Questions for Next Year

• 96 replies

paultzman

Re: Questions for Next Year
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2014, 04:23:37 PM »
my memory of cedric jackson as a st. johns player was nothing amazing. I know he left and and did some good things. When he left here I wasnt mad. wouldnt be hard to find Dom making a block on the internet either. Felix is not the answer, just like max, just like marco. To say we need help at the 3 is fine, but do you really think Felix dominates in practice and never plays?

His skills had certainly not caught up to his athleticism and hustle during his time here.Give me kids that try all day.  Dom Pointer would never make it through a single practice of mine with the way he plays.  He's soft as dog sh*t and he doesn't even try.  I can't take kids that don't put forth effort.  He's one of the laziest players I've ever witnessed from his reaching and gambling to his complete lack of interest in following any shot on offense.  He is poison to this team and he needs to go.   

Balawho?  Balamou!

Marillac, is that top 150 kid you mentioned we are in on a power player, who can rebound? Thx

Unfortunately I have no inside info, Paultz.  It is just a strong feeling that Lavin will get it done once again on the recruiting trail.  With recruiting, in Lavin I trust.  I wish I had the same faith in terms of x's and o's and player development.

Mason is available to the right team and it would be crazy for Lavin to not throw everything at him.  He's such an efficient scorer and he draws fouls at such an absurd clip.  We'd be a different team with him.

Agree about Mason.  Would be good for us on our veteran team, and good exposure for him.  It seems as good as we can do at this point.  We need a SF with range to 3 desperately.  Laurier would have been perfect, but that ship sailed.

Larrier would have been great.  I would not be shocked to see his name in mock drafts before long.  It's crazy to think that the SF position did us in when Lavin signed  what seemed like all SFs in 2011:  Harkless, Garrett, Pointer, Sampson, etc.  What a glaring weakness for this team.
my memory of cedric jackson as a st. johns player was nothing amazing. I know he left and and did some good things. When he left here I wasnt mad. wouldnt be hard to find Dom making a block on the internet either. Felix is not the answer, just like max, just like marco. To say we need help at the 3 is fine, but do you really think Felix dominates in practice and never plays?

His skills had certainly not caught up to his athleticism and hustle during his time here.Give me kids that try all day.  Dom Pointer would never make it through a single practice of mine with the way he plays.  He's soft as dog sh*t and he doesn't even try.  I can't take kids that don't put forth effort.  He's one of the laziest players I've ever witnessed from his reaching and gambling to his complete lack of interest in following any shot on offense.  He is poison to this team and he needs to go.   

Balawho?  Balamou!

Marillac, is that top 150 kid you mentioned we are in on a power player, who can rebound? Thx

Unfortunately I have no inside info, Paultz.  It is just a strong feeling that Lavin will get it done once again on the recruiting trail.  With recruiting, in Lavin I trust.  I wish I had the same faith in terms of x's and o's and player development.

Mason is available to the right team and it would be crazy for Lavin to not throw everything at him.  He's such an efficient scorer and he draws fouls at such an absurd clip.  We'd be a different team with him.

Thx! Did see in a recent NY Times article it is likely Mason is leaving. Agree he could help.

Do you know if Joey Delarosa is on a scholarship or is he a walkon?  Some many talented kids could be available:  Mason, Lawrence, etc.

Don't know

RedVet

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2014, 04:24:32 PM »

Balawho?  Balamou!

We're talking about next year. Wouldn't Mason have to sit out next year if he were to transfer?

goredmen

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2014, 04:41:07 PM »

Balawho?  Balamou!

We're talking about next year. Wouldn't Mason have to sit out next year if he were to transfer?

No he graduated and would get the grad-school waiver

MCNPA

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2014, 04:56:00 PM »
Interesting how nobody has commented on the last of the writer's points regarding the fan support or rather the lack thereof.  I totally agree with him and I am sick of people saying they can't afford tickets.  Purchasing tickets is an "entertainment" choice that each of us makes.  You decide how to spend any excess cash you might have. 
You choose where to spend it.  I have given up certain other "entertainment" purchases in order to get my season tickets.  You'd be surprised where you can find the money.  give up going to see the Yanks or Mets; give up going to a few movies: give up a hockey game and you have the cost of a season ticket.  Or you can do what I did when younger for Ranger season tickets--I shared the ticket with some others (4 of us would chip in and buy 2 season tickets and split the games).
The team needs more support.  They ain't gonna get better without it and a LOUD MSG is a heck of a lot more fun and exciting for us fans who go to the games.   

