When do the excuses run out?

• 268 replies
Re: When do the excuses run out?
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 06:54:18 PM »
The transfer portal is the only way to fill a roster with experince an talent if year 3 is to be the turn around year under Anderson, Anderson leads fans to believe it takes years to build a team to compete at the top but in truth it only takes a great recruiter an coach.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2021, 07:27:56 PM »
The transfer portal is the only way to fill a roster with experince an talent if year 3 is to be the turn around year under Anderson, Anderson leads fans to believe it takes years to build a team to compete at the top but in truth it only takes a great recruiter an coach.

If all it takes is a great recruiter and coach, then we should just go hire one of those. Simple.

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2021, 11:25:26 PM »
I think we've all acknowledged hi shortcomings but are also giving him a normal amount of time to show progress. Half a season with his own players is not a normal amount of time to judge any coach in any sport.

Hate to break it to you but no big name is coming here. As I've said all along regarding Anderson I'll give him 3 years. If he doesn't have us in the tourney by then then it's probably time to move on. 

Since Anderson has such a great track record shouldn't he be able to bring in quality top 100 talent that want to play for him then? The people on here that keep bringing up his track record and how he has never had a losing season should also admit that recruits should want to come play for him then. Look at what other coaches with a track record are doing at other schools: Musselman at Arkansas, Kevin Keatts at NC state etc.

Bottom line is that hes recruiting has been horrible (worst in the big east thus far), in game substitutions have been head scratching,  we are a horrendous defensive team, a horrendous offensive team, and run an antiquated system. All in all he has been terrible this far. What has made you believe that he will become successful here? I agree that he should be given 4-5 years here but it has been so frustrating to watch this team.

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2021, 12:03:21 AM »
Zero head coaching experience? Then you don't hire the guy. This isn't CYO. This is the Big East. Mullin was a bad hire all the way around.

Anderson's barely implemented his system yet and his guys have barely played together. He hasn't had one full season with his guys and you're already giving up on him?

That's why this job is shitsville.

Hasn't implemented his system yet... Another excuse.

Hate to break it to you this leaky half court defense and no half court offense is what it is. We've seen it for 2 years now. None of these guys are taking monumental leaps
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2021, 12:07:17 AM »
Since Anderson has such a great track record shouldn't he be able to bring in quality top 100 talent that want to play for him then? The people on here that keep bringing up his track record and how he has never had a losing season should also admit that recruits should want to come play for him then. Look at what other coaches with a track record are doing at other schools: Musselman at Arkansas, Kevin Keatts at NC state etc.

Bottom line is that hes recruiting has been horrible (worst in the big east thus far), in game substitutions have been head scratching,  we are a horrendous defensive team, a horrendous offensive team, and run an antiquated system. All in all he has been terrible this far. What has made you believe that he will become successful here? I agree that he should be given 4-5 years here but it has been so frustrating to watch this team.

Unfortunately this is the reality
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2021, 12:50:56 AM »
No one wants to play in an old outdated system with unpredictable rotations and poor halfcourt offensive sets. This is the reality.

Can someone tell me how Von Macon is the  top recruiter on this staff? What big time talent did he bring in at St Louis or Rutgers? He wasn't even the lead recruiter on those teams.

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2021, 12:56:12 AM »
I think if it’s not clear that the team is moving in the right direction after next season, it’s ok to move on.

Two weeks ago you were praising his player development.

You guys are psychopaths. The problem at St. John’s is us. We are a truly despicable fan base. There is never a middle ground and no coach is ever more than 3 weeks away from talks of firing. Everybody thinks they are a big shot.

No more firing. Are you people insane? How many goddamn times are we going to fire someone? Does it ever get better? Are you crazy f*cks capable of pattern recognition?

Give Anderson an RBG contract and call it a decade.

He’s going to win 3-4 in a row at some point this year and some lunatics will be right back on the mountain top singing his praises.

Johnny23

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2021, 08:12:40 AM »

Not necessarily. Some coaches are able to win consistently (like Anderson has done for 18 consecutive seasons) without pulling in top 100 recruits.

Dayton, St. Mary's, Davidson and VCU are all examples of programs and coaches winning without top 100 recruits.

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2021, 09:45:22 AM »
In order of minutes played, here’s the number of games our top 8 has played under CMA:

Champ - 42
Posh - 12
Williams - 43
Cole - 12
Dunn- 36
Wusu - 12
Moore - 12
Earlington - 44

We all know CMA is a system coach. Systems take time to learn and to incorporate. Those 8 guys AT MOST have 12 games together. Half of them havnt played 15 games at sju. He does not have the equivalent of one upperclassmen of his own who has been in his system for 2+ years.

If you disagree with his system and whether or not it can win at SJU that is fair. If you think his in game coaching is gonna prevent him from getting into the top half the BE thats also reasonable. There’s plenty of decisions I don’t agree with but that is every coach and every fan base.

There certainly hasn’t been much to be happy with this BE season, but to answer your question (after 44 games into his sju tenure :-)) when will the excuses stop? When he has some upperclassmen of his own and he shows he can’t win with them.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2021, 09:53:46 AM »
Two weeks ago you were praising his player development.

You guys are psychopaths. The problem at St. John’s is us. We are a truly despicable fan base. There is never a middle ground and no coach is ever more than 3 weeks away from talks of firing. Everybody thinks they are a big shot.

