Minnesota Game

• 182 replies

Marillac

Minnesota Game
« on: November 22, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »
We had a few extra days to prepare for this one as they play UMBC tonight at 8:30.
Based on what I have seen thus far:

-UL outclassed them and the game wasn't as close as the score; Daddy definitely took it easy on junior

-Their press is tough but definitely not great; all four of our guards should be able to beat it on their own off the bounce 80% of the time

-One of the keys to the game will be how Dom and others respond when they get a pass from the guards out of the press to setup a 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 situation with their defenders approaching quickly

-Their PG, Mathieu, is 5'9 and quick.  That is the kind of kid that eats our guards up

-Carlos Morris is a good offensive player for them, but he is not there yet on D.  Very frail, plays high and reaches, no match for our guards.  His shot selection isn't the best...seems like he could be a weak link if pressured

-Their guards are small and we need to do everything we can to get Jordan and Harrison posting up on Mathieu

-Their defense is just like ours in that they overplay penetration and leave lots of wide open threes

-Their bigs are huge and coordinated, but play like 50 year olds. They are SLOW.  I cant see them sticking with a huge lineup long unless they are just murdering us on the boards and we aren't making them pay on the other end

-They have a freshman guard, Mason, with no conscience when it comes to outside shooting.  I saw him pullup for a few DEEP threes.  It's worked for him thus far, but he is due to learn the flipside of that very soon

-They are foul prone and our best chance to win is for Jordan and Harrison to be drawing contact and living at the line

-Lavin needs to check the refs early and often, because they set really physical screens and they seem to be moving an awful lot.  We can't win that type of game against them with the way or guys play screens

-It goes without saying, but Obekpa has to stay out of foul trouble or it's game over

-Harrison should have a quick trigger to pull up for threes once the press is beat

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:23:09 PM by Marillac »

Re: Minnesota Game
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
We had a few extra days to prepare for this one as they play UMBC tonight at 8:30.

-UL outclassed them and the game wasn't as close as the score; Daddy definitely took it easy on junior

-Their press is tough but definitely not great; all four of our guards should be able to beat it on their own off the bounce 80% of the time

-One of the keys to the game will be how Dom and others respond when they get a pass from the guards out of the press to setup a 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 situation with their defenders approaching quickly

-Their PG, Mathieu, is 5'9 and quick.  That is the kind of kid that eats our guards up

-Carlos Morris is a good offensive player for them, but he is not there yet on D.  Very frail, plays high and reaches, no match for our guards.  His shot selection isn't the best...seems like he could be a weak link if pressured

-Their guards are small and we need to do everything we can to get Jordan and Harrison posting up on Mathieu

-Their defense is just like ours in that they overplay penetration and leave lots of wide open threes

-Their bigs are huge and coordinated, but play like 50 year olds. They are SLOW.  I cant see them sticking with a huge lineup long unless they are just murdering us on the boards and we aren't making them pay on the other end

-They have a freshman guard, Mason, with no conscience when it comes to outside shooting.  I saw him pullup for a few DEEP threes.  It's worked for him thus far, but he is due to learn the flipside of that very soon

-They are foul prone and our best chance to win is for Jordan and Harrison to be drawing contact and living at the line

-Lavin needs to check the refs early and often, because they set really physical screens and they seem to be moving an awful lot.  We can't win that type of game against them with the way or guys play screens

-It goes without saying, but Obekpa has to stay out of foul trouble or it's game over

-Harrison should have a quick trigger to pull up for threes once the press is beat

Weren't we recruiting a kid name Morris in the last couple of years ? Is it the same kid ?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:43:22 PM by mjmaherjr »

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 06:57:16 PM »
I'll have to disagree about being completely outclassed by Louisville. We played them even in the second half. In the first half we were up 5 around the 14:00 minute mark, than about two minutes later we put them in the bonus. They basically won the game in those last 12:00 minutes of the first half. But for the most part your observations are correct.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 07:09:30 PM »
I would like to hear a pre game analysis from Shawnelle Scott.

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 07:28:54 PM »

Weren't we recruiting a kid name Morris in the last couple of years ? Is it the same kid ?
Yes

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 09:09:18 PM »
I'll have to disagree about being completely outclassed by Louisville. We played them even in the second half. In the first half we were up 5 around the 14:00 minute mark, than about two minutes later we put them in the bonus. They basically won the game in those last 12:00 minutes of the first half. But for the most part your observations are correct.

Welcome.  It's good to get input from a Gopher fan.
We'll have to agree to disagree on the Louisville game.  You guys played well for about five minutes, but then Harrell took whatever he wanted and clearly left a little in the tank (which is probably what he would have done to us). 

You guys have a solid team.  Your bigs really know their roles well and set multiple screens most possessions and there is constant motion.  I also like the inside-out play from them when they kick to shooters.

We recruited Carlos Morris as well, he should be a good one in time, but he was noticeably well behind the other guys on defense and was reaching with regularity.  I'd expect Joey King to have a big game and play about 30 minutes.  We have a tendency to make players like him look like All-Americans.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 10:14:55 PM »
The most impt match-up is Lavin vs Pitino. I would take Rick's grandkid vs Lavin let alone his son.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:16:21 PM by Celtics11 »

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 10:33:32 PM »
Tonight;

@GophersNow: Final MBB score: #Gophers 69, #UMBC 51. Walker 15 pts. Hollins 12. Morris 9 pts and 9 rebs. Mathieu 8 pts, 8 assists, 5 rebs, 4 stls

pmg911

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 07:50:08 AM »
Minnesota is very well coached and will be very prepared.

Look at it this way...   St. john's let Franklin Pierce score 50 points in a half, they scored 57 in the entire game against Minnesota.

