Depaul game thread

• 193 replies
Re: Depaul game thread
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2016, 04:50:12 PM »
I loved the Lavin hire, was in cloud 9 after Year 1, and defended the staff repeatedly from others who were more critical up until the midpoint last season, when it became apparent to me (and the majority of this board) that Lavin had been utterly reckless in his recruiting the prior 2 years, in what was a condusive environment to bring stability back to our program.

No qualms with you, as a fan, wanting to "knock on the NCAA door' next season.  I just don't think it is realistic, based on history and how long it takes for even highly ranked HS/JUCO players to assimilate with the BE or other major conferences (our program and many others).  And my question was whether you had the same expectations for years 2 - 4 of Lavin.  Because almost any other D-I coach in the country could have guided our year 4 squad to the dance.

If you are truly pulling for Mullin & Co., then we are on the same page.

Wow PRJohnnies looking up past posts just to hate on me. Clearly he is selective in what he reads. My points have just been that Lav should have been more fairly assessed and that this season was disappointing even more than I had thought. And I expect to knock on NCAA door next year with that talent-that is so terrible?

And as for Mullin I hope he does well, I really do because from being a part of the program you become a life-long johnnie nothing but fond memories and want the program to rise again.
But to be honest when Lav was first fired, my first call would have been to Marc Jackson and attempt to repair the bad relationship everyone speculates about. Man built the Warriors that many kids can relate to  and has great basketball mind with proven coaching record at highest level. Mullin, and I know no one likes to discuss this struggled in personnel department and GM in NBA. Perhaps he becomes a great coach and I hope he does but my preference would have been keeping  Lav 2 more years or Jackson.

« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2016, 05:26:20 PM »
I support the current staff and would be happy with either Mullin or Lavin as the coach. But, I think Lavin was treated extremely unfairly both by the administration and this board and did not deserve to be let go. The drama with Lavin was bad, I'll admit that, but also was overblown with baseless speculation or insinuations by certain posters that would never come to fruition, or could not be proven true. The recruiting was still solid as he had Sampson, and most likely would have still landed quite a few of the guys Mullin did (Lovett, Mussini, Yakwe).

Lavin wasn't perfect, but he was a positive for SJU. Three 20 win seasons in 5 years is something every single person here would have signed up for at his hiring. People here hate him and I accept that but will never totally understand it.
Lovett is not eligible and we still have Mussini and Yakwe.  We also have a really bad record, so I don't get your point.  The question is "did he leave the program in historically bad  shape?"  And the answer is "yes he did". So I don't get the Lavin apologists.

The team would not be this bad if Lavin were still the coach. It's not Mullin's fault we're this bad, but it's naive to think we'd be this bad under Lavin this year. You have no idea who else he would've brought in. He did not choose to be fired. Blaming this season on Lavin when he was fired before even getting a chance to finish recruiting is extremely poor logic. Diallo was still in play, and had he not been fired, you never know about Jordan and Obekpa. And don't pretend you know what would have happened. There is a chance they would both still be here.

« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2016, 05:36:57 PM »
I've found it tiring to follow along with the above arguments. Better to not get into the cage with posts like that. Just one thing though.  The schedule is really good.  And what's with everyone's preoccupation with Incarnate Word.  They're a solid mid major program.

Incarnate Word is not a mid major. A mid major is Wichita State, Gonzaga and Northern Iowa.
Really?  There's only three mid majors in the country?  You picked the three best in the country.  You must be really, really, objective.
Incarnate wood is a cupcake.
Exactly!  IMO, Incarnate Word is garbage.
They're garbage?  Really?  Then the whole bottom half of D1 is garbage too.  You're pretty harsh.  Just because you have never heard of someone before doesn't mean they're garbage.  Be objective.  Our SOS rank is 28 out of 351.  All teams play mid majors pre league.  Whats with the preoccupation with Incarnate Word.  We knew this was an impossible coaching task.  It took guts to take this job after what the previous staff did to the program.

This conversation doesn't have anything to do with the previous staff.  I never uttered anything about the last regime nor the current staff.  I don't care if we had beaten Incarnate Word.  It still wouldn't change my opinion they're garbage. 

Poison

« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »
Wow PRJohnnies looking up past posts just to hate on me. Clearly he is selective in what he reads. My points have just been that Lav should have been more fairly assessed and that this season was disappointing even more than I had thought. And I expect to knock on NCAA door next year with that talent-that is so terrible?

And as for Mullin I hope he does well, I really do because from being a part of the program you become a life-long johnnie nothing but fond memories and want the program to rise again.
But to be honest when Lav was first fired, my first call would have been to Marc Jackson and attempt to repair the bad relationship everyone speculates about. Man built the Warriors that many kids can relate to  and has great basketball mind with proven coaching record at highest level. Mullin, and I know no one likes to discuss this struggled in personnel department and GM in NBA. Perhaps he becomes a great coach and I hope he does but my preference would have been keeping  Lav 2 more years or Jackson.

