I am physically ill right now...

• 38 replies

paultzman

Re: I am physically ill right now...
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 10:05:17 PM »
This season has only proven to me that St. John's will not have any type of sustained success any time soon.

Going back to the big recruiting class of a few years ago, would you have ever thought that we'd (maybe) have 1 NCAA Tournament to show for it?  It just goes to show you what a poor coach Lavin is.

I thought we would be an NCAA team by year 3 with this class.  And the reason that we (probobly)  are not one is that we lack that one player.  The one player that can knock dowm three's consistantly.  With all the talk of how our interior defense was it was the back to back 3's in the first half that cut our lead from 7-1 and Fourtune's back to back in the 2nd half that gave them a double diget lead. 

In this day and age in CB you need to be able to hit three's on a consistant basis.  And for what ever reason Lavin still hasn't found that player.  I really think if we had that tuype of shooter we would have 24 wins at least and would be an ncaa team.  Really think Lavin is going to have to find someone (JC-transfer) who can fill that roll.  As hard as this season ihas been we are really only a couple of jump shots away from those 24 wins.

Am I an optomist, probobly but @DePaul, Providence, Penn St and today

I get it but I am more upset about the defensive breakdowns and poor defensive rebounding in some of these games that really cost them.  1 NCAA Tourney appearance in 4 years is not good enough by Lavin's own standards.  This was the year they needed to breakthrough.  They should be really good next year but again this should have been an NCAA springboard to next year.

NCAA springboard this year for greater success next season was precisely the target. Couple that with continued solid recruiting and we would be on our way to annual relevance, respectability and competitiveness. Too bad phase one did not come to fruition.

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 10:08:18 PM »
This season has only proven to me that St. John's will not have any type of sustained success any time soon.

Going back to the big recruiting class of a few years ago, would you have ever thought that we'd (maybe) have 1 NCAA Tournament to show for it?  It just goes to show you what a poor coach Lavin is.

I thought we would be an NCAA team by year 3 with this class.  And the reason that we (probobly)  are not one is that we lack that one player.  The one player that can knock dowm three's consistantly.  With all the talk of how our interior defense was it was the back to back 3's in the first half that cut our lead from 7-1 and Fourtune's back to back in the 2nd half that gave them a double diget lead. 

In this day and age in CB you need to be able to hit three's on a consistant basis.  And for what ever reason Lavin still hasn't found that player.  I really think if we had that tuype of shooter we would have 24 wins at least and would be an ncaa team.  Really think Lavin is going to have to find someone (JC-transfer) who can fill that roll.  As hard as this season ihas been we are really only a couple of jump shots away from those 24 wins.

I get it but I am more upset about the defensive breakdowns and poor defensive rebounding in some of these games that really cost them.  1 NCAA Tourney appearance in 4 years is not good enough by Lavin's own standards.  This was the year they needed to breakthrough.  They should be really good next year but again this should have been an NCAA springboard to next year.

we do tend to let guys shot wide open 3's,  rebounding is just wanting it more.  Harrison had back to back 10 rebound games. 

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 10:11:28 PM »

NCAA springboard this year for greater success next season was precisely the target. Couple that with continued solid recruiting and we would be on our way to annual relevance, respectability and competitiveness. Too bad phase one did not come to fruition.

I think we will be relevant every year.  This is the most press I have seen for a st johns team since maybe 1999.  I think we all wanted it to be right away, well maybe it will take 5 years to start, but I rememeber what this city was like in the 80's for st john's and we are very close to getting it back again.

paultzman

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 10:18:05 PM »

I think we will be relevant every year.  This is the most press I have seen for a st johns team since maybe 1999.  I think we all wanted it to be right away, well maybe it will take 5 years to start, but I rememeber what this city was like in the 80's for st john's and we are very close to getting it back again.

We will see. Provided we keep this group together, I would assume it is reasonable to assume we will be in the Dance and do some damage next year. I am loathe to say I'm confident about that, since we are always plagued with drama around the program. Here's to a drama free year, no defections, a recruit or two with decent ability ,coaching improvement & the success we lifers deserve. Lol

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »

First off, did you see the attendance figures for St. John's this year?  The program is not getting back to relevancy.

Second, think about this logically.  Sure, next year will probably be an NCAA Tournament team assuming Obekpa comes back and they add more bigs to the equation.  But then what?  Harrison, Branch, Greene, Pointer will all be gone.  After how he looked in the 2nd half of this season, my guess is Jordan doesn't last to his junior year either.  Sampson is up in the air.

So we are back to square one.  Relying on another recruiting class to save our collective asses.  Here's the problem ... the coach hasn't shown an ability to bring kid's games along.  So I ask again?  Are things really so great?