Perennial disappointment has chipped away at the fan base.  Look where we are now.  Nit again.  Program will have to win ie.  NCAA tournament consistently to get fans back.  I've been following and have had season tickets forever.  I didn't make a lot of games this season because to tell the truth,  the disappointment always comes back.  The 0-5 start in big east play and lots of the potential fans wrote SJU for the rest of the season.  None of this is the fans fault.  We NEVER make the NCAA tournament.   If I'm sick and tired of it, you can bet many others are too. 

Blame the fans if after three years in a row of making the tourney, we aren't drawing anybody.  As of now, we are decades from the last time we were good and that hurts the attendance more than anything.

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2014, 05:01:08 PM »
Very realistic analysis MCNPA! Agree wholeheartedly. I was looking forward to our 3 game in 8 days home stand in January at Carnessecca but I missed all 3 partly because of a death in the family, partly because of the weather and partly because I was down on the team.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:01:55 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2014, 07:44:58 PM »
The sense of entitlement on this board is shameful. Where were the fans when we played Providence? They had more fans there than we did.  Think about how bad that reflects on this fan base. There were more Creighton fans at our game  than SJU did! Some on this board are vociferous in attacking out players and staff. But they don't care enough to even see the game in person. If you are not there to cheer, why do you have the right to boo? If you care, comes out to support the team. Instead, posters  bitch about ticket prices. Why aren't t tickets sold for ten dollars they ask? When was the last time ten dollars paid for anything but a short cab ride? Or posters  say ,I will go when the team wins. Cool, do that, but don't call yourself a fan. If you want a big time program, it costs money, and if this fan base does not want to spend any, you don't deserve a big time program. It is as simple as that. There are even some on this board who say we should turn down the NIT. How silly and shortsighted can one be? The NIT pays the school money. The program needs money to compete. We should just leave those dollars on the table? It is fine to have an opinion. You can even voice it. But is it too much to ask that before you post, you spend two minutes thinking about the implications of what you are saying. It is just as well the season is almost over because some on this board are making it difficult to visit.

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
The sense of entitlement on this board is shameful. Where were the fans when we played Providence? They had more fans there than we did.  Think about how bad that reflects on this fan base. There were more Creighton fans at our game  than SJU did! Some on this board are vociferous in attacking out players and staff. But they don't care enough to even see the game in person. If you are not there to cheer, why do you have the right to boo? If you care, comes out to support the team. Instead, posters  bitch about ticket prices. Why aren't t tickets sold for ten dollars they ask? When was the last time ten dollars paid for anything but a short cab ride? Or posters  say ,I will go when the team wins. Cool, do that, but don't call yourself a fan. If you want a big time program, it costs money, and if this fan base does not want to spend any, you don't deserve a big time program. It is as simple as that. There are even some on this board who say we should turn down the NIT. How silly and shortsighted can one be? The NIT pays the school money. The program needs money to compete. We should just leave those dollars on the table? It is fine to have an opinion. You can even voice it. But is it too much to ask that before you post, you spend two minutes thinking about the implications of what you are saying. It is just as well the season is almost over because some on this board are making it difficult to visit.

Most people have jobs and have work obligations at 2 PM on a Tuesday.  It's easy to take 3 days off and travel to New York when you're a Creighton fan living in the middle of nowhere knowing that even if Creighton loses you are still on vacation. Hard for a native New Yorker who can see the team play whenever to take a day off work on short notice.

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2014, 08:15:46 PM »

Most people have jobs and have work obligations at 2 PM on a Tuesday.  It's easy to take 3 days off and travel to New York when you're a Creighton fan living in the middle of nowhere knowing that even if Creighton loses you are still on vacation. Hard for a native New Yorker who can see the team play whenever to take a day off work on short notice.

So its easier to take a vacation for a basketball tournament then to take a half day off of work?

