Lamont Jones - PG - American Christian School - Aston, PA - IONA

• 560 replies
Machado is pretty overrated IMOP. He shat the bed in the MAAC final. I'd they can move him to the bench or even to off guard, maybe the Gaels can finally get over that hump.

If Kyle Smyth was healthy, Gaels win that game. But you are right, Machado has some trouble in the big games

Sure sounds like SHU is probably not where he wants to end up.  I mean SHU is the only local major viable option and despite visiting still wants to visit all of these low mid majors and A-10 schools in addition to bigger schools well outside the metro area?

You would think he would have thought about this before pulling the trigger and transferring.  Put feelers out there.  Most indecisive transfer ever.

You and I know that if SJU was a viable option his recruitment would be over right now.

That also tells me he probably will not land at SHU since again they are the only BE school and he won't pull the trigger.

True but again the feelers should have been placed.  Should have asked about the Hicks rule.

You would be surprised, see Taran Buie, about the number of transfers still looking for a home.   If he lands at a place like Marquette or Florida then you can't argue with the outcome.  I think he realizes that the waiver is a longshot even if he transfers to the metro area that is why he opened it up.

Do you guys think Iona has a legit shot with Momo? Just so happens another scholly opened up

Moose

Sure sounds like SHU is probably not where he wants to end up.  I mean SHU is the only local major viable option and despite visiting still wants to visit all of these low mid majors and A-10 schools in addition to bigger schools well outside the metro area?

You would think he would have thought about this before pulling the trigger and transferring.  Put feelers out there.  Most indecisive transfer ever.

You and I know that if SJU was a viable option his recruitment would be over right now.

That also tells me he probably will not land at SHU since again they are the only BE school and he won't pull the trigger.

True but again the feelers should have been placed.  Should have asked about the Hicks rule.

You would be surprised, see Taran Buie, about the number of transfers still looking for a home.   If he lands at a place like Marquette or Florida then you can't argue with the outcome.  I think he realizes that the waiver is a longshot even if he transfers to the metro area that is why he opened it up.

When did Buie leave? When DeChillis was still coach?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

Do you guys think Iona has a legit shot with Momo? Just so happens another scholly opened up

How did it open?

How did it open?

1 of Cluess' gang of newly signed jucos wont be eligible. James Anacreon

Marco : Do you think you can go over to the Iona board and cause a panic? >:(

Yes he got his release in April.

Yes he got his release in April.

im pretty sure he was off the team well before that.
Any idea where he might end up fordham?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Panic?

I believe Momo is at Iona today,hopefully Cluess and Grasso can close the deal. He'd love to play in that system.  Gaels will be the best local team next season

Moose

Panic?

I believe Momo is at Iona today,hopefully Cluess and Grasso can close the deal. He'd love to play in that system.  Gaels will be the best local team next season

Assuming he can play next season.

Panic?

Best?  So you are saying that SJU couldn't win the MAAC with their young talent and coaching staff this coming year?  If you think they could how do you come up with Iona being the best local school?

Panic?

Best?  So you are saying that SJU couldn't win the MAAC with their young talent and coaching staff this coming year?  If you think they could how do you come up with Iona being the best local school?

I think Iona would be better next season, not the years after-with or without Momo Jones.. Imo alot of that has to do with experience-

dR3w

I think Iona would be better next season, not the years after-with or without Momo Jones.. Imo alot of that has to do with experience-

Even "with" Momo, it still probably means he is sitting out a year.  IMO I don't see him getting a waiver.  Even with him wanting to be close to his grandmother, the list of schools that he is visiting includes some that are more than a train ride from home.  It makes his case harder to swallow.

Iona is very interested in Momo. They'd take him in a heartbeat.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Panic?

You didn't answer my question.  Better how?  More talented?  Based on what???  Based on their MAAC performance I presume.

I would match a starting lineup of Pelle, Sampson, Harrison, Harkless and Nuri with ANY school in the MAAC including Iona and it would not be close.  Period.

Panic?

You didn't answer my question.  Better how?  More talented?  Based on what???  Based on their MAAC performance I presume.

I would match a starting lineup of Pelle, Sampson, Harrison, Harkless and Nuri with ANY school in the MAAC including Iona and it would not be close.  Period.

These guys havent played a college game yet. Iona will be a top 40/50 team this year with a PG and big who could start on some teams in the bigger conferences including the Big East. I take Glover and Machado as seniors over any of the 1st year players at St Johns. Glover lit up Syracuse and Machado owned Kevin Anderson from Richmond. But again, thats just for next season. Sky is the limit for the new Johnny guys though.  I would think some bigger teams would shy away from scheduling Iona next season, its too bad we wont see this matchup.

And btw, Fairfield will be no joke either
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:10:58 PM by Marco Baldi »

Panic?

These guys havent played a college game yet. Iona will be a top 40/50 team this year with a PG and big who could start on some teams in the bigger conferences including the Big East. I take Glover and Machado as seniors over any of the 1st year players at St Johns. Glover lit up Syracuse and Machado owned Kevin Anderson from Richmond. But again, thats just for next season. Sky is the limit for the new Johnny guys though.  I would think some bigger teams would shy away from scheduling Iona next season, its too bad we wont see this matchup.

And btw, Fairfield will be no joke either

I don't care if there was a draft of players for all the MAAC players and SJU by MAAC schools it would not even be close.  NOT EVEN CLOSE.

More importantly St. Peter's won the MAAC Tourney last year.  They would have been MAYBE 15th in the BE.  MAYBE.  And Fairfield the Best team lost to Rutgers.

So SJU could go 9-9 this year and Iona could go 14-4 that won't mean squat.  SJU is the best program and the best team in the Metro area period.  NOT EVEN CLOSE.  You lose this argument with any person.

Go ask ANY MAAC coach what starting lineup he would go to war with SJU's young one or Iona's and it WOULD NOT EVEN BE CLOSE.

Period.  I don't care about playing time.  UK's five freshmen had never played a minute 2 year's ago, so what. 

You cannot compare a MAAC school with a BE school unless they are what a Siena was a few years ago and even then that was a middle of the pack BE school at best.  And that Siena team 3 years in a row was hands down the best MAAC team since the Fran/Lappas Manhattan teams not even close and SJU smacked them around in Philly.  A very mediocre SJU team.

Bottom line last thing I will say is if SJU's current incoming roster and staff were in the MAAC this year they would be the favorite to win the MAAC.  No doubt about it.

Fairfield will be no joke….LOL!!!  Oh no doubt Lavin stays up all night not worrying about Duke, UCLA, Kentucky, UCONN, Notre Dame, Syracuse etc. he actually told me he is so thankful that he does not have to recruit the level of player to go against Canisius, Niagara, Manhattan, Iona etc. 

If SJU was rebuilding in the form of a Providence or DePaul where it was going to take a few years before they get BE level talent then MAYBE I agree with you.  But youth or not the talent level alone ain't even close.

Like I said, too bad we'll never see this matchup. Instead we'll probably see St Johns vs Marist/St Francis/Monmouth etc. As a matter of fact, I bet St Johns schedules Iona the year after next.

Fairfield brings back everyone and adds Rakim Sanders and Des Wade