Owens Leaving

• 545 replies

ras

Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2018, 01:22:39 PM »
It’s not that Tariq is so great. It is more that we are so undermanned in the big dept. Even Clark is more of a 3 than 4. Because of this , his departure really hurts us. I am not convinced it would benefit him either. Who knows , maybe Marillac will get his wish and we will see Simon at the 4 and he has a season like Doms senior year.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:28:01 PM by ras »

Foad

« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2018, 01:24:20 PM »
Really don't understand this. We had a real shot at the Tournament if he stayed. Now I don't see it. Where is he going to go that could offer a better situation? Plus he's familiar with the school, coaches, teammates and is guaranteed 30+ minutes. A real headscratcher.

Agreed.  Don't get it.

it is pretty obvious that the family doesn't believe this program, coaches, and system can set him up for a pro-career in the NBA.  simple as that.

If the family believes he's an NBA player they're delusional.

goredmen

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2018, 01:27:18 PM »
Really don't understand this. We had a real shot at the Tournament if he stayed. Now I don't see it. Where is he going to go that could offer a better situation? Plus he's familiar with the school, coaches, teammates and is guaranteed 30+ minutes. A real headscratcher.

Agreed.  Don't get it.

it is pretty obvious that the family doesn't believe this program, coaches, and system can set him up for a pro-career in the NBA.  simple as that.

There is not a program, system or coach that has ever lived that can set him up for a pro career in the NBA. He’s not, and never will be on the NBA radar no matter where he goes. If anybody in his camp thinks that they should be institutionalized

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2018, 01:33:22 PM »

Agreed.  Don't get it.

Well than color his father delusional as he even feels his son doesn't necessarily need to put on weight as he compared him to the former Duke one and doner Ingram of the LA Lakers.

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2018, 01:37:43 PM »

Agreed.  Don't get it.

Tell that to Cedric Jackson who after leaving Norm went on to have a pretty good career with Cleveland St and actually made an NBA roster.

Delusional.  Maybe.  But a change in scenery, message, system, can sometimes do wonders. 

« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2018, 01:47:09 PM »

Agreed.  Don't get it.

Well than color his father delusional as he even feels his son doesn't necessarily need to put on weight as he compared him to the former Duke one and doner Ingram of the LA Lakers.

Are you serious?  He compared his son to Brandon Ingram?  If so, then it's straight-jacket time.

Foad

« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2018, 02:10:53 PM »

Agreed.  Don't get it.

Tell that to Cedric Jackson who after leaving Norm went on to have a pretty good career with Cleveland St and actually made an NBA roster.

Delusional.  Maybe.  But a change in scenery, message, system, can sometimes do wonders. 

One player transferred and made the NBA, therefore all players should transfer so they too can make the NBA. I'll write that down.

Owens is 22 and weighs 210 pounds. He has zero handle, no post game and a haphazard jump shot. He's not an NBA player and one year somewhere else isn't going to turn him into one.   

« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2018, 02:43:09 PM »

Agreed.  Don't get it.

Are you serious?  He compared his son to Brandon Ingram?  If so, then it's straight-jacket time.
Yes serious. Surprised you didn't see it on twitter. Think main reason for transfer may be TO being sensitive to criticism about his weight and I'm only half joking.

Dan

« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2018, 03:19:02 PM »
Owens also seems incapable of playing defense without fouling. He won't get as many minutes at any major conference team than he would here. Not sure why they are trying this power play...he has major flaws in his game and this was a 9th place team.

The issue is, despite how foolish Lovett and Owens are, is that this program has no continuity. Mullin loses players at seemingly the same rate as Lavin, and has less to show for it, and Lavin was terrible.

Foad

« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2018, 03:26:45 PM »
Mullin career wins in conference: 12
Mullin transfers: 9 (Yakwe) could make 10.

Guy is doing a bang up job.  At least he is over .500 in something.

I count 11 guys who left, four of whom transferred; three graduated; two just left and two went pro.

Obekpa: transfer, DNP at UNLV, last seen in Turkey
Jordan: left school, last seen bent over in prison shower
Ellison: transfered to worst program in US, transferring again
Williams: grad transfer, expelled

Sima: transfer, 13 mpg @ Ok St, NIT

Chris Jones: grad transfer to UNLV, which went 11-21

Missini: went pro
Feudenburg: went pro

Lovett: quit due to vaginal injury, tbd
Tariq Olive Oyl: grad transfer, tbd
Holifield: walk on, tbd

Other than the two guys who went pro arguably the player who's had the most success after leaving the program is the walk on

« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2018, 03:50:57 PM »
Mullin career wins in conference: 12
Mullin transfers: 9 (Yakwe) could make 10.

Guy is doing a bang up job.  At least he is over .500 in something.

I count 11 guys who left, four of whom transferred; three graduated; two just left and two went pro.

