Jordan Williams - PF - Torrington HS - Torrington, CT - MARYLAND

• 147 replies
Re: Jordan Williams - PF - Torrington HS - Torrington, CT - MARYLAND
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2008, 08:41:22 AM »
acrimony I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but are u saying Omari isn't abig recruit. And stop saying Marist was the only school recruit burrell that was far from the case he was recruited by alot of high majors marist was the school I named because they and st.johns was the first and when it came down to it he liked those schools.

No, I am saying OMARI is a huge recruit. He is the only HUGE recruit in 5 years that Norm has landed on an even playing field against the big boys. With Burrell, we were they before the big boys showed up and we had a slight edge. Also-even with Williams, we were their first there but still lost out on him as Williams came in later in the game and took him away. This is par for the course for Norm. 

« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2008, 10:39:49 AM »
the bottom line is the beat goes on.

norm has shown over and over and over again that he's in over his head.

the only card left to play is Lance.

kjd01067

« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2008, 10:57:28 AM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=865757

October 20, 2008

Dan Painter
TerrapinTimes.com

Let it not be said that Jordan Williams isn't a man of his word.

The text alarm sounded tonight and the message was, "Hey, how you doing? Just wanted you to know that I just committed to Maryland."

To all Maryland hoops fans, those words are indeed a welcome sound. Desperate for a low post scoring threat, the 6-9, 245 lb insider from Torrington, CT made his verbal pledge to Assistant Coach Chuck Driesell Monday evening, and was waiting for a return call from Head Coach Gary Williams as TT broke the exclusive news.

After a return call from TT, the friendly, engaging Williams broke it all down.

"I really appreciate your interest. I promised you I would contact you as soon as I made a decision, and I am a man of my word," said Williams.

And, after all the speculation about where he might wind up, Williams spoke of the deciding factor.

"It was Maryland's criminal justice system that really was the difference. They have the number one criminal justice program in the country, and that is the area which I have always been interested in," said Williams. "You are never sure if basketball is going to work out for you, and so I wanted something to be able to fall back on. I hope when my basketball days are over, I can go into police work or detective work and that can be my career. Maryland was a great fit basketball wise, but the academic side of it was what made the decision for me."

As the days dragged on since his visit to St. John's, many speculated on what the decision was going to be....Maryland, St. John's, or another program that might enter the picture. In the end, it was a two horse race.

"It took a long time to sort it all out, because I really like both schools a lot, and really like the head coaches (SJ Head Coach Norm Roberts) and their staffs. And it was tougher in a way to turn down St. John's, since ironically, my sister goes there. But I had to do what was best for me."

Maryland's staff did a good job of showing Williams exactly how he would fit in.

"Coach Williams said they need a scorer in the paint, and they feel like I can play both the "5" and the "4" spots, " said Williams. "They see me as a back to the basket player, but one who, in time, can step out a little and face up too. That is a part of my game which I hope to improve, and I think Coach Williams can help me get better with that aspect of my play. My ability to step out a bit and shoot, and my ballhandling need the most work. But I do feel like I can score down low, and that is what Maryland needs."

Williams' parents were supportive of his decision. His grandfather was in law enforcement, which first attracted him to the field.

"They both made the trip down to College Park with me on my visit, and they were impressed by everything. I think the fact that academics and my interest in criminal justice was a big factor in my decision made them happy. We thought this through and it was definitely not a snap decision."

Williams, who has two sisters and one brother (the brother is a hoopster as well), is getting back to good health as he is almost fully healed from an ankle injury.

"It's coming along, and now that I have this decision over with, I can concentrate on my academics and getting ready for practice to begin. I want all the Maryland fans to know I am excited to be a Terp, and I consider it a great honor. I am going to go to a very good school to play for a great coach. Six months ago, I wouldn't have dreamed this all could have happened."

