2016-2017 Schedule

• 254 replies

paultzman

2016-2017 Schedule
« on: April 13, 2016, 09:56:41 AM »
Per Rothstein;

St. John's will host Binghamton as part of its 16-17 non-conference schedule, source told @CBSSports. #sjubb

Re: 2016-2017 Schedule
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
Bearcat mania ! I heard we tried to get oneonta or Oswego but they were booked already
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:11:11 AM by valgoth »

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 10:14:17 AM »
Bearcat mania ! I heard we tried to get oneonta or Oswego but they were booked already

And doubtful we ever schedule Incarnet word ever again.   Gimme University of Phoenix

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 12:49:05 PM »
Longwood

goredmen

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 12:55:41 PM »
Longwood

You realize almost all high major schools avoid scheduling good mid majors right? This isn't isolated to SJU

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 01:04:19 PM »
Longwood

You realize almost all high major schools avoid scheduling good mid majors right? This isn't isolated to SJU

Of course I know that. It's tough for good mid majors to schedule.

There are a few ways to look at this. Need to get some wins etc. But how does playing the likes of Binghamton, Longwood etc help the team in anyway.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 01:11:03 PM »
Longwood

There are a few ways to look at this. Need to get some wins etc. But how does playing the likes of Binghamton, Longwood etc help the team in anyway.

I think it's ok to have an easy game, or two. The coach can try out new line ups, and get new players a chance to get their feet wet. It's when you have a Norm Roberts schedule and your toughest game is Virginia Tech before the BE begins that you're in trouble.

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 01:22:55 PM »
Longwood

I think it's ok to have an easy game, or two. The coach can try out new line ups, and get new players a chance to get their feet wet. It's when you have a Norm Roberts schedule and your toughest game is Virginia Tech before the BE begins that you're in trouble.

These 2 games are fine if they are followed with some better teams coming through

goredmen

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 01:26:28 PM »
Longwood

They don't help much but the problem is there is absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose by scheduling a good mid major that can beat you. That's why when high majors want to add solid teams to their schedule they call other high majors since the downside of losing is much lower. It's also better for the conference as a whole for the teams to avoid losing to the Monmouths and Iona of the world

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 01:41:23 PM »
Longwood

You also don't want a losing mentality i you schedule nothing but good mid major/power teams.
We'll get at least 2 good opponents next year as part of the Battle in Atlantis.
We'll get Syracuse at the Carrier Dome
We'll likely get a Big 10 Team (Thats not Rutgers) as part of the Gavitt Games (I can see a Northwestern or Illinois)
And maybe 1 or 2 more Power Conference Teams.
I'd love to get Fordham back in our gym.
And this won't happen but I'd love a game vs Hofstra at the new Nassau Coliseum (They are playing Kentucky there)

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 01:45:26 PM »
Longwood

They don't help much but the problem is there is absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose by scheduling a good mid major that can beat you. That's why when high majors want to add solid teams to their schedule they call other high majors since the downside of losing is much lower. It's also better for the conference as a whole for the teams to avoid losing to the Monmouths and Iona of the world

But it's better to lose to Incarate word?  Losing to the Monmouths or Iona's of the world does not hurt your RPI or SOS.
But I'm guessing we are 2 years away from caring about the RPI
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 01:47:10 PM by Marco Baldi »

goredmen

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 01:58:35 PM »
Longwood

But it's better to lose to Incarate word?  Losing to the Monmouths or Iona's of the world does not hurt your RPI or SOS.
But I'm guessing we are 2 years away from caring about the RPI

I'm mainly referring to decent teams with some sort of aspirations for the season. It obviously didn't matter who we could have scheduled this past year, we would have had a decent chance of losing. For teams that think they are on the cusp of the tournament or something it's better to have your non conference schedule packed with easy wins and tough high major teams. Better to play to a Vanderbilt or Georgia Tech than a Monmouth or Iona when those teams are probably all equal. For some reason, optically it's better to beat a middling SEC or ACC team than a top MAAC team and a loss to the bigger conference teams don't look as bad

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 02:01:21 PM »
Serious question. Was Monmouth considered a "bad loss" for USC and Notre Dame?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:02:29 PM by Marco Baldi »

desco80

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 02:01:21 PM »
We need a second out of conference rivalry game.
BC seems like a good fit imo.   Alternate home and away. 

goredmen

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 02:53:51 PM »

It turned out not to be because Monmouth proved themselves to be a legit team throughout the entirety of the season. However losing to an Iona or Siena, two teams that probably could have beaten teams like USC and ND on a good day, wouldn't have looked good on a bubble team's resume

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »

It turned out not to be because Monmouth proved themselves to be a legit team throughout the entirety of the season. However losing to an Iona or Siena, two teams that probably could have beaten teams like USC and ND on a good day, wouldn't have looked good on a bubble team's resume

Wouldn't have looked good because the bigs refuse to schedule them. I'm sure Monmouth will have schedule problems now, outside of Cuse at the dome

goredmen

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 03:43:10 PM »

Wouldn't have looked good because the bigs refuse to schedule them. I'm sure Monmouth will have schedule problems now, outside of Cuse at the dome

Yes, no decent team is going to schedule a mid major that has more than a puncher's chance of beating them

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 04:48:09 PM »
We have a bunch of 4 star players. Hope no one is afraid of Iona. They are one of the best local teams. We should be playing them. Not embrassing if we lose. But we should t lose often. It is embrassing if we won't play them.

goredmen

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 04:54:11 PM »
We have a bunch of 4 star players. Hope no one is afraid of Iona. They are one of the best local teams. We should be playing them. Not embrassing if we lose. But we should t lose often. It is embrassing if we won't play them.

Yes, it is embarassing for St. John's of the Big East to lose to Iona of the MAAC, especially when we are supposed to be good

Poison

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 05:05:18 PM »
We already have SU at the Dome, and we have Atlantis. I think that's a solid start. Binghamton is only a bad idea if it's part of a non-conference schedule that also includes 5 or 6 more like them.