Obekpa: transfer, DNP at UNLV, last seen in Turkey
Jordan: left school, last seen bent over in prison shower
Ellison: transfered to worst program in US, transferring again
Williams: grad transfer, expelled

Sima: transfer, 13 mpg @ Ok St, NIT

Chris Jones: grad transfer to UNLV, which went 11-21

Missini: went pro
Feudenburg: went pro

Lovett: quit due to vaginal injury, tbd
Tariq Olive Oyl: grad transfer, tbd
Holifield: walk on, tbd

Other than the two guys who went pro arguably the player who's had the most success after leaving the program is the walk on
[/quot

Its not about what these guys have done at other schools.  Its the fact that Mullin has had a revolving door at SJU.  Every "Big" that mullin has brought in- Gone, except Yakwe who might as well be gone, because he has gotten worse under this staff.  I didn't even count Obepka or Jordan, because kids leaving with a new coach happens alot.  I only mentioned Mullin's kids.   The fact that most left for worse opportunities shows that whats going on under Mullin's is not good.   Each of these kids who left could of helped this program in some way, but instead our jack ass coach decided in year 3 would be a good year to only have 7 or 8 capable guys suit up.  Maybe if we recruited better in our own back yard, or even in the USA, we would not have to deal with kids leaving to go back to their native countries after a year or 2.

Johnny23

« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2018, 04:01:36 PM »
Mullin can't coach to save his life. Everyone knows that. The bigger issue is his indignant stance towards improving the situation because he thinks he knows what it takes and because the admin backing him thinks he knows what it takes. He has no idea what it takes to coach and succeed at the Big East level and his record is the only proof you need of that. Add to that the roster chaos and this just supports that he's in way over his head. Never did I think that I'd want Steve Lavin over anyone but I'd take Lav in a heartbeat over this mess. No highly rated prospect will come here until the situation improves so we can most likely expect more of the same results next season.

Poison

« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »
Didn't he post that he wasn't raised to quit "ANYTHING" just a few days ago.
I'd rather have him than not, but it's not a huge loss. He was never going to put in the weight he needed. He'll never find a school that will offer more minutes.

He could find 100 schools that will offer him more minutes.

He played 30+ minutes per game.  Yet there are 100 schools that will offer him more minutes? 

No. There are probably close to 200, actually.

« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2018, 04:20:57 PM »
The problem isn't too many transfers the problem is the talent level is not where it needs to be or where we thought it would be 3 years ago when this coach was hired.

And that has been my mantra for awhile now, for all the talk about having a full roster of his players next year I am less worried about that then having big time players who can make a difference.  The quantity thing is overrated, I want quality.

The  recruiting by this staff has been a MAJOR disappointment 3 years in.  SJU is not getting the type of kids we thought they would land after all the optimism of his hire.  This needs to be emphasized because it is a big reason why they were hired to begin with.

I asked this question a few months ago, if I gave you a list of 2016, 2017, 2018 top area kids, everyone from Rawle Alkins to Mustapha Heron to Nick Richards to Naz Reid to Moses Brown to Quinerly to Muhammad etc, and told you a few weeks after Mullin/Matt/Slice were hired that despite all the optimism 3 years later SJU would whiff on essentially all those recruits (save Ponds) and have completed their 3rd straight losing season in both the League and overall and Slice would be gone in a messy divorce, you would have laughed me off the board.

Except it is all true.

Foad

« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2018, 04:22:39 PM »
Its not about what these guys have done at other schools.  Its the fact that Mullin has had a revolving door at SJU.  Every "Big" that mullin has brought in- Gone, except Yakwe who might as well be gone, because he has gotten worse under this staff.  I didn't even count Obepka or Jordan, because kids leaving with a new coach happens alot.  I only mentioned Mullin's kids.   The fact that most left for worse opportunities shows that whats going on under Mullin's is not good.   Each of these kids who left could of helped this program in some way, but instead our jack ass coach decided in year 3 would be a good year to only have 7 or 8 capable guys suit up.  Maybe if we recruited better in our own back yard, or even in the USA, we would not have to deal with kids leaving to go back to their native countries after a year or 2.

If you're only talking about Mullin's kids then two of them transferred, not nine: Ellison and Sima and I doubt our jackass coach encouraged those two to leave. Sima left mid season and Ellison was his buddy's kid who was scared he was being recruited over, which he was because he wasn't that good. Williams graduated and Yakwe is supposedly on track to graduate.

Anyway I didn't sat the roster churn was good. It's bad. Lack of continuity is bad. Not having enough bodies is bad. It's all very bad. That's pretty obvious. My point to the extent I had one beyond correcting the record is that none of the players who left fared well after doing so and many left what might have been fortunate circumstances for dire ones. Sima and or Williams would have played 30 plus minutes this year and been featured players in the offense, as opposed to being bums, which is what they are. Ellison would have logged major minutes in the BE as opposed to sitting on the bench watching Pitt do worse than St John's, which you wouldn't have thought possible, and now he's going to transfer again and what, sit out another year? I suspect (and being a cynic maybe hope) the same thing will happen to Owens. Because like many of the people who left before him he over estimates his abilities and his prospects, which are minimal.

« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2018, 04:32:25 PM »
The problem isn't too many transfers the problem is the talent level is not where it needs to be or where we thought it would be 3 years ago when this coach was hired.

