Rysheed Jordan going pro

• 114 replies

MCNPA

Re: Rysheed Jordan going pro
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 03:51:05 PM »
He has talent and will play somewhere, most likely overseas.  Just glad he won't be killing chemistry here any longer.  We will have a bit of an intersting transition year, but very excited to get the ball rolling.  I think when our last two recruits are signed, people will look at this team and be very happy with its makeup.  We will likely be ranked near bottom of the league to start the season, but I kinda like that.  I bet we will be better than most anybody expects.

Gumby

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 03:52:58 PM »
Dave,

Is there any way you can take RJ off the cover for this site?

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 04:20:01 PM »
It would appear that Philly is not the place to go shopping for PG

Which is why Lavin landed him

redslope

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 05:53:31 PM »
Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.  You certainly know the way out--you have used it enough in the last 2 years.  Glad this happened as Chris does not need a prima donna to upset team focus. 

NBA=No Basketball in America

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 06:13:18 PM »
This guy's drama was one reason Lavin was asked to make other arrangements.  I wish him well, but pity the team that signs him.
Why? He will not be a center piece for a team signing him, he will be a fringe player. If he causes problems it will be adios.Right now his talent will not outweigh any baggage he may bring to a team. Low man on the totem pole.

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 06:16:42 PM »
Hope he gets drafted by a D League team within 100 miles of Philly. #whynot

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2015, 02:14:28 PM »
So he is ineligible to play in the NBA this season but can play for the D-League and get drafted from that team in 2016.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2015, 04:03:08 PM »
If you've ever been to a D League game, you know that the entire league is one giant piece of shit. You think the rules don't apply to you, the D League is a fitting punishment.

But wait, you can make the NBA from the D League because .3% have. So, there's that.

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2015, 12:57:16 AM »
What a disappointing career RJ had here.  His talent is undeniable, but it is a little refreshing to be done with him.  Next season could have been maddening living and dying with such an inconsistent player with such awful decision-making--which apparently isn't limited to the basketball court.

Talent and depth will take a step back, but chemistry and consistency will likely be better if Lovett is eligible.  I'd imagine this puts puts us right back in the Eli Carter sweepstakes.  It makes too much sense for both parties now. 

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2015, 01:07:25 AM »
This could have been Rashad McCants

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2015, 01:11:12 AM »
He goes the way of Omar Cook and Erick Barkley……..and many others before him…..maybe a few 10 day contracts and catches on for a season playing a few min for a bottom feeder team, make some money in a distant land no support around him and at 35 he's wondering wtf happened. Oh well what could of been.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 01:11:40 AM by erickthered »

desco80

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2015, 11:26:43 AM »
He goes the way of Omar Cook and Erick Barkley……..and many others before him…..maybe a few 10 day contracts and catches on for a season playing a few min for a bottom feeder team, make some money in a distant land no support around him and at 35 he's wondering wtf happened. Oh well what could of been.

I think it's a mistake to leave school.   But if RJ doesn't make the NBA it won't be because he left SJU early.   It will be because the odds are ridiculously small for even the best basketball players to stick in that league.   
There are 300 or so NBA regulars, that are more or less going to be on a roster every season until they retire.      That's it.    That's not a lot.   less than 10 players in every draft become regulars.

Foad

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2015, 12:04:30 PM »

Eric Barkley was a first round NBA draft pick. He earned 2 million in the NBA and another couple 2 three million playing overseas. At age 35 he's now an assistant coach at Christ the King, where presumably he's giving back to the community. Sounds like a pretty good career to me.

Omar Cook is still making a six figure salary playing in Europe. Sounds like a pretty good career to me.

"I was in the street (after he got cut by Dallas) and everyone was saying to me you should have stayed in school. But you can't compare me to a Jason Williams," Cook said. "Jason Williams went to Duke and Jason Williams lived in the suburbs. Jason Williams had everything growing up -- I had nothing."

Could it be that the best decision for Rysheed Jordan doesn't involve some half assed sports marketing degree from a half assed school like Saint John's? Perhaps his best interests don't align with those of middle aged college basketball fans? Maybe it's not a matter of what could have been, for you. Maybe it's a matter of what is, for him.

TONYD3

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2015, 12:10:43 PM »
Eric Barkley and Omar cook were also much better players. Jordan absolutely could have gotten better if he stayed and tried.

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2015, 12:41:01 PM »
I don't like even seeing him compared with Barkley or Cook.  Barkley was chased out of SJU and forced into the draft by the NCAA after giving us two of the most successful seasons we ever enjoyed.  Cook gave us a great performance in his only year and was a bonafide first round consideration.  I think both guys made out pretty well all things considered.  I doubt Jordan will have the success of either, but he'll be fine.

He really could have been an all-time great here if his head was in it.  It's pretty telling that we can lose that type of talent and it almost feels refreshing to be rid of him and his act. 

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2015, 02:15:32 PM »
I don't like even seeing him compared with Barkley or Cook.  Barkley was chased out of SJU and forced into the draft by the NCAA after giving us two of the most successful seasons we ever enjoyed.  Cook gave us a great performance in his only year and was a bonafide first round consideration.  I think both guys made out pretty well all things considered.  I doubt Jordan will have the success of either, but he'll be fine.

He really could have been an all-time great here if his head was in it.  It's pretty telling that we can lose that type of talent and it almost feels refreshing to be rid of him and his act. 

I agree here. Jordan never touched Cook/Barkley status.

I can see Cook comparisons of potential of what could of been but Cook actually dominated Big East where Jordan had potential to do it but never actually did.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

redslope

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2015, 03:18:23 PM »
Sheed had a ton of experience in the 2 years traveling between SJU and Philly--maybe he is best suited for a job with Amtrak

TONYD3

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2015, 03:33:01 PM »
Sheed had a ton of experience in the 2 years traveling between SJU and Philly--maybe he is best suited for a job with Amtrak
This is the latest rumor on here. Doesn't mean its true. I am not saying he never missed a practice or even a game. But I don't believe that he was rarely here like some say.

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2015, 03:49:41 PM »
I think Eli Carter is the guy we should call on to replace him. He can give us the offense--nobody will be able to give us the d or rebounding.  He's a two-time transfer going into his last year, so all the leverage is with the staff. I know the knock on him is that he's a gunner, but we could roll out a roster with four shooters---three (Carter, Johnson, and Williams) very good.  Improve his shot selection and get him to buy in on defense and into a team-first approach and it could really work out well for us.  He would also give us second ball-handling option for 5-10 mpg.

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2015, 04:05:35 PM »
I think Eli Carter is the guy we should call on to replace him. He can give us the offense--nobody will be able to give us the d or rebounding.  He's a two-time transfer going into his last year, so all the leverage is with the staff. I know the knock on him is that he's a gunner, but we could roll out a roster with four shooters---three (Carter, Johnson, and Williams) very good.  Improve his shot selection and get him to buy in on defense and into a team-first approach and it could really work out well for us.  He would also give us second ball-handling option for 5-10 mpg.

What is the downside to this?