Transfer talk

• 74 replies
Re: Transfer talk
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 03:30:14 PM »
Some other names for potential transfer material:

Rasheed Sulaimon - not sure how bad/good his situation is regarding the allegations against him, but Dez Wells looked bad for a time until the truth came out and he was entirely cleared.

Shonn Miller - Cornell - 6'7" PF but plays bigger than that - can score and rebound well at the PF position - solid 6-7 man for next year.  Might be in the mold for what Mullin is looking for in a talented back up.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 03:30:51 PM by bball purist »

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 03:55:38 PM »

Rasheed Sulaimon - not sure how bad/good his situation is regarding the allegations against him, but Dez Wells looked bad for a time until the truth came out and he was entirely cleared.

Shonn Miller - Cornell - 6'7" PF but plays bigger than that - can score and rebound well at the PF position - solid 6-7 man for next year.  Might be in the mold for what Mullin is looking for in a talented back up.

Best to avoid players like Sulaimon until they are completely cleared (if ever). 
I'm not too big on Miller from Cornell.  I like what we have with Amar for three more years and especially with the likely addition of Williams, who will also be around three years.  Diallo is my dream starter for a year (maybe two) that can do for us what Malik Abu did for NC State.

If Williams is added, Lee has to be the top target outside of keeping the current players and commitments in Queens. 

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 04:17:16 PM »

Best to avoid players like Sulaimon until they are completely cleared (if ever). 
I'm not too big on Miller from Cornell.  I like what we have with Amar for three more years and especially with the likely addition of Williams, who will also be around three years.  Diallo is my dream starter for a year (maybe two) that can do for us what Malik Abu did for NC State.

If Williams is added, Lee has to be the top target outside of keeping the current players and commitments in Queens.
I have no objections to the scenarios you have, but as we know too well, backup plans are important. If the staff thinks Amar can made a nice positive step forward, then Miller might not be needed.

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 04:37:58 PM »

I have no objections to the scenarios you have, but as we know too well, backup plans are important. If the staff thinks Amar can made a nice positive step forward, then Miller might not be needed.

I'd imagine the new staff is very pleased with inheriting Amar.  Big kid, can play the four and five--maybe even the three in a pinch in a few years.  Very skilled and a floor spacer that is as competitive and aggressive as anyone on the roster.  His best basketball is ahead of him. 

hnk

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 04:46:11 PM »
When he gets comfortable he is going to be knocking them down from distance...spacing the floor for everyone else....(if he can earn his minutes with the talent being brought in...and control his fouling.)

Tha Kid

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 05:33:27 PM »
Coach K has NEVER kicked a player off the team. I'd avoid sulaimon like the plague.  The public issue may be the private allegations but hear he was a horrible teammate and very selfish player.

We are already counting on two of those to reform - without any criminal whisperings about them.  Don't need sulaimon added to the mix.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:34:34 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2015, 06:25:52 PM »
If Mullin likes AA after working him out fine, but ppl have to go and he's a good candidate bc he couldn't get minutes on a paper thin team.

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2015, 06:38:53 PM »
If Mullin likes AA after working him out fine, but ppl have to go and he's a good candidate bc he couldn't get minutes on a paper thin team.

People don't "have to go."  We have plenty of room, especially for a 6'9 235 promising big man.

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2015, 07:42:40 PM »
If we want a roster with capable players, which we'll need to compete, ppl do have to go.  Do you think no one will go?  Was AA not getting on the floor strictly a Lavin problem?  What is promising?  The guy had about 30 pts in 20 games.....

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2015, 07:45:55 PM »
I hope Chris runs a motion style offense. With Amar's agility for his size, a second year to learn more, and putting in some good work, I can see him improving going in to next season. 

In addition, coaches are not looked upon favorably if they are told by a coach they "have to go."  AA might be ok with 5-10 minutes per game if he knows he's improving a lot to set himself up for a good junior/senior year. We don't know. 

boo3

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2015, 07:52:24 PM »
I think AA can be a solid , 4 year contributor.    A big body who will eventually be able to knock down the 3 ball.    I saw signs last year .

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2015, 07:55:22 PM »
I think AA can be a solid , 4 year contributor.    A big body who will eventually be able to knock down the 3 ball.    I saw signs last year .
Obviously, Chris will find ways to get AA ready for a stretch 4 role. It could turn out really well for him.

