Jordan Williams - PF - Torrington HS - Torrington, CT - MARYLAND

• 147 replies

kjd01067

Re: Jordan Williams - PF - Torrington HS - Torrington, CT
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2008, 04:32:02 PM »
if williams were to sign with stjohns are we out of the lance sweepstakes?

That would leave us with no scholarships left but we would not stop recruiting him.  If Lance wants to play for STJ somehow room will be made.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 06:12:23 PM by kjd01067 »

Randomhero423

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2008, 04:49:07 PM »
lance will announce it late anyway,  if he tells norm he wants to come here, norm will find him a spot.

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2008, 10:30:34 PM »
I know Zags had a post on his blog about saying the longer this lasts the better shot St. John's has. I'd totally disagree and feel its the complete opposite. Our best shot was when we were the first one on the kid before he blew up, before he started seeing other campuses, when he sees school who have bigger midnight madnesses.

Something that came to my mind immediately is what kind of promises did Gary Williams make to Jordan Williams? Does he play right away? Is he a major focus in the offense? etc.

Now he comes to St. John's and he hears he'll compete for playing time(well everyone has to earn it). Maybe he hears that he'll be joining good guys like Burrell and Omari and isn't the center of attention like Maryland said.

Again this is all speculation on my part. I could be completely inaccurate in these scenarios.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2008, 12:11:34 PM »
Has anyone spoken to the staff?  How did we fear?  Not to be negative  (but after the Parrom thing), If we don't get him who would be next?     
The phrase perfect storm refers to the a simultaneous occurrence of events which, taken individually, would be far less powerful than the result of their chance combination. Such occurrences are, by their very nature, rare, and so even a slight change in any one event contributing to a ‘perfect storm’ would be sufficient to lessen the overall power of the final event.

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2008, 12:15:38 PM »
I know Zags had a post on his blog about saying the longer this lasts the better shot St. John's has. I'd totally disagree and feel its the complete opposite. Our best shot was when we were the first one on the kid before he blew up, before he started seeing other campuses, when he sees school who have bigger midnight madnesses.

Something that came to my mind immediately is what kind of promises did Gary Williams make to Jordan Williams? Does he play right away? Is he a major focus in the offense? etc.

Now he comes to St. John's and he hears he'll compete for playing time(well everyone has to earn it). Maybe he hears that he'll be joining good guys like Burrell and Omari and isn't the center of attention like Maryland said.

Again this is all speculation on my part. I could be completely inaccurate in these scenarios.
From my cousin, Gary Williams' tendancy is to go tough love/hard work angle during his pitch. It hasn't been successful over the past few years, but part of it is attributable to the instability in the coaching staff, which hurts in terms of establishing relationships with recruits and identifying recruits that fit your system and mesh with your head coach, and Williams' own dislike for hitting the road & having to be sycophantic to the teenagers.

I think you are right with respect to the time frame. Just be thankful he didn't take his official during the season because, despite their own problems the past few years, the atmosphere at a Maryland game is light years better than even one of our conference games the past few seasons. With Omari Lawrence coming in and a large young nucleus returning, that may hopefully change in the future.

« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2008, 05:20:33 PM »
Anyone have some info on how his visit went?

Marillac

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2008, 08:27:13 AM »
Did Omari make it to campus this past weekend with Williams?  Did Williams enjoy his visit?  I have the sinking feeling it was a courtesy to Norm and he'll commit to Maryland VERY soon.  I hope I am wrong because we need a kid like him. 

« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2008, 10:57:23 AM »
Omari and Williams were on campus. Students did come out for a meet and greet when they came by the residence village. Williams enjoyed his visit, its very much on the fence. I wouldn't be shocked if he went one way or the other.

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2008, 12:08:53 PM »
Free article

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/798134.html

“The thing that stood out the most about St. John’s is that everyone always underestimates St. John’s somewhat because they haven’t had the best record in the past few years, but I believe that they are on the rise and are at a turning point in their program. That’s what really hit me the most while I was there.”

« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2008, 12:30:26 PM »
Free article

“The thing that stood out the most about St. John’s is that everyone always underestimates St. John’s somewhat because they haven’t had the best record in the past few years, but I believe that they are on the rise and are at a turning point in their program. That’s what really hit me the most while I was there.”

I hope he is right! I also hope that he truly believes that and signs the dotted line for us.

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
Free article

Article isn't free

« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2008, 12:50:49 PM »
Free article

Article isn't free
It was initially, but now it does come up as a standard article. They must've fixed a glitch.

« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2008, 01:43:26 PM »
Free article

Article isn't free
It was initially, but now it does come up as a standard article. They must've fixed a glitch.

Next time post the entire article(I didn't say to do that)

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2008, 02:00:27 PM »
I saw Omari at iS8 yesterday afternoon.  He said the visit went well and Jordan enjoyed it.  I did also hear that some students showed up to greet the recruits.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

kjd01067

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2008, 04:20:47 PM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=859607

This weekend, the Johnnies had Lawrence and 6-foot-9 three star power forward Jordan Williams from Torrington, CT on campus for a visit. "It was interesting this weekend we went to ESPN Zone, took a tour of the Garden then went to coaches house to spend time with the team in a real family environment," said Lawrence.

The senior guard also had thoughts on Williams, saying, "I think there is an 80% chance St. John's will get him. It was his first time in the city, and seeing coach's home with the whole family environment was a good experience."

« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=859607

This weekend, the Johnnies had Lawrence and 6-foot-9 three star power forward Jordan Williams from Torrington, CT on campus for a visit. "It was interesting this weekend we went to ESPN Zone, took a tour of the Garden then went to coaches house to spend time with the team in a real family environment," said Lawrence.

The senior guard also had thoughts on Williams, saying, "I think there is an 80% chance St. John's will get him. It was his first time in the city, and seeing coach's home with the whole family environment was a good experience."

Thats good to hear.  Hopefully we land this kid.  It would be nice to have our recruiting class locked up before the season starts for a change and then we can just wait out the Lance sweepstakes in the spring.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

kjd01067

« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2008, 04:35:03 PM »
Some video on Jordan... he is # 20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP6Wxj0RKPg

« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2008, 05:00:30 PM »

« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2008, 04:31:17 PM »
Scout posted an article (pay site) saying that Maryland & SJ are his 2 favs.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3205414

Can anyone see if it has any details other than what we already know?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 05:07:53 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2008, 05:02:31 PM »
As of 10/3/08 this guy seems confident in Maryland's chances...they only have 2 to give for 2009 at the moment.  Padgett got one.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/recruiting/2008/10/weekly_recruiting_roundup_47.html

Hello Matt,
Very nice report. I was wondering what do you think the chances are Jordan Williams will commit to Maryland after his visit at St. John's? I heard he really enjoyed Maryland and would of committed if not for the scheduled visit there. Williams & Padgett would be a great '09 class and is the only reason there looking at a 3rd player in that class (Kazemi) incase they don't get Williams or cause they will have a 3rd scholarship to offer? Which I hope they don't because I want Greivis to stay. Thanks so much and keep up the good work!

Posted by: Kevin Litz | October 3, 2008 2:09 PM

Kevin -- I wouldn't be shocked to see Williams commit soon after his visit to St. John's, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see him wait a few weeks and possibly make other visits. Either way, the Terps are in good shape. I think UM will continue to look at '09 guys like Kazemi to cover their bases. You can never be sure how scholarship situations will shake out, as evidenced by last year. On paper they have 2 to give for '09, but I'm sure the staff will have a contingency plan in place should another scholarship open up.

Posted by: Matt Bracken | October 3, 2008 2:46 PM