Hammer to the Rock

• 33 replies
Hammer to the Rock
« on: March 25, 2014, 04:33:02 PM »
The Rock won...

Re: Hammer to the Rock
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »
I root hard for the team and want to see some success. But Lavin talks so much and it seems like hollow words. Just when it seems the team can be good the rug gets pulled from under are feet! Actions next year no more excuses.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 05:16:20 PM »
I don't know why guys hang so much on what Lavin says.  He puts a positive spin on everything.  So what.  Just ignore the fluff and only pay attention to the substantive statements.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 05:18:15 PM »
I don't know why guys hang so much on what Lavin says.  He puts a positive spin on everything.  So what.  Just ignore the fluff and only pay attention to the substantive statements.

+1.

DFF6

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »

+1.

OK, so when Obekpa declares within the next few days/weeks and Lavin doesn't acknowledge the gravity of the situation, should we still just ignore the fluff?  Not trying to be confrontational, but at what point should the captain of the Titanic be called out for saying "don't worry, it's just a small leak"?  FWIW, I hate that my post reads like a needs2go retread.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 06:39:18 PM »
Hammer to rock is the biggest bunch of bs championed by Lavin and Fratto. Truth is, nothing in this program right now embodies hammer to rock. Not the way we play, not the way we recruit. No one is fooled anymore. 

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 06:42:19 PM »

+1.

OK, so when Obekpa declares within the next few days/weeks and Lavin doesn't acknowledge the gravity of the situation, should we still just ignore the fluff?  Not trying to be confrontational, but at what point should the captain of the Titanic be called out for saying "don't worry, it's just a small leak"?  FWIW, I hate that my post reads like a needs2go retread.

What's it really hurt? He's going to be an optimist until he gets let go or succeeds. What is so wrong about that? Some people are natural optimists, he appears to be one of them. There's no need to get riled up after every quote. It's much easier on you if you just accept that is who he is.

cjfish

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 06:45:36 PM »
Mr. Happy cant talk Sampson into staying, has recruiting no one to date, CO may be leaving.  "the ship be sinking"

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 06:48:02 PM »
I would hope the school gets a president in place sooner rather than later so this disaster can end.
Lavin has obviously stopped working and his BS will only carry him so far.
Time to move on

SJUFAN

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 06:48:59 PM »
My only problem is this team wasn't good enough even with Sampson and Obekpa to not focus on the 14' class. Why just 15' and 16'? 14' class hasn't signed yet but it appears staff may have dropped the ball on that.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 06:52:57 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 06:49:09 PM »
That win streak in the middle of the season might end up being the worst thing to happen this year.

Almost to the point of Norm where we are rooting for losing.

DFF6

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 06:59:41 PM »

+1.

What's it really hurt? He's going to be an optimist until he gets let go or succeeds. What is so wrong about that? Some people are natural optimists, he appears to be one of them. There's no need to get riled up after every quote. It's much easier on you if you just accept that is who he is.

In my mind, it's a credability issue.  It's like dealing with clients who want results and you fail to deliver them.  You can only positively spin failure for so long before no one believes a word you say. 

tnice

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 07:28:42 PM »
I don't know why guys hang so much on what Lavin says.  He puts a positive spin on everything. 
Or, as some people call it, lying.

uwsfan

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »
My only problem is this team wasn't good enough even with Sampson and Obekpa to not focus on the 14' class. Why just 15' and 16'? 14' class hasn't signed yet but it appears staff may have dropped the ball on that.

That vaunted 2015 class we were anticipating at the beginning of this season was predicated on the team having a very successful year.
That highly ranked class is no longer coming. Briscoe isnt coming. Diallo isnt coming. A highly ranked elite class isnt coming. Lavin cant win with mediocre talent. Extending him now makes no sense. Only stupidity and laziness on the part of Monash and the admin are keeping Lavin from being gone yesterday.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 07:54:08 PM »

+1.

Honestly, what are you looking for him to say?  He's trying to be positive about a crap situation.

I have a lot of complaints against him, but trying to be an optimist on Twitter isn't one of them.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 07:55:06 PM »

Without hype, what do we have? We certainly don't have results.

MCNPA

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 08:01:27 PM »

+1.

Honestly, what are you looking for him to say?  He's trying to be positive about a crap situation.

I have a lot of complaints against him, but trying to be an optimist on Twitter isn't one of them.

He should be saying nothing.  Just supporting Jakarr.  Then heading out to sign some recruits.  Instead he is saying damaging things.  His quotes are embarrassing and insulting to the fan base. If he wants to try to fool people, he should try to sign some players and hope they work out, not say that we are competitive with what we have, because we aren't. 

