Questions for Next Year

• 96 replies
Re: Questions for Next Year
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 09:31:50 AM »
Baldi - all seriousness. Would you have told Armand to leave Iona last year to go to the D league?  He would have been picked up by a team. You wouldn't because he used this year to improve his game and maybe get on the radar for some predraft camps, etc.

Jordan can use next year to play his way into the first round and guaranteed millions. CO can use the next two years for the same. Different levels of players but same concept.

The way I look at it is, what upperclassmen have improved playing for this staff? Gods Gift? branch? Pointer?

Thank God Iona lost so you could get back to your natural calling: trolling SJ fans. Hopefully you shake the rust off by May though, because this is weak.

Been a busy year. I am a bit rusty. There is always next year though, Because we will all be having the same conversations

About how Iona couldn't even come out of the MAAC but is still somehow a better team than SJU?
Sorry Baldi, just bitter....

I'm bitter too. Neither team getting in the NCAA SUCKS
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:32:57 AM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 09:43:44 AM »
Please don't kill the messenger , I know I don't post as much. Work has been kicking my butt. However Just heard from a very viable source that seeing Chris  obekpa. Back next year is slim to none, either NBA or transfer. Leaning to NBA. Johnnies not all the way buried but hole is definitely dug.

If in fact true, then we are looking at a FC next year of Jakarr Sampson, Christian Jones, and possibly the Delarosa brothers.  In other words, we shouldn't expect much out of 2014-'15.

paultzman

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 09:45:34 AM »
Please don't kill the messenger , I know I don't post as much. Work has been kicking my butt. However Just heard from a very viable source that seeing Chris  obekpa. Back next year is slim to none, either NBA or transfer. Leaning to NBA. Johnnies not all the way buried but hole is definitely dug.

If in fact true, then we are looking at a FC next year of Jakarr Sampson, Christian Jones, and possibly the Delarosa brothers.  In other words, we shouldn't expect much out of 2014-'15.

Expect more spin.

MCNPA

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 09:46:17 AM »

Pointer back too at least.  Lavin better find somebody more ready than Delarosa though.

paultzman

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »

Pointer back too at least.  Lavin better find somebody more ready than Delarosa though.

Agree MCN. Respect ChileB's track record & candor. Hopefully Chris stays. Anyone who says we don't need him is incorrect IMO. He is not perfect, but is improving. To lose both he & Sanchez, without like substitutes will hurt.

I am getting so tired of the drama surrounding this program. Some say it is the nature of college basketball, but I believe we are far above the norm. We need to stabilize this program & avoid these disruptions in order to be consistently competitive. I don't care about how many of our players go to NBA, win BE awards, etc. Give me some heady four year players without baggage and sprinkle in some four star kids, coach your ass off & give it a whirl.

MCNPA

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2014, 10:12:21 AM »

Agree MCN. Respect ChileB's track record & candor. Hopefully Chris stays. Anyone who says we don't need him is incorrect IMO. He is not perfect, but is improving. To lose both he & Sanchez, without like substitutes will hurt.

I am getting so tired of the drama surrounding this program. Some say it is the nature of college basketball, but I believe we are far above the norm. We need to stabilize this program & avoid these disruptions in order to be consistently competitive. I don't care about how many of our players go to NBA, win BE awards, etc. Give me some heady four year players without baggage and sprinkle in some four star kids, coach your ass off & give it a whirl.

Agree.  Look at some of the guys that Wisconsin wins with.  My questions is where the talent we need is going to come from.  Say we land Delarosa.  He's still a long way from giving us decent minutes in the front court unless he has a transformational offseason.   He can replace gift.   The kid Henderson would probably be a much better replacement for Bourgault's ship.

Now we are talking about losing Sanchez AND Obekpa.  I can't see us being able to replace those guys with anybody I see out there at this point.  We are in essence screwed, and Christian Jones is nowhere near replacing either one of those guys. 

The article talks about "reinforcements" but at this point we are not reinforcing anything.  We seem to be struggling to even replace our losses with sufficient talent.

paultzman

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2014, 10:15:09 AM »

Agree.  Look at some of the guys that Wisconsin wins with.  My questions is where the talent we need is going to come from.  Say we land Delarosa.  He's still a long way from giving us decent minutes in the front court unless he has a transformational offseason.   He can replace gift.   The kid Henderson would probably be a much better replacement for Bourgault's ship.

Now we are talking about losing Sanchez AND Obekpa.  I can't see us being able to replace those guys with anybody I see out there at this point.  We are in essence screwed, and Christian Jones is nowhere near replacing either one of those guys. 