We need to press our back court advantage and get their guards in foul trouble.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »

Look at it this way...   St. john's let Franklin Pierce score 50 points in a half, they scored 57 in the entire game against Minnesota.

I agree with your last point.  That should be the goal.  As for the score against Franklin Pierce, it doesn't mean all that much.  They couldn't get the ball up against Minnesota.  When a D-1 team presses a D-2 like that the difference in athletic ability shines through and it can become a laugher really quickly. Minnesota can't do that to us with our guards.  Heck, "the triangle" can bring the ball up himself and, despite all the negative comments, he never turns the ball over.  I'm more worried about their half court D, as the wrong some nice, aggressive traps.  In the past, this would have been a 5-6 turnover night for Dom. Let's see how he has improved.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 04:08:31 PM »
The most impt match-up is Lavin vs Pitino. I would take Rick's grandkid vs Lavin let alone his son.

The only thing I would worry about with a Pitino is stamina ;)

Poison

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 04:12:10 PM »

We need to press in the backcourt, but first we need to learn how to press in the backcourt.

Foad

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 04:14:54 PM »
When a D-1 team presses a D-2 like that the difference in athletic ability shines through and it can become a laugher really quickly.

Except for when a D1 team like SJU does it.Then it's somewhat less funny.

I was less emotionally invested in several of my ex-wives than you are in Lavin.

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 01:13:08 PM »
One of their backup guards has been arrested for domestic assault.  He played about 20 minutes per game in the early going, so this will leave them a bit short on numbers for tomorrow, if nothing else:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11936805/minnesota-golden-gophers-guard-daquein-mcneil-suspended-indefinitely

Tha Kid

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 02:34:45 PM »

The only thing I would worry about with a Pitino is stamina ;)

First time anyone has ever beaten D'Antoni's 7 seconds or less offense...
"I drink and I know things"

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 10:26:31 PM »
Is this the first unoffical interview of Putino being the next SJU coach? His father help build the old Big East and now his son will help build the new Big East.
Cougar O' Malley

paultzman

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 10:54:59 PM »
@RogRubin: St. John's, going against Minnesota, seeks to be "taken seriously." NYDN column: http://t.co/sMEkVjertt.

DFF6

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 11:16:36 PM »
@RogRubin: St. John's, going against Minnesota, seeks to be "taken seriously." NYDN column: http://t.co/sMEkVjertt.

The link to the article doesn't work.  Here's the text of the article:

In college basketball there are no must-win games in November. If there were, this would be one.

St. John’s meets Minnesota at the Garden Wednesday night in an NIT Season Tip-Off semifinal and it is no small opportunity. Games like this meeting with the Gophers – NCAA Tournament resume-builders – are the ones the Red Storm couldn’t win last year. It cost them last March. In the ‘who did you play and who did you beat?’ view of the selection committee, the answer was not enough good teams.

No. 10 Gonzaga and Georgia play the other semifinal, meaning another opportunity could await.

“This will be our biggest game. Coach (Steve Lavin) stresses to live in the present and Wednesday will be one of the biggest games of our careers he said,” senior D’Angelo Harrison said. “We were all like ‘he’s right.’ Having that in the back of your head, and knowing what 2-0 can do for this program, and having people finally take us seriously would be big for us.”

So the Johnnies know that right now they are not taken seriously, or at least not seriously enough. They also know it’s their own doing.

They lost the two non-conference resume games to Wisconsin and Syracuse last season. Against the three top Big East teams – Villanova, Creighton and Xavier – they went 1-5, including a pair of three-point lossess. And in the conference tournament quarters against Providence, a virtual play-in for the NCAAs on their home court, they lost by five.

St. John’s should be better than it’s been. Point guard Rysheed Jordan will play in the NBA. Center Chris Obekpa is a draft pick on most national websites that track these things. Harrison is a preseason first-team all-Big East pick. Seniors Phil Greene and Sir’Dominic Pointer have started a combined 140 games.

“They might have the most talented starting five in the Big East,” Villanova coach Jay Wright said. “I expect them to be good.”

But what are these Johnnies to this point? At best, good players who can’t seem to win the big one. At worst, they are overconfident underachievers. Their belief – all those five starters could exit the program after this season to graduation and the draft – is that their experience and drive to reach the NCAAs in their last crack at it will be the difference this time around.

“We have to approach it as a winner-takes-all, like a tournament game,” Greene said.

Duke will be a power non-conference opponent, but a date with rebuilding Syracuse may not have the heft it did a year ago. And the Big East was only worthy of four bids last season and it’s still too soon to say whether they’ll be worthy of as many this season. So St. John’s may need these chances to show it belongs in the NCAAs.

There is one other concern worth mentioning about these Johnnies: They must prove their mental toughness.

On campus Tuesday, when asked about the tendency to play down to the level of opponents, both Harrison and Greene joked that is the Storm’s “curse.” If so, they’re the ones who put the hex on.

They might see an example of mental toughness across the court Wednesday. Both St. John’s and Minnesota were disappointed at being bypassed for the NCAAs in March and received No. 1 seeding in the NIT. The Gophers responded by winning five games and taking the title at the Garden. The Johnnies unraveled fast and were humiliated by Robert Morris at Carnesecca Arena in their next game, something they all seem ashamed about now.

That shame is actually a good sign. The most-valuable lessons come in defeat.

This game is not a must-win for St. John’s. They will have their share of chances to build a resume. And every team is alive for the NCAA Tournament until it loses in its conference tournament in March. But a win on Wednesday would sure help the Johnnies.

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 11:28:36 PM »
I wonder if Lav would consider Obekpa off the bench?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

DFF6

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 11:43:36 PM »
I wonder if Lav would consider Obekpa off the bench?

You worried about foul trouble, Dave?