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2014, 08:16:26 PM »
I think the schedule was poor for big draws this year.  Need more Saturday games or Sunday afternoon games.  Tuesday nights are tricky, especially late at MSG.  In addition, we draw like a team that never, ever makes he field of 64 and we don't.  What have we made it 2 or 3 times since I was 21 and I'm 38 now? 

It's impossible to manufacture excitement on past and current results.  You can market the shit out of it, but people expect SJU to not go anywhere, and they always get what they expect.  It makes the SJU ticket a "take it or leave it". 

Fwiw,  for extending Lavin because I don't think we want to start over now and I am not sure we can find a guy with a better vision for our program.  I believe he knows the formula for winning but some idiosyncrasies certainly cloud our future.  Right now continuity is good.  Nobody can blame the fans though.  They need a season or two of positive results before buying in.  If a stock underperforms for 20 years,  there's rarely a lot of action and not many are aggressively buying.  Sju had been a "sell" until now, and is in a permanent "hold".

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2014, 08:28:36 PM »
Here's the audio of Rothstein from this am.....http://newyork.cbslocal.com/audio/865-wfan-audio/

Must have been Feinstein because Rothstein, besides saying that the season was a disappointment,  didn't say any of the stuff WASJU mentioned.

What do I know though..  ;)

Around 11:30 or 12 with Roberts. Just happened to catch it on radio as I was running errands
Roberts specifically asked about ST John's and Feinstein said as he said on his cbs sports spot and said what I quoted him saying
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:30:18 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2014, 01:05:22 AM »
Sense of entitlement exacerbated by ridiculous excuses. One guys says it  is easier for people to come all the way from Nebraska! Amazing. Are you serious? Another cries the schedule is not convenient--as if the  games should be scheduled for his convenience! Duh, do you realize the games are scheduled around tv because the program needs the money to compete. The basketball program loses money as it is.  Now we have to clear dates with our fan base before we schedule games!!! The best excuse--I am too jaded and can't get excited. Fine, but you sure have time to type away on this board like all these other nattering nabobs of negativity. News flash. The team needs your support now, not after a few years of success! Decision time--are you a fan? If so, act the part. Don't just sit there and type. And for the guy who said most people have to work on Tuesdays---the game was on Thursday. Nice try. And try and tell me that was the only game you missed, and you were there for every weekend and weekday night game. Yeah, right. Sickening. And these are supposedly the core of our fan base.

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2014, 02:17:03 AM »
Sense of entitlement exacerbated by ridiculous excuses. One guys says it  is easier for people to come all the way from Nebraska! Amazing. Are you serious? Another cries the schedule is not convenient--as if the  games should be scheduled for his convenience! Duh, do you realize the games are scheduled around tv because the program needs the money to compete. The basketball program loses money as it is.  Now we have to clear dates with our fan base before we schedule games!!! The best excuse--I am too jaded and can't get excited. Fine, but you sure have time to type away on this board like all these other nattering nabobs of negativity. News flash. The team needs your support now, not after a few years of success! Decision time--are you a fan? If so, act the part. Don't just sit there and type. And for the guy who said most people have to work on Tuesdays---the game was on Thursday. Nice try. And try and tell me that was the only game you missed, and you were there for every weekend and weekday night game. Yeah, right. Sickening. And these are supposedly the core of our fan base.

+1000

Johnny23

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2014, 08:51:42 AM »
Sense of entitlement exacerbated by ridiculous excuses.  :2funny: Are you serious? Another cries the schedule is not convenient--as if the  games should be scheduled for his convenience! Duh, do you realize the games are scheduled around tv because the program needs the money to compete. The basketball program loses money as it is.  Now we have to clear dates with our fan base before we schedule games!!! The best excuse--I am too jaded and can't get excited. Fine, but you sure have time to type away on this board like all these other nattering nabobs of negativity. News flash. The team needs your support now, not after a few years of success! Decision time--are you a fan? If so, act the part. Don't just sit there and type. And for the guy who said most people have to work on Tuesdays---the game was on Thursday. Nice try. And try and tell me that was the only game you missed, and you were there for every weekend and weekday night game. Yeah, right. Sickening. And these are supposedly the core of our fan base.

That was quite amusing.

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2014, 09:32:14 AM »
Please don't kill the messenger , I know I don't post as much. Work has been kicking my butt. However Just heard from a very viable source that seeing Chris  obekpa. Back next year is slim to none, either NBA or transfer. Leaning to NBA. Johnnies not all the way buried but hole is definitely dug.

