Minnesota Game

• 182 replies
Re: Minnesota Game
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2014, 11:47:03 PM »
Really nice win.  The team played physical, grinded it out and showed some blue-collar in them, which I doubted they were capable of. 

I thought we got a TON of help from officiating in the second half, but we used it to our benefit and took advantage.  Great to see Dom have a really nice second game in a row.  The whole squad really bought into winning the 50/50 ball as the 2nd half moved forward and even in the first half despite our struggles, I thought it wasn't for a lack of effort.  We just lost the battle of the arc badly in the first half, just defending it and shooting it.  We tightened up in the second half and I'm not sure if they even had a 3 after halftime. 

Nice performance, now lets see what we can do against the Zags.

We got screwed in first half so maybe it evened out. The offensive interference on Obekpa changed the first half. We had 6pt lead and would have been up 8, i was right there bogus call. Th´y went on a run after that.

« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2014, 11:56:06 PM »
I think we played zone in the first half because of the size mismatch and to keep CO out of foul trouble. Minn shot really well from three in the first half and we were down by 9. When we went man to man in the second half it bothered them. By the way thought we did a great job handling Minn press.  Didn't bother us at all.

« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2014, 11:56:06 PM »
Who guards Kyle Wiltjer? Dom? Hoping KW shot his load tonight.

« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2014, 12:03:12 AM »
One more thing--love Chris going old school with short shorts.  When is Underasmor get the hint and make him a pair.

Great team move would be to lend support to Chris and all wear the The Mullin era throw back uniform for the Duke game.  They would be better than the Black uniforms we can't win in

Tougher than you think. The turn around time on uniforms is 8-10 weeks.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2014, 12:05:45 AM »
Watching this game now. 1st half notes....

I think all the players are doing a better job of attacking and identifying how defense is reacting to them. Other guys are moving into space better without the ball and ball movement has improved as a result.

Phil Greene still kills me when he holds or bounces the ball for no reason. He is such a ball stopper. Jordan, Harrison, and even Branch are exact opposite as they catch and attack or simply keep the ball moving.

Christian Jones plays so small defensively. Has Sean Evans disease with his hands down at his sides at all times.

Jordan is so damn good. He makes passes that are NBA material. You can tell the game has slowed for him from his freshman year.

Team as a whole did a good job of closing out hard and boxing out on defense.

Phil does not have basketball instincts. But now that he  isn't the focal point of the offense, I just appreciate the good things he brings and don't worry about what he can't do he hit some huge shots in 2nd half. Going to need him to knock down shots if the team is going to be successful.

I think his shot selection is going to be the key to his season. He can do some really good things but he shoots a lot of long two's. If he can eliminate those 2-3 bad looks a game and up his % that would be huge. I'd love to see him above 45% instead of sub 40%

« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2014, 12:07:53 AM »
The 2 min stretch of Dom Pointer put back dunk off free throw, steal and facial, and come from behind block was the momentum shifter. Without those plays I think this team might have folded.

« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2014, 12:13:09 AM »
The 2 min stretch of Dom Pointer put back dunk off free throw, steal and facial, and come from behind block was the momentum shifter. Without those plays I think this team might have folded.

100% agree, he basically took on the entire Minnesota team by himself for a 2 minute stretch.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 12:14:28 AM by STJ11Redmen »

Poison

« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2014, 12:28:57 AM »
This win showed confidence and guts. You want to be a second half team, fine,  but you better turn it on in the second half. We did. Unsung Johnnies Pointer and Branch were very good. Pointer might be a 3rd team all league guy. He was our glue guy. Credit where it's due. I didn't see it coming.

Harrison was hot at the right time. He shot a too quickly in the first half, but he really turned it on late. Jordan was great. And what's scary is that he still made plenty of mistakes. It didn't matter because his great was really great.

« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2014, 12:31:27 AM »
I was really perplexed when Lavin took Branch out near the end. He made an excellent pass to Obekpa for what should have been an easy dunk but Obekpa tomahawked it and  it got blocked and we never saw Branch again.

bk8664

« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2014, 12:39:28 AM »
Game Summary from Me:

Exasperating: Some out of control forced offensive moves by certain of our players. Some forced plays during crunch time.
Exasperating:  Free throw shooting
Even more Exasperating: Three point shooting

Encouraging:  Interior Passing by the team on offense. It was really crisp at times.
Encouraging: Defense in second half in general;  quick hands on defense, lots of forced turnovers.
Encouraging:  The blocked shots and more importantly altering shots
Encouraging:  Rebounding; It wasn't as bad as expected.
Encouraging: When the ball moved around offense they got open shots.

« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2014, 12:43:10 AM »
Went somewhere tonight, at last minute notice. Took my radio with me, and stepped out a few times to hear the game.
Wish the nit was 7-9:30 like it used to be, eating out tomorrow at 6:30, hope to be home for the second half.

Damn good win tonight. Seen that we took over in the 2nd half out scoring them 40-21.
Like seeing that we out rebounded them also OREB - Total  SJU 18-51  Minny 13-39 
We had 16steald to their 7.

I seen that someone posted "we'll be playing with house money tomorrow."
I say screw that bs house money crap. Gonzaga isn't a house money game, it's a freaking big time statement game.

Winning this game tonight says: "Yeah look at us now baby, we just beat a top10 team, so stop doubting us.
I'm greedy baby, I want to win the NIT and celebrate winning it in our home, on our court.
MADISON SQUARE GARDEN...................LETS BRING IT HOME.   WANT PEOPLE TO BELIEVE YOU'RE NO JOKE, THEN BEAT A TOP 10 TEAM.
THAT WILL MAKE BELIEVERS

Was thinking the game was tonight for some reason, glad it's not
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 12:48:49 AM by mullin85berry86 »

goredmen

« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2014, 12:53:58 AM »
The most encouraging thing about this game for me was the shot selection. The team passed up many jump shots early in the shot clock and wound up getting betterlooks. Very noticeable difference in this department compared to last year. Last year Dom and Phil would fire away whenever they were open. Hope this continues all year

Marillac

« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2014, 01:56:22 AM »
Pitino was very underwhelming as a coach.  He did nothing to stop our guards from penetrating at will.  Their guards didn't stand a chance. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2014, 03:06:41 AM »
Pitino was very underwhelming as a coach.  He did nothing to stop our guards from penetrating at will.  Their guards didn't stand a chance. 

I disagree. I thought they played really well. I like how they attacked our zone and their out of bound plays.  Game changed when we came out and played man. I liked their movement on offense but we are a far more athletic team. They may finish in the bottom third of the Big Ten this year. Not sure what he could have done differently, they were over matched and was in the game until the very end. If we don't go man in second half we lose the game, we couldn't keep up with there ball movement. Thought they were well coached, just didn't have the horses. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2014, 04:57:51 AM »

Spot on Dave.  I think that and Greenes couple of jumpers were what really saved us.  Of course DLo rysheed and obekpa did their thing but it was Dom and Greene who really shifted the momentum in parts of the second half IMO.

Great win.  We do NOT win this game in past years.  Gotta bring it on Friday now.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2014, 10:58:12 AM »
One more thing--love Chris going old school with short shorts.  When is Underasmor get the hint and make him a pair.

Great team move would be to lend support to Chris and all wear the The Mullin era throw back uniform for the Duke game.  They would be better than the Black uniforms we can't win in

Tougher than you think. The turn around time on uniforms is 8-10 weeks.

dave i wonder if UA was a little embarrassed and he get them earlier. The commentator actually called them out on it.

« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2014, 11:24:10 AM »
Its very easy to root for your team when the compete as hard as they did last night. All the big plays last night had one thing in common, our guy wanted it more. Dom's put back dunk of the missed ft was all hustle, his steal and and-1 poster was the same. What more can be said about dlo? Absolute warrior. 

Only negative was listening to freaking Dan Dakich. God he is awful. Someone else mentioned it but when he said something like "if Dlo played with the focus, energy, and communication that Obekpa does he would be an NBA player." If thats not a.) A horribly inaccurate statement and b.) An uncalled for back handed comment, then I dont know what is.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2014, 11:31:13 AM »
Its very easy to root for your team when the compete as hard as they did last night. All the big plays last night had one thing in common, our guy wanted it more. Dom's put back dunk of the missed ft was all hustle, his steal and and-1 poster was the same. What more can be said about dlo? Absolute warrior. 

Only negative was listening to freaking Dan Dakich. God he is awful. Someone else mentioned it but when he said something like "if Dlo played with the focus, energy, and communication that Obekpa does he would be an NBA player." If thats not a.) A horribly inaccurate statement and b.) An uncalled for back handed comment, then I dont know what is.

He clearly knew nothing about the St. John's team. He should be embarrassed.

Poison

« Reply #158 on: November 27, 2014, 11:33:22 AM »

Yea, I wish he'd just shut up. Give me more Raftery .

TONYD3

« Reply #159 on: November 27, 2014, 11:37:10 AM »
As unpopular as this is. Lavin deserves some credit. Team looked great last night. He killed Pitino in the second half. These are his seniors.