Who now?

• 95 replies
Re: Who now?
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2010, 10:18:56 AM »
No one else realizes how attractive of an option Brad Stevens is?

Tha Kid

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »
I don't know much about Donahue but just by looking at his record at Cornell, I think it's pretty impressive. Their win total improved almost every year and he took them from the dumpster to the tournament (three straight times) and he won in the tournament this year (another improvement for them). How are his recruiting skills?

Cornell was just completely outmatched athletically which isn't surprising considering Kentucky does that to everybody. Cornell played them pretty well until the first half was almost over and then towards the end of the game again. If it was any other team Cornell could have advanced again.

I mean, Donahue's recruiting is a big fat question mark because he couldn't even give out scholarships.  That said, he got some transfers from good schools, including Kentucky.  I think for the mid-major coaches the staff they assemble is absolutely crucial.  Would need at least one guy really connected to NYC AAU.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2010, 11:03:48 AM »
I like Brad Stevens hes doing wonders with Butler but can he come to NY and do the same?

gonzalo

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2010, 03:46:55 PM »
I don't know much about Donahue but just by looking at his record at Cornell, I think it's pretty impressive. Their win total improved almost every year and he took them from the dumpster to the tournament (three straight times) and he won in the tournament this year (another improvement for them). How are his recruiting skills?

From 1994 to 2000 Cornell is 64-93.

Donahue is Cornell coach since 2000-01 season.

In his first six seasons (from 2000 to 2006) Cornell is 58-105.

In 2006-07 season Cornell is 16-12. In 2007-08 season Cornell is 22-5.

In 2008-09 season  Cornell wins 21 games (Ivy league) with 5 juniors as leading scorers (sounds familiar).

Roberts is fired after winning 17 games with a junior-team in the Big East.

No thanks.

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2010, 04:18:46 PM »
Roberts also had a lot more to work with and consistently blew it on the recruiting trail. You have to take Donahue's record overall to see how good he seems to be. He improved almost every year and on top of that improved in the tournament as well.

Wods317

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2010, 04:30:15 PM »
Is it time to look at Mark Jackson and a good assistant as a possibility? I know he has no experience but hes a big name and a good basketball mind. Hes not even close to my top choice but this is getting embarassing being shot down by everyone. He would definitely be able to recruit but would his coaching be so bad that it wouldnt matter? I cant say but its getting time to maybe consider it I think.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2010, 04:38:35 PM »
Not embarrassing.  Greenberg said he was going to stay.  He just came up for coffee and the bagels. (I just came back last week, I forgot how good bialys were. Damn.)

It is never time to look at Mark Jackson.  It's time to look at a good coach - someone who we can't say "boy, we never knew he didn't know how to coach teenage boys!" and find him a good NY-connected assistant.  Grasso. Mo Hicks. Kimani, even.  How are Oz's connections?  Keep on Quartelbaum. 

But please bring in someone who has coached the game of basketball before.  And won a little (yes, I know Willard doesn't have a winning record yet; but the trend is strongly upwards.  And he recruited for Louisville a little.)

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2010, 05:16:26 PM »
Kevin Willard should be considered. He will be a star in the future.

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2010, 05:23:06 PM »
Y'all should look fo the mid-major guys who is scooping up the second-tier NYC talent and winnin wit them.

They the ones who already got ins in NYC.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

boo3

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2010, 05:26:08 PM »
Y'all should look fo the mid-major guys who is scooping up the second-tier NYC talent and winnin wit them.

sounds good.  Who?

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2010, 05:31:18 PM »

sounds good.  Who?

Follow the players and yo answers shall be revealed...
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2010, 05:49:58 PM »
At this point, I want Willard
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2010, 06:33:37 PM »
Yea, we need to look low to mid major.
Willard, McCaffrey, Gregory and Baron.

xhoops

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2010, 07:11:12 PM »
Yea, we need to look low to mid major.
Willard, McCaffrey, Gregory and Baron.
How bout a up and coming high school coach ?........MARK JACKSON geeze........he knows how to run an offense.....obviously experienced coach ROBERTS didn't.

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2014, 12:36:02 PM »
McCaffrey  looks like the best hire

« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »
Baldi wasn't happy with the lack of posts in the "New head coach" thread.

But, I agree.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:39:04 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2014, 01:29:03 PM »
McCaffrey  looks like the best hire
I would have enjoyed seeing his "smart-like" melt downs...

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2014, 12:56:01 AM »
I think it's a good time to revisit this thread.

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2014, 01:17:53 AM »
Man a lot of good posters have disappeared over the years. Oh yea and Steve Donahue....thank goodness that didn't happen.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2014, 11:42:51 AM »
In retrospect, Sean Miller would have been the best bet.  Not that there was a chance he would have come.  Mark Jackson would have been good.  Other than that, Lavin was a great pick.  Remember this thread once Lavin leaves and we're looking at a bunch of retreads again.