The hole is only dug because we haven't recruited anybody besides Delarosa this season.  If we had recruited 3-4 legit players, we'd have no problem.  Now there's not much left on the board.

We finally agree on something.  But when you look at it, it is not just the recruiting woes of this season, its of the last two recruiting seasons when Lavin went 0-16 on front court recruits

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2014, 09:38:59 AM »
Here's the audio of Rothstein from this am.....http://newyork.cbslocal.com/audio/865-wfan-audio/

Must have been Feinstein because Rothstein, besides saying that the season was a disappointment,  didn't say any of the stuff WASJU mentioned.

What do I know though..  ;)

OH I get it. You are implying I made it up. Was driving around doing errands was at a light and put on FAN. Not exactly sure of time but John Feinstein who has a pretty distinctive voice, who wrote Season on the Brink and does those CBS sports minute things on the Fan said pretty much verbatim what I said he said. Did not have a Dictaphone or tape recorder with me, so it might not be exactly word for word but close enough. Maybe Roberts had Rothstein on as well, but guy I heard almost positive was Feinstein.

« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2014, 09:44:00 AM »
Please don't kill the messenger , I know I don't post as much. Work has been kicking my butt. However Just heard from a very viable source that seeing Chris  obekpa. Back next year is slim to none, either NBA or transfer. Leaning to NBA. Johnnies not all the way buried but hole is definitely dug.

If in fact true, then we are looking at a FC next year of Jakarr Sampson, Christian Jones, and possibly the Delarosa brothers.  In other words, we shouldn't expect much out of 2014-'15.

Pointer back too at least.  Lavin better find somebody more ready than Delarosa though.

Agree MCN. Respect ChileB's track record & candor. Hopefully Chris stays. Anyone who says we don't need him is incorrect IMO. He is not perfect, but is improving. To lose both he & Sanchez, without like substitutes will hurt.

I am getting so tired of the drama surrounding this program. Some say it is the nature of college basketball, but I believe we are far above the norm. We need to stabilize this program & avoid these disruptions in order to be consistently competitive. I don't care about how many of our players go to NBA, win BE awards, etc. Give me some heady four year players without baggage and sprinkle in some four star kids, coach your ass off & give it a whirl.

Agree.  Look at some of the guys that Wisconsin wins with.  My questions is where the talent we need is going to come from.  Say we land Delarosa.  He's still a long way from giving us decent minutes in the front court unless he has a transformational offseason.   He can replace gift.   The kid Henderson would probably be a much better replacement for Bourgault's ship.

Now we are talking about losing Sanchez AND Obekpa.  I can't see us being able to replace those guys with anybody I see out there at this point.  We are in essence screwed, and Christian Jones is nowhere near replacing either one of those guys. 

The article talks about "reinforcements" but at this point we are not reinforcing anything.  We seem to be struggling to even replace our losses with sufficient talent.

Great points but let me add this.  In terms of where the talent is going to come from, its called DEVELOPING PLAYERS.  For example, if anyone remembers Tyler Harris as a high school player, he was weak, awkward and not on anyones high priority list.  In fact, Lavin and staff didn't even give him a sniff. Yet if anyone noticed against the Johnnies in the BE tourney, he killed us on put backs and outplayed many of our "highly rated" recruits/players.  So in answer to your question, where does the talent come from, a good portion of the talent on any college team is developed.  Ed Cooley did a great job with Tyler.  Unfortunately as we have seen to date with such highly rated recruits as Obekpa (who still has a minimal offensive game) Pointer (rated top 25 out of high school by Rivals and others) and other players too numerous to name, no one developed.  Do you actually believe that even Marco or Max would not have been contributors in the right system that would set up down screens etc. for them.  Or that Pointer could be a dominating force with his size and athleticism if he was developed. This is one of my biggest concerns with Lavin and the staff, as no coach (except Cal Coach K and a few others) are going to get 4 and 5 star players on a regular basis.

« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2014, 10:50:24 AM »

If in fact true, then we are looking at a FC next year of Jakarr Sampson, Christian Jones, and possibly the Delarosa brothers.  In other words, we shouldn't expect much out of 2014-'15.