Williams said that his academics are in good shape and that "Maryland has received all my transcripts and are happy with my grades. I am doing very well in school. But it's been tough to concentrate on school with all the recruiting going on. I really wanted to keep the recruiting under control and I felt like I would have been happy at either Maryland or St. John's. I didn't want to add on other schools when I knew I had two good choices. The basketball opportunities were good at both places, but the quality of my chosen major swung it in Maryland's favor," said Williams.

TT scouted Williams as he performed this summer for the New England Playaz in Las Vegas. As his confidence grew, the play of Williams elevated him into a high major recruit. Among the other schools who pursued Williams were Arizona, Marquette, Indiana, Georgetown, Providence, and UMass. Clearly, Jordan Williams was THE inside performer at the top of the Terps' wish list. His skills will hopefully fill the program's biggest need.

« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2008, 12:05:36 PM »
Hoops Weiss loves taking shots at Norm
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2008/10/terps-outslug-st-johns-again.html
October 21, 2008
Maryland continues to beat St. John’s out for post prospects. First, it was 6-8 James Padgett of Lincoln, who chose the Terps over the Red Storm. Now, it is 6-10 Jordan Williams of Torrington, Conn., who announced for Maryland over the weekend.

« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2008, 12:13:30 PM »
That's not a shot, that's a fact

« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2008, 12:33:48 PM »

Exactly. Baldi continues to worship at the knees of Norm becuase he knows nothing about what it takes to make a real coach. He is stuck in his 8th grade playing summer ball in Breezy Point.

« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2008, 12:36:01 PM »

Exactly. Baldi continues to worship at the knees of Norm becuase he knows nothing about what it takes to make a real coach. He is stuck in his 8th grade playing summer ball in Breezy Point.

Acrimony, you loved Jarvis. Enough said

pmg911

« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2008, 12:53:02 PM »

Baldi is from Bell Harbor. . please don't insult the Breezy residents. . THANK YOU

« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2008, 12:57:05 PM »

Baldi is from Bell Harbor. . please don't insult the Breezy residents. . THANK YOU

Its BELLE HARBOR! Go back to Jersey! lol

« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2008, 01:34:33 PM »
Yes, Norm will spin it that he was saving the schollie for Lance the whole time.

Dude throws more strike out more than Nolan Ryan!!!!!!!!!

But I feel with lance and the law, his dad might want him that close but I rather see NORM OUTTA here.

Time for him to go back to being the freshman coach at Molloy and this time, coach the girls!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't think this is the case at all. We wanted Williams but we didn't get him. Sure its a loss but not the end of the world. We could always save it for 2010 at this point too no need to rush and sign someone.
this time next year we'll be talking about saving ships for 2011.  at some point, "coach" should have to produce to keep his job.

« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2008, 01:37:04 PM »
Hold the ship until 2009-10, when guys close to our two new staff members are seniors.

Williams would have been real nice, but the it only becomes a huge loss if Coker and Wait are garbage and R. Thomas never recovers. There are enough bodies to man the 4 and 5 (I'm assuming Thomas never fully regains his speed and finishes his career as an undersized backup power forward). We just have to see how they progress.

I get the feeling Famous starts receiving more frequent calls from us.

I don't think Famous is in the plans now. I think this was a matter of Jordan can get a lot more immediate playing time at Maryland than he could at St. John's. Bottom line is he should be a starter day 1 at Maryland where as he might not have seen much time under Juniors/Seniors Burrell, Evans, Wait, Coker, Thomas.

I think thats a hard thing to overcome recruiting when you can play 30 min immediately in the ACC vs sitting on the bench for a year in Big East.

I don't think Jordan is a good enough player to come in and steal time from guys who will have two years under their belt but I do think Jordan will be a nice player. I think he would have been a good fit here but its hard to pass up on immediate playing time on a school as prestigious as Maryland and Gary Williams is a very good coach as well. James Gist also developed really nicely under Williams and got drafted last season to the NBA. I'm sure this was pointed out.

I wish Jordan best of luck at Maryland.
so you're saying a guy who could make an impact in the acc as a low post scorer couldn't make our team?

it's not like we have elvin hayes and wes unseld up front.

« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2008, 02:00:23 PM »
I thought Maryland also has young PF/C already in place & I think they are rated higher by recruiting web sites than our PF/C

So I doubt Jordan is seeing 30 minutes from day one, he would be seeing less PT in his first 2 years then he would see here
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:01:23 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

pmg911

« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »
  at some point, "coach" should have to produce to keep his job.

Not with Fr. Harrington in charge of things..    he just has to run the program the right way and keep the basketballs players out of the negativer spotlight...

The team will continue to suck. .  and yes we currently suck...   until the powers that be decide that basketball is once again a priority to the school...

Scary to think that we could have had John Caliapri running this program if the people in charge remotely cared about winning...

« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
  at some point, "coach" should have to produce to keep his job.

Not with Fr. Harrington in charge of things..    he just has to run the program the right way and keep the basketballs players out of the negativer spotlight...

The team will continue to suck. .  and yes we currently suck...   until the powers that be decide that basketball is once again a priority to the school...

Scary to think that we could have had John Caliapri running this program if the people in charge remotely cared about winning...

Your right PMG. REALLY SCARY!

« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »
What Da #@$*  ??? what happened?  ::)   .  Now that that ship has passed us by whose next?  I really thought that one was in the bag.  We next a stud 3.  Besides Lance R their any others on our radar?  I think the deal with Baskins is super athlete but some ?'s on his skill ( ie. dribbling and jump shooting) for the Big East.  We would need him to play the three spot.  We r looking for a replacement for Mase. 
The phrase perfect storm refers to the a simultaneous occurrence of events which, taken individually, would be far less powerful than the result of their chance combination. Such occurrences are, by their very nature, rare, and so even a slight change in any one event contributing to a ‘perfect storm’ would be sufficient to lessen the overall power of the final event.

« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2008, 02:43:17 PM »
Hold the ship until 2009-10, when guys close to our two new staff members are seniors.

Williams would have been real nice, but the it only becomes a huge loss if Coker and Wait are garbage and R. Thomas never recovers. There are enough bodies to man the 4 and 5 (I'm assuming Thomas never fully regains his speed and finishes his career as an undersized backup power forward). We just have to see how they progress.

I don't think Famous is in the plans now. I think this was a matter of Jordan can get a lot more immediate playing time at Maryland than he could at St. John's. Bottom line is he should be a starter day 1 at Maryland where as he might not have seen much time under Juniors/Seniors Burrell, Evans, Wait, Coker, Thomas.

I think thats a hard thing to overcome recruiting when you can play 30 min immediately in the ACC vs sitting on the bench for a year in Big East.

I don't think Jordan is a good enough player to come in and steal time from guys who will have two years under their belt but I do think Jordan will be a nice player. I think he would have been a good fit here but its hard to pass up on immediate playing time on a school as prestigious as Maryland and Gary Williams is a very good coach as well. James Gist also developed really nicely under Williams and got drafted last season to the NBA. I'm sure this was pointed out.

so you're saying a guy who could make an impact in the acc as a low post scorer couldn't make our team?

Where did I say he could make an impact in the acc as a low post scorer? I just said he'll receive immediate playing time there and not here.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2008, 04:55:25 PM »

Where did I say he could make an impact in the acc as a low post scorer? I just said he'll receive immediate playing time there and not here.

Playing time that most experts don't think he'll be ready for as a frosh.

kob24

« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2008, 05:50:48 PM »
My thing is save the ships for kimani kids

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2008, 06:29:33 PM »
For real.  Who is Kimani close to besides Pinkston, Pankey, and Collier?

« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2008, 07:33:33 PM »

Playing time that most experts don't think he'll be ready for as a frosh.

all of a sudden, he's not ready?  maryland has a better program than st john's.  if he can get 30 minutes there, he could get 30 minutes here. in case you haven't noticed, karl malone isn't playing for us.  we went head to head with the competition, and again...we lost.   

that's what i'm talking about.  again, if we're saddled with roberts next october, you'll be talking about saving ships for 2011...then 2012...and the beat goes on.