Depaul game thread

• 193 replies
Re: Depaul game thread
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2016, 10:47:55 AM »
Fellini was a key cog or main catalyst of both our signature wins this season. Yet he's only a freshman.

I would be surprised if Heath Orvis, Max Hooper, Terence Mullin, Tim Doyle, Fred Lyson or Sergio Luyk ever sniffed such rarified air.

Perhaps this contributes to the love he gets and helps people to over look that he's size and speed challenged.

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2016, 10:54:19 AM »
Fellini was a key cog or main catalyst of both our signature wins this season. Yet he's only a freshman.

I would be surprised if Heath Orvis, Max Hooper, Terence Mullin, Tim Doyle, Fred Lyson or Sergio Luyk ever sniffed such rarified air.

Perhaps this contributes to the love he gets and helps people to over look that he's size and speed challenged.

Alex Dillard on the Arkansas 40 minutes of Hell teams. I get extra points for comparing a white guy to a black guy. No one ever does that.
Still think he needs to still work on playing the point if he is going to have a real impact on the program though.

Poison

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2016, 12:19:08 PM »

As a freshman, with David Cain running the offense, Fred Lyson was actually very good. Without a point guard to get him looks, he was a liability the following year because James Scott wasn't interested in running any offense that wasn't designed around his own.

Lyson is taller, and clearly stronger, but the comparison of playing with and playing without a PG is relevant IMO.

Doyle, BTW, was a good passer, and he became a pretty good rebounder, but he wasn't a very good 3 point shooter which was really odd to me. He got the hell out of here fast. Didn't like playing with thugs.

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2016, 12:38:37 PM »
I get extra points for comparing a white guy to a black guy. No one ever does that.
Still think he needs to still work on playing the point if he is going to have a real impact on the program though.

Fair point.  He's certainly not 2 guard sized and might always struggle defending a decent 2.  It forces our hand to defend zone if he's on the court.

P.S.  I give you extra points for most everything you write.  I think you're up to 167 now.

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2016, 12:39:42 PM »
Fred Lyson was actually very good.

Fred Lyson was never "actually very good".

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2016, 12:49:43 PM »

Agreed and Scott was a 2 / 3 not his job to make Lyson better

Foad

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2016, 01:05:05 PM »

Fred Lyson was a career .38 3 point shooter.

Let's see how that compares to great SJU shooters of the past

Larry Wright .371
Donald Emanuel .340
Willie Shaw .337
Durand Johnson .333
Avery Patterson .327
Phil Greene .325   
Federico Mussini .323

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2016, 01:10:28 PM »

Larry Wright .371
Donald Emanuel .340
Willie Shaw .337
Durand Johnson .333
Avery Patterson .327
Phil Greene .325   
Federico Mussini .323

The Legend only grows greater with the passing of time!

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2016, 01:19:34 PM »

Larry Wright .371
Donald Emanuel .340
Willie Shaw .337
Durand Johnson .333
Avery Patterson .327
Phil Greene .325   
Federico Mussini .323

Honestly Lyson, Sergio Luyk, Tim Doyle, Marco Bourgault, Max Hooper and now Mussini are all blending into one guy for me at this point. Lets call him Sergio Marco Lysonperini "The Great White / European hope"

Foad

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2016, 01:21:48 PM »

Larry Wright .371
Donald Emanuel .340
Willie Shaw .337
Durand Johnson .333
Avery Patterson .327
Phil Greene .325   
Federico Mussini .323

Honestly Lyson, Sergio Luyk, Tim Doyle, Marco Bourgault, Max Hooper and now Mussini are all blending into one guy for me at this point. Lets call him Sergio Marco Lysonperini "The Great White / European hope"

If you Frankensteined those guys together there's almost a complete player there.

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2016, 01:27:32 PM »

Larry Wright .371
Donald Emanuel .340
Willie Shaw .337
Durand Johnson .333
Avery Patterson .327
Phil Greene .325   
Federico Mussini .323

If you Frankensteined those guys together there's almost a complete player there.