Pointer back too at least.  Lavin better find somebody more ready than Delarosa though.

Agree MCN. Respect ChileB's track record & candor. Hopefully Chris stays. Anyone who says we don't need him is incorrect IMO. He is not perfect, but is improving. To lose both he & Sanchez, without like substitutes will hurt.

I am getting so tired of the drama surrounding this program. Some say it is the nature of college basketball, but I believe we are far above the norm. We need to stabilize this program & avoid these disruptions in order to be consistently competitive. I don't care about how many of our players go to NBA, win BE awards, etc. Give me some heady four year players without baggage and sprinkle in some four star kids, coach your ass off & give it a whirl.

Agree.  Look at some of the guys that Wisconsin wins with.  My questions is where the talent we need is going to come from.  Say we land Delarosa.  He's still a long way from giving us decent minutes in the front court unless he has a transformational offseason.   He can replace gift.   The kid Henderson would probably be a much better replacement for Bourgault's ship.

Now we are talking about losing Sanchez AND Obekpa.  I can't see us being able to replace those guys with anybody I see out there at this point.  We are in essence screwed, and Christian Jones is nowhere near replacing either one of those guys. 

The article talks about "reinforcements" but at this point we are not reinforcing anything.  We seem to be struggling to even replace our losses with sufficient talent.

Great points but let me add this.  In terms of where the talent is going to come from, its called DEVELOPING PLAYERS.  For example, if anyone remembers Tyler Harris as a high school player, he was weak, awkward and not on anyones high priority list.  In fact, Lavin and staff didn't even give him a sniff. Yet if anyone noticed against the Johnnies in the BE tourney, he killed us on put backs and outplayed many of our "highly rated" recruits/players.  So in answer to your question, where does the talent come from, a good portion of the talent on any college team is developed.  Ed Cooley did a great job with Tyler.  Unfortunately as we have seen to date with such highly rated recruits as Obekpa (who still has a minimal offensive game) Pointer (rated top 25 out of high school by Rivals and others) and other players too numerous to name, no one developed.  Do you actually believe that even Marco or Max would not have been contributors in the right system that would set up down screens etc. for them.  Or that Pointer could be a dominating force with his size and athleticism if he was developed. This is one of my biggest concerns with Lavin and the staff, as no coach (except Cal Coach K and a few others) are going to get 4 and 5 star players on a regular basis.

I couldn't agree more.  People get to caught up in player rankings out of high school and I can be lumped in this group because talent wins on this level and at any level and the higher the star and more prolific the player we automatically think these kids should be super stars..  In actuallity, most of the 4 star kids and 3 star kids, you could flip a coin as to who will be the better player in college.. We have talent but it's flawed.  Give me a team strategy and personal like Beiline at Michigan has next year with a mix of our guys and some smart iq players and things will change in a heartbeat.

desco80

« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2014, 02:42:29 PM »
If Chilleb is right, next season will be over before it starts.   
Delarosa is not ready to start.   Few freshmen are, and I don't see any way he can give us the 25+ mins of rebounding and defense we'll need.   Not because he's fat, it's just incredibly difficult to step in and bang with guys who are older and know how to box out, move without the ball, etc.   

This is where Lavin needs to step up.   His strength is his ability to connect with people and communicate.   He's got to find a way to keep Obekpa in the fold. 

Also, and I'm sure this will be discussed all summer, but Christian Jones is a huge question mark.  If anybody here says they know what to expect from him ..they're lying.  He could be great or he could disappoint, we have so little to go on its hard to know what to expect. 

MCNPA

« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2014, 02:43:56 PM »

I make as many as I can.  With 3 young kids, working nights and living out in Suffolk it isn't always easy.  I'm just saying that the biggest part of our attendance problem is that we aren't successful and haven't been. 

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2014, 03:04:01 PM »

I make as many as I can.  With 3 young kids, working nights and living out in Suffolk it isn't always easy.  I'm just saying that the biggest part of our attendance problem is that we aren't successful and haven't been. 

Everyone has personal reasons why they can't attend all, most, some, or even any, games.  Whether it is work or family obligations, or financial restrictions.  Those are all understandable.  If, however, one loves a team, I don't understand saying that you just won't go to games until they start winning.