Jordan Williams - PF - Torrington HS - Torrington, CT - MARYLAND

• 147 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Scout says we offered this guy, he's been on St. John's list since last year.  Anyone know anything about him?

http://saintjohns.scout.com/a.z?s=443&p=8&c=1&nid=3205414

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=55405&season=2009:

December, 2007: Jordan is an extremely polished low post player. He has excellent footwork and soft hands that allow him to easily establish position and catch a variety of passes. He has an impressive repertoire of moves with his back to the basket that allows him the versatility to score over either shoulder. He is equally effective from the high post where he shows a consistently soft touch on his elbow jumper. Jordan doesn't have great size for the power forward position, but he plays bigger than he is because of his physical nature. Consequently, he finishes well under the basket, despite his lack of vertical explosion, and also gets himself to the free-throw line where he converts a high percentage. He is also a very effective rebounder because he is quick to block out, holds on to everything that his hands touch, and shows a willingness to rebound out of his area. Although he isn't much of a shot blocking threat on the defensive end of the floor he is capable of guarding bigger players on the most given his physical nature. Overall, he is as skilled of a big man as you will find who has a great understanding of how to play inside. If he were three inches taller he would be unstoppable.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 08:18:04 PM by kjd01067 »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Jordan Williams - PF - Torrington HS - Torrington, CT
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:21:16 PM »
That was a good interview on Redmen.  This kid sounds like... he might be a decent player, from what I see around the internet from his games against real competition.  Yet he's still a 1-star on Scout, not rated on Rivals... CT isn't that far off the NYC path, is it?

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 10:22:07 PM »
That was a good interview on Redmen.  This kid sounds like... he might be a decent player, from what I see around the internet from his games against real competition.  Yet he's still a 1-star on Scout, not rated on Rivals... CT isn't that far off the NYC path, is it?

Thats why I put no stock into what rivals or scout has to say.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kob24

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 11:28:26 PM »
hes a  A10 player right now with potential to be a real good big east 4 year player. his sister is actually justins ex. his uncle was jim calhouns first recruit or something like that. he needs to prep if he wants to step foot in the big east but hes good.

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 12:11:17 AM »
No, CT isn't that far.
 He's on a loaded NE Playaz team with elite prospects like 6'10" Erik Murphy (Florida), one of the best shooters in the country Mike Marra (Louisville), athletic Jason Morris (top 25-50 2010), 6'8" Nate Lubick (top 50 2010), and Austin Carroll. The team is coached by former Celtics coach John Carroll and BC/NBA player Jay Murphy.

He's realistically a 3 star recruit. He's a skilled 4, but lacking in the level of athleticism you'd hope to find at the Big East level. He'd be a solid four-year role player for St. John's.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 10:37:10 AM »
Cool, thanks for the info.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 07:08:01 PM »
Cool, thanks for the info.
Happy to help.

Jeff Goodman of FoxSports.com wrote about him today.
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2008/07/16/CARACTER_SAGA_GOES_ON_BAD_DAYE_IN_SPOKANE_VILLA_6_DEADLINE_TODAY

Two players who have improved significantly are Naadir Tharpe and Jordan Williams of the New England Playaz. Tharpe will be re-classified into the Class of 2011 and will spend the next three years at Brewster Academy (N.H.). Williams is getting plenty of attention from high-majors because of his size and ability to score in the paint. …

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 10:22:59 AM »
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=829906

Here is a name for big men fanatics to chew on this week. Jordan Williams of the New England Playaz came off the bench and provided a major shot in the arm at the four and five position in his team's hard fought win.

The 6-foot-8 big man has incredibly soft hands, catching every fastball thrown at him and grabbed tough rebounds on both sides of the floor. In fact, he was the best rebounder on his team.

"I was terrible in the spring. Just terrible," Williams said. "But when I started getting used to the competition and the type of players that you play at this level, I started playing better. I adjusted to it and things have been going pretty good."

Oh yes they have. Williams has been one of the hottest players this month for coaches. He said Georgetown, Maryland, Xavier, Providence, Rhode Island and UMass have offered. John Thompson III, Gary Williams, Sean Miller and Keno Davis were all on hand to see the young 17-year-old score 14 points (12 in the second half).

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 01:38:08 PM »
http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2008/07/20/sports/doc488166dccaccc189868017.txt

Jordan Williams sifts through college offers

He spoke Friday from his Torrington home just a day after returning from a 17-game, nine-day road trip that included stops in Cincinnati and Georgia.

“I am not getting big-headed,” he added. “I am just trying to stay content, keep my composure and focus on getting better and quicker, and helping my team. I’m working toward getting to places where I want to go.”

Though Xavier, Providence, UMass, Rhode Island, Virginia Tech and St. John’s have already made firm offers, many other schools, like UConn, have also shown repeated interest via written cards and letters.

No final decision or verbal commitment is expected soon, but Jordan is hopeful of narrowing the list by the end of the summer.

“Wherever I go, I know my parents (mom Dee and father LeRon) will follow, and I will not make a decision unless the three of us agree,” he said. “No one has less of an opinion. All three of us are equal.”

Part of the decision may be based on whether a school offers a criminal justice program; Williams is mulling over a potential career as a police officer or sheriff.

For now, Williams’ primary focus is on the remaining weeks of the AAU schedule, including the Adidas Super 64 Classic in Las Vegas next week, where many recruiters will be watching.

The Playaz squad features University of Florida-bound forward Eric Murphy and Nate Lubick, who is being recruited by UCLA and Georgetown.

“They have been playing AAU basketball their whole lives, and this is only my second year,” said Williams. “They are such smart players and have helped me a great deal on what to expect.”