We got housed in the nit, are losing two if not more of our best forwards.  How are we going to be better or even hit the same levels without bringing in anybody??  It's idiotic to say so.  Lavin should be on a plane today, to Lithuania Nigeria, or somewhere to find forwards that can play instead of lying to the fan base.  Because if he's not lying and actually believes this, we are in even worse shape...

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »
I don't get it. What is he saying that's so damaging to our program?  It's clear to everybody that he's not going to land a monster 2014 class. That's been clear for awhile. All he can do is try to recruit the remaining players (which I'm sure he's doing), hope a few players de-commit in light of coaching changes, and be on the lookout for transfers who can play on day one. Hopefully, he can grab 2 or 3 guys and one will emerge as a solid post presence for us. That's honestly all we can hope for at this moment.

I'm just done ripping into Lavin and his staff. Am I disappointed by what I've seen? Of course I am. But it's not going to change anything. He'll be here next year and my hope here is that he and his assistants can find a way to get this team to gel. Sure, I can sit here and bitch about him all day and how Masiello or Hurley would do it better. But honestly who the hell knows if that is true.

One thing I will say is this. We as fans, myself included, are always pining for these top recruits. And I get it because they come in and contribute from day one. But we are a team that is suffering the consequences of that strategy also. Whereas DJ Kennedy and Paris Horne stayed 4 years and developed along the way, our top recruits are looking to move in from the first day they step on campus. It's a very dangerous game and by the looks of it, we are paying the price. Maybe the key is to focus on that 2nd or 3rd group of players and get the ones who actually want to be here. And are willing to bust their ass from the get go.

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 09:04:58 PM »
I'm the last supporter standing it seems.  Even freaking MCNPA turned today! Here is why I am still hanging on by a thread....

-The sheer # of impact transfers and potential transfers this season is absolutely absurd, and we have ties to many of them (Mason, Lawrence, Calhoun)
- I think ADR will give us more than most believe and his brother is a huge body with experience and five fouls to give.  He was a top 150 kid...honestly how much worse than GG could he be?
-I think Balamou will break out and I would love to see him as the four in a four guard lineup because he plays much bigger than 6'4
-Lavin knew this was coming...that is why he said he would add 3-4 players when we only had three ships available.  He wouldn't say that unless he has some seeds planted.
-We had HORRIBLE post defense this year.  Sanchez was abysmal and Sampson was not far behind.  We didn't box anybody out ever and there is no way we could be worse.
-I love Sampson...Great kid and I will cheer for him...but he killed us in so many ways.  His jumpers took the offense out of rhythm very often, he missed clutch FTs on a regular basis, he had a ton of stupid fouls, he was good for 3-4 really bad mistakes every game, and he was a terrible screener.  CO would be a bigger loss, but both are very replaceable. 
-It's possible a kid like Joey or Adonis Delarosa could give us more than Sampson down low if they just set solid screens, box out, and defend.  That's not asking a lot. 
-Our back court is potentially one of the best in the country and I think defense will be the focus this off season after the way the season ended. 

Mostly reason #1.

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 09:17:28 PM »
I'm the last supporter standing it seems.  Even freaking MCNPA turned today! Here is why I am still hanging on by a thread....

-The sheer # of impact transfers and potential transfers this season is absolutely absurd, and we have ties to many of them (Mason, Lawrence, Calhoun)
- I think ADR will give us more than most believe and his brother is a huge body with experience and five fouls to give.  He was a top 150 kid...honestly how much worse than GG could he be?
-I think Balamou will break out and I would love to see him as the four in a four guard lineup because he plays much bigger than 6'4
-Lavin knew this was coming...that is why he said he would add 3-4 players when we only had three ships available.  He wouldn't say that unless he has some seeds planted.
-We had HORRIBLE post defense this year.  Sanchez was abysmal and Sampson was not far behind.  We didn't box anybody out ever and there is no way we could be worse.
-I love Sampson...Great kid and I will cheer for him...but he killed us in so many ways.  His jumpers took the offense out of rhythm very often, he missed clutch FTs on a regular basis, he had a ton of stupid fouls, he was good for 3-4 really bad mistakes every game, and he was a terrible screener.  CO would be a bigger loss, but both are very replaceable. 
-It's possible a kid like Joey or Adonis Delarosa could give us more than Sampson down low if they just set solid screens, box out, and defend.  That's not asking a lot. 
-Our back court is potentially one of the best in the country and I think defense will be the focus this off season after the way the season ended. 

Mostly reason #1.

+1. Things are not nearly as bad as reading this board will make it seem.

My dad is a casual St. John's fan who doesn't follow forums or anything like that. While disappointed with the season, he was genuinely shocked when I told him how the majority of this board is ready to move on from the Lavin Era. He said that in 2 out 4 seasons he actually got to watch the Johnnies play meaningful basketball in March, which is a change from the previous decade.