San Fran Game

• 299 replies
Re: San Fran Game
« Reply #280 on: December 05, 2012, 07:57:12 PM »
Give USF players and coaches credit, they scouted our team and executed their game plan well. All those who wanted to see us play man more, well you see why we don’t. Our help D and secondary rotations needs alot of work. The zone wasn’t working, so we went to man. Switching on D wasn’t the issue, Dom played their PG straight up the entire 2nd half and you would think Dom should be able to stop dribble penetration from their PG and he couldn’t. One thing was clear is that they were killing us in the half court game at both ends of the floor. We don't have shooters, and we don’t have anyone who can create for either themselves or others. We can’t play that way, we need to play up tempo and run. I would have liked to see how USF handled a press though.

two types of man coverage.  you can press the dribbler, or you can play off the dribbler.  definitely going into the game, you would expect us to be quicker and get in his jersey.  but once you get burned a few times, you need to adjust.  we never did.  i am a big supporter of lavin on this board.  but it doesn't mean he's infallible.  i thought he had a couple of bad games.  i thought he didn't handle the refs properly during the murray st. game.  the other coach took an early tee and subsequently got a bunch of bullshit calls.  lavin let them get away with it.  i really believe that let murray st back into the game and gave them momentum going into the half.  otherwise, they stay buried.  and last night, i didn't see adjustments on how we played doolin. i have to admit, i think after nine games, we're better than this.  i thought we turned the corner after the carolina game.  but we went backwards instead.

MCNPA

« Reply #281 on: December 05, 2012, 09:20:30 PM »
Interesting point I just read about San Fancisco is that they have beaten Gonzaga now three years in a row.  We need to learn to play smarter and not let teams like Gonzaga and USF draw us in to what they want to do.  The reason we were a good team two years ago is that we were able to dictate tempo.  He have done that at times this year, but not nearly enough.  Need to play defense like in the second half of the NJIT game ALL the time.  Can't help but think that this will take more time and of course experience which comes with it.  Our team needs to not fall into traps and be smarter and more patient.  I think the idea of "pressure" defense is sometimes lost and becomes anarchy really quickly.  We will rebound from this.  By all accounts, USF is not s terrible team either.

kob24

« Reply #282 on: December 05, 2012, 09:53:57 PM »
Lmao yes I think he would have smashed him once and had him rethink going into the paint

gman

« Reply #283 on: December 05, 2012, 10:36:11 PM »
Out of curiosity did they have their entire roster playing tonight? I didn't watch the game and on paper this is a bad loss bit we are missing 2 starters.

SJUFAN

« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2012, 10:52:20 PM »
Give USF players and coaches credit, they scouted our team and executed their game plan well. All those who wanted to see us play man more, well you see why we don’t. Our help D and secondary rotations needs alot of work. The zone wasn’t working, so we went to man. Switching on D wasn’t the issue, Dom played their PG straight up the entire 2nd half and you would think Dom should be able to stop dribble penetration from their PG and he couldn’t. One thing was clear is that they were killing us in the half court game at both ends of the floor. We don't have shooters, and we don’t have anyone who can create for either themselves or others. We can’t play that way, we need to play up tempo and run. I would have liked to see how USF handled a press though.

two types of man coverage.  you can press the dribbler, or you can play off the dribbler.  definitely going into the game, you would expect us to be quicker and get in his jersey.  but once you get burned a few times, you need to adjust.  we never did.  i am a big supporter of lavin on this board.  but it doesn't mean he's infallible.  i thought he had a couple of bad games.  i thought he didn't handle the refs properly during the murray st. game.  the other coach took an early tee and subsequently got a bunch of bullshit calls.  lavin let them get away with it.  i really believe that let murray st back into the game and gave them momentum going into the half.  otherwise, they stay buried.  and last night, i didn't see adjustments on how we played doolin. i have to admit, i think after nine games, we're better than this.  i thought we turned the corner after the carolina game.  but we went backwards instead.
True....I agree playing off of him may have been a better option, once it was clear the pressure was't working. But I don't see that taking away there screen game, which they were using extensively. Don't believe team is able to execute the defensive scheme yet, only reason I can think of why we haven't used a full court press much this season.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:54:33 PM by STJFAN »

« Reply #285 on: December 05, 2012, 11:37:42 PM »
a couple of posts complaining about the switching on defense.  supposedly, the team was built so that anybody could cover anybody.  the problem i saw last night was that nobody was able to contain doolin, whether it was on a switch or straight up.  to be fair to the team, some of it was due to those guys making some amazing plays and hitting their shots.  for example, saw chris pick up doolin off the screen and doolin made a nasty reverse layup.  just have to tip your hat on plays like that.
disagree. We are constantly being beaten off the dribble and we are supposed to be quick and athletic. this is a lack of the coaching staff driving home the proper techniques and fundamentals of defense. Bore them with a three hour practice of nothing but technique and proper footwork. Made that frisco kid look like Isaiah Thomas.

So you dont believe the staff teaches proper techniques or fundamentals of defense? I believe that is comical.
Glad you had a good laugh but if you could read you would have comprehended that I said that they HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO DRIVE IT HOME YET. What's your explanation for having quicker more athletic players being constantly beaten of the dribble MAVEN?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:39:32 PM by Celtics11 »

MCNPA

« Reply #286 on: December 06, 2012, 01:04:26 AM »
Wanna be sick?  My first glimpse of the game and here are the highlights.  P.S.  specialy coaching strategy can't fix what is broken in this video.  The kids are just chasing on D, standing straight up and getting beat to position.  No amount of special strategizing is going to fix this problem ie. man vs zone vs press/trap.  This is just horrid execution.  These kids better start realizing that defense is important.  Every move in the video could have been prevented by smarter defense anymore hustle.  Coaches have to get these kids taking more pride in stopping their opponent.  I'm not worried about our offense at all, even with some stalls we've had.  I'm worry about us learning to defend. 

Enjoy...

University of San Francisco BEATS ST.JOHNS!!!(De'end Parker, Cody Doolin, Mark Tollefson)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:28:00 AM by MCNPA »

SJUFAN

« Reply #287 on: December 06, 2012, 01:42:45 AM »
a couple of posts complaining about the switching on defense.  supposedly, the team was built so that anybody could cover anybody.  the problem i saw last night was that nobody was able to contain doolin, whether it was on a switch or straight up.  to be fair to the team, some of it was due to those guys making some amazing plays and hitting their shots.  for example, saw chris pick up doolin off the screen and doolin made a nasty reverse layup.  just have to tip your hat on plays like that.
disagree. We are constantly being beaten off the dribble and we are supposed to be quick and athletic. this is a lack of the coaching staff driving home the proper techniques and fundamentals of defense. Bore them with a three hour practice of nothing but technique and proper footwork. Made that frisco kid look like Isaiah Thomas.

So you dont believe the staff teaches proper techniques or fundamentals of defense? I believe that is comical.
Glad you had a good laugh but if you could read you would have comprehended that I said that they HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO DRIVE IT HOME YET. What's your explanation for having quicker more athletic players being constantly beaten of the dribble MAVEN?

Not sure how it would be possible for me to comprehend you meaning "haven’t been able to drive it home yet" from what you actually stated which was "this is a lack of the coaching staff driving it home". You conveniently left out the word "lack" (absence, non existence) and replaced it with "haven't", "able" (capable, competent) and "yet". Within the context of your entire statement, which included "bore them with a three hour practice of nothing but techniques and proper footwork" suggests you believe the staff either doesn't emphasize it in practice, or they don't know how to so you offer your own suggestion. I believe that's comical.

This is an accomplished staff, last I looked Keady is still on the bench, the team is getting the instruction they need, have faith in that. The players' failure to execute is not an indication that the staff is not instructing them. Last year the team played zone a majority of the time. I still see the returning players, when they are playing the guard position in the zone, using the technique they learned from Dunlap's system. Problem is, when JK, CJ, CO are playing the forward center spots they are not familiar with it. Mix in the new players', new system, their youth….it just takes time, be patient. Hopefully they get it together before Big East play.   

« Reply #288 on: December 06, 2012, 07:08:04 AM »
Watched the game and adding my 2 cents a little late.  Watching SF PG made me think that we need a PG who can penetrate and kick out.  We need Branch to show up big beginning Dec 16 when he becomes eligible.  That is the first missing piece of the puzzle.  Secondly, we need Sanchez badly.  I like Obekpa but he could use some elder leadership and since he is our only big we'll be in trouble when he picks up fouls.  I actually think he is playing a little tentatively, sort of like GG did last year.  If Sanchez doesn't qualify I don't see any way GG can remain a redshirt.

I really admire the way SF played.  We got beaten in an old fashioned way.  PG creating on the offense.  SF was tremendous with picks to create space and match up issues.  Sucks we lost but it is a great gauge of what we need to address as a team to get better.  Our weaknesses are glaring so it isn't too difficult to demystify this loss.  Our guys will get a lot of mileage out of watching game film on this and making corrections.

Still like our chances with our team going forward.

TONYD3

« Reply #289 on: December 06, 2012, 08:24:03 AM »
great post lapchick - agree completely

« Reply #290 on: December 06, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
Watched the game and adding my 2 cents a little late.  Watching SF PG made me think that we need a PG who can penetrate and kick out.  We need Branch to show up big beginning Dec 16 when he becomes eligible.  That is the first missing piece of the puzzle.  Secondly, we need Sanchez badly.  I like Obekpa but he could use some elder leadership and since he is our only big we'll be in trouble when he picks up fouls.  I actually think he is playing a little tentatively, sort of like GG did last year.  If Sanchez doesn't qualify I don't see any way GG can remain a redshirt.

