Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY

• 784 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #720 on: June 22, 2009, 01:25:30 PM »
You know what, though? So what if those wins get cleared from the record and banners get taken down?  It's embarrassing, it's tough, but the fans remember you had a great year and saw a good team, the gate receipts stay with the school (the NCAA doesn't fine a school when they sanction them, so the cost is the cost of court costs).  And the program's seen as a little dirty (as long as you can't be connected with actually handing a baller cash).  It's not the most moral, and I am admittedly happy that the school I cheer on isn't considered "dirty," but the school stays in the fans' memories and the money's been made.

« Reply #721 on: June 22, 2009, 05:02:11 PM »
I get your angle, Peter, but I doubt STJ would take the gamble on the short-term gain. They can't afford to have two NCAA investigations in a decade.

It's like college basketball's Scarlet Letter.

There are still plenty of casual college basketball fans that remember the Jarvis money scandal and the Pittsburgh " rape" accusations. They know we were a good Big East program under Carnesecca and again in the late 90s, but we've been a Big East doormat for a while and may never get back to the former heights. They usually think we're sitting on a lot of basketball talent and squandering it.

boo3

« Reply #722 on: June 22, 2009, 05:12:29 PM »
  I can't believe i'm actually saying this, but i'm starting to feel sorry for this kid.   His dad and "handlers" have completely made a mockery of what should be one of the most exciting times of his life.    Now he probably goes to a JC for 1 year and struggles to be a second round pick next year.   Many of the draft sites, including nbadraft.net, have lance going undrafted,  while John Wall is No.1.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:13:11 PM by boo3 »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #723 on: June 22, 2009, 06:05:11 PM »
I get your angle, Peter, but I doubt STJ would take the gamble on the short-term gain. They can't afford to have two NCAA investigations in a decade.

It's like college basketball's Scarlet Letter.

There are still plenty of casual college basketball fans that remember the Jarvis money scandal and the Pittsburgh " rape" accusations. They know we were a good Big East program under Carnesecca and again in the late 90s, but we've been a Big East doormat for a while and may never get back to the former heights. They usually think we're sitting on a lot of basketball talent and squandering it.
Oh HELLS no, not for St. John's!  I'm saying for other universities with less of an implicit "morals clause," like Memphis.  I wasn't that big on the prospect of Lance from the get-go, I like my red flags less glaring. 

« Reply #725 on: June 28, 2009, 04:23:42 PM »
NO WAY! They're gonna be good next year.

« Reply #726 on: June 28, 2009, 05:59:44 PM »

Theyll probably be under investigation too

boo3

« Reply #727 on: June 28, 2009, 06:10:02 PM »

Weren't they at some point during Huggins tenure?  Not sure.  I guess the real question is.  Would you rather have 2- 5 sick years( ala Memphis)  and have a shot at the NCAA  championship,  or play close to the vest (ala st.john's),  and wallow in mediocrodity ?   this question probably deserves its own thread.  Personally,  I just want a run!   give me another run to the final four.  I just don't see it from this Admin./team  any time soon.

Not saying Cinci  makes a run or anything.  But lance going there(if he does),  what are we doing?   Really

« Reply #728 on: June 28, 2009, 06:16:03 PM »

Weren't they at some point during Huggins tenure?  Not sure.  I guess the real question is.  Would you rather have 2- 5 sick years( ala Memphis)  and have a shot at the NCAA  championship,  or play close to the vest (ala st.john's),  and wallow in mediocrodity ?   this question probably deserves its own thread.  Personally,  I just want a run!   give me another run to the final four.  I just don't see it from this Admin./team  any time soon.

Not saying Cinci  makes a run or anything.  But lance going there(if he does),  what are we doing?   Really

St Johns already had their run with shaddiness under previous coaches.. Now the Johnnies are paying for it
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 06:17:16 PM by Marco Baldi »

boo3

« Reply #729 on: June 28, 2009, 06:24:50 PM »

St Johns already had their run with shaddiness under previous coaches.. Now the Johnnies are paying for it

To a point Baldi ,  i agree.  But,  Harrington and Roberts have taken this holier than thou approach way too far.   Far worse has been done by teams that have come back a lot quicker than St. Johns.  Paying Keita $300 bucks a weeks pales in comparison to having someone take Rose and Doziers SATs....no?   You think Memphis fans care?  Probably not. They had the time of their lives 2 years ago,  and we still  suck!