Mark Jackson was so great for the Warriors, after their best season in ages, they fired him. Any idea why? Look it up, and you'll never want him to coach here.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 06:11:29 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2016, 06:13:50 PM »
the lavin haters would rather focus on transcripts, vacation habits, and the coaches' personal lives than the product on the court.

If the product on the court wasn't what could be described at best as pretty lousy - one  post season win in five years is one more than Norm had - few people would have been focused on the staff's fraudulent recruiting practices, serial infidelities, and family vacations disguised as recruiting trips. The fact is that those practices and others like them either led directly to the on court mediocrity or were a reflection of the contempt Lavin and his staff displayed for the university that allowed them to express satisfaction with the mediocre results.

Bobby Huggins can wear sweat suits and vomit on policemen because he wins. Mike Shrewshrenski can run up the clock when it strikes one because he wins. Lavin didn't win and it didn't affect his appetite in the slightest because he didn't care. You know what he cares about? Being on TV. Know how I can tell? He wears a shirt and tie.

Serial infidelities?

Poison

« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2016, 06:21:02 PM »
I've found it tiring to follow along with the above arguments. Better to not get into the cage with posts like that. Just one thing though.  The schedule is really good.  And what's with everyone's preoccupation with Incarnate Word.  They're a solid mid major program.

Incarnate Word is not a mid major. A mid major is Wichita State, Gonzaga and Northern Iowa.
Really?  There's only three mid majors in the country?  You picked the three best in the country.  You must be really, really, objective.

Every program that isn't an obvious high major doesn't automatically fall into the category of mid-major. Mid-major means that you play in one of the middle level conferences but you are capable of competing at a major level. How exactly does Incarnate Word warrant that kind of respect?

They are clearly one of the smallest, and of the least accomplished D1 programs in the game.

« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2016, 06:26:33 PM »

Yes, because your boy didn't make the NCAA Tournament with his massive recruiting haul until they were seniors (their 4th year) and you now expect Mullin to make it with his massive recruiting haul in their freshmen year (their 1st year). 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Foad

« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2016, 07:54:25 PM »
Serial infidelities?

Rico Hines, who evidently spent much of his time watching himself fornicate, rather than game film.

Foad

« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2016, 07:57:01 PM »
The team would not be this bad if Lavin were still the coach .... don't pretend you know what would have happened

I'll just let this lay there.

Poison

« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2016, 08:18:30 PM »
Serial infidelities?

Rico Hines, who evidently spent much of his time watching himself fornicate, rather than game film.

Michael Jordan fathered children all over the world.

« Reply #150 on: February 21, 2016, 08:20:58 PM »
The team would not be this bad if Lavin were still the coach .... don't pretend you know what would have happened

Mix and matching sentences on different subjects is "fun"

Foad

« Reply #151 on: February 21, 2016, 08:35:13 PM »

Mix and matching sentences on different subjects is "fun"

But presumably not as much fun as telling other people not to pretend to know what might have happened while you yourself are claiming to know what might have happened.

Foad

« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2016, 08:36:27 PM »
Serial infidelities?

If Rico Hines was one of the greatest assistant coaches who ever lived I'd have forgiven him his peccadilloes.

« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2016, 09:23:26 PM »

Yes, because your boy didn't make the NCAA Tournament with his massive recruiting haul until they were seniors (their 4th year) and you now expect Mullin to make it with his massive recruiting haul in their freshmen year (their 1st year). 

As to your point TRabinowitz- If that 2011-2012 core came intact (and up until the DQs and late arrivals) I whole heartedly expected for that team to be serious contenders in March.
Moe, Jakarr, Dom, Amir, Nuri, Dee,  Phil, Norvel, Amir, Gift that was a damn good collection of talent. And I have stated before that team would have put one hell of a scare if not beating into Kentucky. That was the #3 class in nation.

Fast Forward to now- Bashir, Ponds, Freudenberg (now #17 in nation and tops in BE), maybe Alkins or Thon and we jump? Added to Lovett, Yakwe, Sima, Mussini, Ellison-that on paper is a nice collection. My point being is that this is a talented group but not at same level as 2011-2012 when I expected tourney before the DQs. While March as a guarantee will be a stretch with the inexperience here I dont think NCAA knocking on the door is a stretch and certainly good NIT showing. Anything less than that I will start to have doubts.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:26:11 PM by friendofjohnnie »

« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2016, 09:31:51 PM »

As to your point TRabinowitz- If that 2011-2012 core came intact (and up until the DQs and late arrivals) I whole heartedly expected for that team to be serious contenders in March.
Moe, Jakarr, Dom, Amir, Nuri, Dee,  Phil, Norvel, Amir, Gift that was a damn good collection of talent. And I have stated before that team would have put one hell of a scare if not beating into Kentucky. That was the #3 class in nation.

