Lamont Jones - PG - American Christian School - Aston, PA - IONA

• 560 replies
Title IX. Proposition 48. Scholarship limits. Partial qualifiers.

Over the past 40 years, the implementation of those legislations changed the landscape of college basketball.

Now there is another piece of legislation that will soon be part of the college sports lexicon -- NCAA bylaw 11.4.2.

The rule, which went into effect in 2010, states a college that employs an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete in any athletics department in a non-coaching staff position can't recruit that player for two years.

Like many rules imposed by the governing body for intercollegiate sports, it was well-intended. College basketball programs from coast to coast were hiring a high school and/or AAU coach for a non-coaching position and voila, that coach's star player just happened to sign with that college.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/mo_mo_hitches_arise_in_recruiting_UTkvGKa2QRhG366BxAGfnK#ixzz1NeMtSew6
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Dan

So if Jones is recruited now and redshirts, wouldn't this not be a problem?  I'm guessing he doesn't want to do that.  He'd rather play in Europe and then go pro.  I can't blame him.

gman

So if Jones is recruited now and redshirts, wouldn't this not be a problem?  I'm guessing he doesn't want to do that.  He'd rather play in Europe and then go pro.  I can't blame him.

He would still be under scholarship as a redshirt.  He would have to go to JUCO and pay his way for a year then transfer to SJU.

Dan

He would still be under scholarship as a redshirt.  He would have to go to JUCO and pay his way for a year then transfer to SJU.

That seems even more unlikely...if he did well enough to merit first round consideration for the NBA draft he would be more apt to throw his name into the draft.

Was Lamont supposed to announce today?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
He's on the Lance Stephenson announcement schedule.

Seton Hall the last one standing?

http://www.southorangejuice.com/2011/6/1/2201721/seton-hall-basketball-hazell-update-momo-on-campus-canty-visiting

According to our own John Lopiano, Arizona Wildcats transfer Lamont "MoMo" Jones was spotted on campus today talking to head coach Kevin Willard. The information was confirmed by another source that Jones was indeed on campus with former Seton Hall assistant Dermon Player.

With St. John's out of the MoMo Sweepsteaks because of his former relationship with Red Storm assistant Moe Hicks and Connecticut no longer pursuing the guard, it seems like Seton Hall is the last local major conference school remaining.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Gumby

Recruiting Momo is difficult for any team.  I think he has a snow ball's chance in heck to get the NCAA to allow him to play this coming season.  So you recruit him to sit out a year, then play a year, then there is a good chance he goes Pro.  SH and Coach Willard have nothing to lose if this scenario plays out. 

Once again, I think if he could play for us and have to sit out a year, I am not sure Coach Lavin would want to go that route with Momo.

Moose

Recruiting Momo is difficult for any team.  I think he has a snow ball's chance in heck to get the NCAA to allow him to play this coming season.  So you recruit him to sit out a year, then play a year, then there is a good chance he goes Pro.  SH and Coach Willard have nothing to lose if this scenario plays out. 

Once again, I think if he could play for us and have to sit out a year, I am not sure Coach Lavin would want to go that route with Momo.

Wonder how Kyle feels about Hall getting Momo to clog up the ball handling.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

Seton Hall has so little to work with this coming season that it's worth it for them to take chances on any promising transfer. Even if it's just for one year. Thankfully, we are no longer in that position.

Jones will take officials to Marquette, South Florida and Pittsburgh and unofficials to Seton Hall (Wednesday), Iona (Friday), Hosftra (Monday) and UMass (Tuesday), per Dermon Player, the former Seton Hall assistant now advising Jones on his recruitment.

Moose

Jones will take officials to Marquette, South Florida and Pittsburgh and unofficials to Seton Hall (Wednesday), Iona (Friday), Hosftra (Monday) and UMass (Tuesday), per Dermon Player, the former Seton Hall assistant now advising Jones on his recruitment.

Grandma lives all over.

Sure sounds like SHU is probably not where he wants to end up.  I mean SHU is the only local major viable option and despite visiting still wants to visit all of these low mid majors and A-10 schools in addition to bigger schools well outside the metro area?

Moose

Sure sounds like SHU is probably not where he wants to end up.  I mean SHU is the only local major viable option and despite visiting still wants to visit all of these low mid majors and A-10 schools in addition to bigger schools well outside the metro area?

You would think he would have thought about this before pulling the trigger and transferring.  Put feelers out there.  Most indecisive transfer ever.

Grandma lives all over.

lol

Im not sure Momo would like playing for Willard

LJSA

I look forward to Iona either making a huge splash or completely disintegrating if he gets the waiver and goes there.

You would think he would have thought about this before pulling the trigger and transferring.  Put feelers out there.  Most indecisive transfer ever.

You and I know that if SJU was a viable option his recruitment would be over right now.

That also tells me he probably will not land at SHU since again they are the only BE school and he won't pull the trigger.

Grandma lives all over.

lol

Im not sure Momo would like playing for Willard

Mike Glover had some issues in the past as well and he worked out pretty well for the Gaels so far

Moose

You and I know that if SJU was a viable option his recruitment would be over right now.

That also tells me he probably will not land at SHU since again they are the only BE school and he won't pull the trigger.

True but again the feelers should have been placed.  Should have asked about the Hicks rule.

Poison

Machado is pretty overrated IMOP. He shat the bed in the MAAC final. I'd they can move him to the bench or even to off guard, maybe the Gaels can finally get over that hump.