I'm not advocating  cheating,  although it may seem that way.  Being irrelevalent blows! But no,   we're too good for Lance.   Enjoy debateing whether being 8th in Big East is a great season or not.  I'm not having it.

« Reply #730 on: June 28, 2009, 06:34:24 PM »

To a point Baldi ,  i agree.  But,  Harrington and Roberts have taken this holier than thou approach way too far.   Far worse has been done by teams that have come back a lot quicker than St. Johns.  Paying Keita $300 bucks a weeks pales in comparison to having someone take Rose and Doziers SATs....no?   You think Memphis fans care?  Probably not. They had the time of their lives 2 years ago,  and we still  suck!

I'm not advocating  cheating,  although it may seem that way.  Being irrelevalent blows! But no,   we're too good for Lance.   Enjoy debateing whether being 8th in Big East is a great season or not.  I'm not having it.

Somebody took Zendon Hamilton's SAT, another players grades were changed, cars were "loaned" to players. We went through this all already, and still didnt win anything. And do you honestly believe Keita was the only player on the payroll?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 06:35:52 PM by Marco Baldi »

boo3

« Reply #731 on: June 28, 2009, 06:46:26 PM »
        Someone took Zendons Sats?  never been proved.   Another players grades were changed ?  where?  Cars!  where's the proof?   Logic tells me if this was all true,  we would be considered a real "thug "  program.  guess what!  we're not.  Just by you. 

This stuff happens everywhere.  Like i said,  I can't wait till next March when we are all on here debating whether our 8th place BE finish was an accomplishment.  You know what.  It's not!   

« Reply #732 on: June 28, 2009, 06:50:23 PM »
        Someone took Zendons Sats?  never been proved.   Another players grades were changed ?  where?  Cars!  where's the proof?   Logic tells me if this was all true,  we would be considered a real "thug "  program.  guess what!  we're not.  Just by you. 

This stuff happens everywhere.  Like i said,  I can't wait till next March when we are all on here debating whether our 8th place BE finish was an accomplishment.  You know what.  It's not!

If "this stuff happens everywhere"-why are you having a hard time believing it happenned at St Johns?
Its clear that President of the University doesnt want to be involved with this kind of stuff anymore, thats why Norm was brought in

boo3

« Reply #733 on: June 28, 2009, 07:06:03 PM »

If "this stuff happens everywhere"-why are you having a hard time believing it happenned at St Johns?
Its clear that President of the University doesnt want to be involved with this kind of stuff anymore, thats why Norm was brought in

I never said i had a hard time believing it. Just wanted some proof. Think Uconn fans care they are subject to criticism at every turn?  Because i know you love to bust their chops.  Would you trade St.Johns last 5 years for Uconns, for a little "heat"?.  Your a fool if you wouldn't.  "Thats why  Norm  was brought in.'  And thats also why we suck. 

boo3

« Reply #734 on: June 28, 2009, 07:49:44 PM »
  My last post on this subject...   How bad does it suck that not only do we lose Lance,  but to another Big East school. Would that even have been fathomable 3 months ago? 
And the fact that we will lose to Cincy again next year!   With or without Lance!  Get the Pom Poms out boys...

Marillac

« Reply #735 on: June 28, 2009, 10:25:34 PM »

Baldi doesn't have the same burden of proof of even Perez Hilton.  All he needs is a rumor--sometimes from himself.

« Reply #736 on: June 28, 2009, 10:57:18 PM »
wow this is pretty shocking and sudden
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #737 on: June 28, 2009, 11:41:17 PM »

What are you reading Cosmo again, Dave?  You sound like a 17 year old chick that just got dumped. 

« Reply #738 on: June 28, 2009, 11:50:23 PM »

Baldi doesn't have the same burden of proof of even Perez Hilton.  All he needs is a rumor--sometimes from himself.

Which of "my rumors" do you not believe to be true yourself?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:21:18 AM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #739 on: June 29, 2009, 12:18:03 AM »

What are you reading Cosmo again, Dave?  You sound like a 17 year old chick that just got dumped.

I'm not sure I get the reference.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle