Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies

Moose

Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cardozo HS - Bayside, NY
« Reply #1060 on: February 01, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »
Where is Maven posting now? Kind of miss his imputs!

Nowhere.  Follow him on Twitter.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #1061 on: February 01, 2013, 02:45:06 PM »
From what I heard after Hardy came in from JUCO, Norm had been interested in him out of HS but he didn't have the grades.  Fortunately, he came back.

As for Naclerio, if you've never seen him on the sidelines, the guy is nuts.  A few years back, the father of one of his players actually deck him in the face.  No excuse for violence but that's the kind of reaction Naclerio's antics could elicit.  I don't see him being the dutiful assistant on anyone's bench (unless he's mellowed in the last few years).  Good, not great, HS coach.  Not worth the headache.

If Norm landed harded out of HS the board would have killed Norm.  Hardy wasn't ranked anywhere coming out of HS.

Chilleb

« Reply #1062 on: February 01, 2013, 02:46:45 PM »
It's not passing on Naclerio that did Norm in, it was passing on everyone. At the time, NYC may not have been producing a dozen lottery picks, but Norm lost a lot of players from the city that we needed. Just about everyone. The only one he landed was Hardy, and Norm didn't even know what he had.

Not to defend Norm, but Burrell was a good get (and would have been better with a different staff for four years), and from what everyone says Rob Thomas pre-injury was a legitimate top recruit.  Omari also got recruited by some big boys but apparently got out of shape and was never the player everyone thought he might be.  The problem with Norm was not only did he not get enough of the good NYC players (or the top ones, as we have done recently with Harkless and Obekpa), but he didn't compensate that loss by getting highly ranked guys from outside NYC.

In their high school rankings yes, but Norm's eye for talent and judgement overall was horrible. Yes, Hardy, Burrell, DJ and Brownlee all went out on a positive note, but they were basically 6 years in. Ricky Torres was a fringe top 100 prospect. He was barely a D1 player. As was Ryan Williams.
Norms biggest downfall was not recruiting Charles Jenkins every basketball circle around the area says it till this day, if he would have did that norm might still have a job at SJU.... I mean to say he did recruit Charles but didn't pursue him strong enough and instead put all his eggs in the Malcolm grant basket. And we see how that turned out.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:48:12 PM by Chilleb »

Moose

« Reply #1063 on: February 01, 2013, 03:10:04 PM »
It's not passing on Naclerio that did Norm in, it was passing on everyone. At the time, NYC may not have been producing a dozen lottery picks, but Norm lost a lot of players from the city that we needed. Just about everyone. The only one he landed was Hardy, and Norm didn't even know what he had.

Not to defend Norm, but Burrell was a good get (and would have been better with a different staff for four years), and from what everyone says Rob Thomas pre-injury was a legitimate top recruit.  Omari also got recruited by some big boys but apparently got out of shape and was never the player everyone thought he might be.  The problem with Norm was not only did he not get enough of the good NYC players (or the top ones, as we have done recently with Harkless and Obekpa), but he didn't compensate that loss by getting highly ranked guys from outside NYC.

In their high school rankings yes, but Norm's eye for talent and judgement overall was horrible. Yes, Hardy, Burrell, DJ and Brownlee all went out on a positive note, but they were basically 6 years in. Ricky Torres was a fringe top 100 prospect. He was barely a D1 player. As was Ryan Williams.
Norms biggest downfall was not recruiting Charles Jenkins every basketball circle around the area says it till this day, if he would have did that norm might still have a job at SJU.... I mean to say he did recruit Charles but didn't pursue him strong enough and instead put all his eggs in the Malcolm grant basket. And we see how that turned out.

Wasn't it Larry Wright over him too?

Chilleb

« Reply #1064 on: February 01, 2013, 03:11:33 PM »

Wasn't it Larry Wright over him too?
Yup good ole Norm, at his best

« Reply #1065 on: February 01, 2013, 03:15:09 PM »
norm had many downfalls...like turning his back on kilpatrick after he verballed to us...did poorly on the sat and reopened his recruiting...then apologized and said st john's was always his dream school.

both are in good places...norm at self's side in a major program and kilpatrick lighting up the big east at cincinnati.

Moose

« Reply #1066 on: February 01, 2013, 03:18:30 PM »
norm had many downfalls...like turning his back on kilpatrick after he verballed to us...did poorly on the sat and reopened his recruiting...then apologized and said st john's was always his dream school.

both are in good places...norm at self's side in a major program and kilpatrick lighting up the big east at cincinnati.

But I think we got Hardy after Sean couldnt make it.  Things worked out there I think.