No more firing. Are you people insane? How many goddamn times are we going to fire someone? Does it ever get better? Are you crazy f*cks capable of pattern recognition?

Give Anderson an RBG contract and call it a decade.

He’s going to win 3-4 in a row at some point this year and some lunatics will be right back on the mountain top singing his praises.

Are you responding to me or the group?

I do not want them to fire Mike Anderson. That doesn't mean they won't. I did not want them to fire Fran Fraschilla even though he couldn't beat Detroit with four NBA players (2 seniors) on his team. We've had made awful choices when it comes to hiring a coach. The plan has been shit every single time from second Coach Carnesecca handed the keys to Brian Mahoney.

That doesn't mean we don't keep searching for our Steve Pikiell.

Johnny23

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2021, 09:58:54 AM »

I do not want them to fire Mike Anderson. That doesn't mean they won't. I did not want them to fire Fran Fraschilla even though he couldn't beat Detroit with four NBA players (2 seniors) on his team. We've had made awful choices when it comes to hiring a coach. The plan has been shit every single time from second Coach Carnesecca handed the keys to Brian Mahoney.

Its disgraceful that Rutgers can turn a ship around that's been lampooned for far longer than the Johnnies in short order. Pikiell's done a masterful job there.

ras

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2021, 11:30:06 AM »
The problem w these easy transfer rules is that it’s a 2 way street. Let’s hope we gain more then we loose. I am worried about Champ.

Poison

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2021, 01:00:12 PM »
Its disgraceful that Rutgers can turn a ship around that's been lampooned for far longer than the Johnnies in short order. Pikiell's done a masterful job there.

I think Pikiell has done a great job, but he didn’t turn them around that quickly.

Johnny23

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2021, 01:34:32 PM »
I think Pikiell has done a great job, but he didn’t turn them around that quickly.

Keep in mind we're talking about Rutgers here. They haven't even been to the dance in 30 years. In terms of Rutgers time, he turned them around rather quickly. If we were in the B10 we'd never see the light of day.

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2021, 03:11:45 PM »
He’s going to win 3-4 in a row at some point this year 
When and where? Have some extra Depaul and Georgetown games been added to the schedule that I don't know about?

Foad

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2021, 04:11:18 PM »
UAB  89–41   (.685)
Miss 111–57  (.661)
Ark  169–102 (.624)
SJU  23–21   (.523)

Onward and downward: http://www.bigeastboards.com/

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2021, 07:58:32 PM »
Not necessarily. Some coaches are able to win consistently (like Anderson has done for 18 consecutive seasons) without pulling in top 100 recruits.

Dayton, St. Mary's, Davidson and VCU are all examples of programs and coaches winning without top 100 recruits.

But Anderson did recruit well at Arkansas and Mizzou and got top 100 talent and 4 star recruits there. Yeah those are the examples of some programs that win sometimes without getting top 100 level talent. Can you name the others that don't win?

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2021, 08:00:14 PM »
Enough of the excuses already. If you watch the game and know basketball you know that this team does not have the talent right now to compete in the Big East. We are bad and don't do anything well. The fact is that we have regressed not gotten better. We have no real difference makers like we need to come in and turn this program around for CMA. I like Pinzon and Drissa but they aren't going to be difference makers that make us a top 5-6 Big east Team right away.

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2021, 08:31:03 PM »

I responded to you and then transitioned to the group.  I thought using "you guys" to start that transition would make that clear.

You are absolutely wrong if you think the problem has been us "making awful choices when it comes to hiring a coach."  The problem is this program and its fans.

When you fire a coach, you are committing to a rebuild. Lavin's rebuild was delayed a year thanks to being bequeathed 10 seniors. His name recognition and personality allowed him to keep everyone.

Anderson is far from perfect.  Our half court offense is basic.  We have no inbounds plays.  We don't outrecruit any major schools for highly regarded recruits. But we are a deeply flawed program, so what can we expect? This is why I pushed back against some of the early outlandish comments made by posters.  I even wrote then that I'd be the one defending him when the firing squad comes around. Hell, our official nickname should be St. John's Firing Squad.  Nobody fires more coaches than us.

Poison

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2021, 09:59:16 PM »
I responded to you and then transitioned to the group.  I thought using "you guys" to start that transition would make that clear.

You are absolutely wrong if you think the problem has been us "making awful choices when it comes to hiring a coach."  The problem is this program and its fans.

When you fire a coach, you are committing to a rebuild. Lavin's rebuild was delayed a year thanks to being bequeathed 10 seniors. His name recognition and personality allowed him to keep everyone.

Anderson is far from perfect.  Our half court offense is basic.  We have no inbounds plays.  We don't outrecruit any major schools for highly regarded recruits. But we are a deeply flawed program, so what can we expect? This is why I pushed back against some of the early outlandish comments made by posters.  I even wrote then that I'd be the one defending him when the firing squad comes around. Hell, our official nickname should be St. John's Firing Squad.  Nobody fires more coaches than us.

The problem is the program. Not the fans. Blaming the fans is a suckers game. People go in NY when the team wins. Our former head coaches have gone on to do absolutely nothing. Just like evaluating a player is a talent, evaluating a coach is a talent, too.