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 10:36:21 PM »

First off, did you see the attendance figures for St. John's this year?  The program is not getting back to relevancy.

Second, think about this logically.  Sure, next year will probably be an NCAA Tournament team assuming Obekpa comes back and they add more bigs to the equation.  But then what?  Harrison, Branch, Greene, Pointer will all be gone.  After how he looked in the 2nd half of this season, my guess is Jordan doesn't last to his junior year either.  Sampson is up in the air.

So we are back to square one.  Relying on another recruiting class to save our collective asses.  Here's the problem ... the coach hasn't shown an ability to bring kid's games along.  So I ask again?  Are things really so great?

Give me me a break.  Yes he has, if you simply focus on the negative then you come to your conclusions.  You are just a constant whiner.

Start another thread.

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 10:42:34 PM »

Being relevent starts from a certain point and we got a lot of good press this year.  This is the first time I heard anyone mention st john's on talk radio.  And that has a lot to do with Lavin putting himself and the program outthere.  Success doesn't happen overnight, we were a dormant programfor over 10 years and we are just starting to build to a point of becoming a permanent fixture on the college basketball scene. 

I'm not trying to be a Lavin spokesperson but he was given a tough situation having to build a team from the ground up.  Getting into the NCAA's this year would have been great, but if we have to wait one more year then so be it.  Players will come and we will continue to get better, we have been there before and we will be there again.

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 11:42:02 PM »
How many people show up to our first round NIT game? 1,000?

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 01:46:50 AM »
Unless it's against Iona to see the Agony on Baldi's face of us beating them I'm done for the year.

This game took so much out of me. If I didn't view going to games as a social event to hang out with my friends I'd seriously consider not renewing. Probably that will change in a couple of days when the anger subsides but it speaks volumes about how angry I am right now because I haven't had this much anger since Norm's last 2 years

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 09:34:17 AM »
After four years, Lavin has clearly done some good things here. He has brought in terrific, tough players, many of them easy to root for. He ended the NCAA drought in his first year. But if it was unfair to minimize Lavin’s role that year — crediting Norm Roberts’ recruits and Mike Dunlap’s Xs and Os — it would be equally disingenuous to ignore that they should be farther along than this on his watch, and are instead relying on the kindness of committee strangers instead.

That they should have already put together an NCAA-worthy season with this team and these players, expectations Lavin himself courted — properly — and spoke about openly. He is about to be locked up to a sizable extension, and has earned a chance to push this farther.

But the bar is higher now. And Lavin has to be equal to those elevated hopes.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/13/early-struggles-mimic-the-season-as-a-whole-for-ousted-st-johns/

Vaccaro nailed it with that part of the article.  The increased expectations and the "higher bar" are the result of Lavin, that is a good thing. But by the same token he needs to start meeting those expectations or else he needs to be faulted for not doing so and that is how I feel.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:15:17 AM by fordham96 »

paultzman

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 09:45:11 AM »
After four years, Lavin has clearly done some good things here. He has brought in terrific, tough players, many of them easy to root for. He ended the NCAA drought in his first year. But if it was unfair to minimize Lavin’s role that year — crediting Norm Roberts’ recruits and Mike Dunlap’s Xs and Os — it would be equally disingenuous to ignore that they should be farther along than this on his watch, and are instead relying on the kindness of committee strangers instead.

That they should have already put together an NCAA-worthy season with this team and these players, expectations Lavin himself courted — properly — and spoke about openly. He is about to be locked up to a sizable extension, and has earned a chance to push this farther.

But the bar is higher now. And Lavin has to be equal to those elevated hopes.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/13/early-struggles-mimic-the-season-as-a-whole-for-ousted-st-johns/

Vaccaro nailed it with that part of the article.  The increased expectations and the "higher bar" are the result of Lavin, that is a good thing. But by the same token he needs to start meeting those expectations or else he needs to e faulted for not doing so and that is how I feel.

+1

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 10:21:14 AM »
Unless it's against Iona to see the Agony on Baldi's face of us beating them I'm done for the year.

This game took so much out of me. If I didn't view going to games as a social event to hang out with my friends I'd seriously consider not renewing. Probably that will change in a couple of days when the anger subsides but it speaks volumes about how angry I am right now because I haven't had this much anger since Norm's last 2 years

This! I can't get fired up over any other matchup in the bogus Nit

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 10:43:11 AM »
The NIT isn't bogus...but I thought it would be beneath us this year and going forward.

I predicted earlier that Lavin would be another Looie...a post season every year with the occasional NCAA tournament thrown in.  It could still be that way.  It's harder when players you recruit leave after a year or two.  Looie didn't have that problem.

Let's end the myth that Lavin is a "great" recruiter.  He's a good recruiter and I like the kids he got.  A great recruiter would pick up a Jabari or a Wiggens every year along with those kids.  That's what would make us a perennial top ten.  We could live with the ten blown layups a game, or being outrebounded by a team of Peter Dinklages if we had a super star to pick us up.

He also has little ability to motivate the team into playing 40 minutes.  Even without a superstar, we could have been a 25 game winner with possibly a trip to the sweet 16 if he could get the players to think the games are important.

He's an excuse maker.  His players become excuse makers.  It's easier to take failure when no one connected to the team uses the F word.

Next year should be better if everyone who can stay does stay.  Just expect the usual St John's high level of mediocrity we old timers have been used to through the decades.   

desco80

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »

Being relevent starts from a certain point and we got a lot of good press this year.  This is the first time I heard anyone mention st john's on talk radio.  And that has a lot to do with Lavin putting himself and the program outthere.  Success doesn't happen overnight, we were a dormant programfor over 10 years and we are just starting to build to a point of becoming a permanent fixture on the college basketball scene. 

I'm not trying to be a Lavin spokesperson but he was given a tough situation having to build a team from the ground up.  Getting into the NCAA's this year would have been great, but if we have to wait one more year then so be it.  Players will come and we will continue to get better, we have been there before and we will be there again.

Apparently you care alot more about being mentioned on Francessa's radio show than I do. 
We were "relevant" in the 80s and early 90s because the team won.   That's why they were the talk of the town, and on the back page of the papers.     You are misplacing your priorities if you think you should get relevant and that will lead to winning.    The natural course is the other way around, otherwise it's just artificial buzz that fans and recruits won't buy after awhile. 

Also, fwiw, Lavin was hired to coach and recruit.  I get that a coach is the face of the program, and all of that.   But a lot of what you guys are giving him credit for what is really the job of a PR Director or a person in Media Relations.   
Now obviously it helps when your coach isn't as boring as a cardboard box when he's interviewed; but getting the team mentioned on sports programs or in the paper really isn't his job.     

gman

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2014, 11:15:09 AM »

As for Coach trying to sell this season as not a failure if they don't make the NCAA's I don't have a problem with it.  Mind you I don't agree with it but I understand he doesn't want his kids to feel like failures by saying something like that.  So don't put too much into what he is saying.

Man I just can't get up for the NIT.

I disagree with that. No reason to baby grown men. The team should feel like failures, but instead of crying over it they should use it to fire them the hell up all off season. Any time I lose anything I think about it until I get a chance to redeem myself. These players should be waking up in puddles is sweat thinking about their lost opportunity.

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2014, 11:22:20 AM »

As for Coach trying to sell this season as not a failure if they don't make the NCAA's I don't have a problem with it.  Mind you I don't agree with it but I understand he doesn't want his kids to feel like failures by saying something like that.  So don't put too much into what he is saying.

Man I just can't get up for the NIT.

I disagree with that. No reason to baby grown men. The team should feel like failures, but instead of crying over it they should use it to fire them the hell up all off season. Any time I lose anything I think about it until I get a chance to redeem myself. These players should be waking up in puddles is sweat thinking about their lost opportunity.

Again they probably do but I don’t see how him saying that publically helps them.

There is no doubt in my mind they thought they were going to win yesterday and there is no doubt in my mind they think this season should be an NCAA season.  And both of those things did not come to fruition and that is hugely disappointing.

I just don’t see the purpose of being publically so negative.  He understands what he ultimately gets paid for.

pmg911

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2014, 11:44:53 AM »
I posted same in the game thread.  hard to go back to work, will be very difficult to go to garden tomorrow and saturday, not sure I will have much fun watching

And I thought we disagreed on everything..    agree with everything you posted in this thread.

I was set to go tomorrow night but not now.  I have zero interest.

Just mad at everyone now.  Will get over it but just mad, mad.

desco80

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2014, 12:15:46 PM »
I posted same in the game thread.  hard to go back to work, will be very difficult to go to garden tomorrow and saturday, not sure I will have much fun watching

And I thought we disagreed on everything..    agree with everything you posted in this thread.

I was set to go tomorrow night but not now.  I have zero interest.

Just mad at everyone now.  Will get over it but just mad, mad.

PMG, aren't you at least partially a Hall fan too?    You aren't convinced they can make a run here the next two days?

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2014, 02:41:27 PM »
I don't know if it was the 2003 NIT run SJU made but if SJU is in the NIT I will watch/attend if there is a home game and get pumped for it. I just love watching basketball and if my favorite team has a chance to win something I'm going to be behind them.

I'm hoping we will be talking about getting back to MSG for the NIT Final Four.