State of the Union

• 79 replies
Re: State of the Union
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2014, 09:21:30 PM »
Masiello  would be the only guy who would take this job next year. A real good coach would never come here with the roster being as bare as it's going to be next year. St. John's name holds no aura anymore and most teams play in bigger arenas than MSG anyway. The administration has a decision to make do you want to be relevant again or are you content with being mediocre.
"bigger arenas than MSG? Not many. "Bigger" in the sense that big games will make it bigger - yes, that has been the case for 3 years.  Maybe not Briscoe, but there's other players that REALLY want to play in MSG.  The Beast tourney was always evidence of this fact.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:23:53 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2014, 09:25:02 PM »
We all knew that Lavin couldn't coach.
We thought that he could recruit, but at ST. John's he can't.

With no frontcourt besides Obekpa, we won't get to the NCAA again.

So why keep Lavin?

Best post I've seen in awhile. Think of it this way. What coach has come here in last 25 years  and been successful?  Jarvis ? Fran?  Time to start thinking differently

Fran was successful IMO. He landed McDonald's kids. He found true sleepers. He wasn't super sweet and nice to all of the players, but his job wasn't to be a buddy.

Fran  recruited my brother. It was between my brother and Ted Ellis to run the point at Manhattan College. Fran called and said they just signed Ellis. Ellis led Manhattan to a win in the tourney against I believe Ok St.? , but shortly after molested a girl with a mop handle
It was Oklahoma.  And Kelvin Sampson was saaaaaalty in the interview after the loss.  I vivdly remember his sore loser attitude: "The better team didn't win today..."  Didn't even congratulate or recognize Manhattan one Iona, I mean iota - lol  I didn't know about your brother at all - where did he wind up going?

st Francis, Brooklyn

LJSA

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2014, 09:25:53 PM »
Yea.  It's far enough in the past that I think the person  who told me wont mind me repeating it.   But apparently Dunlap was interested in coming back for little $$ since the Bobcats were still paying him, but he was told "thanks, but no thanks"

I guess the genius thought he had everything under control and didn't want to be overshadowed.

Ugh

TONYD3

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2014, 09:27:38 PM »
 Their is a reason he is coaching at loyal Marymount . Guy isn't perfect.

boo3

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
 Important thing is to support the kids on the team this season. Kids like Harrison, Greene, Pointer, and Branch have stuck it out and deserve a shot to play in the tourney...  Hope they have a successful season

desco80

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2014, 09:34:32 PM »
Their is a reason he is coaching at loyal Marymount . Guy isn't perfect.

And a year earlier he was an NBA head coach.  What's your point?

He's not perfect of course, but from every account he is very good at teaching the game to players.   We could benefit from that tremendously.   No offense to Rico or Whitesell  but they don't have that same reputation. 

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2014, 09:37:32 PM »
HopefullyDanny Hurley will be willing to come to this coaching suicide school after the year.

Lavin makes too much money for them to keep him around. He's not norm who they gor on the cheap.

Next season will be one of the worst teams St. John's has ever put on the court.

TONYD3

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2014, 09:39:13 PM »
My point is their is a reason he was fired when he was doing a good job. Bobcats were getting better. Players hated him. Not sure our current players liked him either. Doesn't matter. We are 0-0. Opening night tommorow. lavin still the coach, hopefully he does well

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2014, 09:41:49 PM »
our guys seem to be taking it well...

Sheed:
CONGRATS LIL HOME ON COMMITTING TO KENTUCKY @zaaay_ #EAT

bighomieiv  (phil) 39 minutes ago
@zaaay_ turn up my nigga

somebody must've told him to take it down. not up anymore.

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2014, 10:00:48 PM »
Tim Cluess

Tha Kid

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2014, 10:28:49 PM »
mark Jackson needs a job right?  Rumor is bobre is social media director if that happens.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2014, 10:38:32 PM »

Sheed:

@zaaay_ turn up my nigga

Did you notice Briscoe's comment #HA
interesting to say the least

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2014, 10:45:19 PM »
Lavin just went from the hot seat to the ejector seat.

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2014, 10:50:36 PM »
Important thing is to support the kids on the team this season. Kids like Harrison, Greene, Pointer, and Branch have stuck it out and deserve a shot to play in the tourney...  Hope they have a successful season

hit the spot man, like said in the other thread, this is the lowest I've ever been on our program. I'm going to root as hard as I can for these seniors, these guys committed back when the program was like it was now...pretty toxic, just a glimmer of hope in a sham of a coach.

I hope these guys can get to the tourney and make some noise, and I hope that SJU will see through the BS and can this clown at the end of the year.

I think we all understand that now no kid in the top 150 is going to touch us. We are going to grab a mess of sketchy transfers, JUCO question marks and lower D1 talent.

As an eternal optimist, I do still see a scenario where this team can get ranked, play well, and get a little positive attention on us. However I don't know if it would be enough to get anyone to commit. We needed another Moe for this class, and that Moe just popped for Kentucky.

I'm rambling at this point, but yeah, i'm really down, but the main point is to keep rooting for this years team.

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2014, 10:51:32 PM »
Hurley

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2014, 10:52:31 PM »

Sheed:

@zaaay_ turn up my nigga

Did you notice Briscoe's comment #HA
interesting to say the least

I did notice that, and in fact it made me wonder if some guys on our team actively trashed Lavin and the program to Briscoe....

ras

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2014, 10:55:26 PM »
What was IBs comment?

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2014, 10:57:01 PM »
#HA

was his comment, so basically laughing.

Rysheed congratulated him, and so did Phil Greene, and he responds with HA. makes you wonder....

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2014, 11:34:37 PM »
Man, today just sucked.  I woke up thinking that it was going to be a great day for St. John's, but in the end more disappointment.  Things that I'm going to try to adopt going forward.

(1) Stop believing that this program actually has a chance at getting 5 star recruits.  I know they got Rysheed Jordan a year ago, but realistically this school is not a viable option for top level talent.  A coach might be able to get the occasional 3 or 4 star kid, but 5 star recruits are going to schools like Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, etc.  Once they get exposed to those schools, it's over.

(2) Stop talking about Lavin's employment situation.  Honestly, who cares right now?  We are a day away from the season and he's the coach.  Yes, I think he's a horrible in game coach.  Yes, I think we've seen tremendous flaws in his recruiting strategy.  But nonetheless, he is the coach of the 2014-'15 Johnnies.  I see 3 possible options come March/April.  One is he has a very good season and pieces together an average recruiting class (unlikely) and gets an extension.  Two is he has a very good season, realizes that the team is going to be terrible next year, and bolts for greener pastures.  Three is the team sucks it up due to lack of big men and he gets fired.  No matter what the finale is, it's not happening for 5 months so who really cares right now?  I have full faith that a smart administrator such as Gempesaw will get this right.

(3) Just root for this current group of players.  Our guards are probably the best in the conference and I'm expecting a big improvement out of Obekpa's game.  I think they are going to have a real tough time against bigger, stronger teams but then again that's why they play the games.  Maybe this veteran group will pull together and make us all proud to be fans.

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2014, 11:50:38 PM »
HopefullyDanny Hurley will be willing to come to this coaching suicide school after the year.

Lavin makes too much money for them to keep him around. He's not norm who they gor on the cheap.

Next season will be one of the worst teams St. John's has ever put on the court.

That is a ridiculous statement. ST. John's could start a stud junior point guard and a stud senior center next year. You put three half way decent guys around that and there is not chance it would be one of our worst seasons. This season hasn't even freaking started yet and people are saying the next one could be one of the worst ever? Last I checked this season means as much as any did before and any will after.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.