Pitt game discussion

• 347 replies
Re: Pitt game discussion
« Reply #340 on: February 27, 2013, 09:29:16 PM »
He is playing 40 minutes a night because he is a TOUGH kid.  Lack of vision and shot selection is due to him not being a true point guard.  The kid has been playing out of position for two years.
When Branch is healthy and playing 30 minutes a game then it is fair game to criticize him when he is at a natural position.

Moose

« Reply #341 on: February 27, 2013, 09:33:03 PM »
He is playing 40 minutes a night because he is a TOUGH kid.  Lack of vision and shot selection is due to him not being a true point guard.  The kid has been playing out of position for two years.
When Branch is healthy and playing 30 minutes a game then it is fair game to criticize him when he is at a natural position.

So back to your previous post.  Do you think the hip is effecting shot selection, shot success, vision on the court and other stuff between the ears?  Phil runs down the court damn fast and dribbles well makes cuts with the ball.  I see no lingering effects on that regard.

Your right.  We all know he's out of position.  But its not injury.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #342 on: February 27, 2013, 09:37:35 PM »
Good question, it may or may not.  I can't answer that but it is possible.  I do know for a fact he is injured and he might have to go under the knife at the end of the season.  If you are not 100 percent it can effect different facets of your game.  But only he can answer that.  I am not trying to argue here, it's just in my opinion I think he has been put in a tough position here the first two years and he has done quite well under the circumstances.

Moose

« Reply #343 on: February 27, 2013, 09:40:32 PM »
Good question, it may or may not.  I can't answer that but it is possible.  I do know for a fact he is injured and he might have to go under the knife at the end of the season.  If you are not 100 percent it can effect different facets of your game.  But only he can answer that.  I am not trying to argue here, it's just in my opinion I think he has been put in a tough position here the first two years and he has done quite well under the circumstances.

We all agree.  And honestly people here and the other board and STJ fans support him.  He's a soph playing a different position.  If he didnt take the air out of the ball, shoot so much in the 2nd half when numbers significantly go down and Carmine wasn't waxing poetic about him nobody would notice detractors.

Phil is the perfect 6th man to me and I look forward to him being used in that way down the road.  And saying that is not a knock.  Its a compliment.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #344 on: February 28, 2013, 01:03:35 AM »

We all agree.  And honestly people here and the other board and STJ fans support him.  He's a soph playing a different position.  If he didnt take the air out of the ball, shoot so much in the 2nd half when numbers significantly go down and Carmine wasn't waxing poetic about him nobody would notice detractors.

Phil is the perfect 6th man to me and I look forward to him being used in that way down the road.  And saying that is not a knock.  Its a compliment.

Love Phil off the bench in a scoring role. PG mind set is taking him away from his strengths.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #345 on: February 28, 2013, 02:05:17 AM »
I prefer my scorers of the bench be able to shoot but he wouldn't be a bad option especially if he can improve his shooting and add decent 3 pt range to his game. Still has 2 yrs so it is possible.

« Reply #346 on: February 28, 2013, 12:56:35 PM »
I prefer my scorers of the bench be able to shoot but he wouldn't be a bad option especially if he can improve his shooting and add decent 3 pt range to his game. Still has 2 yrs so it is possible.

Think his shooting would be much improved in a more limited role as well as playing on the wing.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #347 on: February 28, 2013, 01:13:09 PM »
 do know for a fact he is injured and he might have to go under the knife at the end of the season.  If you are not 100 percent it can effect different facets of your game.  But only he can answer that.

Here is the transcript from Phil's doctor's appointment:
Phil-"Doc my hip hurts every time I dribble in a complete circle for 30 seconds, what should I do?"
DOCTOR-"Don't dribble in a complete circle for 30 seconds.
Lavin-"But Doc that is my offense!"