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2015, 08:38:19 PM »
If we want a roster with capable players, which we'll need to compete, ppl do have to go.  Do you think no one will go?  Was AA not getting on the floor strictly a Lavin problem?  What is promising?  The guy had about 30 pts in 20 games.....

Asking me if I think "no one will go" is a very different thing than saying people "have to go."  It would be strange for there to be no roster turnover after a coaching change.  I think someone will go, and judging by the talent being targeted and the cryptic quote, I think Jones is probably going to transfer.  I think that move makes sense for both sides.  We lost four seniors and we weren't at full capacity to start with, so there is more than enough room.

I'm not for forcing kids out, but I am certainly for a coach being honest and up front about where the kids are in his plans. 

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2015, 09:06:23 PM »
Do you guys think Lavin forced guys out? 

AA has a good prospect who is his cousin.  That's the best reason I have seen for keeping him, though not a good one, to recruit the cousin.

If Mullin wanted to release guys, based on his evaluations of players, it will not be panned but rather, it will come down as another fault of the old regime that the cupboard is so bare.

Back to AA as a player.  Did he really prove himself last year?

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2015, 09:09:51 PM »
Mullin said he feels like the best players in the city should be expected to go to St. John's.  AA may be dead wood.  He doesn't seem to fit, unless the new staff likes him, of course.  BTW, I am just for fielding the absolute best team, within the rules.  I have waited long enough.  Thanks.

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2015, 09:14:18 PM »
Amar is a serviceable player with size and experience. He's not gonna be forced out.

Foad

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2015, 09:21:59 PM »

Last year he proved that he was every bit the free throw shooter Joey DL Rosa was.

35 percent from the floor, 23 percent from 3, 14 percent from the FT line. Yes, fourteen percent. Great screener though it goes without saying.

So as a freshman he proved he was awful. Maybe he gets better than that. How much better? Keep him, get rid of him, who cares. If Mullin can't recruit over a late spring recruit 14 percent FT shooter we're looking at a world of hurt.

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2015, 09:39:25 PM »

Last year he proved that he was every bit the free throw shooter Joey DL Rosa was.

35 percent from the floor, 23 percent from 3, 14 percent from the FT line. Yes, fourteen percent. Great screener though it goes without saying.

So as a freshman he proved he was awful. Maybe he gets better than that. How much better? Keep him, get rid of him, who cares. If Mullin can't recruit over a late spring recruit 14 percent FT shooter we're looking at a world of hurt.

He only took seven FTs all season--which might be a better gripe with his game than the % considering how many guys he personally sent to the line (and trainer's table).  He's got good form, so there is no reason to think he wouldn't drastically improve with a bigger sampling. 

I'm a little surprised you are down on him considering how hard he plays and how much you respect you have for Chris Mullin.  I'd think Mullin would have a big impact on an athletically limited shooter with good passing ability and coordination. I'm sure we'll hear or read about it 50 times by tomorrow night, but Kamsinski only started two games his first two seasons at Wisconsin.  Bigs just take longer. 

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2015, 10:10:37 PM »

He only took seven FTs all season--which might be a better gripe with his game than the % considering how many guys he personally sent to the line (and trainer's table).  He's got good form, so there is no reason to think he wouldn't drastically improve with a bigger sampling. 

I'm a little surprised you are down on him considering how hard he plays and how much you respect you have for Chris Mullin.  I'd think Mullin would have a big impact on an athletically limited shooter with good passing ability and coordination. I'm sure we'll hear or read about it 50 times by tomorrow night, but Kamsinski only started two games his first two seasons at Wisconsin.  Bigs just take longer. 

Hey.  Yes, I am down on him.  First off, Lavin made terrible decisions with recruiting.  I don't think many of Lavin's players are "safe."  AA, should the new staff be down on him, is probably gonna get his best opportunity elsewhere.  Mullin, who is trying to win, of course, may have better players in mind for spots, & he may not be willing to go the route where he languishes over guys who can barely get on the floor for nominal improvement.

I have great, great, great respect for Mullin, obviously.  That said, everyone will play hard.  Not an issue.  And I agree with above sentiment, that Mullin wants "his guys" and the spot may be too valuable for AA.  He might not be a D1 major guy.

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2015, 10:21:04 PM »
How many star recruit was AA?  Do you think his freshman year reflected some skill, honestly?  With Mullin coming in, we are probably better as a program & do not have to humor weird projects........

IDK.  I'm not trying to be harsh.  I just wanna see them open as many spots as possible.