.  I don't come back nasty at anyone...usually.  Nothing but love in my heart for all my JJ breathren.  I didn't see the game so I don't really know what went on but it sure seems strange that Chris played only two minutes with the season on the line if he wasn't injured?  I don't get it. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:53:50 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #329 on: March 16, 2014, 11:32:03 PM »
Fire Donavan! Did you see how his team screwed up such a big lead?And then his players missed fretee throws to give KY a chance to win it al. If Donavan had forced them to shoot ft's in their sleep, they would have easily iced the game. Fire his butt now!!!!And Donavan's staff must be awful too. Dead wood for sure. And as for Calipari, all his team had to do was get a decent shot with 25 seconds left on the clock to win it all! And they could make  no play even after a t/o was called.  They turned it over! What was Calipari doing--discussing the post game dinner menu!!! Fire Calipari's staff too. They had 34 games to teach them to run a play. And  both coaches should have recruited better players, not athletes.  Guys who could hit ft"s and make a pass! -------Sound familiar. on this board? Madness or stupidity. Either /or?   Answer----both.

« Reply #330 on: March 17, 2014, 10:26:27 AM »
Anyway, sorry you're feewing buwwied. Poor baby.  Perhaps if you didn't say so many stupid things you wouldn't draw so much scorn.
I've changed my mind and decided to take the low road and write a blusterous post in the retaliatory, line by line item veto style made infamous by yourself.  A style I might add,  that has revolutionized the fan posting industry.
Charlie Parker was a tenor player,
No.  He played alto.
you're a better singer than Rene Fleming
That's not what I wrote.  I wrote that it might be the opinion of my moms that Bob Dylan or I are a better singers than Rene Fleming and that that would be a perfectly valid opinion.  I also said that it might be ones opinion that the music made by an aborigine banging on a rock with a stick is better than that of a Sonny Rollins or Brecker brother sax solo.  That would also be fine and dandy.

My point being that since the evaluation of art is not easily aided by numeric measurement or statistical analysis, and since none of it can be proven or disproven using standard techniques such as the scientific method...the evaluation of art is subjective.  I in no way meant to insult art critics and art academia everywhere nor to belittle what they do. 

One may say that the Weasels are better than the Rolling Stones, or one may say that "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" is better than "Lumpy Gravy".  I may like Phil Greene...you may not.  You know, opinions are like a$$holes and that's what makes horse races and all that good stuff.

A pretty good point, eh?

Footnote: While comparing Rene Fleming to Bob Dylan is at least an apples to oranges and not an apples to orangutans comparison,  perhaps comparing her to Tarja Turunen would make for a more interesting debate.
Avery Patterson was a good three point shooter
That is my opinion.  However,  I have since learned (and much to my surprise) that it is the opinion of many on JJ,  perhaps yours...I forget,  that the number of three pointers made is not an important factor in determining if a player is a good three point shooter.  It is only the percentage of three pointers made that counts for everything.  But more on that later.
Phil Greene is a defensive stopper
He is an excellent defensive player.  SJU finished third in the league defensively and he was an integral part of it.  Lavin and co. had him matched up often with the opponents best scorer so I feel that that is their opinion as well. 
Saint John's is a good FT shooting team.
I wouldn't say that.  I would say that they are an average FT shooting team.  They are currently as close to the average, or median, position in the conference FT standings as is possible in a conference with an even number of teams.  They are also an improved FT shooting team.  Up 6% from last season.

Hint:  If you would like to prove that they are a "poor" FT shooting teams,  I suggest looking at where they stand in the overall D1 FT shooting standings.  Perhaps something different than the conference numbers could be found there to bolster your contention.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:17:07 AM by carmineabbatiello »

boo3

« Reply #331 on: March 17, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »
 Carmine-  Lavin yanked CO immediately after he picked up #3 on a silly reach-in 1 minute into the 2nd H..   Apparently later in the half,  Lavin went to put CO back in and he refused...so the story goes.  Lavin put in Gift instead and Chris stayed on the bench.

« Reply #332 on: March 17, 2014, 02:15:33 PM »
I was sitting behind the bench near the bench.  Lavin had an animated discussion with Obekpa, after which Martin, Greene and Branch all appeared to get heated with CO.

« Reply #333 on: March 17, 2014, 02:17:51 PM »
Carmine-  Lavin yanked CO immediately after he picked up #3 on a silly reach-in 1 minute into the 2nd H..   Apparently later in the half,  Lavin went to put CO back in and he refused...so the story goes.  Lavin put in Gift instead and Chris stayed on the bench.

I wish I knew if that story is true or not.  Why would a player not want to go back into the game after being yanked for a third foul 1 minute into the second half.  That's standard operating procedure.

« Reply #334 on: March 18, 2014, 11:27:43 AM »

I wish I knew if that story is true or not.  Why would a player not want to go back into the game after being yanked for a third foul 1 minute into the second half.  That's standard operating procedure.

Probably because Lavin didn't go to put him back in until AFTER Providence raped us on the boards and down low for a 17 point lead...

« Reply #335 on: March 18, 2014, 12:58:49 PM »

Probably because Lavin didn't go to put him back in until AFTER Providence raped us on the boards and down low for a 17 point lead...

I think the coaching staff was upset with him for being kinda lazy. He also took an ill advised 16-17 foot jump shot when we were struggling to score. Hope he learns from that game and comes to play hard going forward.

Foad

« Reply #336 on: March 18, 2014, 01:05:48 PM »
He also took an ill advised 16-17 foot jump shot when we were struggling to score.

He took that same (bad) shot on several similar occasions during the year. The difference is that those times it went in. You can't on the one hand countenance him taking bad shots when they go in and bench him when they don't.

« Reply #337 on: March 18, 2014, 01:16:44 PM »
He also took an ill advised 16-17 foot jump shot when we were struggling to score.

He took that same (bad) shot on several similar occasions during the year. The difference is that those times it went in. You can't on the one hand countenance him taking bad shots when they go in and bench him when they don't.

I agree with ya. Can't recall if the other occasions were with the team struggling to score like this one though. Maybe coach ran plays for a CO jumper the other times but not in this case? (Just kidding, figured you would get a kick out of that one!)

Main reason he had to sit was due to the 3 fouls. It's anyone's guess what happened on the bench if anything between him and Lavin.

Foad

« Reply #338 on: March 18, 2014, 01:22:36 PM »

I agree with ya. Can't recall if the other occasions were with the team struggling to score like this one though. Maybe coach ran plays for a CO jumper the other times but not in this case? (Just kidding, figured you would get a kick out of that one!)

Main reason he had to sit was due to the 3 fouls. It's anyone's guess what happened on the bench if anything between him and Lavin.

At least one jumper was a game winner. Same deal with Harrison: he takes an NBA three and misses he's a bum, it goes in he's a hero. It's pretty easy coach if you get credit for the boons and take no blame for the mistakes where the same behavior occurs under the similar circumstances.

« Reply #339 on: March 18, 2014, 01:26:07 PM »

At least one jumper was a game winner. Same deal with Harrison: he takes an NBA three and misses he's a bum, it goes in he's a hero. It's pretty easy coach if you get credit for the boons and take no blame for the mistakes where the same behavior occurs under the similar circumstances.

Evil Genius?