Last good un-"Frankensteined" white guy has to be Werdann I guess. Not that that kind of thing matters to me, but seems really important to some on these boards.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 01:28:27 PM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2016, 01:52:27 PM »
Last good un-"Frankensteined" white guy has to be Werdann I guess. Not that that kind of thing matters to me, but seems really important to some on these boards.

Tale of the Taupe

12.0 ppg / 1.7 ast / 4 reb / 1.8 TO / .37 FG / .75 FT / .31 3 pt
11.7 ppg / 2.4 ast / 2.6 reb / 2.6 TO / .35 FG / .87 FT / .32 3 pt

One guy can flat out score. The other one is the worst chucker since George Costanza

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2016, 01:52:57 PM »

Larry Wright .371
Donald Emanuel .340
Willie Shaw .337
Durand Johnson .333
Avery Patterson .327
Phil Greene .325   
Federico Mussini .323

His sample size is only 89 shots and his Gumby like hair style made his shooting seem worse.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 01:54:36 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2016, 01:59:02 PM »

Tale of the Taupe

One guy can flat out score. The other one is the worst chucker since George Costanza

In fairness the flat out scorer quote came from a guy that also likes Johnson. Agree with your point though

Foad

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2016, 02:11:40 PM »

Tale of the Taupe

In fairness the flat out scorer quote came from a guy that also likes Johnson. Agree with your point though

Yeah, I didn't mean to single out Marillac who is a swell fellow and my good pal. That was just the latest iteration of an opinion which seems to me to be fanciful.

TONYD3

« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2016, 02:44:38 PM »
this is going to upset some of you. The kid should transfer out. I am well aware he is a freshman. He is plenty skilled but he isn't growing taller, he won't get much faster, and he is not a pg. if he stays he will have some moments for us. But he will and hopefully already has been recruited over.

derk

« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2016, 03:26:59 PM »
Mussini really knows how to get out and run off a break. Not with the ball but without it. He will get so many buckets when playing with a real pg or two. 

He got a few layups last night against an nonathletic team. Finishing is going to be a problem for him. I have nothing against him and I love that he hasn't pouted since his time has been reduced. I do question how much he can or will contribute on a good team though. Just my assessment.

Ive mentioned it a few times before. You can tell he has been running the wing for a while, gets out wide and takes good angle to the rim once he receives the ball.  Opposed to our other guys who run in line with the ball and leave themselves no angle to get to the rim. Of course it doesnt help that our passing is very limited. I think lately Mussini has gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to getting foul calls too. Ill stick to my prediction that no matter who is on the team, if Mussini gets 20 minutes a night he'll average double figures.
Very happy we won. Happy with mussini last night. Kid played his heart out. If he plays he can and will score. The goal is to win not him score double digits. Not saying he should never play a lot. But if that is the gameplan we lose more then we win.

Hey buddy

How did Darrick Wood do compared to Ellison ;)
Very happy to be wrong.

So ... where did he wind up and how did he do ?

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2016, 03:30:30 PM »
Asking him to transfer out? Sure I can see an argument for him not being a starter for us as we get better but to suggest hes not worth a spot on the roster is insane.

He reminds me of a better Mike Nardi. Sorry WSJU for the intraracial reference.   Remember how he was used at nova? There will be times when the three of the small guards are on the court together and you wont be able to tell who's playing what position.  And as marillac and I have pointed out, having three guys out there who can all dribble, pass, and shoot makes for a team that's very difficult to guard.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2016, 03:35:45 PM »
Asking him to transfer out? Sure I can see an argument for him not being a starter for us as we get better but to suggest hes not worth a spot on the roster is insane.

He reminds me of a better Mike Nardi. Sorry WSJU for the intraracial reference.   Remember how he was used at nova? There will be times when the three of the small guards are on the court together and you wont be able to tell who's playing what position.  And as marillac and I have pointed out, having three guys out there who can all dribble, pass, and shoot makes for a team that's very difficult to guard.

Not bad but Nardi had way better handle

« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2016, 03:48:50 PM »

Not bad but Nardi had way better handle

If not so yet, I think Mussini's handle wont be a concern.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.