The article talks about "reinforcements" but at this point we are not reinforcing anything.  We seem to be struggling to even replace our losses with sufficient talent.

+1

MCNPA

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 10:19:04 AM »
Im hoping Lavin has some European on the back burner somewhere, or juco we don't know about.  I doubt it, but he always seems to come up with good recruiting classes.   I hope he pulls a rabbit out this year.

I would be happy with the addition of Delarosa, but we need much, much more.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:21:21 AM by MCNPA »

bk8664

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »

+1

I actually think with Jordan taking the reins from day one,  and with Harrison, Sampson and Obkepa coming back we'll be just fine.  That's a pretty formidable starting five. The bigs will be needed to absorb fouls.  Despite the disappointment this year, we really should be better next year.   

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 10:25:08 AM »
Im hoping Lavin has some European on the back burner somewhere, or juco we don't know about.  I doubt it, but he always seems to come up with good recruiting classes.   I hope he pulls a rabbit out this year.

I would be happy with the addition of Delarosa, but we need much, much more.

And no one leaves hopefully.

Johnny23

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2014, 10:27:01 AM »
If Obekpa leaves then this team is in huge trouble. Him, Sanchez and GG all gone. The Johnnies will get owned on the glass next year if this is true and they don't bring in any big bodies.

Lavin better be in Europe all spring looking for some of those thick 6'10 Croats and Serbs. Not sure why they haven't looked there sooner. Either that or look for some stateside but much of the top 150 2014 recruiting class has been locked up. Lavin must have something up his sleeve hopefully.

cjfish

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2014, 10:27:15 AM »
CO has to stay another year or transfer, he  is too thin to be effective in the pros, even in D league.(plus he has no offense and too many other weaknesses to list)  When he calms down he will realize that staying is in his best interests.  Transferring means losing time before he gets to the pros.  His attitude towards Lavin will improve after he realizes that the 3 fouls in 3 minutes was his own stupidity.  Sure, Lavin should have put him back in but if he was in a funk why bother, his mind was not on the game but on his anger.

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2014, 10:31:58 AM »
Jordan is coming back?

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2014, 10:32:03 AM »
CO has to stay another year or transfer, he  is too thin to be effective in the pros, even in D league.(plus he has no offense and too many other weaknesses to list)  When he calms down he will realize that staying is in his best interests.  Transferring means losing time before he gets to the pros.  His attitude towards Lavin will improve after he realizes that the 3 fouls in 3 minutes was his own stupidity.  Sure, Lavin should have put him back in but if he was in a funk why bother, his mind was not on the game but on his anger.

NIT game will tell a lot. If Lavin knows he refused to play or plans on leaving, then he will either be in street clothes or glued to the bench. There will be a lot of minutes for him here next year, but it's up to him to put in the work and grow as a basketball player.

TONYD3

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2014, 10:37:50 AM »
obekpa has it pretty good here. think it is crazy for him to leave.

boo3

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2014, 12:27:05 PM »
I thought Jordan left in December?

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2014, 12:32:55 PM »
I thought Jordan left in December?

That's when he was told to leave. 

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2014, 12:36:21 PM »
Jordan and Obekpa have great examples in GG, Pointer, Phil  etc  for improvement by working with the staff for years.

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2014, 01:06:25 PM »
Baldi - all seriousness. Would you have told Armand to leave Iona last year to go to the D league?  He would have been picked up by a team. You wouldn't because he used this year to improve his game and maybe get on the radar for some predraft camps, etc.

Jordan can use next year to play his way into the first round and guaranteed millions. CO can use the next two years for the same. Different levels of players but same concept.

The way I look at it is, what upperclassmen have improved playing for this staff? Gods Gift? branch? Pointer?

Thank God Iona lost so you could get back to your natural calling: trolling SJ fans. Hopefully you shake the rust off by May though, because this is weak.

Been a busy year. I am a bit rusty. There is always next year though, Because we will all be having the same conversations

Even taking into account the Lavin drag anchor effect I'd be stunned if this team (plus or minus one player) doesn't manage at least a first round loss next year.
Really? How can any St. John's fan be stunned regarding any negative development regarding this program?

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2014, 01:21:08 PM »
On WFAN this morning John Feinstein called this "a HUGE Disappointment for SJU and Lavin did a real bad coaching, and that even though he is an unquestioned recruiter, those old coaching issues from his UCLA days have not gone away". He also said the "BE is awful and it is unbelievable that this talented a SJU team could not be in the top 3 of the conference and not going to the tourney"