« Reply #1067 on: February 01, 2013, 03:18:58 PM »
From what I heard after Hardy came in from JUCO, Norm had been interested in him out of HS but he didn't have the grades.  Fortunately, he came back.

As for Naclerio, if you've never seen him on the sidelines, the guy is nuts.  A few years back, the father of one of his players actually deck him in the face.  No excuse for violence but that's the kind of reaction Naclerio's antics could elicit.  I don't see him being the dutiful assistant on anyone's bench (unless he's mellowed in the last few years).  Good, not great, HS coach.  Not worth the headache.

If Norm landed harded out of HS the board would have killed Norm.  Hardy wasn't ranked anywhere coming out of HS.

He averaged 37 pts. as a Sr.  I wouldn't have complained.  But then, I drank the kool aid until almost the bitter end.

Moose

« Reply #1068 on: February 01, 2013, 03:24:13 PM »

He averaged 37 pts. as a Sr.  I wouldn't have complained.  But then, I drank the kool aid until almost the bitter end.

37 ppg in the PSAL though?  I'll be honest those Norm years are a blur and thank god they are but I don't recall him being mentioned in recruiting circles at all.  Might have been grades were so bad nobody bothered to rank him and such.  But then again you have people like Lenny Cooke ranked to the very end.

« Reply #1069 on: February 01, 2013, 03:35:01 PM »

Norm was on Hardy coming out of HS (as per Dwight's coach) but it took a prep year and JC to get the academics in order.

Poison

« Reply #1070 on: February 01, 2013, 03:54:16 PM »

Charles Jenkins, Michael Glover, Darryl Bryant, Scott Machado.

He probably could have had all of those guys. Imagine a starting 5 of Machado, Hardy, Jenkins, Glover and DJ.

« Reply #1071 on: February 01, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »
It's time to let go of Norm, and Maven's info is wrong.

Moose

« Reply #1072 on: February 01, 2013, 03:55:56 PM »

He probably could have had all of those guys. Imagine a starting 5 of Machado, Hardy, Jenkins, Glover and DJ.

Don't ever recall Glover or Machado as part of any STJ convo.  Then again Machado wasn't really highly ranked again the natives probably would have revolted.

Lets try to keep the threads on topic though please. 

I don't know but start a recruiting miss thread maybe in the main forum.

Poison

« Reply #1073 on: February 01, 2013, 03:57:15 PM »

Don't ever recall Glover or Machado as part of any STJ convo.  Then again Machado wasn't really highly ranked again the natives probably would have revolted.

Lets try to keep the threads on topic though please. 

I don't know but start a recruiting miss thread maybe in the main forum.

The point is that Norm couldn't land top talent, and almost all of the time he found his sleeper, the guy never woke up. A good staff lands top ranked kids, and finds the projects worth developing. Norm couldn't do either.

« Reply #1074 on: February 01, 2013, 04:31:59 PM »
but where do amir and phil stand if we bring in jermaine and jordan?

my point was, for next season, amir + phil are arguably more valuable than jermaine and jordan assuming everyone else stays.  so losing out on these recruits actually is not that bad provided the staff takes care of 2014 and beyond

So with that theory Syracuse shouldn't have signed Michael Carter-Williams because they had Dion Waiters?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #1075 on: February 01, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »
On side note Glen Braica was who pushed hard for Hardy.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #1076 on: February 01, 2013, 04:35:11 PM »
On side note Glen Braica was who pushed hard for Hardy.

That makes sense.

« Reply #1077 on: February 01, 2013, 04:42:17 PM »
Michael Glover went to SHU and never qualified how would he have ever qualified for SJU?  They both belong to the same NCAA and Big East.

« Reply #1078 on: February 01, 2013, 04:48:56 PM »

my point was, for next season, amir + phil are arguably more valuable than jermaine and jordan assuming everyone else stays.  so losing out on these recruits actually is not that bad provided the staff takes care of 2014 and beyond

So with that theory Syracuse shouldn't have signed Michael Carter-Williams because they had Dion Waiters?

Part of Boeheim's genius is the ability to stash top recruits for a year or two while his upperclassmen lead the team, finding ways to weave the young guys in over time.  There are not more than a handful of programs that can consistently pull this feat off and we are not one of them at this point.  Also Waiters and MCW have different games (and play different positions).

« Reply #1079 on: February 01, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »

Part of Boeheim's genius is the ability to stash top recruits for a year or two while his upperclassmen lead the team, finding ways to weave the young guys in over time.  There are not more than a handful of programs that can consistently pull this feat off and we are not one of them at this point.  Also Waiters and MCW have different games (and play different positions).

They also had Scoop Jardine and he still came.