I really admire the way SF played.  We got beaten in an old fashioned way.  PG creating on the offense.  SF was tremendous with picks to create space and match up issues.  Sucks we lost but it is a great gauge of what we need to address as a team to get better.  Our weaknesses are glaring so it isn't too difficult to demystify this loss.  Our guys will get a lot of mileage out of watching game film on this and making corrections.

Still like our chances with our team going forward.

Completely Agree.

We have athletes and SF had basketball players.

crgreen

« Reply #291 on: December 06, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
Was in the hospital, unable to see the game.   Anyone know if theirs an archived stream out there somewhere?

Also, how did D'End Parker Look?  He was SUPPOSED to be UCLA's SG last year and this, after transferring from JC, but his mom got ill, and he transferred back to the bay area after one exhibition game as a Bruin....

desco80

« Reply #292 on: December 06, 2012, 02:12:33 PM »
Was in the hospital, unable to see the game.   Anyone know if theirs an archived stream out there somewhere?

Also, how did D'End Parker Look?  He was SUPPOSED to be UCLA's SG last year and this, after transferring from JC, but his mom got ill, and he transferred back to the bay area after one exhibition game as a Bruin....

Hope you're feeling well CR.   
If you get access to ESPN 3 in VA, you can see a replay of the game on your computer.  http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#type/replay/sport/basketball/

Disaster of a game.  And, yes, your former man Parker looked pretty good.   His shot from outside continues to fall at an unsustainable rate (3 for 3 I think on Tues, 75% for the year)
But the Don's pg, as you can see from the posts, is who did us in really.   He did a nice job of setting Parker and others up off his penetration and kick-outs.   

Overall it was without question, our defense which killed us.   Literally no one looked good defensively.    But Jakarr turned in a very encouraging game offensively, more aggressive and assertive than he has been in any game to date.   

« Reply #293 on: December 06, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Francesa just found out we lost to USF from Minko and was making fun of them for getting killed.

« Reply #294 on: December 06, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »
Regarding Parker USF high scorer 21. USF basketball website list him as a junior but credit him with 2 games at UCLA as well as 2years at CCSF.

« Reply #295 on: December 07, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »
Wanna be sick?  My first glimpse of the game and here are the highlights.  P.S.  specialy coaching strategy can't fix what is broken in this video.  The kids are just chasing on D, standing straight up and getting beat to position.  No amount of special strategizing is going to fix this problem ie. man vs zone vs press/trap.  This is just horrid execution.  These kids better start realizing that defense is important.  Every move in the video could have been prevented by smarter defense anymore hustle.  Coaches have to get these kids taking more pride in stopping their opponent.  I'm not worried about our offense at all, even with some stalls we've had.  I'm worry about us learning to defend. 

Enjoy...
Hey, these are not first year players.  Virtually every one of them has been coached from the day they stepped on a court and showed some potential.  I really feel they would have done better on their own.  They're so intent on trying to fit into a so called system they're forgetting how to play basic basketball. They all know how to defend by this stage of the game.  If they just chose up sides and decided who was guarding whom I think they'd have done better than they did.  I think they're overcoached and not taking advantage of their talent.  Open shots and penetration shows a lack of understanding of individual responsibility.  They don't fight through picks and get caught in mismatches all game long.  I know all these great athletes are supposed to be able to match up against anyone but it ain't happening and the open guys are so open it's hard to tell who's fault it is.  Where is the accountability and subbing when guys lose their men?

University of San Francisco BEATS ST.JOHNS!!!(De'end Parker, Cody Doolin, Mark Tollefson)

ras

« Reply #296 on: December 07, 2012, 02:05:26 PM »
IMO they looked fundamentally unsound.

paultzman

« Reply #297 on: January 09, 2013, 07:48:35 AM »
Just saying...

“@ECoastBias: Since beating St. John's at home, San Francisco has lost 7 of 9, losing to Holy Cross & Pacific, beating a non D-1 and E TN State.”

Poison

« Reply #298 on: January 09, 2013, 07:54:29 AM »
Just saying...

“@ECoastBias: Since beating St. John's at home, San Francisco has lost 7 of 9, losing to Holy Cross & Pacific, beating a non D-1 and E TN State.”

Sometimes a bad team has one or two really good games. We did last year.

crgreen

« Reply #299 on: January 09, 2013, 08:02:56 AM »
Regarding Parker USF high scorer 21. USF basketball website list him as a junior but credit him with 2 games at UCLA as well as 2years at CCSF.

Sorry, didn't see this part of the thread when it was originally posted.

De'End  qualified for a redshirt for last year under the old rules.  He played a total of 34 minutes, before shutting it down with an injury, then transferring with a legitimately ill mother.  Kid REALLY wanted to play for UCLA, and would likely have been a starter had he been healthy.