Game 1: Bethune Cookman Game Discussion

• 67 replies

MCNPA

Re: Game 1: Bethune Cookman Game Discussion
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2016, 09:47:42 AM »
Interesting to see who the odd man out is going to be next year when Simon enters the fold. I guess we have an entire season to evaluate that, but right now Lovett, Ponds, Ellison, and Mussini all look good, and I wouldn't want to lose any of them. Not sure if there are going to be enough minutes to get all 5 guards playing time. If I really had to choose Mussini would be my choice to go overseas or transfer... Ellison looks really good, Ponds has huge potential and Ellison looks very good so far.

Same goes for the front court. Will there be enough minutes to play Richie F, Yakwe, Sima, Tariq, Clark and Brown? Good problem to have I guess.

We know that everyone was ready for Bethune. Let's see who is ready for Michigan State before thinking about a logjam.

Miles Bridges is a problem. Kid can play

Bridges is a problem.  Yakwe and Owens certainly have the athletic ability to give him trouble though.  Yakwe every bit the athlete bridges is.  Our guys will have to come to play.  With our guard play and depth I think we can give them a hard time but first Bing and then an improved Gooher team.

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2016, 10:01:37 AM »
Interesting to see who the odd man out is going to be next year when Simon enters the fold. I guess we have an entire season to evaluate that, but right now Lovett, Ponds, Ellison, and Mussini all look good, and I wouldn't want to lose any of them. Not sure if there are going to be enough minutes to get all 5 guards playing time. If I really had to choose Mussini would be my choice to go overseas or transfer... Ellison looks really good, Ponds has huge potential and Ellison looks very good so far.

Same goes for the front court. Will there be enough minutes to play Richie F, Yakwe, Sima, Tariq, Clark and Brown? Good problem to have I guess.

We know that everyone was ready for Bethune. Let's see who is ready for Michigan State before thinking about a logjam.

Miles Bridges is a problem. Kid can play

Bridges is a problem.  Yakwe and Owens certainly have the athletic ability to give him trouble though.  Yakwe every bit the athlete bridges is.  Our guys will have to come to play.  With our guard play and depth I think we can give them a hard time but first Bing and then an improved Gooher team.

Yakwe and Ahmed will probably take turns on him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2016, 01:08:26 PM »
Another side note is Ponds looked like he belonged in the starting lineup. No moment seemed too big for him. Scrappy on defense and didn't force it too much.
Agree with your other talking points but to say no moment was too big for him-we beat a low rated team by 47 points-what big moment was there? Though I do agree he seems to have the goods in that department also based more on his HS and AAU days.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 01:09:15 PM by Celtics11 »

desco80

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2016, 08:49:24 PM »
Maybe this was already discussed and I missed it, but what dI'd you guys
think of the new video boards?   I was really impressed.   Plus, they had various graphics ready to go.   Didn't seem mom and pop for a change. 

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2016, 08:53:55 PM »
Maybe this was already discussed and I missed it, but what dI'd you guys
think of the new video boards?   I was really impressed.   Plus, they had various graphics ready to go.   Didn't seem mom and pop for a change. 

I didn't get to go on Friday because of a family wedding but I will be there tomorrow to check out the upgrades to CA. I'm excited, its such a good venue but has felt like it was still stuck in the 80's even with the most recent renovations a couple of years ago.

MCNPA

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2016, 11:35:17 PM »
Speaking of Miles Bridges, I looked at the box score.  Not many other impressive offensive performances by anybody else.  Next best layer had 9 points, but overall not a real balanced offensive effort and low scoring overall..  Bridges was THE guy. 

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2016, 01:36:08 AM »
Just my 2 cents....

Impressed with the teams ft shooting, especially Sima and Yakwe.

Our team defense didnt look horrible. We rotated pretty well.

Lovett looked fast, deliberate, and hit 3s.

Would like to see if Ponds can bring the ball up and set the offense.

RF didnt score but looked good on D and showed some other skills. Plays more like a 3.

Derrian's injuries look like theyve taken a toll.

Could be a 9 man rotation with Amar being the 10th man.

What will this squad look like next season with Clark, Simon, and Brown?  NCAA bound?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 01:37:11 AM by Towerofshred »

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2016, 01:46:58 AM »
My 2 cents, cont.

I wanted to see what Ellison can do in the half court.

Its nice to know we have Bash around, but his iso skills werent necessary Friday.

Didnt really have any expectations for Owens, but he opened my eyes.

Mussini is now a gunner... must shoot...