Williams, who will turn 18 on Oct. 11, fully expects to be back at Torrington High in the fall. Although he had briefly considered going to prep school, he never made a visit to any school.

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 12:18:36 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=3505081

Jordan Williams (6-8, 240)
Senior, Torrington, Conn.
Williams is a late bloomer who is now getting attention from the high-major level. He has thick frame with long arms and very soft hands. He doesn't have great lift but his feet are quite nimble for a man his size. He is best described as blue-collar around the basket and he rebounds well in traffic. He has a strong drop-step move, but overall his post moves are raw.

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 03:46:15 PM »
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=832706

Vegas Events Top Surprises

Jordan Williams, PF, New England Playaz 
 Being quite frank during a Rivals.com interview during the adidas Super 64, Williams admitted that he just wasn't that good during the spring. What a difference a summer can make.
Now Williams is being trailed by ACC and Big East coaches as the most productive post player for the New England Playaz. He is one of those post players who you expect a double-double from whenever he hits the court.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 10:44:47 AM »
Quick Rise For Williams

August 4, 2008

by Justin Young, Rivals.com

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=833383

After a sizzling July showing, big man Jordan Williams is now in a position where he's going to have his pick on where to go for college. Four months ago, the 6-foot-9, 245-pound post from Torrington (Conn.) High School didn't think he'd be in this position.

Williams took his game to another level in July with the New England Playaz and finished his last AAU season out with a bang. He was one of the top surprises in Sin City and now his recruitment has exploded.

With his improved play, big body, soft hands and soaring confidence, Williams has watched his recruitment take off.

Williams said he has offers from Georgetown, Maryland, Marquette, Villanova, Providence, Connecticut, St. John's, Xavier and Rhode Island while Wake Forest, Arizona, Pittsburgh, Siena and Seton Hall are showing interest.

While he doesn't have any concrete dates for any other visits, Williams said he hopes to do so in the near future.

"As of right now, there isn't anyone standing out only because it only really started towards the end of July. That's when I started getting the most calls. St. John's has been there before the spring. They've been there for a while but most of the schools just started to recruit me hard after the July period. So it's not like there is just one school that has stood out just yet.

"I've always said that I want to go to a school where I can make an impact. I want to go to a school that needs me and not just wants me. I want to make a difference wherever I go. It doesn't have to be close to home either. If it means I have to go to the West Coast, I'll go to the West Coast. If it means it's near my home, I'll go there. I want to go where it fits me the best."

The ride isn't over yet for the future Rivals150 prospect. He's just beginning and taking it all in at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:57:05 AM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 07:47:09 PM »
This is good but we need players to sign on the dotted line to secure the recruit.

We are the favorite for Omari but he is now going to UCONN and that has not faired for us well in the past, We need the DEAL sealed SOON!!!!!!!

NORM, get it DONE NOW.

kob24

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 08:04:50 PM »
His sister is a sophmore at st. Johns

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 12:13:36 AM »
Zagsblogs reiterates some of Rivals said...

http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/08/04/williams-likes-st-johns/#more-1378

Jordan Williams, a 6-9, 245-pound power forward from Torrington (Conn.) High, has picked up a lot of offers with his strong play this summer, but says “St. John’s has been there before the spring.”

Williams told Rivals he has offers from Georgetown, Maryland, Marquette, Villanova, Providence, Connecticut, St. John’s, Xavier and Rhode Island and interest from Seton Hall, Wake Forest, Arizona, Pittsburgh and Siena. (Maryland is recruiting him pretty hard.)

Williams has a sister who attends St. John’s and he is also close friends with Trinity Catholic standout Tevin Baskin, who is also friendly with Da’Shena Stevens, an incoming member of the St. John’s women’s basketball team.

“I’d like to hit the road with my mom and dad and see a couple of schools that are within driving distance from my home,” Williams told Justin Young of Rivals. “I’m going to sit down with my parents and decide where I’m going to go. I’m not too far from a couple of schools that are recruiting me.

“As of right now, there isn’t anyone standing out only because it only really started towards the end of July. That’s when I started getting the most calls. St. John’s has been there before the spring. They’ve been there for a while but most of the schools just started to recruit me hard after the July period. So it’s not like there is just one school that has stood out just yet.

“I’ve always said that I want to go to a school where I can make an impact. I want to go to a school that needs me and not just wants me. I want to make a difference wherever I go. It doesn’t have to be close to home either. If it means I have to go to the West Coast, I’ll go to the West Coast. If it means it’s near my home, I’ll go there. I want to go where it fits me the best.”
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 03:17:42 PM »
Wouldn't if be ironic if after all this talk about Omari, Durand, Lance, Parrom -the top NYC kids,

we ended up w 2 Ct kids, Baskin & Williams.

But, if the 2 kids that list us at or near the top- Omari & Jordan take the final 2-
I for one would be very happy
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 03:24:29 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 08:52:51 PM »
If we wound up with the South Kent duo and Williams, it would be the most solid overall class of the Roberts era.

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 01:26:46 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=3520471

Jordan Williams, 6-8, PF
Senior, Torrington, Conn./Torrington

Williams has good size and strength, which he uses to wreak havoc in the post on both ends of the court. He uses his size to carve out deep position in the post for rebounding and scoring close to the basket. Williams, despite his size, runs the floor reasonably well and will finish in transition, keeping up with the smaller, quicker guards. He rebounds in traffic very well, and extra contact does not seem to bother him most of the time. Once he receives the ball in the post, he relies on his emerging post game to score in the paint, though he needs to continue to improve his footwork and post moves. Williams needs to continue to improve his body, which will lead to even better conditioning and make him effective for longer stretches. Williams does contest shots, though he needs to use his imposing size to affect the game more on the defensive end.