And that has been my mantra for awhile now, for all the talk about having a full roster of his players next year I am less worried about that then having big time players who can make a difference.  The quantity thing is overrated, I want quality.

The  recruiting by this staff has been a MAJOR disappointment 3 years in.  SJU is not getting the type of kids we thought they would land after all the optimism of his hire.  This needs to be emphasized because it is a big reason why they were hired to begin with.

I asked this question a few months ago, if I gave you a list of 2016, 2017, 2018 top area kids, everyone from Rawle Alkins to Mustapha Heron to Nick Richards to Naz Reid to Moses Brown to Quinerly to Muhammad etc, and told you a few weeks after Mullin/Matt/Slice were hired that despite all the optimism 3 years later SJU would whiff on essentially all those recruits (save Ponds) and have completed their 3rd straight losing season in both the League and overall and Slice would be gone in a messy divorce, you would have laughed me off the board.

Except it is all true.

Mullin has put 0 kids in the pros.  He has never coached before and his staff is below average with no experience.  I am not sure why anyone would think he was going to bring in top talent.  Yes, he had slice and Matty A, but those guys were selling an idea in year one, and guess what, we are in year 3 and now with no slice, they are still selling an idea.  With each year that has gone by,  top kids, coaches, parents are seeing right through the crap which is why SJU is only landing lesser talent

Wods317

« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2018, 04:34:06 PM »

Except it is all true.

Hard to argue. If we had another player or two who were at or close to the level of Ponds we would be in great shape. We haven’t landed many difference making recruits other then Ponds. We a lot of nice players but those different makers or program changers have alluded us.

« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2018, 04:39:26 PM »

If you're only talking about Mullin's kids then two of them transferred, not nine: Ellison and Sima and I doubt our jackass coach encouraged those two to leave. Sima left mid season and Ellison was his buddy's kid who was scared he was being recruited over, which he was because he wasn't that good. Williams graduated and Yakwe is supposedly on track to graduate.

Anyway I didn't sat the roster churn was good. It's bad. Lack of continuity is bad. Not having enough bodies is bad. It's all very bad. That's pretty obvious. My point to the extent I had one beyond correcting the record is that none of the players who left fared well after doing so and many left what might have been fortunate circumstances for dire ones. Sima and or Williams would have played 30 plus minutes this year and been featured players in the offense, as opposed to being bums, which is what they are. Ellison would have logged major minutes in the BE as opposed to sitting on the bench watching Pitt do worse than St John's, which you wouldn't have thought possible, and now he's going to transfer again and what, sit out another year? I suspect (and being a cynic maybe hope) the same thing will happen to Owens. Because like many of the people who left before him he over estimates his abilities and his prospects, which are minimal.

If a kid played for Mullin or was recruited by Mullin and signed with Mullin, its Mullin's kids.  So yes, if you look at his roster from year 1 till now, he would have 9 kids leave under his watch.  I see what you are saying that these kids never did anything at their next stop, but that does not take a way from the fact that in 3 years, Mullin has not recruited over any of the bigs and yet they still left and are still leaving.

TONYD3

« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2018, 04:55:23 PM »

I asked this question a few months ago, if I gave you a list of 2016, 2017, 2018 top area kids, everyone from Rawle Alkins to Mustapha Heron to Nick Richards to Naz Reid to Moses Brown to Quinerly to Muhammad etc, and told you a few weeks after Mull in/Matt/Slice were hired that despite all the optimism 3 years later SJU would whiff on essentially all those recruits (save Ponds) and have completed their 3rd straight losing season in both the League and overall and Slice would be gone in a messy divorce, you would have laughed me off the board.

Except it is all true.

I just got an email from the BMW dealership. It was the owner. He said they needed to sell 42 cars to get some kind of bonus. I am not a salesman but i can sell BMW's if they were on sale. I probably could sell BMW's anyway because they are great cars.
That first season where everyone on these boards gave Mull in his first pass. Him not paying attention, not in control, rarely speaking to his team during games., was noticed. Clearly not to his fans, but it was noticed by everyone else. 

Slice great salesman. BMW would love him. He Was great at PITT and Kentucky. How did he do at Manhattan? How did he do at St. Johns? It didn't take me long (like 15 minutes) to know he wasn't a coach.

Richmond probably could have been a coach. Is he recruiting? Does anyone think he worked a minute today? You can find Louis Orr recruiting. You can also find Patrick Ewing Recruiting.  Where is Mull in?

Matt- How do you hire both Matt and slice? You pick one.  Did Mull in not know that neither of these guys actually coach basketball? Better yet you hire neither. You need coaches to coach as well. Maybe Matt could help a competent staff. With this group we are always down a coach during the game. And usually down a coach recruiting.

If you paid attention in the beginning it was obvious this experiment would not work.

« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2018, 04:57:49 PM »

Except it is all true.

I’ve come to the realization that we will land a star like Ponds maybe once every 4 years.  That’s SJU in today’s world. Asking for more than that is not realistic.  I want to be like Butler, Xavier, Creighton, schools that bring in solid players who the stick around 4 years and make noise every year with a nice, constant wave of Upper class men. Why is that so hard for us.