Jordan Williams - PF - Torrington HS - Torrington, CT - MARYLAND

• 147 replies
Re: Jordan Williams - PF - Torrington HS - Torrington, CT - MARYLAND
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2008, 08:14:33 PM »
Hold the ship until 2009-10, when guys close to our two new staff members are seniors.

Williams would have been real nice, but the it only becomes a huge loss if Coker and Wait are garbage and R. Thomas never recovers. There are enough bodies to man the 4 and 5 (I'm assuming Thomas never fully regains his speed and finishes his career as an undersized backup power forward). We just have to see how they progress.

I get the feeling Famous starts receiving more frequent calls from us.

I don't think Famous is in the plans now. I think this was a matter of Jordan can get a lot more immediate playing time at Maryland than he could at St. John's. Bottom line is he should be a starter day 1 at Maryland where as he might not have seen much time under Juniors/Seniors Burrell, Evans, Wait, Coker, Thomas.

I think thats a hard thing to overcome recruiting when you can play 30 min immediately in the ACC vs sitting on the bench for a year in Big East.

I don't think Jordan is a good enough player to come in and steal time from guys who will have two years under their belt but I do think Jordan will be a nice player. I think he would have been a good fit here but its hard to pass up on immediate playing time on a school as prestigious as Maryland and Gary Williams is a very good coach as well. James Gist also developed really nicely under Williams and got drafted last season to the NBA. I'm sure this was pointed out.

I wish Jordan best of luck at Maryland.
so you're saying a guy who could make an impact in the acc as a low post scorer couldn't make our team?

it's not like we have elvin hayes and wes unseld up front.

Where did I say he could make an impact in the acc as a low post scorer? I just said he'll receive immediate playing time there and not here.

Playing time that most experts don't think he'll be ready for as a frosh.

all of a sudden, he's not ready?  maryland has a better program than st john's.  if he can get 30 minutes there, he could get 30 minutes here. in case you haven't noticed, karl malone isn't playing for us.  we went head to head with the competition, and again...we lost.   

that's what i'm talking about.  again, if we're saddled with roberts next october, you'll be talking about saving ships for 2011...then 2012...and the beat goes on.

Newsie, I'm just quoting about a half dozen links in this thread.  Read 'em if you feel like it, ignore them if you don't.  Experts say he will need developing but that he has an extremely high upside (TUP if you like).  I don't know the kid but until he turned SJU down he wasn't Karl Malone either.  Yes SJU lost, but if it's for playing time the argument has been made and I will second that he'll see more immediate time at MD.  Why do you think the they're on the list of almost every big guy we discuss?  They have little to no height on their team and need big guys ergo playing time for these guys.  MD is obviously a better program than SJU and Gary Williams a bigger name with better credentials than Norm but they lost a lot of players last year and have little returning scoring or rebounding, especially from their bigs and I'm sure that was part of this kid's decision making process.  I'm not a Norm proponent and am not happy he lost another one.  Just stating facts and opinions of some that know more than your and I.

kob24

« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2008, 10:16:48 PM »
but news he isn't ready to play I have known him since he was a freshman. I know him mentally and physically. He is gonna be a very good four year player I don't see him getting 25 minutes over at Maryland unless things are bad. And I'm not making excusess for norm or anyone this is y'all alma mater u don't want just anyone getting a scholarship so u save it for norm or the next coach or whatever

« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
maybe i don't know the definition of "ready".  we won eleven games last season.  in my mind, that meant no one was "ready".  at least not ready for the big time.

maybe williams isn't ready either...but he could be more ready than anyone who suited up for us 07-08.

« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2008, 12:10:02 AM »
I'll break it down pretty simple. Maryland has little to no bigs(PF/C) on their team in 2009. Jordan Williams immediately jumps up on the depth charts by default. At St. John's he would be competing with 4 returning scholarship players who will have experience under their belt.

Stronger programs don't play freshman. I'm not saying we're a strong program but ideally we'd like to be and based on that I'd hope that Dele, Burrell, Evans, Wait will play more than someone coming in as they would be improved after 2 seasons(Wait 1 season).

Whats better for a kid? Going in and getting major minutes all 4 years? Or playing everyday in practice against guys who are better and stronger than you and you come into year 2 more prepared? I'm not sure I think either road is a good one to take and Jordan chose road major minutes.

This is a loss for us and staff as we were finally on the verge of being ahead of the curve but we're still behind. Ultimately is this a major set back? No not really but its frustrating for sure. You'd hope we'd be past this by now. I don't want to see Norm use a scholarship on a player to use one on a player save it for a quality guy. Lesson be learned we could have had Donald Williams instead we have Omari Lawrence. Lets be patient now.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2008, 12:54:49 AM »
you had me until you used the "p" word.

i think norm has been around too long for anyone to be patient.  it's time he either performs...or packs his bags.

« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2008, 01:13:47 AM »
you had me until you used the "p" word.

i think norm has been around too long for anyone to be patient.  it's time he either performs...or packs his bags.

You are dwelling on the past when I'm looking at the right now. Right now I feel we should be patient in where we are handing out the next scholarship to. If this means to a stud in 2010 so be it. I hear your frustration but it is what it is and I'm looking forward. I thought I would have had you by "Hello"
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:14:19 AM by JJ »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

sjd8886

« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2008, 10:16:20 PM »
honestly, we didnt lose out for the normal reasons...the kid realized hes a 3 star recruit and most likely will be just a good college player...besides that he wants to make sure if he gets hurt or his situation changes in any way, he wont be screwed...his education is important to him...you know if it was something else there would be hints at it...we've seen the comments before on why kids chose other schools over us, and it was obvious the reason

« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2008, 08:16:57 PM »
Beat goes on.

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.