Who now?

• 95 replies
Re: Who now?
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2014, 12:12:08 PM »
Man a lot of good posters have disappeared over the years. Oh yea and Steve Donahue....thank goodness that didn't happen.
they probably just post under different names now.  :)

pmg911

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2014, 12:27:21 PM »
Looking back its amazing that people didn't think Mark Jackson would be a good hire.

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2014, 01:36:17 PM »
Are there any 2004 threads we can reopen?  I'd like to see the people who loved the Norm hire

Tha Kid

« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2014, 02:22:10 PM »
Are there any 2004 threads we can reopen?  I'd like to see the people who loved the Norm hire

This site opened in 2007....you'll have to ask FUN to open the BEB archives for that one ha ha...
"I drink and I know things"

pmg911

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »

Having looked back at those it was not pretty...

HUGE group of boosters/supporters wanted Calipari and he wanted the job - the school wouldn't pull the trigger. Then they had all but hired Matt Doherty but Harrington shifted gears  and they went with Roberts...

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2014, 02:36:49 PM »
Well Calipari never really amounted to much anyway

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2014, 02:47:55 PM »
If Cal came here would he:

a.  Have left by now to go to a larger program;

b.  Have left by now to take a pro job;

c.  Have left by now and gotten us in trouble in the process; or

d.  Still be here.

I didn't go into results, because there is no doubt we'd be a very successful program if Cal had taken the job back then (absent him leaving and/or NCAA sanctions).

Moose

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2014, 02:54:54 PM »
If Cal came here would he:

a.  Have left by now to go to a larger program;

b.  Have left by now to take a pro job;

c.  Have left by now and gotten us in trouble in the process; or

d.  Still be here.

I didn't go into results, because there is no doubt we'd be a very successful program if Cal had taken the job back then (absent him leaving and/or NCAA sanctions).

A and C
or B and C
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2014, 04:01:38 PM »
Looking back its amazing that people didn't think Mark Jackson would be a good hire.

Always thought he would be a good coach.  I just think he would have held out for any NBA job, over St. John's.

I was pushing for Donahue as much as anybody.  So glad to have been wrong on that.

Never thought Lavin was a candidate, but once his name was announced as one, I felt that he was the most qualified.

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2014, 04:36:30 PM »

Still not sure if he would be. Success in pros doesn't always translate to collegiate. I think he's been great for the Warriors and ultimately made the best choice for himself. We could play the what if... game.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2014, 07:07:16 PM »
I still think Skinner would have been a good hire.

Moose

« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2014, 12:34:51 AM »

Which time?  After Jarvis or Norm?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:35:22 AM by Moose »

« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2014, 01:16:08 AM »

I was only 12 when Jarvis was fired so I dont remember exactly what I thought back then. I think Lavin was the right hire but of the Greenberg, Hewitt, Donahue, Gregory crew I think Skinner wouldve done the best job here.

Moose

« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2014, 08:01:13 AM »

I was only 12 when Jarvis was fired so I dont remember exactly what I thought back then. I think Lavin was the right hire but of the Greenberg, Hewitt, Donahue, Gregory crew I think Skinner wouldve done the best job here.

From what I recall if we struck out on Lavin it would have been Skinner.  I'm not a fan of his.  I'd have my doubts since he hasn't gotten a job since his BC stay.

« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2014, 10:31:43 AM »
I wanted Hewitt.

« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2014, 11:01:15 AM »
Assuming that we couldn't get Billy Donovan (and my understanding was that there was no chance that was happening), I thought Lavs was the best choice at the time.  Followed by Hewitt, given his past recruiting success at G-Tech, I thought he'd do well here.  After that I was kind of indifferent.

Prior to Norm, I wanted Cal when that possibility floated.  That probably would have been the best and worst thing to happen to this program over the past 30 years.