Fast Forward to now- Bashir, Ponds, Freudenberg (now #17 in nation and tops in BE), maybe Alkins or Thon and we jump? Added to Lovett, Yakwe, Sima, Mussini, Ellison-that on paper is a nice collection. My point being is that this is a talented group but not at same level as 2011-2012 when I expected tourney before the DQs. While March as a guarantee will be a stretch with the inexperience here I dont think NCAA knocking on the door is a stretch and certainly good NIT showing. Anything less than that I will start to have doubts.

That team as you listed wouldn't have even sniffed the NCAA tournament in 2011-2012. No chance. Wouldn't have even had a winning record.

« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2016, 10:11:01 PM »

But dude, even by that 2011-2012 groups JUNIOR year they didn't have a good NIT run.  That entire class won ONE postseason game.  And you're making excuses for them, the fact of the matter is that every member of that class did come except for Norvel Pelle who turned out to be a massive bust anyway. You're making expectations for Mullin's team that Lavin's core group didn't even come closeeeeee to accomplishing.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2016, 10:21:33 PM »

But dude, even by that 2011-2012 groups JUNIOR year they didn't have a good NIT run.  That entire class won ONE postseason game.  And you're making excuses for them, the fact of the matter is that every member of that class did come except for Norvel Pelle who turned out to be a massive bust anyway. You're making expectations for Mullin's team that Lavin's core group didn't even come closeeeeee to accomplishing.

This is not making excuses for anything I am just comparing expectations that is all.
By their Junior year- Amir, Nuri, Norvel, Moe were all gone (then the valid argument is that they should have been replaced I get that) But it does not change that Moe and Amir did not play first semester together, Nuri did not make it out of his freshman year and like you said Norvel never got here. Jakarr never played with Moe.  So therefore a scattered class over 3 years was not the comparison. The comparison is classes intact with adding the couple young guns this year, what are the expectations for the team then and the team now?

And I think we should not be selling the team short next year. That is alot of talent that SHOULD be knocking on door of NCAA Tourney by mid-season and at the very least good NIT seed. The difference and everyones question will be-how will Mullin handle all the talent and will they thrive together or bust?  I argue that if Rawle and Thon join us we in tourney and if 1 does we are closer to tourney than if its just what it is now (which is not too bad).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:22:34 PM by friendofjohnnie »

Poison

« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2016, 10:55:24 PM »

Just like Mullin doesn't get credit for LoVett (yet) Lavin doesn't get credit the great Norvel Pelle, and a class that was ranked #3 in the nation because he never actually produced that class. Nurideen Lindsey was the second coming of Allen Iverson, until Kentucky took his lunch money, and vagina started bleeding uncontrollably.

As St.John's fans, (at least the ones with the intelligence to predict the future based on the past) we know that top ranked freshman are not a proven commodity. Out of that magnificent massively over-hyped freshman class, there were two players who were ready to play in the BE. I don't want to call out who they are, because it's completely obvious who they are. This next highly rated class will probably include many of the same types of players in that some will be very good right away, others will take more time and some simply won't be very good at all for a number of reasons.

That said, what it really comes down to is a coach with a system-one that will build a program that includes all aspects of that program. Since Lou, we've had coaches that could recruit, coaches that could teach defense, coaches that ignored a recruit's off the court behavior, coaches who couldn't recognize the talent they had and coaches who spent their entire tenure here in search of someone else to blame for their own failures. (Yes, that last one is Norm Roberts) But what will determine whether Mullin is right for this job is whether or not he and his staff can recruit, and then develop those recruits into players that fit a system in his vision.

Lavin brought a name back to St.John's. He did a lot of good here, and for that, I'm not going to bash him every time his name comes up. It wasn't an embarrassment to wear a St.John's t-shirt when he was here. It wasn't great either, but after Harrington and Roberts turned us into the laughing stock of D1 basketball, he made us relevant and he deserves credit for that. What he wasn't able to do was something that he never intended to do, and that is to recruit a specific kind of player that fit into specific kind of system. He collected talent from far and wide, but they were not a team. Last year excluded, (because it really started to come together in Feb of last year) Lavin recruited talented players who hadn't chosen STJ because they wanted to be part of something that they understood. They chose STJ only because of Lavin. And when they got here, for the first three years they were here, it seems like each player was playing a different game and all at the same time.

Two things we've seen from Mullin and his staff:

1. He is making an active attempt to recruit locally
2. He is particularly interested in foreign talent

IMO, he will succeed only if there is an understood vision for how these players will become a team.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:08:37 PM by Poison »

« Reply #158 on: February 21, 2016, 10:56:52 PM »
Wow Willie.
What kind of a post is this?  I thought you were smarter then this Tony.  Our SOS rank is 28 out of 351 and IW has roughly the same RPI as we do.  We were behind them early in the year because of the shape the previous regime left the program in.  (Plus they shot the lights out that night).  I guarantee you if we played them now it would be a totally different result.  Wow right.

« Reply #159 on: February 21, 2016, 11:13:54 PM »
Serial infidelities?

So for that he should be applauded? (Don't even know if it's true).